Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    you are not supposed to top up after the pump stops, because it can damage the smog equipment.

You can extend the life of the fuel pump a little if you fill up when you get down to a quarter tank - for me this happens at about 350 miles or so per tank. Then it doesn't have to work so hard pumping out that gas that is right at the bottom of the tank.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• hudraheadhudrahead Posts: 169
    nippon: when you think about it, isn't ALL the gas @ the bottom of the tank all the time? I always thought the reason for not running the tank almost empty was that it allows the pump to run cooler due to a larger volume of gas that kinda acts like a "heat sink" or sorta like a coolant.

HUD :):)
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Electric fuel pumps are typically mounted at the bottom of the tank. They are always pumping uphill in cars, since the tank is almost always lower than the fuel inlet on the engine. Trucks may be different in that the tanks might be mounted higher. Technically, as the fuel level decreases the static pressure at the bottom of the tank decreases slightly and therefore the pump has to increase it's workload slightly to make up for the static head loss. However, the heat build up, due to a reduced fuel volume acting as a heatsink, is probably a trade-off in terms of long term stress on the pump.
    There might be a danger of sucking in some floating debris or other lighter fluids when the fuel level gets really low; stuff that would never get near the pump if the fuel level is kept somewhat higher.
    There is a possibility of damage to the smog equipment if the tank is overfilled, according to a number of manufacturers.

OK, my engineer's hat is now off..
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Any of you Matrix owners have issue with how your A/C unit cools the car?
    most of the time...takes its time if it is 100+ degrees and the car has been parked in the sun, though.

Pontiac has issued a service bulletin for my Vibe's A/C but I was trying to find out if Toyota has issued one for my roomie's Matrix. He and I have both noticed that his A/C as well as mine did not blow very cool.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Since the bulletin (Vibe) deals with an adjustment issue, it may only effect Vibes built at the NUMMI plant, and not the Matrix built in their plant in Canada.
  • matthew525matthew525 Posts: 52
    No problems with the A/c here in southeastern VA. Knocks the humidity out and the heat. Can't say it was as fast as some - but it gets the job done where I have to turn it back to the notch above off.
  • xrsborlaxrsborla Posts: 2
    I am considering a Matrix XRS with a Borla Exhaust system. Anyone have one? if so can you tell me what to expect performance wise as well as any issues you have encountered, Also does any one have a Cold Air Intake syatem installed? I am test Driving on Saturday.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    check out the matrix owners forum. There are many posts dealing with your question.

In general, some owners report a 2-3hp boost from the exhaust. TRD also has one which is reputed to be good (check out their website for availability and cost). The Injen CAI with TRD/Borla exhaust is a better combination than one or the other. But you may want to consider a Turbo or S/C, if speed is an issue for you. The latter is not out tho', but I've read of someone with the Turbo on their XR, and getting as much as 230whp+.

Hope this helps.
  • xrsborlaxrsborla Posts: 2
    Thank You very much for your response OAC3. My Wife and I tested the XRS today it was great we drove a Sentra Spec V on Wednesday and the decision stands at Black XRS, Moonroof/6 CD changer with only Borla exhaust for now. TRD says it boosts HP to 200. We will be purchasing on this wednedday and expect delivery 10 days after, coincidentally the dealer ordered one with the same specs previously and should arrive in two weeks. TTYL
  • Can anyone tell me what grade of fuel is required for the Matrix XRS?
  • hurler4hurler4 Posts: 104
    malibu_jack, premium fuel is recommended, but according to a couple of dealers I talked to, it is not required. I think you lose power if you use 87 octane, but that's about it.

Does anyone know where I can get a basic Toyota Matrix service manual? I just want instructions on routine maintenance instructions, such as oil changes, spark plug replacement, etc. Haynes doesn't seem to have a book out for the Matrix yet, which is too bad because they had a great book for my last car (Nissan Altima).

I've had my black 2004 Matrix XR 5-speed for a week and love it! No complaints at all, really. I did scrape the front spoiler a bit going up a steep driveway off a main road. The owners of the Inn at Woodstock Hill in CT should have warned me about that road! :-D
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Please share what you paid in our new Toyota Matrix: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. If you recently posted that information here, feel free to copy/paste it into this new discussion.

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    went to turn the car off this morning, and the hazard lights came on briefly, then went off...anyone else had that happen??

• maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    only after I drink too much....he, he, he

• petlpetl Posts: 610
    That happens when I accidently hit the locking feature on the keyless entry remote. You might have done the same.
    didn't think of that - that may very well be what it was...thanks!

• Last 2 tanks have been 31.8 mpg and 32.4 mpg respectively. In each case about half interstate and half 2-lane highways going through towns, etc.

Since Memorial Day weekend have driven about 1,750 miles and averaged 29.1 mpg. I hope the better gas mileage continues after the weather tunrs cooler again.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    for people like herzogtum71 who brag about their Matrix mileage on or above 30 mpg...!!!
    (Just kidding...!)

Darn it, I can't even get 25 mpg going downhill in neutral with a backside breeze and the engine off... And I've got 2 wheel drive..
    hertzo & micro: Just got back from a trip from Florida to Southern Ohio and back, just under 3000mi. 90 % interstate travel @ a constant 80mph (honest officer just going with the flow of traffic)the rest on winding country roads,A/C on ALL the time & virtually no city stop and go stuff. Total average for the trip 31.8 mpg!The VIBE only has a total of just over 4000K on the clock so still is not really broken in yet. I'm told the Toyota 1.8 twirler take 10K to really loosen up ? My (wife's)car is also A/T.

I am generally happy with the VIBE but it really does need at least 10 more hp and 20 more ft.lbs of torque. It struggled a little in the Smokies, hunted in & out of overdrive a lot. We were carrying about 500 pounds of "stuff" on the trip up. It was a little better coming home with a lighter load. All in all it's a great little car for the money. Rock steady and very quiet @ 80 mph and not the least tiresome. Ran 750 miles in one day and really felt like I could have gone another 200 with no problem.

of this car: long interstate trips are effortless, yet driving through the canyon to the beach is lots of fun too!

Still averaging around 31 mpg in town here (FWD auto).

• xr5speedxr5speed Posts: 13
    I noticed recently that my gas mileage was a bit lower (34/35 mpg vs 38) and chalked it up to using the A/C more. I then bought a tank of Chevron and the mileage went back up. Not enough time, of course, to be statistically valid (I put a little air in the tires as well) but I will keep an eye on it.

Anyone have information on the benefits of synthetic oil?
  • scottdudescottdude Posts: 177
    Here's the darndest thing...

A couple months ago I thought about getting a new car and I decided that I really liked the look of the Vibe over the Matrix. But now I'm starting to see more Matrix's on the road and I actually think I'm starting to like its looks better now. If I didn't know better, I'd say that Toyota made subtle "Vibe" like styling changes to the Matrix over the last few months, but I know thats silly.

I guess maybe familiarity breeds contentment?
    dude: I saw a LOT more VIBES on the road than TRIXES on my trip from Florida to Ohio and back. There seems to be a definate demographic difference in the drivers (owners ?)of each vehicle. I noticed the Matrix seemed to mostly be a older group, grey hairs even, and slanted towards the female side. The VIBE on the other hand seemed like the folks were younger and mostly driving like they had just robbed a bank !I bought the VIBE because with the rebates, GM card points, loyalty money etc there was no way Toyota could come even near the deal I got on the VIBE.

pretty sure they didn't change anything for the '04...except for details like the speedo display inside.

Here in the Metro DC area, the majority of people seem to be driving the Matrix. However, on a recent trip to the beach I saw a lot of Vibes on the road. The demographic for both was wide.

I myself chose the Vibe because I prefer its styling over that of the Matrix and because I like the added roofrack. But I'd say the Matrix out numbers the Vibe by maybe 10 to 1. Which is good for me because I don't like having a car thats too popular. Kinda makes ya not feel special anymore. lol
  • Went to lunch the other day with 3 people I used to work with and discovered that 3 of the 4 people there now have a Matrix/Vibe. The woman in her 60's has a Matrix (traded in a RAV4), and went for the Toyota because of the convenient location of the dealer. My wife in her mid-40's is the main driver of our 4WD Matrix, and we likewise were swayed mainly by the location of the dealer. The Vibe owner also is a female, probably around 40. She has a Pontiac dealer near where she lives, and she liked the Vibe styling better than the Matrix. Dunno what this says about demographics....

Question: What is the name of the Matrix/Vibe thing they are building in Fremont, CA, for export to Japan? It was mentioned in this forum long ago, but I can't remember when or where.
    is called Voltz.