Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    Voltz I believe. I heard it has the Vibe styling.

Picked up my Matrix today and less than 5 miles from the dealer got a rock chip in the windshield. My first mod will be to install rocket launchers so that I can destroy gravel trucks.
  • Yes, the Voltz. Thanks very much. Sorry to hear about the chipped windshield. We went through about a windshield per year when we lived in Colorado where the gravel trucks weren't required to have a cover.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    And thanks for sharing the details in our new Toyota Matrix Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. We look forward to hearing all about your ownership experience. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    To Everyone- You'll now find a direct link to our Toyota Matrix: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion on the left side of this page.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    that with regard to demographics, since Toyota customers are generally quite a bit older than Pontiac buyers (who are the youngest in the industry barring Scion), the Matrix owners out there are going to be an older group than the Vibe owners. Stands to reason, I would say.

It does seem like guys are in the minority in the 'Trix, though, from what I have seen...

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• sueshesueshe Posts: 3
    It seems like forever. I'm finally off to pick up my new Matrix today. It has been on order since July 12th. I will post my findings as I notice them.

Have a great weekend all... pretty sure I will

Sueshe
    Since there was some discussion a while back about low mileage numbers on the Trix I thought I'd post mine. I didn't do the math for my first fill up, but I did for the second and third. I got 25.8mpg and 24.5mpg in mixed driving. The sticker calls for 25/32 for the 04 XRS, while the 03's were rated at 22/29. My results fit better with last year's rating than this year's.
  • I think Toyota has realized that it's not the 20-something crowd that is buying the Matrix. I have an '03, and all it says on the back is Matrix. I didn't hear anything about "Corolla Matrix" until my insurance company was trying to find it in their books so they could quote a rate. But I noticed that my former co-worker's '04 says "Corolla Matrix" prominently on the back of the car. She's in her 60's and said that's why she decided to look at the car. She'd had a Corolla wagon before, and thought she'd like another one. I think Toyota now wants to stress the Corolla connection, while they had tried to minimize it when the Matrix first was released.
    Hmm. I had seen references to the Corolla Matrix before in last year's press.

Mine is an 04 and doesn't say Corolla on it anywhere. However, the sticker described the car as "Corolla Matrix 4- Door XRS 2WD CUV." When the car was introduced last year I saw some reviewers commenting that Toyota was calling it a CUV or Crossover Utility Vehicle. But I never saw anything from Toyota that said that until I bought mine and looked at the sticker. The brochure doesn't use the CUV or Corolla terms anywhere.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    By at least occasionally referring to the car as the Corolla Matrix, its sales can be added to Corolla sales, making Toyota look better in marketing and sales stats.
    the only place my car was ever a "corolla matrix" was on the front of the owner's manual. I have not seen any '04s with the corolla matrix insignia...all the ones at the local dealers just say matrix.

But I guess it wasn't a huge secret that matrix was basically a corolla hatchback or wagon (depending on your perspective) was it?! :-)

• oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    But the Trix is a Corolla. Same platform, same 1.8L vvt-i engine (base/XR), a tweak here, a tweak there and voila.... a Matrix.

My ins. co. also had same issue calling my '03 a Corolla Matrix even when there was no reference to Corolla anywhere in the brochure of the car. May have helped get me a *cheap* ins premium at $500/yr in So Cal.

Demographics are truly all over the place. I see many older folks driving the Trix around town here. A few are driven my ladies, most others are young punks ... ehm... guys like me. hehehehe...
  • that your '04's don't say Corolla Matrix on the back hatch. Is that something the local dealer would add? Or maybe different marketing strategy in different regions of the country? I'm in New England.
    It could be a regional thing. I'm in the central Atlantic region and I have yet to see a Matrix with any kind of Corolla badging on it.
  • zombozombo Posts: 89
    The Celica was originally based on the Corolla platform-engine and trans,yet it was marketed as a sporty car with no connection to it's economy car roots.IMO it says Corolla Matrix on the window sticker for insurance purposes and possibly to lure older buyers,but the looks and body badging say sport wagon. I bought mine because to me it was a roomier version of the Celica,which had no leg or head room for a taller person.
  • hudraheadhudrahead Posts: 169
    Ther is NO mention of Corolla or Toyota anywhere on my Vibe. All paperwork from factory, all insurance papers, loan paperwork, all just say Pontiac Vibe or just Pontiac. Go figure. They are built in different factories tho, Matrix in Canada and Vibe in California ( alongside Corollas by the way LOL) I too think the marketing folks are surprised at the demogaphics of who's buying Matrix / Vibe. My wife is over 60 and loves the Vibe plus there are several in her various clubs and I see three or four at church all driven by "white hairs" ! Of course we have a 80 year old that drives a new Vette convertable to church as well. He states that's the only way he can stay ahead of the devil. Too much LOL !!

