Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Diesels, who is king, Cummins, Dmax, PSD

2»

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    6sp is fun. But the reason they are rare, is that not many buyers want them. Anyway, I bought it 2drive, not sell.
  • ad2avitad2avit Posts: 12
    Rite on - the only reason I didn't order the 6-sp is because delivery would be delayed, I believe the jargon is restraints. But good luck to you and keep on trucking. However I would hope that you would post your MPG from time to time. I mean approximate/monthly. No one expects you to keep a detailed account of your city/hwy driving, but I lot of posters would sure appreciate your monthly average MPG.

Hunter98- Change your field of expertise - design a duramax with 3:10 ratio which would get 29 MPH. But you have to understand the engineers/marketing point of view. I guess that if all you guys keep plugging , it will happen. I can just imagine a Duramax in a 1500 with a 3:42 getting 29 MPG
    ....if you put a 3.42 instead of the 3.73, coupled to the 6 speed manual, starting out in 2nd gear would require more clutch slippage. If it was enough you had to start out in 1st gear, that would be a pain, since it's a granny gear.

Ad2,

My first tank is in. Seems a little too good to be true at 22.2 mpg, 60/40 highway mountain/city.

I put on 410 miles. With gauge reading 1/2 full, I decided to top it up. I let the automatic shutoff stop it, then started it again after a few moments. Dealer may have overfilled it, since spilled some on paint. If I could have stuffed another gallon and a half in there, still would net 20 mpg.

It's regular cab model, so anyway you slice it, it's a smaller truck and should do better than a crew cab or dually. http://www.picturetrail.com/quadrunner500

• ad2avitad2avit Posts: 12
    Forgive me for changing the subject - but regarding the quality of Dodge trucks. I've been a subscriber to Trailer Boats Magazine for 21 years and every year they award the TB tow vehicle of the year. Vehicles vary, some years it's a SUV, 1/2, 3/4 or 1-ton trucks/diesel or Gas. These trucks are put through rigorous tow/performance tests and also denoting best MPG ie: best performance through a varity of tests. Their 2000 Year Tow vehicle of the year in the 3/4 ton Gas category was the Dodge V-10. This was against the Ford V-10 and the Chevy 6.0 V-8. This was before Chevy introduced it's new HD lineup The results of the Test are:
    Towing : Dodge 422 Chevy: 365 Ford: 413

Nontowing: Includes Significance, price, performance/handling, fuel economy, comfort/layout

TOTALS: Dodge: 94 Chevy: 109 FORD: 97

TOTALS: 516 474 510

Nuff said about Dodge quality/performance in the Gas category and we all know how the the Diesel is.
  • I dont understand, what sizes were the truck, cause it seems to me like a pretty unfair comparo with the biggest dodge and ford motor, and the smaller 3/4 ton 1 ton motor.
  • roger350roger350 Posts: 157
    So what did that test prove about quality? I see nothing in the listed categories about build quality? So the Dodge V-10 beats the Ford V-10, and the small Chevy V-8, wow. Try that test again with the new 8.1L, and I think Chevy would sweep it in all categories. It already beat them both in the non-performance categories.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest, because you aren't going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change yours. I hope your Dodges are all great trucks. Have a good one.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    They just had the new 8.1 and duramax on there.

They loved the new engines. Basically said they are ahead of everyone now in the HD class. Even showed then towing a ford SD on a trailer.

Ryan
    Chevy Duramax and 8.1L put Ford and Dodge out to pasture! (kidding)

Being best in class, (or whatever) is always a moving target. The reign at the top is never long. Best to just buy what you like, and enjoy it for what it is. Six months later, something else will come along to knock it down. It's what keeps us coming back!
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    The Dodge/Allison rumor was more wishful thinking than anything else. Dodge and/or Cummins are working on a new transmission for the diesel. There are a number of write-ups on this on car-truck.com
  • warfishwarfish Posts: 117
    I tow a 12000 lb fifth wheel with my 2001 Dodge Cummins 2500 Quad Auto, All through the mountains of PA, WV, VA, NC & SC with no problems with any of the hills. My gearing is 3.51 and mileage averages about 12 - 13. In talking to other campers, with Cummins and Power Strokes, it seems that all the Cummins run 3.51 gears, and the Power Strokes with 4.11. If the PSD is such a strong engine, why does it need such a high rear end ratio to do the job?
    While on the subject of the PSD, how come no builder of Motor home chassis puts that engine in their diesel pushers? Cummins and Cat own that market.
    As far a the Duramax is concerned, I suspect it will blow everything else away until the competition comes up with something better.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Just curious (not to start a war) but has anyone had a duramax next to a cummins?

