Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• calycaly Posts: 3
    Hi, I am updating my post #846 to let let you know how our problem was solved. After all the problems with our 02 Freelander I did a lot of searching and found a Lemon law lawyer in the NJ,Pa area. We sent in all of our service reports. I also sent certified letters letters to Ford and copies to all dealer management from where we purchased the truck. After the lawyer is involved the ball starts rolling. Now the phone calls from Landrover come in after they did not want to listen earlier. The case was settled I think more because they just wanted to get rid of us. Not being able to look anyone in the eye and sell them a hunk of junk and afraid they would come back with revenge if we sold it privately we traded it in. On the way to trade it in we had to stop and pull up the back passenger window it kept falling down. So we knew there would be problems again. With the money we received plus the trade we bought a Honda CRV. It is not as comfortable and nice but it starts every day and has not been in the shop at all. I do feel very sorry for the poor soul that bought our 02 freelander. Be aggressive and I hope this information can help someone else with their problems. Thank You, Chris
  • How did you qualify under lemon law?? I have looked into this option as well, but found that due to the car being out of warrenty and over 2 year old that we didn't qualify. My '02 has been nothing but problems as well... sitting in the shop right now actually needing a NEW TRANSMISSION with only 37,000 miles. We have been waiting for 3 weeks for LRNA to call us back and to no avail. I would appreciate any additional advice you would like to pass along and also the name/number of the attorney you used. Thanks. c.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,916
    Please mark your email public in your profile or set up your CarSpace page and use your CarSpace email account for passing the contact info back and forth instead of posting phone numbers in the discussion. Thanks.
  • calycaly Posts: 3
    Hi, I posted my number on the site would be easier if you just called me. I'll be going away at the end of the Month so try to catch me during the week before than. Thank You, Chris
  • Hi Guys,
    I'm not condoning Land Rover and had my share of troubles with our 2002 SE, but if it's causing you so much personal grief, why not take the loss and move on? I know it's hard to do and goes against principles and stuff, but you'll feel so much better afterward.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • Greetings,

A very disconcerting event occurred last night to my daughters 2002 Freelander. While driving along on flat dry pavement at 25-30 mph the antilock brakes engaged with just a slight touch to the brake pedal bringing the car to a sudden halt in the middle of the street. The brakes are locked and will not release. Any Ideas on why this happenred and how to unlock the brakes so i can have the vehicle towed to the dealer for service? I shudder to think what might have happpened if this occurred at highway speeds.

Thanks in advance.

George
  • We have an '02 Freelander S. At 72K miles, that thing has more leaks than a baby does in a 2-day old diaper. It's a miserable car to maintaince. Considering that LR was trying to appeal to people who may have also been considering small SUV's from Hyundai, KIA, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc., they CERTAINLY did not consider that people shopping in those price points would be thinking "What will the new timing belt change cost?"

Think again - $2K! That's right. Two grand for a belt change. At the dealership, no less.

We put a new tranny in it at 47K, and are now having the seals in the rear axel fixed. WE HATE THE MAINTAINCE COSTS FOR THIS THING!

Gawd, I can't wait to trade this thing. :lemon:
  • Hi,
    I've had terrible problems with my Freelander. This is the letter I wrote to Land Rover of North America...I'm considering some type of class action against them. Thanks for reading. Lora

I have owned a 2003 Land Rover Freelander S since October 17th, 2003 and I can say I fear for my life while operating the vehicle due to the overwhelming hazards associated with the automobile. Your automobile has not only been an inconvenience with the number of times it has broken down but has cost me valuable time and money.

The vehicle has broken down 13 times in the past 18 months.

October 11th, 2006 – This was a truly horrifying experience for me. The engine lost power but the tachometer raced into the red zone. I was traveling about 60 MPH on and interstate. I was pulling over to the right shoulder and suddenly the vehicle regained power and shot off down the shoulder. Imagine if I went down an embankment and died or perhaps I shot into other vehicles? In addition to this, my engine thermometer showed the engine was running hot and steam started rolling out from underneath the hood. Mileage 42,040

TOWED TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – REPLACED HOSE, REPLACED FAULTY WINDOW REGULATOR.

