Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    The V-6 used in the Freelander was introduced in that vehicle around the rest of the world in 2001, 2002 was it's second year of use in this application. Prior to this it was used for several years in the Rover 75 sedan. There have been hit and miss problems, like there are with any vehicle but nothing widespread.
  • Since LR redesigned their USA site, I have been unable to find how to email them. The contact link only shows a postal address. Does anyone know what happened to it? Thanks.
  • Hi all stateside, I read your messages with interest and as I live 3 miles from the Solihull fcatory thought I could enlighten you a little. I have also just handed back my Oct 2000 Freelander having done 40,000 trouble-free miles and am waiting for my next one to arrive!!

The 2003 model has just gone into production this week but has hardly any differences. The 3-door version for the US you are now recieving is designated 2002.5 model year. 2004 sees a totally new vehicle, strongly expected to be similar to the Ford Maverick/Mazda Tribute which is selling dreadfully here and has been slated in all our car magazines. Trouble is, Ford take about 11 hours to build a Maverick against 17 hours for a Freelander.

Many people here expect Ford to slowly kill Land Rover in favour of their own inferior branded cars.

We have 3 engine options here: 1)1.8 liter petrol which is the most popular, 2)2.0 liter turbo diesel made by BMW which is most economical at 37mpg and still pretty quick with a modified engine management chip and 3) 2.5 liter V6 which we can't afford petrol for!! (remember we pay about $5 per gallon).

The Freelander is 5 years old now but still the best selling SUV in europe, and the best riding on road, and best handling off-road. Reliability should not be a problem, it has been fine here - just remember to give it an occasional cup of earl gray tea and the odd cucumber sandwich....

Production volumes this week are 1650 vehicles, down from 1950 last month.....so you are getting an exclusive, limited edition car, not a mass produced Japanese box.

Feel free to ask questions, if I can't answer, my next door neighbour works in the development section at Land Rover and knows them inside out.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,921
    Smashing to have you aboard!

Steve, Host
  • numuupnumuup Posts: 4
    A local dealership is asking $23,999 for a 2002 Freelander SE. Has 12,000 miles, black color, with upgrade Harmon sound system. Is this a reasonable asking price?
    Thanks
  • diegob1diegob1 Posts: 10
    I believe the model changes in the 2003 model (TD4) is just a complete black interior spec (here in South Africa we have already the 2002.5 model with white lights).
    Adrian24 can you tell us more of any technical updates ? I just ordered a TD4 and it's being made in UK as we speak. (I have traded in my model 2000 Freelander with 110 000 KM on the clock)
  • Numuup:

Basically you are getting a car with 1 year's worth of miles for $24K. This car would sticker out new for over $29K with options. Sounds like a good (not great) deal. One warning. A less than a year old car on a dealer lot with 12K miles on it sounds like it may be a repo. Sometimes repo's are driven hard "and put away wet." Will the warranty remain in effect? If so, you may be getting an okay deal.

Other thing to think about. Land Rover is offering special financing on a new Freelander. Of course this would not apply to the used vehicle. Don't know what your plans are or what rate you would qualify for on a used vehicle, but the special interest rate on a new vehicle may compensate for the difference in your payments on the used vehicle. If you qualify for the special rate, see what your payments would be on a new vehicle and maybe go that way.

Good Luck!
  • Hi down there!!

You might not be too suprised to learn that the 2003 is the same car as the 2002.5 except for:

1) raised LR lettering for the bonnet/hood badge
    2) 64 litre fuel tanks for the 1.8/2.5 petrol version (NOT for the diesel)
    3) err....nope, that it!!

I guess if you buy a 2002.5, all you need do is change the bonnet badging and you would never tell the difference!!

