Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I have a 2001 town car signature series with wet passenger floor after rain?

carolp1970carolp1970 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Lincoln
I've seen many people with the same problem..my car only has 55thousand miles and runs like a charm...This problem is annoying already. .I bought car from a friend who's dad passed away and it was always garage kept....yes i checked the moon roof already it seems to drain fine...i am a girl so do u think i should just do the cowl and see if that will do the fix?

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

how did you test the sunroof drain? Best way is to actually pour a little water in the drain hole and see if it shows itself soon after draining at the back of the front wheel, down below.

The cowl is certainly suspect--little bits of leaf and pine needles or whatever lodge in there, and bio-degrade over time, causing it to form a gooey kind of "plug" for the drain. Once this little fish tank fills up, water seeps through any grommets holding wiring or cables going through the firewall--these are not meant to be waterproof.

If you pull the cowl (or if you're lucky, you can shine a light in there) and you see standing water, then you've found your problem.

@carolp1970 said:
    I've seen many people with the same problem..my car only has 55thousand miles and runs like a charm...This problem is annoying already. .I bought car from a friend who's dad passed away and it was always garage kept....yes i checked the moon roof already it seems to drain fine...i am a girl so do u think i should just do the cowl and see if that will do the fix?

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

I had a 2000 Taurus years back. It developed this problem. I don't remember the details, but it had something to do with the cabin air filter. Apparently it was removed through the outside vent intake area and the seal had developed a leak. Once they replaced the filter and made sure the outside vent intake area was put back on properly it was fine . Good Luck!

• carolp1970carolp1970 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks....I actually opened the sunroof and poured water where the drains where and watched it drain by the tires. ..

Okay so you can probably eliminate the sunroof drains. You can also poke a soda straw in the drain and blow out any debris---never insert anything metal down into the drain and never use excessive air pressure.

• carolp1970carolp1970 Member Posts: 3
    Hmmm..thanks never thought of that one..I will have to give it a try...next weekend I'm going to try and take the cowl apart and reseal...hopefully that will fix my problem but please let me know of anything else i can do being I'm doing this myself to save from having a big car bill any where else.... going to try and dry up the carpet the best i can because I don't know anyone who can pull it up for me...:-(

The cowl doesn't need re-sealing most likely but only an unclogging of the drain at the bottom of the cowl. The cowl supplies fresh air to the car so water is allowed in there---but hopefully not debris.

• @berri said:
    I had a 2000 Taurus years back. It developed this problem. I don't remember the details, but it had something to do with the cabin air filter. Apparently it was removed through the outside vent intake area and the seal had developed a leak. Once they replaced the filter and made sure the outside vent intake area was put back on properly it was fine . Good Luck!

Those cabin air filters get very dirty very quickly. I have a 2012 Optima EX with 27k. Right after last summer when I got back from vacation I wnet in to the dealer for my free oil change, and the tech brought the cabin filter out to me and it was full of pollen and leaves, etc etc. They tried to get me to pay them $59 to put in a new one. Lol. Bought one for $8 at Advance. Took less than 5 mins to install behind the glove box.

The point is they get very clogged very quickly.