Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bump in drivetrain, Toyota 4Runner

roddenrodden Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Toyota

I continually feel like someone has bumped into the back of my car when no one is behind me at stop signs and signals.
My four runner is a 2003 limited V8 automatics Has anyone discovered the fix for this problem In reading the post on the forums I am not sure if there is a fix.

Comments

• rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184

What you describe is a well-known and well-documented problem with Gen 4 V8 4Runners and Lexus GX470 SUVs. Luckily, there is also a well-known fix too, but you may not like the cost. The problem is excessive play in the driveshaft splines--which means a totally new driveshaft for about $800. Lexus replaced the clunking GX driveshafts for free under warranty, but not Toyota. This isn't a safety issue, but a HUGE annoyance. There is a very temporary fix too. Just crawl underneath and liberally lube the splines with grease (using a grease gun--there is a zert on the splines) and the clunk will lessen for awhile--maybe as long as several weeks.