Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• tuttaviatuttavia Posts: 7
    I guess the internet division of one of the Toyota dealer may not have been serious a couple of weeks ago when she said "one [xrs] ... should arrive early next week:
    2003 Matrix 2WD XRS Auto: White
    V.I.P Security System
    $20,124"
    I emailed her back and offered her $20,000, out the door (including tax & license, etc.), but I haven't heard back. I was at another dealer where they said they had one, too.
    Regarding XR's, the "no-haggle" Credit Union representative price at a few dealers , a group purchasing arrangement similar to CostCo, has been around $17,500, including Sports Package, 17" tires, auto trans, not including tax & license.
    All I've really been looking for is a decent used wagon, like a late model Accord or Camry, but I can't seem to find one. Minivans are too big for my needs. The Matrix is the closest to what I am looking for -- and then some! I like the one I tried very much, just concerned about having sufficent HPs. Has anyone tried one on the freeway -- did it seem like it could keep up with traffic?
  • MY XR IS DOING WELL ON THE SO. CAL. FREEWAY. LOTS
    OF KICK AND ZIP. NO PROBLEM AT ALL. CRUISE SPEED
    THE MATRIX ENGINE IS VERY QUIET. THE HANDLING REMINDS ME OF MY ACCORD AND 91 ALFA SPIDER VELOCE VERY SPORTY AND NIMBLE. DROVE AROUND STAPLES CENTER AND DOWNTOWN L.A. TODAY, EVERYONE ON THE STREET WERE
    STARING AT THE CAR. MY XR IS FULLY LOADED EXCEPT FOR MOONROOF AND NAVIGATOR OPTIONS. VERY HAPPY SO FAR. IF THE RACING LIMITED EDITION
    MATRIX IS OFFERED I WILL TRADE IT IN MY XR. I NEED TO LOWER THE CAR ONCE THE LOWER SPRINGS ARE AVAILABLE HERE THROUGH MY DEALER
    FOR BETTER PROPORTION AESTHETICLY. CARGO COVER SUCKS, VERY TACKY IMO.
  • TupTup Posts: 200
    Well, I'm not sure if I've used the rear washer yet. I will try it out and let you know. I must say the front washer is about the best I've used in any vehicle. It has 3 jets on each side and the coverage is perfect. I always seem to waste washer fluid in other cars trying to time the spray to when the wiper will carry the fluid over to a place where the sprayers blind spot. I also like the fact that the rear wiper is vinyl and not metal. On a hatchback or wagon or SUV, metal rear wipers rust fairly quickly due to all the salt spray that hits them.
    Thanks luckyeight, glad to hear about your satisfaction with your XR. Freeway use, with its stop and go as well as long-term higher speeds, has been a concern of mine since the dealers don't usually take you out for a test drive on a freeway -- rush hour traffic wouldn't be too fun anyway. Also, I too like the handling of the Matrix I tried -- I especially noticed the steering around corners and braking to be more responsive than the new Civic I've also tried. To all, and with apologies if any of these topics were covered somewhere around/between message #'s 124 and 130 (I haven't had a chance to read a lot of the first 800 messages):
    - What is the Racing Limited Edition or is there a link to where I can read about it?
    - Will any of the dealers let you get the LoJack security instead of the VIP (once the VIP security option is already listed)? Can I get LoJack from someplace other than a dealer? (The LoJack website doesn't indicate so.)
    - Is there any web resource that has safety or crash test results for the Matrix?
    - Has anyone dealt with North Hollywood Toyota? I'm not in the Valley but their website indicates a 0% financing special on new cars.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I like that site, though some of the people on there reviewing are a bit wacko. Good to combine people reviews with professional.
  • I've used my rear window washer fluid and in just runs down in a straight line, no sprayer.

On a side note I forgot to mention I went up north last weekend and man the high beams are amazing!!!!!!! I've never sean high beams light up a road so well, Great job Toyota!!!!!
  • My rear window sprayer shoots out in a fan pattern. I was actually worried the first time I saw it because I was expecting a straight line.
    The AC outlet seems like a great convenience. How long can you use it before you wear down the battery? Would there be a warning signal? Is it different when the car is running vs with the engine off? I have no experience with this, thanks.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Check out this new discussion: Matrix & Vibe Enthusiasts - Compare Notes. For future reference, you'll also find a direct link to this discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Posts: 218
    The local dealer (Irvine) said they (XRS's) are getting some in April. When I inquire, I'm told "they're still in production" meanwhile there are people around the country posting on this site who are driving them. When I say that, some of the staffers express genuine surprise at the info, so I wonder just who at the dealership gets the real scoop from company. I got the "brochure" on the Matrix from Toyota, ordered it on their website. It's kinda chintzy, not even a real brochure, just 2-3 pages of newspaper, like an insert you get in the Sunday paper. The info on the website is much more useful.
  • TupTup Posts: 200
    Yes, the rear sprayer shoots out a wide stream of spray. On a good note, you can spray lots of fluid and the wiper doesn't automatically start up. This allows the glass to get more fluid on it before you start up the wiper.

