Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Meet the Owners

slickrockslickrock Posts: 60
edited March 11 in Toyota

Comments

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Sequoia!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
    4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET
    -or-

Thursdays:
    5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
    6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
    7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
    (The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Ya beat me to the punch. ;-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• slickrockslickrock Posts: 60
    Hey, ya gotta be quick in this business... ;-)
  • Thanks KarenS for the new Sequoia spot.

To quote "buyit22" from the other board: "I have a 4wd limited. ... When I put it in drive then touch the accelerator, there is a distinct click, click coming from the console area toward the front of the vehicle. It only clicks twice then goes away until the next startup. This is in 2wd mode. Any similar experiences?"

I have a 4wd SR5 that I use exclusively in high 4wd mode and it always makes exactly the clicking sound you describe. I assume it's some sort of drive-train subsystem checking on itself, but I have no idea. Anyone know??
  • Picked up my wife's new (eleven miles) white Limited last Thursday. It's the first vehicle that she's ever had that had a sticker...although they didn't even put our sticker on the car.
  • mcmattmcmatt Posts: 80
    I have had my Sequoia for about a month now.

Silver LTD 2WD with all options except bug shield, I think.

So far, the only things that I haven't absolutely loved are the (1)GBS on alarm not working right and the dealer not knowing anything about it, (2) the booming bass stereo, and (3) the gas mileage so far is not quite 15mpg even though we have been on the road a few times. But overall, it is an excellent vehicle. I have been sold on Toyotas for a while.

I am new to Town Hall, but I have read many posts and posted a couple. My interests will lie in the technical areas. I do a lot of work on my cars myself. I don't like hassling with service departments and then having to pay out the wazoo for it.

I look forward to sharing stories with everyone. I am glad this forum is available.
  • slickrockslickrock Posts: 60
    Mine also does it, and from what I have read, I believe that it is part of the ECU (computer) self-checking process.

I think it is normal, and given all the ECU's and relays in the vehicle, it's a wonder there aren't more than two clicks.
  • mcmattmcmatt Posts: 80
    Another confirmation on the two clicks. I think it is normal. It seems to occur when I reach a certain speed/rpm.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    all:

the two clicks you hear when you put the car in drive mode are the self-checks of the VSC and TRACS... These are described/explained in the manual

Hope this helps
  • oac3, thanks for the info that it's in the manual. This is embarrassing, but I've had my Sequoia for over a month and I haven't read the full manual, only the summary manual. Gotta crack the book!
  • fishcarfishcar Posts: 18
    Finally decided that I would jump in to the discussions. I have 1600 mi on my Silver SR5 (with DR,GY,RL,CC,AH,CQ,AC, and CF), and am loving it (it doesn't tick, and the audio is better than any other car I've had, so no complaints).

Traded in my 88 4rnnr for the SQ... the 4rnnr was my baby... had a close encounter with an elk after 65,000 miles, and wasn't even out of alignment. Cost me (well, allstate) $4,500 for cosmetic repairs. Anyway, drove it another 70,000 before family expansion required moving up to 4 doors and more space (didn't want to leave one of my daughters home when I went camping/fishing). My experiences with the 4rnnr sold me on Toyotas.

Has anyone heard instructions on how to program/train the Homelink for a home security system? I haven't tried calling the dealer yet, but am curious...

Also, there has been a long thread on sequoia solutions regarding using synthetic oils. Will a dealer service dept listen to me when I ask them to use synthetics?

Looking forward to some interesting discussions.
    D
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• pavebillpavebill Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! Been driving our 2001 4X4 Limited, Thunder Gray, since November. Now just coming up on 4700 Miles and it's really been running great. Been able to use the 4 wheel drive on several occasions because of snow and a couple of times 4 wheeling in muddy conditions...systems works great, lasts long time! (I hope) We're avid campers and took our first trip out since buying the Sequoia, last week. We have a pop-up camper we tow, which weighs in at about 2500 lbs. with water on board. The Sequoia towed it like it wasn't there, no problemo. Mileage, on the computer, came in a 17.7 for the 450 mi. round trip which included Freeway, City and mountain driving conditions.

