Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2015 Mazda CX-5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    edited August 25

@kaveh2k , if there's another dealer around that you liked, you could ask them if they can beat the quote. Seems like VA is a pretty competitive market (maybe just around the District though?), so you may be good to go.

The dealer may be looking for bonus money as the month wraps up (and maybe their quarter) so you could alway ask for a few bucks more off, or some free mats or something. Never hurts to ask.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• sarav2sarav2 Posts: 2

Bought my 2015 CX5 Touring with Bose audio and Moon roof for 26280 OTD in CA yesterday. Before tax and fees it was $23,780.

Sounds like a good deal?

• neweggnewegg Posts: 1

@sarav2 said: Bought my 2015 CX5 Touring with Bose audio and Moon roof for 26280 OTD in CA yesterday. Before tax and fees it was $23,780.

Sounds like a good deal?

Great deal for a AWD!!!! Is it a AWD or FWD?? Thanks.

• Hey all,

I helped a friend negotiate for a CX-5 Touring in Las Vegas last week and wanted to run it by you all. The process was far less objective and calculating than I normally would design and the package included some slightly unusual features that I had a hard time pricing. I arrived with zero price knowledge about the car and researched with a tablet on the fly...4 hours later this is the deal we made...

2015 Touring CX-5, FWD with

1) Moon Roof/Bose package
    2) Navigation Chip/System
    3) 10 yr/100k mile powertrain warranty
    4) 2 years of oil changes and maintenance free

We paid $26,448 (all fees included) + tax

I had a difficult time pricing the extra warranty and the maintenance and they whacked me a bit last minute with fees after I thought the deal price was final but overall I was happy with price/options. I felt I could have saved as much as $500 given more time but I'm not sure about that and the convenience and other random personal factors outweighed the potential savings. I'm curious if I'm wrong about the price though - thoughts?

Thanks.
    edited September 18
    Looks like you did well to me. I ran the numbers for my zip code and came up with TMV of $27,730 with the moon roof/Bose and Tech package/nav. That's before fees and taxes and doesn't include the warranty and maintenance.

I wouldn't pay much for the extended warranty or oil change package and don't think they are worth a lot of money. It may have been possible to have weeded those out for a bit more savings but your friend may get some value out of them. Just be careful of upsells at the oil changes and note the fine print for the extended warranty exclusions. I suppose this is one of those dealers that includes the warranty with every sale?

• Yes. They said they're a "test" dealership and everyone gets the 10 yr powertrain - they presented the 2 years of service as automatic too. The place is super close to our house so the service is convenient and I figured the oil changes were worth $200ish ($30 x 7) and the free 15,000 mile service is a + as well. No idea how to value the 10 yr powertrain warranty to be honest. We didn't get the whole tech package - just had the nav chip installed individually - they said it has a $750 list value for whatever that's worth. Thanks for the feedback.
    edited September 19
    I guess I don't know what the "nav chip" fee is for - I was pricing out the car with the tech package because it included the nav system. I see some stuff online about SD cards for the Mazda - is this something you have to add to get the navigation system to work because you didn't get the tech package? Learn something new everyday around here.

Okay, deleting the tech package gets me down to $26,280 plus $700 for the chip and your "average" price would be $26,980.

So you beat the average and got a couple hundred bucks in oil changes tossed in, and maybe some more benefits when the factory warranty expires. That's kind of a bad lottery to win - do you really want the AC to go out so you can use the extended warranty? B)

Misunderstood that your friend was helping you - it's always nice to have another person there with a bit of detachment and just having another set of ears is always good too. Congrats on the new ride!

• The chip is what makes the nav system go yes, so we had to get it installed for the nav to operate - no prefabbed trims offering nav without the rest of the tech package. I truly hope we do not win the "bad" warranty usage lottery! It does seem likely that based on your TMV calculation I probably could have hit some different dealerships and run an email bidding war to grind out some extra savings but ultimately the convenience and reduced time involved are worth something as well. The car handles really well - hard to believe we'd have found a better ride in the class (the handling on the highest trim CRV was quite rough compared to the CX-5). Thanks again for your feedback.
    Exactly right - you might have ground out a few more bucks, but it's a lot of time and hassle. And over the life of the car, the money saved isn't really worth it, imo, unless you really enjoy that sort of thing.
    Enjoy the ride, I really enjoyed the test drive of a 2014 CX-5 a while back.