As for the headlights, yes I noticed the high beams are very effective! I also noticed that the Matrix has 2 lights on each side 1 engages in low beam and both for high beam. The Vibe only has one light on each side for both high/low. I would have thought they would be the same.
  • o.k Tup I can't figure out the sprayer. Mine just comes straight down. I know you can get it to come out by turning towards you and away. I haven't really paid attention to the difference I think one will go with no wiper and the other way with wiper but I still don't get why yours has a wide spray and mine doesn't. I'll have to look closer next time I use it.
    Have you noticed the lack of advertising for the Matrix in the newspapers by the individual Toyota dealers? For most cars there is a huge picture of it and the price. I haven't seen one for the Matrix. I've seen a TV ad. I guess it's just word of mouth and reviews in magazines & online. I wonder if this means I can get them to drop the dealer advertising charges in the price of the car?
    Here are two conflicting reports regarding the number of prongs in the AC outlet. I didn't check when I saw it in person. Maybe one review was of a prototype or something.

“3-pin [AC] outlet”

http://autonet.ca/wow/stories.cfm?storyID=3913

“a fully-functional, two-prong 115-volt power outlet is standard on XR and XRS”

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4435&sid=181&n=157

Did anyone check? If it's 2-pronged, I wonder if it would hurt to use the adapter for 3-pronged appliances.
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Posts: 96
    I was talking to the owner of my local dealership the other night re the lack of advertising locally on the Matrix(who was being very honest as he is my brother-in-law!) and he said he will not put a cent into advertising a car he cannot get! He claims Toyota really screwed up in not doing any inventory...he has all Matrixes sold he can get up to August except for 1 blk auto xr in stock and he is pretty sure that is gone too. He is a realatively small dealership and he is only allotted 1 matrix per month. That is a slap in the face to him...he sells more than 12 Corollas a month every month...why 1 Matrix. People want these cars but he can't get them. He and the other dealers in the area are quite upset that they released this car with no inventory! He doesn't know what happened but he feels that Toyota really dropped the ball on this one. Normally they have more than enough to sell...He is loosing customers everyday because and I don't blame them...people do not want to wait! They can go to the Mazda dealer and get any color and option pckg they want on a protege5 for similiar money and options...

My XR is slated for delivery in June but I hear now that they are behind schedule at the factory and I could be waiting a while longer than this...I am very patient and have a good car now but I know many others that will not wait.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I've been out of town all weekend and just got back. If you don't mind driving a bit, there are a bunch of car dealers in So. Cal. (well, sort of So. Cal.) that will let you test drive on the freeway. They are located in Bakersfield (as I said, a little drive, and that drive over the Grapevine is really pretty). There are a bunch of dealers on the southern end of town (White Lane exit from the 99), and they all use the 99 for test drives.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Dealer called last Friday to inform me that our XR 4WD has a completion date of April 19, 2002. Delivery would be approx. 7 days later.

On the subject of availability... Toyota plans to produce 75,000 Matrixes yearly for sale in North America. There are 1,420 Toyota dealers in the US and Canada. Based on this information, here is the breakdown... each dealer could receive 52.82 vehicles per year which translates to 4.4 vehicles per month. Some, in high volume areas will receive more while others will receive less. I am sure you get the message. It's easy to see why advertising may not be necessary for some time. Price negotiating will be minimal and wait times will be long (as long as the Matrix remains high in demand). Price increases are also a possibility in the fall. Just my perspective.
  • rpgropperpgroppe Posts: 24
    I wonder what Toyota thought the demand for the Matrix would be?

It's a fairly well established marketing strategy for some new products to be kept in artificially low supply. The resultant "buzz" over the shortage creates higher demand than there would be otherwise, and therefor higher profits over the long term.

It happens in everything from ultra high end luxury cars to fashion.

Of course, it's possible that Toyota simply underestimated demand. =))
  • Seems like the higher volume dealers have plenty and are even discounting them a little below MSRP in the DC/MD area.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    It's a two prong outlet. Not sure I'd hook a 3-prong adapter, as most 3 prong devices are usually a "higher powered" device, which may overwhelm the 1amp ability of the outlet on the Matrix.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    That's good. For a while the only place going under MSRP in the DC area was Carmax, and that was only $500.

I haven't been checking around lately as I've locked into my Costco price.
    At this time Toyota can only produce 75,000 yearly. Even if the demand was for 150,000, Toyota could not meet the requirements. The only way production can be increased would be to either expand existing plants or build a new one.

It looks like Toyota's strategy is to offer many different vehicles that fall within a certain category using the few, existing platforms. This will keep manufacturing costs low while offering a variety of vehicles. Better off building too few than too many.

The demand for the Matrix will eventually decline. If it doesn't, Toyota probably has plans to expand or build a new, similar type of vehicle only larger or both.
  • edchenedchen Posts: 31
    It's is a three prong outlet with a non-functional ground I believe.
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THE MATRIX CAN TOW, IF ANY? I'M SURE IT WON'T BE MUCH BUT AM CURIOUS. THANKS!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They are still going for like $500 under MSRP. Right now, they have 2 XRS 6-speeds in stock if anyone's interested.
    The Matrix can tow 1,500lbs. Please don't shout. It hurts my ear drums.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Can someone here can respond to blyndgesser1's question (post 3) in our new Matrix & Vibe Enthusiasts discussion? Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • zukhovzukhov Posts: 34
    Not sure what the current situation is at the Cambridge Ontartio plant is. Maybe there is an opportunity to add another shift.
    The lack of supply, especially in certain areas, could be a planned strategy to keep prices high (as pointed out above). But if it was a miscalculation then there may be a behemoth-like corporate recoil in reaction to that realization. Then they may begin to overproduce. Finally they will have to sell the cars for the prices that were to have made this car so appealing to many. Of course, by then it will be time for the 2004 model which may have some improvements.
    But, I need a car soon. (I have to avoid trips to Bakersfield -- good suggestion mtngal -- and save wear and tear on my current vehicle for work until I make my purchase.)