The only complaint so far is with the air conditioning system. About a week ago, the A/C light would begin blinking after about 5 minutes of operation regardless of mode of operation selected. As per the manual, took it in for service. Service center initially suspected tensioner problem.. took it back several days later for the fix, and they said it was now looking more like a compressor problem. They did a temp fix which they thought would get us through our trip, it did not! Fairly sweltering in 90-95 degree temps on the desert...the sunroof came in handy. Will have it back in the shop Tuesday, will keep you all posted. See ya around the club!
  • debbiev1debbiev1 Posts: 10
    Hi, my husband & I purchased an LTD 4x4 a week ago Saturday(April 7th). I have not seen it since about 4pm on Mon the 9th. We purchased it out of state & drove home the next day. When we arrived home it was smoking and leaking oil something fierce!! Monday, after work I drove it to a large dealer dealer. Since then, the only answers I have gotten are "the factory is involved, they ordered the part.... the part still isn't here..... don't know what else to tell you ma'am... we'll let you know when we know something"
    By the way this is after they told me it was the cam shaft.'
    Being a female nurse who takes care of newborns, I don't know much about cars. We had 2 bad experiences, 2 different trips up to get it. my husband said then it was an omen NOT to get this SUV.Now this. I am a VERY patient person, but am EXTREMELY irritated now. My very 1st vehicle was a Toyota truck... no problems.
    How serious is a cam shaft problem, & does this mean I can expect to see more problems with my SEA, despite Toyotas "reliable" reputation? My SEQ only had 325 miles on it when I dropped it off at the service department....I only had it 48 hours, and we use it for our business...of course they gave me something comparable to drive......a Camry! 40K+ SUV vs. 20K car. You tell me?!?

I do have to say, the 295 mile ride home was AWESOME!!! Amazingly smooth compared to the Chevy SUV I traded in.
    Any input from mcmatt who seems to be technically inclined??? Or ANYONE????
  • jiml3mjiml3m Posts: 2
    Greetings, Picked up my Marlin Blue SR5 2 weeks ago. Just passed the 500 mile mark with no problems. I have noticed the booming base syndrom and my kids complain they can't hear the stereo very well from the 3rd seat. When they put the extra 4 speakers in for the upgraded stereo do any of them get put in the rear?
  • damuhodamuho Posts: 1
    Picked up our White SR5 4x4 last Friday. Drove it out of the lot with only 5 mi. No complaints here. Quiet yet powerful. We love it!

The stereo sounds great with bass at +2 for CDs and -4 for AM/FM. Have not used the cassette player, yet.

Only heard of the clicking noises in this forum.
  • 774774 Posts: 101
    I am glad to say I am the proud owner of a new Sequoia.The vehicle does not tick no piston slap noted.The vehicle puts the Tahoe and Ford extinction to shame.The quality of the interior, ride, and comfort exceeds the competition.I am talking from experience having owned a Ford E150 conversion van.The people I know who have 2000 Tahoes are experiencing brake problems, the vehicles at times will not stop.The Sequoia is more than I expected.This is my first Toyota and if it lives up to the Toyota reputation it will not be my last Toyota.
  • has just put over 1000 miles on the odo...she loves it. Only one complaint:

it was really windy today, and at Interstate speed, the SEQ needed more steering adjustment than the Volvo 850 Turbo that she drove before.
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• geepergeeper Posts: 18
    Thunder Gray Limited 2WD is Momma's first new car ever. Hope she enjoys it as much in 15 years as she does now (ha ha). Whew! $42K drive out! ;) So far so good!! Will be taking a family car trip in about 6 weeks, which is why we purchased.
This discussion has been closed.