• gocard1gocard1 Posts: 18
    I live in the LA area of CA. I have this offer on the table. Should I keep pushing or are we in the ballpark? Thanks all.

Year:2015
    Make: Mazda
    Model: CX-5 Touring AWD
    Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg, Tech Package, Crystal White Pearl
    MSRP: $29,860
    Offer: $27,808
    edited October 28
    Different zip code but I get invoice of $28,798 and True Market Value of $29,204. Same MSRP.

So yeah, your offer looks good from here. You can play with an LA zip but I doubt that TMV is much different. Love that color....

• ninastlninastl Posts: 1
    2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, no add ons, $27,150 plus $199 dealer fee, our own financing at 0.9%, taxes paid separately in MO. (out the door for $27,349). Could have saved $150 if I bought it in blue, the the black was on order rather than in stock.
    Congrats!

• calbears1calbears1 Posts: 42
    Hello, I was quoted, via email, an OTD purchase price on a CX-5 and when i arrived at the dealer to do the paperwork they told me that the lease incentive was already included in the OTD price. I never told them i was going to lease the CX-5 through Mazda. I believe the cash rebate incentive can be applied if you are using Mazda financing? Is that correct? thanks!
    I'm not sure which incentive you are looking at. The fine print at MazdaUSA.com indicates that the Trade-In cash offer and the Loyalty cash offers can be combined with other Mazda incentives. at least in my region.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,124
    calbears1 said:

Hello, I was quoted, via email, an OTD purchase price on a CX-5 and when i arrived at the dealer to do the paperwork they told me that the lease incentive was already included in the OTD price. I never told them i was going to lease the CX-5 through Mazda. I believe the cash rebate incentive can be applied if you are using Mazda financing? Is that correct? thanks!

Are you leasing or buying?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I was planning on leasing but i was negotiating the purchase price without disclosing whether i was going to pay cash, use my own financing or lease using Mazda. thanks,
    edited November 2
    Dealers make money packaging car loans so some, ahem, grinders will go in and make the dealer think they are a payment buyer. Then the buyer pulls the switch in the F&I room.

Thus the old saw - dealers are stealers, but buyers are liars. :-)

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    stever said:

Dealers make money packaging car loans so some, ahem, grinders will go in and make the dealer think they are a payment buyer. Then the buyer pulls the switch in the F&I room.

I don't see why the sale price should be different between a lease and a sale. The dealer gets his money either way (from the lease company or the finance company). They should provide the same price, unless there is manufacturer cash / rebates that vary based on lease vs. buy.

I don't consider it "grinding" to ask for the lowest price possible as the base for either a lease or a sale.
    edited November 7
    Dealers get a "finders fee" from lenders when they bring them a loan. Don't know where the proceeds of those "lease acquisition fees" go. But if a dealer gets a referral fee for financing, they may give you another $100 off vs. selling the same car for cash.

Nothing wrong with getting the lowest price. People just have different tolerances for how much "grinding" they are willing to do. I tend to make a couple of rounds and if the price still isn't right, I just walk and wait. Some people negotiate for weeks and others much prefer a one-price shop.

Playing a lot of games with the dealer about your intentions, whether you have a trade, etc. falls under the grinding definition to me. YMMV.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,124
    Also... to echo the previous comment. Incentives can definitely vary between purchase and lease and finance.. Sometimes lease incentives are less, because the lease program gives further incentives via below-market financing and unrealistically high residuals.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

-________________________________________________________________________
    I agree with you, however, in my case I was not trying to mislead the dealer. I actually wasn't sure if i would lease or use approved private financing. So when i went to the dealer and decided i wanted to move forward, the salesmen asked how i was going to pay for the car, and given the low MF, i decided to lease. That is when the salesmen brought up the acquisition fee of $595.00 for leasing. I responded with yes i am aware of that, but there is also a cash rebate for leasing of xxx amount (i believe at the time it was $395.00) and then he responded with no that cash rebate was already calcuated in the purchase price we agreed to. I responded with, how could it be, if i used private financing or cash to purchase, the lease cash rebate wouldn't apply. The salesmen then said we can use the cash rebate on any deal at our discretion it doesn't have to be for a lease. Then i pulled up the lease cash rebate language and read it with him. My interpretation of the cash rebate is that it only applies as an incentive when you use in house leasing or financing. Is that correct? I felt like it was a bait and switch saying they arlready included it toward the OTD purchase price. I ended up walking out without signing.