few weekends back at work we had a 3500 cummins and a 2500 duramax in the same aisle (lumber yard). Another employee walked down and told the guy (dodge) he needs to get one of those diesel engines. He said thats no diesel the employee said go take a look. Guys jaw dropped when he heard and sen the duramax. He seriously didnt believe it till he seen it.

I couldnt believe it till i heard it also. very quiet

Ryan
  • another reason I will buy a 6.5 instead of the duramax if I buy a diesel down the road.

It doens't sound like a diesel, that 30% of the reason to buy a diesel.
    ...still noisy. I think the biggest advantage the Power Stroke has over Cummins, (if it has one) is displacement, 5.9 for Cummins versus something over 7 liter (don't remember exactly) for the PSD.

But I think the biggest advantage the Duramax has over either, is the transmission choices.

There may be some other smaller advantages, maybe some disadvantages. I don't know. DM is my first diesel, I'm naturally a bit biased. But those other two are still among the best and most popular of all truck engines.

I think the reason Power Stroke Diesel is not in motorhome chassis is simply all the production is spoken for in pickup trucks, all they can make.

Rumor I heard some time ago is that DamnearChrysler was going to drop the Cummins for a Mercedes Benz diesel anyway.
  • bwhbwh Posts: 76
    Instead of using them iun MH applications they find their way into Scoolbuses and many other medium duty international applications. Anybody who bought the PSD with the 4.10 ratio was crazy. Mine pulls max gvw with 3.73s every day no problem.
    Check out post #4 in this topic for my side-by-side comparison of the three diesels. The D-Max is awesome!
  • bp53bp53 Posts: 23
    I recently read where the top speed you can obtain with a cummins, duramax, or power stroke is around 90 mph. Since I don't know much about diesel engines, can someone tell me if this is true. This sounds unbelievable. I had thought about getting a diesel engine in my next truck, but if the top speed is only 90, I think I will stick to gas. Also, if true, why is this so?
    I don't know where you read that, but I don't think the engines are what limit the trucks. Silverados are all electronically limited to like 98 MPH. The limiter can be defeated with the purchase of an HPIII programer for about $300. The limiter is there because of the speed rating on the tires.
  • bwhbwh Posts: 76
    Let me kno which roads you regularly drive. If you intend to run one of these beasts faster than 90 you may be certifiable. These things lack the brakes,suspension and as mentioned, tires to run safely at those speeds. I think a good solid 80mph is about all I feel comfortable with, in a big truck like these. Don't pass me off as some pokey driver either, this past weekend I ran my Porsche on the track at over 150mph. I have a '99 F350 and a '01 Silverado HD, both drive really well for what they are. Please don't try to drive them like cars, they were never designed to do so.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    Dodge just announced in a press confrence that there keeping cummins on board for the next generation hd truck arriving in fall 2002. They say the new diesel (6 cylinder inline) I think 6.1liter, is so quiet that even inside a closed garage the engine is barely audible. It's got something to do with the new block and head design, which they have already patented. It's for sure going to have more power then the current diesel, and overall vs the duramax.
    Go to car-truck.com for all the info.
    The new 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge will not be out until the 2003 model yera. Only the 1/2 is being redone for 2002 and that will not offer a diesel.
  • bmaigebmaige Posts: 140
    Anyone other than me irked that no independent lab tests and reports fuel mileage on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks? The rationale years ago was that they were work trucks, I suppose, but now since many 1/2 ton pickups are little more than cars with beds more serious casual haulers (those pulling campers, cow trailers, horse trailers, etc.)are using them. That number includes me and I'd like to be able to compare mileage figures like I can for automobiles on sites like Edmunds.
  • jwhaelen1jwhaelen1 Posts: 27
    The New Cummins ISB will have 350 HP and approx. 650 LB FT of torque!It's a totally new block design. Check it out at this site: www.car-truck.com, and type in "Cummins diesel" in the search block if you don't believe it. They're already out there in some of the Dodge fleet vehicles. YEE-HAA!! Look out Chevy & Ford fans!!!On a more somber note: There is also a (bad) rumor (I hope it's only a rumor) that Chrysler will be phasing out the Cummins by the end of the year 2004 in favor of a Mercedes Benz V-8 diesel(Yuk!)or a Detroit diesel(preffered if they do change it).Let's hope they DON'T!!!!Let's keep an American Diesel engine in an American Truck where it belongs!! $#@!!%^%$ Germans(Daimler) are trying to take advantage of the situation!!! If I wanted a German diesel powered truck,then I would buy a German truck!!!! That would never happen anyway. 'Nuff said. (I know,Dodge is part German now,UNFORTUNATELY!!) "Cummins Power Forever"!!!
  • bdpotterbdpotter Posts: 2
    Anyone have the fuel mileage on the Chevy 2500HD Duramax?
  • jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    I have a Chevy 2500HD Ex Cab Long bed and have just computed the mileage of 17.9 in mixed driving. The truck has almost 4k miles on it.
    I believe that Cummins already has a cotract for the next generation Ram. I believe that it is more recent than the Mercedes or Detroit Diesel rumors.