October 26th, 2006 – This was another frightening episode regarding the engine racing out of control. I was driving at about 30 MPH when the car lost power but the engine was racing out of control. The tachometer was almost reaching the red zone. Let me ask, if somehow the engine had engaged again, would I have been so lucky again to keep control of the vehicle? How does the death of your customer or other drivers weigh on your minds Land Rover of North America? Mileage 41,430

The vehicle was towed to the Land Rover dealer. I explained via phone I was frightened to operate the vehicle and reiterated that point when I picked up the vehicle from the service department. I spoke to one of the service representatives and also asked the service Manager to contact me.

TOWED TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – TRACED TO FAULTY THROTTLE BODY. REPLACED THROTTLE BODY.

August 15th, 2006 – The vehicle would not start again today. I cancelled all of my appointments and waited for the tow truck (again). Mileage 40,093

TOWED TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – STARTER FOUND CRANKING TOO SLOW AND SMOKING. TRACED INTERMITTEN FAILURE TO FUSE BOX. REPLACED ENGINE FUSE BOX & STARTER ASSEMBLY.

July 27th, 2006 – Again, the vehicle would not start. Mileage 40,371

TOWED TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – DIAGNOSES TRACED TO FAULTY IGNITION SWITCH. REPLACED IGNITION SWITCH AND RETESTED OPERATION.

May 15th, 2006 – This time the vehicle would only start after the fifth or sixth time. It was towed to the Land Rover dealer. This time it was big news. The original Land Rover engine had broken down so many times, it was time to replace it with a new one. I thought, “Maybe this will be the end of my problems”. Obviously, not….. Mileage 37,525

TOWED TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – INTAKE MANIFOLD REPLACED AND REPLACED THE ENGINE.

February 16th, 2006 – It broke down again. There’s a strange smell coming from the vehicle. Mileage 35,160

TOWED TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – REPLACED GASKETS AND THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY.

January 20th, 2006 – Today the vehicle was overheating again. I’ve still been adding coolant every one to two days. Thank god I didn’t need to have the vehicle towed, that saved me a few hours of lost productivity. Miles 34,206

DROVE THE VEHICLE TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE - REPLACED COOLANT BOTTLE CAP. RENEWED UPPER INTAKE MANIFOLD. REPLACED BREAK LIGHTS. DROVE THE VEHICLE 134 MILES.

January 18th, 2006 – The vehicle lost power today along with my power steering. It was a frightening experience. I was traveling downhill so was able to pull into a parking lot while I waited for the tow truck. Mileage 34,748

TOWED TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – FOUND THROTTLE BODY TO BE FOULED.

November 25th, 2005 – Now the vehicle overheats at random moments. I’m not sure if the vehicle is safe to drive. There’s also coolant leaking from under the car, not a good sign. Mileage 33,059

DROVE THE VEHICLE TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE - LEAKING UPPER RADIATOR HOSES, OVERFLOW BOTTLE LEAKING, BY-PASS HOSE LEAKING.

February 15th, 2005 – The engine doesn’t turn over and all I hear is a clicking sound. Sometimes it starts, sometimes not. It’s frustrating. The break lights come on for no reason also there’s coolant under the car. Mileage 20,807

DROVE THE VEHICLE TO LAND ROVER OF SEATTLE – VEHICLE HAS A FAILED IGNITION SWITCH AND WEAK RELAY. REPLACED FAUTLY SWITCH AND RELAY.

VEHICLE NEEDS A COMPLETE SOFTWARE UPDATE. UPDATED SOFTWARE.

VEHICLE HAS FAULTY BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH. REPLACED BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH.

LEAK IN A COLLANT HOSE. REPAIRED LEAK AND ORERED HOSE.