What is your understanding of the cash rebate? Can it be used by the dealer on any type of deal (cash purchase , private financing)?

Thanks!
    edited November 8
    Hey @calbears1, hope I didn't imply that you were trying to mislead the dealer. Lots of people don't understand that cash deals (or outside financing) may yield less profit for dealers so some dealers may quote a better price to a payment buyer. Ergo the grinder's "system" that some people may try to use.

The fine print on the 2014 CX-9 (the only current cash incentive I see off-hand) says "Customer Cash is available towards retail purchases. May not be combined with Special APR available through Mazda Capital Services."

Looking at the military cash, it says "Military Bonus Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchases". That implies that the other cash offer you were relying on was only available for a purchase, not a lease.

So yeah, it gets confusing. The other fine print gives the dealer an out so they can simply decide not to participate on a particular incentive.

In your case, about the only thing I think you could have done would have been to ask another dealer how they would treat the cash incentive on a purchase vs a lease..

• brewha021470brewha021470 Posts: 1
    edited November 14
    Just bought 2015 cx5 AWD GT msrp 32105, out the door $28605 which included $500 loyalty cash back (I own a cx9). Pearl white in color. ice and snow here today(Portland, Or.,) with a high of 32 degrees made for a great way to steal a CX 5, and 3.2% for 84 months to boot
    edited November 14
    Sounds miserable.

The weather, not your CX-5. :smile: Congrats, love the pearl white!

• perigperig Posts: 1
    Hey, first time poster here. I debated if I wanted to know or not if I got a good deal. But I figured if I can help a couple other people get the best deal they can, it would be worth it.

So I just bought a new 2105 CX-5 yesterday (no trade-in, financing).

Here is the deal I got in Mazda Fremont, CA:

Year: 2015
    Make: Mazda
    Model: CX-5 Touring 2WD
    Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg
    Color: Blue Mica / Black
    MSRP: $26,925
    Invoice: $26,406
    Deal: $25,500 (including $250 cash back put towards down payment)

Adding tax (8.75%), licensing and misc CA fees with $2,000 down and 0.9% for 63 months.

Out the door $28,392.

The way I got there was by telling the guy the TrueCar price quoted of $24,800 with the Bose/Moonroof package and that I wanted the 0.9% financing for 60 months. He did not want to do both so he told me he could do either do the TrueCar price with a higher rate or the low rate I wanted but for $25,500. I figured I'd rather have a lower rate. Down the road it would end up being pretty comparable anyway.

I am not a big fan of debating for hours for a few hundred bucks and my wife and I needed a new car so I agreed without too much resistance. I am sure someone with more time and/or patience could squeeze a few hundred bucks.

Did I get a good deal?
    A thousand bucks under invoice? Yeah, you did just fine. And I like the way you negotiate; lots of us don't have the energy or patience to grind every last dime from a deal. Congrats!

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,812
    I think it takes setting a target price and not budging. Just bought the wife a Audi A3 Saturday and she left the final negotiations with me. We found a similar unit at another nearby store who said they would match our numbers. Called the nearer store with the color she really wanted and after telling them we'd buy farther away with a less desireable color if they didn't drop their price to match what she wanted to pay. After a minute talking with the general manager, they agreed to our price so we went over and bought it. I am a man of my word and we did buy from the closer store...and she's thrilled! Sometimes one needs to stick to their guns and not cross that line in the sand to get the price you want to get!
    I almost got the Cx-5, it's a great vehicle but ended up with the Tucson!!!

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

A reporter is looking to interview a recent car buyer who bought a crossover SUV. To share your story, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, December 16, 2014.