Mercedes Benz now owns AND controls Chrysler. I hate to say it but Chrysler /Dodge/ used to be american but now its a german company.
  • badrammanbadramman Posts: 61
    I agree jcmdie,

I'll have to seriously consider if I want a Dodge truck again. I haven't had many probs. with mine, but I don't like what the F--KING NAZI's are doing to the Ram. They are changing a tried and true product and I don't think that's smart. I believe they are going to lose a large percentage of their followers.

On the note of the diesels, Around here( Hershey/Harrisburg PA) I have NEVER seen a Duramax. About 98% are Cummins and the other 2%...PowerStrokes. I believe the reason is that the Dodge/Cummins is about $8-10,000 CHEAPER than a PowerStroke with the same options, at least at the dealers around here.
    Since I do not have any experience with the Dmax, I will trust your opinions on it.
    Duramax's running all over the place here. (Denver) PSD's too. (And Cummins)
  • You guys know that the Duramax is made by Isuzu, right? I didn't read this whole thread--so someone may have already said so. However, this is not a bad thing-Isuzu has 40 some- years of diesel experience. And guys, I know some of you think German -made(putting a Benz diesel in a Dodge) is not for you , but think about it --they invented the diesel engine! (Engineer Rudolph Diesel)They have been building them for almost all of their 115 year-history! I think they've probably picked up a thing or two, know what I mean? The question is , if Cummins had been replaced by M-B. would we have paid more for the M-B name.Of course. A friend has a 84 Benz diesel(car of course) with 252,000 trouble free miles and 28 miles to the gallon all the way. I'm no expert, but I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a bad diesel truck engine(except maybe a French-built one) , but who needs anything from them, anyway.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    "dodgeram" said the new rams would be arriving in fall of 2002. If the heavy trucks are being redesigned for the 03 year, then they should be on the lots by fall of 02. There are 02's on the lots already (not rams, but other models).
  • jwhaelen1jwhaelen1 Posts: 27
    I'm now considering getting a 2003 Ram 25/3500 W/ the Cummins,of course.But,I'm still a little skeptical about the front bumper and the "crying" headlight design. Look real close at the bottoms of them,they look like they're forming tears. Hopefully they'll at least change the bumper slightly for the 25/3500's and fill in that big gap.However,I do like the fact that a totally new,quieter running(much quieter)) 6.1L Cummins is going into them,and not the MB. Appearently the MB is too big,heavy,& expensive to put into them,and won't sell fast due to the added cost,even more than the Cummins! From what I've read on the latest "Buzz" links so far.Looks like Cummins is here for awhile(unless Dodge breaches contract;That could get real ugly for DC).
2»
This discussion has been closed.