ENGINE HAS FAUTS. VEHICLE HAS FAUTLY VARIABLE INTAKE ACTUATORS. REPLACED FAULTY MOTORS.
  • Please, Please somebody let's get started on the class action lawsuit Our transmission went out at 60,000, new sunroof, new engine, various other bad news, we have 2 loans now just to drive this 02 Freelander and absolutely no sympathy or concern from the dealer sign me up
  • we would certainly be interested in a class action lawsuit It would be interesting to see how many other people who are out there but just suffering silently our car was a problem from the moment we bought our dealer even admits that the 02 has hurt their reputation, but they are not willing to help us at all but very ready to charge us another big ticket
  • From the moment we bought our 02 Freelander, we have had nothing but one expense after another with the dealer more than happy to charge us 100.00 an hour to service it, just for hoses it can cost 450.00 in repairs we have 2 loans just to pay for the new engine, transmission, sunroof, various other things we've had to pay for no sympathy or slack from the dealer at all you'd think they would roll out the red carpet since they are aware they have these problems, but instead they are barely civil and ready to charge whatever they can for servicing this lemon I'm thinking of getting a big lemon sign for the sign of mine and drive it around town and into the dealer the next time I forgot to mention the month it took me last year to pass the emissions testing and now again I have a service engine light on and need 450.00 for hoses before I can get my tags renewed and now I'm running on expired tags somebody please let's get this class action lawsuit started
  • msouthwmsouthw Posts: 14
    Lora! I am so glad to find that I am not nuts, although I am sorry to know that there are soooo many others suffering like I have. I JUST found out that I may be out of car b/c the engine is done from SOMETHING that caused an overheating. I am out of the dealers warranty but bought an extended warranty that is now giving me a hard time. That is more than 20k loss & I only had the car for 2 years! I also had problems with windows, sunroof,the battery, and goodness knows what else was preparing to fail. It is a 2002 HSE Freelander. I am MORE than willing to assist with a class action suit. I can reach out to Attorney friends to seek help. How can I be in contact with you?
    Melissa
    Hey Chris, I wonder if I was the poor soul! I bought my black 2002 HSE Freelander from a NJ dealership and had the same problem with the passenger back window...and then some. You might notice I have posted a few responses since my engine is now done. If you might be able to reach out to me with the info of the attorney you used, I would appreciate it. I am beside myself with aggravation for the situation I am now in. PLEASE contact me.
    Hope all is well with your Honda!
    I know you posted this a while ago, but I am looking for people to get a class action suit going. I know there are a whole BUNCH of us. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE contact me! My engine is done & my extended warranty company is fighting me on it. My car is now wrapped up in my mortgage so this will probably be a $50k loss or worse! I can't have that. Not to mention numerous other issues with my 2002 HSE Freelander. Look forward to hearing from you!
  • I just found out that I need to replace 2 "celenoids" in the '02 Frelander transmission, about $750.00. Anyone else? (85,000 miles)
  • I just found out that i need to replace 2 celanoids on the transmission, $750.00. Anyone else? (85,000.00 miles)
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    I think you mean solenoid... yes, that sounds like normal wear and tear maintenance for that amount of mileage - not certain if that is a good price though.. is it still under warranty?

/DA
  • zducerzducer Posts: 3
    A lot of problems. Now I have 36,000 miles on it. Right now I put it back to service at Rosenthal Jaguar Land Rover in Tysons Corner because of coolant problems. I just notice that the coolant is always empty every 600 miles. They just repaired it last spring @ 29K miles when I got overheating problem. Before that they did a lot of repairs already like my rear seat does not fold back, change sunroof, change left headlight because of the moisture, all ac knobs always got chips (4x), front suspension makes some squicky noise and now again cold weather just arrived there's noise again. :mad:!!! Hey LAND ROVER WE PAID A LOT OF MONEY FOR YOUR JUNKY ENGINEERING!!! :sick:
  • zducerzducer Posts: 3
    You are much luckier for 9K miles. My cousin changed the transmission at her own cost too. Just 1,000 miles more from the 50,000 miles warranty. The Land Rover said it's not on the warranty anymore. :sick: I'm going to sell my 04 HSE Freelander after winter. Just to avoid more headache.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.