Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Anti lock brake system on 1992 Buick Park Avenue

vito2001vito2001 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Buick
Has anyone had an experience with anti lock brake system problems on a 1992 Buick Park Avenue? My warning light came on last week, the brake system did some "grabbing" & it has not come on since. But I have noticed a humming sound while I am driving the vehicle so I am sure I have a problem. The car has 109000 miles on it. How much do you think this will cost me to repair this old war horse?

Comments

• alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Start by having the stored ABS diagnostic trouble codes retrieved with a scan tool. Most shops have them. Then you'll know which part of the system has malfunctioned. Anything else is simply guessing.
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    If your car has the infamous PowerMaster brake system, the humming you hear could be the brake boost running continually because it cannot get enough pressure. It is supposed to run for no more than 15 secs to achieve proper pressure in the system. If it runs for an extended period of time, (like 3 mins I think) the ABS light flashes. Turn the key to the ON position but do not start the motor. See if you can hear the noise then.

I had one go bad on a 90 Cutlass Supreme with ABS. I don't know if your car has the same braking system.
This discussion has been closed.