Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reader's Rides & Photos

123457»

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,536

I put 10 bags of Mulch in the 3er last year. This year the Pilot took 30 with 2 kids in the back seat;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• slorenzenslorenzen Posts: 288

I put 2 yards of super soil in the bed of my truck, around #1000 lbs.

Rode better...

:p

• ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 476

@ray80 said: (Oh Yeah, as much as I hated to, being a guy, I had to get the book out to get directions on how to put the thing in reverse, little different )

That color is very nice. I love how green and blue are coming back in style and edging out the ubiquitous "50 shades of gray" that Mercedes got going a while back. I was over silver about 10 minutes after it came out.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,948

About 5 years ago, I bought some Mirada/Cordoba alloy wheels for $75, with the intention of putting them on my '79 5th Ave one day. Well, I finally got around to it. Please excuse the blue-walls, for the time being B)

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,445

@andre1969 said: About 5 years ago, I bought some Mirada/Cordoba alloy wheels for $75, with the intention of putting them on my '79 5th Ave one day. Well, I finally got around to it. Please excuse the blue-walls, for the time being B)

Looks good, Andre! Can I be the first to say.... "It's about time!" :p

Those alloys will also fit my '57 DeSoto, but I know better to do that...the 70's and 50's really don't mix well...sort of like watching a Happy Day's episode and seeing all those Farrah Fawcett-inspired feathered hairstyles on the women...and sometimes the men!

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,683

Here's one :p

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Funny that the photo shows $1.30 fuel during a time when that was outrageously expensive! Fuel was also that cost in the late 1990s for a few years, but it wasn't "expensive" that time around. :p

Well, I don't have to remember too far back, as my '67 Catalina, '76 LeMans, and '79 Chryslers have the fuel filler behind the license plate.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,677
    edited June 30

My fintail has the filler behind the plate, too. I put gas in it 8 days ago, so I remember those days ;)

What's that off to the left, a 66 Country Squire? Cool.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,431

And a jeepster behind it!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,162

My 1989 Cadillac Brougham has the fuel filler behind the license plate.

• boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750
    edited July 9

@slorenzen said:

A yard of 3/4 weighs About 3000 pounds. It takes a F-250 or better.

@boaz47 said: A yard of 3/4 weighs About 3000 pounds. It takes a F-250 or better.

Back in 2006, I bought some topsoil from the place up the street. They told me that a cubic yard would weigh about 2800 lb. Well, I'll confess that I had grossly overloaded my '85 Silverado before, so I figured I'd chance it, as it was just a half-mile drive.

Well, I got the load home, and unloaded it, and saw just how far a cubic yard of topsoil DOESN'T go, so I went back for another. And then a third. By the time I got the third home, I was tired as heck, so I let the truck sit, and had a beer. And that's when I heard two cracks, in rapid succession.

I didn't know what it was, until I got the truck unloaded, and noticed the tailpipes were hanging kind of low. The Silverado had a single exhaust, but with two pipes coming out of the muffler, both exiting on the driver's side. I think I had weighted it down so much that the pipes got pinched by the rear axle as it settled, and the stress caused them to snap at the muffler, where it was already rusting, and weak.

I remember going into DC on one hot summer Saturday, and suddenly heard a dragging sound. Those tailpipes had finally worked their way loose enough that they were dragging the pavement, on Route 50 coming into DC. Luckily I was able to pull off onto a service road and then a parking lot, got them completely off the truck, and threw them in a dumpster.

Well, then about a month later, I was in Baltimore, and heard more dragging. This time it was the muffler itself, which after being unsupported on one end for too long, I guess, finally stressed out the pipe leading into it, and it broke loose. I pulled off by the Ravens' stadium, kicked it loose with my boot, and, forgetting that it was still hot, grabbed it with my bare hands to throw it in the back of the truck, and got a nice burn...

After that, I had learned my lesson, and stopped overloading the truck! And the next time I needed dirt, I just ordered a dumptruck load...14 cubic yards. It was worth the $80 to deliver it!

I still see people leaving that material place though, in their compact/midsized pickups, and half-ton full-sizers. Most of them look like they're loaded down at an even worse stance than my Silverado was! Even worse, some of them go out on the main road with those loads, a divided road with cross traffic and a 45 mph speed limit. In my case, I just stayed on my own street and kept it easy. I wonder how much more effort it takes to panic-stop a half-ton pickup from, say, 45-50 mph with an extra 2800 lb in the bed? I imagine that has to be hell on not only the brakes, but the whole structure of the truck!

• boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,750

Now and then I have done it with a beefed up 3/4 ton with heavy duty rear suspension and one of the older 7.2 diesels. Last time was with a 1 ton dodge dully diesel. I can't imagine trying to move a yard of gravel or even dirt with a 1/2 ton. You could pull it with a trailer but that is a lot of weight for a 1/2 ton.

edited July 13

boaz, I remember you from the old Frontlines site. The name also rings a bell (one of the pillars?). Maybe you could add what you drive and what state you hail from in your settings. Thanks, Dave

• morgusxmorgusx MichiganPosts: 2

1999 Chrysler Concorde,

Chy-V6.jpg 833.2K
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,432

Let's see if we can get a bigger picture:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,407
    edited July 28

Here we go again - part of this load is headed to my sister in VA (she gets the electric mower on the left). Most of the rest will go into storage in TN at my brother's pending our move to NM in a month. I do have a view out the back - this pic was taken at the shop getting a flat fixed and I had moved stuff around to get to my jack and tools. Picked up a nail doing a pit stop at McDonalds. :'(

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,663
    edited July 28

My daughter is getting ready to move to Madison WI, over a thousand miles from CT. One of the tires on her Escape was mounted backwards when the tire was plugged over the winter. I had it mounted the right way, but it started losing air. Brought it to another (closer) place to have it fixed. They said they removed a nail and plugged it, no charge. Of course it still lost air. Took it to another place and they replaced the valve stem ($4.05). It seems to be holding air now.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,148

@stever said:

I hope that Lenova box does NOT have a Lenova inside.... it's crushed.

@stever said: Picked up a nail doing a pit stop at McDonalds. :'(

Yeah, well, somehow I don't think that is the only think you picked up there, Steve! :p

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,407

@imidazol97, just a little corner smoosh. ;) Forgot to label that box - there's some metal stuff rattling around in there but I think it's just some tools that didn't sell at the garage sale last month that I had room to toss in..

@explorerx4, we lived in Mad Town for ~6 months back in the 80s and have revisited several times since we moved to the UP. Nice place, good schools (and UW), lots of good neighborhoods. So far the tire is holding its own.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• My pride and joy. :)

fiat.jpg 152K

@chipwhitley34 said: My pride and joy. :)

Ack! Somebody stole your springs! :p

Looks like a fun car!

Ack! Somebody stole your springs! :p That comment cracked me up. I like the low look, but at 64 wouldn't even try to get in one.

123457»