2004 model will get the range rover headlights.

cheers!
  • Thanks for the info ! That is what I suspected ! Having had a Freelander 2.0 TDI for 3 years and 110 000 km later, I feel that it would not be justified to spend a fortune to re-buy virtually the same vehicle ! The only problems I am experiencing with the TDI is drive train faults... (IRD replaced, Side shaft replaced, Backlash too severe) otherwise the car is fine ! Average consumption for the life is 11.8 Km/Lt. The engine is nice and loose now & is going like a dream ! The quality is dubious at best. I am looking to replace it with a jeep cherokee 2.5 diesel ltd. I will buy the new Freelander in 2 years time when it's revamped....
    :)
  • I just bought a 2002 Freelander over here in Georgia, USA. I really like it. Are there any things good or bad that I should know about the Freelander??? I have read only good things about it. Did you say that the new ones have a bigger fuel tank???
  • egr8egr8 Posts: 1
    Hello, been poking around this board for sometime now, waiting for '03 SE3 to arrive, almost bought 5Dr in spring...I went to the auto show in boston, no freelander SE3 :-( But did get a full line-up bochure with lots of info on SE3, hardtop standard! and black A-frame front brush bar, black technical fabric seats! Anyone know if rear seat is for 2 or 3 people? Seen it both ways overseas ----
  • I just bought a Freelander '02 HSE and love it so far. I have an embarassing question, though. There is a switch on the dashboard immediately below the cruise control switch. It is a push-button with a picture of what looks like a light on it and when pressed, illuminates a light on the dash with the same icon. However, I can't find any reference to this button in the manual and I can't figure out what it does :(
    Any help out there?

thanks,
    Michael
    That's to remind you to rotate your bulbs....

jgmilberg "Most embarrassing question ever--please don't laugh!!" Nov 7, 2002 2:11pm

(ok, maybe not )

Steve, Host
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    That switch is for the standard rear foglamps. When activated the red lights under the back up lights go on.
    My Edmunds SUV newsletter reports that Land Rover's five-door Freelander will be joined by a three-door SE3 model.

Steve, Host
  • lok888lok888 Posts: 1,749
    I don't pay much attention to the SE3. Do other people still interested in 2dr SUV? Toyota is still makeing the 2dr RAV4 hardtop(current model) for Japan and other countries, except US. It leaves the Chevy Tracker and Suzuki Vitara (soft top) Maybe Land Rover will bring back the Defender 90.
  • This is the fifth day with my white gold Freelander HSE, and it is just perfect. Love being perched up so high in the superbly comfortable seats. I find the engine very torquey, never have to get the revs high to launch. Transmission is fun with the sport shift mode, ride is downright plush, stereo (nine speaker Harmon Kardon) is great and let's face it, in the league of small sport ute's this is by far the best looking one. Also have been pleasantly surprised by the quality! To top it all off, it is downright rare in my area, so I don't see my self at every stoplight, in fact, have not seen another Freelander yet! Getting great feedback from all observers, major road cred (yes, it matters to me so screw). Was also quite happy with the price, it's a good value. This is my first sport utility vehicle, I figured, hell, if I'm gonna get one, may as well get a capable one.
  • I, too, am interested in the 3 door SE3. Yeah, I know people only want 4 door SUV's, but this looks like a combination of the open air fun of a Jeep Wrangler, with the cargo room of a small SUV. Sounds intriguing. Does anyone know when they'll be available in the states, and any word on pricing?
  • There was a good 5 inches on the ground for my trek to work Wednesday morning, and still snowing furiously. With 680 miles on the clock, pulled out of my driveway with the hill decent control engaged for the first challenging leg of my journey: my street! Yes, its almost straight down and the Freelander just walked right down that snowy, icy hill flawlessly. Anyway on my 15 mile trip to work, passed several people going uphill as they struggled with various front drive cars, I felt a bit rude really but oh well, buy a Land Rover and forget your winter troubles. Bottom line is for now the Freelander just seems unstoppable. Even behaved better than expected on ice, it is just well balanced. Recommend a light touch on the throttle because if not you will be launched forward like a rocket even in the most slippery circumstances and no, you can not defy the laws of physics.
  • riri23riri23 Posts: 15
    From the first time I saw a Freelander I fell in love with it.

I am planning on buying a new car when the 2004 models come out.

I've read that MY2004 will be re-designed, I hope the cargo space will be increased.

Do you guys have any inside info on cargo space?

And for those of you who currently own a Freelander, how much can you place in the cargo area with the seats upright? Is there enough space for a cooler and other camping gear?

Thanks.