HUD :):)
    I guess that makes sense. A Pontiac shopper may not place any value on establishing the connection between the Vibe and the Corolla where as a Toyota shopper might. If the Pontiac shopper is a serious buy American type then the connection may even be a detriment.

There is so much platform sharing going on within and between manufacturers not very many cars are "pure" original designs from the ground up.

Does the sticker for the Sienna van call it the Camry Sienna?
    (San Francisco region): no corolla badging anywhere on the current Matrix here, and I know we have the '04s at the local lots now because I went to look at those new white-digit gauges.

• npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Well from the very first article I read about the Vibe, which I have and the Corolla which my roomie has, I had always seen references to the Corolla.

As a matter of fact my roomie got his 04 Matrix two weeks after I got my 04 Vibe and it was on the sticker as big as day "Corolla Matrix". It shocked my roomie (whose not a car buff like myself) but it meant only good things to be because I knew my Vibe and his Trix had reliability riding behind them.

What people seem to forget is that The Vibe/Matrix is the same deal Toyota and GM had with the Corolla/Nova-Geo-Prism if I remember correctly.

Vibe/Matrix are just modern wagon versions.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    Good points. The only downside (if any) is that the Trix will have a slightly higher resale than the Vibe. However, original sticker prices for the Vibe was sightly higher than the Trix, but there are more GM incentives to make OTD price for the Vibe slightly lower, which may account partly for the lower resale of the Vibe.

BTAIM, a Vibe/Trix is a good car to have and should be a reliable vehicle for many years. Congrats on your new purchase.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    And the warranty is better and longer on the Trix, in the USA at least.
  • 2003 Matrix XR Auto FWD. 1st tank: 26.9 mpg.
    Last tank (today) 21.7 mpg.

Time to get rid of this turkey. Anybody want to buy a slightly used (3500 miles) silver Matrix, sports package, sun roof, Viper security system?
  • The only precedent for "Corolla Matrix" that comes to mind is the Tercel from the 1980s. I remember commercials about the "Toyota Corolla Tercel." A friend of mine had one, but I can't remember if it actually said "Corolla" anywhere on the car itself.
    it said "corolla tercel"...with the redesign in '84 ('83?) of corolla, tercel became a separate line.

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The Camry Solara. I'm not sure if the new 04 model is still using the Camry part of its name though.
    the list is growing of things to have corrected at the next oil change: windshield wipers whining loudly and even making a sort of abrasive sound - not confidence inspiring; rear view mirror (inside) wobbles a lot on city streets, so much I can't tell how far things behind me are; both A-pillar panels are rattling and buzzing most of the time now, and the top lid of the console has a broken hinge...disappointing for me given my past experience of Toyota..."they don't make 'em like they used to"? Or "darn GM for those cheap interior pieces"? Or neither?

Mine was a year old a week ago Friday.

May be my last new Toyota...drove a Civic SI today - was most impressed by engine pick-up and rattle-freedness!

• a. Don't blame GM. Toyota approved every piece inside that car. If Toyota did not want to use them, they would have changed them. It's not even built in the same factory as the Vibe. Suppliers vary, as well. Toyota is responsible for the Matrix, not GM. Just as GM is responsible for the Vibe, not Toyota.

b. You might want to look at the relative reliability of the Civic before you jump. It's no Toyota. Then again, some say the Matrix isn't either...
  • Mine's an 04 and I am hoping that most of these niggling little issues were fixed. No rattles yet.

Wipers are a wear item. Have you changed them at all in a year or is it the wiper motors you are having a problem with?

Was the SI new? Most new cars are pretty good about "rattlefreeness".
    most new cars are rattle-free, eh?! Mine wasn't, but the only rattle it came with was fixed after two tries by the dealership. Since then, several others have come and gone and I haven't minded, but these A-pillars are now persistent.

As to the wipers, I was referring to the motor, not the blades.

Yup, the SI was new...only things the SI owners here at Edmunds have had problems with seem to be weak hand brake (I always park in gear anyway) and oil consumption at 1 quart/3K, which I expect in any Honda.

Nothing the Matrix has done gives me any indication that its mechanical reliability will be anything less than all the millions of corollas that have gone before it, and I very much appreciate that. But one can also be niggled to death by minor repairs like these wipers and broken trim or latches, and really at 20K I would hope NOT to have stuff like that yet. I hardly even use that console-top storage compartment...

...on the plus side, I am finding as some others have mentioned that the Continental tires give a good ride while seeming to have great longevity...extrapolating from current wear, I would think I would be able to get 50K out of 'em, no sweat.

• Seems rather strange that my "business vehicle",supposed piece of GM crap Sunfire with 45K on the clock has nary a squeek or rattle (or ANY other problem to date)runs like a watch (love that 2.2 Ecotec)and my wife's Vibe has all kinds of niggling quality control glitches, paint probs,buzzes and rattles galore !! What gives ? Are the Toyota Q /C folks @ the NUMMI plant asleep or what ?

HUD :):)