Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Getting new tires...have a dumb question....

sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
edited May 2014 in Hyundai

Hi! I have a 2011 Elantra which I love, and I'm getting new tires for the first time. I've been going to the same place for car maintenance for years, and when they gave me the estimate today, they said they would give me a new TPMS Sensor Kit. I know what this is, but is this something I need to replace now? And if I DID need to replace it, would this be covered under my warranty? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sarah

Comments

• oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58

I'm interested in buying a set of four snow tires for my 13' Elantra GT. I've read where the Hankooks that are standard are terrible in rain and worse in snow. All I can find in the right size are in the expensive range of $150-170 per tire. Anyone have any experience purchasing snow tires for this model? Where and what price?

• bettydcbettydc Member Posts: 3

@sarah2175 said:
    Hi! I have a 2011 Elantra which I love, and I'm getting new tires for the first time. I've been going to the same place for car maintenance for years, and when they gave me the estimate today, they said they would give me a new TPMS Sensor Kit. I know what this is, but is this something I need to replace now? And if I DID need to replace it, would this be covered under my warranty? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sarah

You can do a Google search on this and find a lot of conflicting theories out there. Most tire shops already charge extra for tire changes if you have a TPMS. What they are supposed to do is replace the grommet, valve core, retaining nuts, etc not the sensor itself. If you have a "Mr Tire" store there, they usually quote you the price including everything. You can go to tirerack.com first and check the prices to verify you are not paying too much for your tires.