Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• I bought a used 2002 Freelander and the Idler Pullies for the timming belt broke and it jumped time. I was just told that the engine is gone now. It has 64k miles so I am screwed. I don't think I will buy another land rover. :mad:
  • Freelanders have to have a belt service done at around 63k-67k or the belts will break and the engine will self destruct. This is true of any motor that is an interference design, which most hondas and toyotas are as well.

Did you buy it from a Land Rover dealer they should have told you about the big service at around 60,000 miles?
  • My friend kelly experienced transmission failure at 60,000 miles- just outside the warranty-
    is there any info on service bulletins on tranny failure?
    anything that can be done??
  • I just bouth 5 months ago a Freelander 2002 with 56,000 miles. In November at 62,000 miles the transmission died. It would cost $3400 to replace it with a rebuilt. How can a transmission died on a 4 year old vehicule, especialy on a car with such a good reputation? I called Land Rover America and they basicaly do not give a dam about our problems. If you buy a Rover, please get the extra warranty.
  • samething happened to us. at around the same mileage the transmission had to be replaced. at around 82,000 miles the entire engine had to be replaced a timing belt broke and killed the entire engine. luckily we had the extended warranty and it covered the transmission but not the engine. the dealers said if the 72000 mile check up had been done then at that time they replace the timing belts and other things at a cost of about 1200.00 dollars. the engine was 3,741 dollars not counting the labor at 94.00 dollars an hour. and the dealers know about the problems with that particular land rover. the company no longer makes freelanders due to the bad experiences with the vehicle. but they dont offer to claim they are lemon vehicles.
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CALL 1-800-LEMON-LAW OR GO TO WWW.LEMONLAW.COM. It is worth the time and effort for your troubles with the LR FL.
  • THANK YOU!!! My vehicle is no longer covered under the manufacturers warranty. Car was bought in NJ. Had to call the NJ Atty Generals office. They are forwarding a package to me. I am also filing with Better Business Bureau Auto Line 800-955-5100. Land Rover can and SHOULD do better... LETS GET'EM!!!!!
  • AGAIN, it is worth the call to the Lemon Law Attorneys... regardless of the expired warrenty. c.
  • I bought my 2002 freelander used from about a year and half ago and i've had the transmission replaced six months ago under the extended warranty and this morning when i was going to work the check engine light came on. I have a few more years of payments and I'm stuck. Please count me in I wish I could just get rid of this thing!!
  • I bought an 04 freelander hse back in aug of this year. Today 12-08-2006 an aluminum bracket underneath the passenger side that holds the trailer arm or I beam "which ever they call it " broke off and cause my truckt to pull to the left and across lanes and t- boned another car. I called Land Rover and awaiting there response lord knows they will say it is my fault some how. I called a lemon law place they said my truck isn't concidered to be a lemon due to the fact I bought it this year and it is an 04. This is bs :mad: :mad: :mad: :lemon: :lemon:
  • :) ****COULD YOU EMAIL ME THE NAME OF YOUR EXTENDED WARRANTY COMPANY*****
    THANKS
    por2001996@hotmail.com
  • Anyone has an extended warranty that they could give me a name or contact info. I have an 04 Freelander with is amlost out of its factory warranty.
    thanks
    por2001996@hotmail.com
    :confuse: :confuse:
  • ummm spamming the forum with your blog is not going to win people over... one post would have sufficed.
  • I am in the same boat as your friend Kelly.
    I am looking for help to. Has she had any luck ?
    My truck is in the shop... not being worked on until I can get back to them. PLEASE HELP!!
  • jimnyjimny Posts: 4
    I bought the Freelander in 6/03
    In '05 the engine sucked a valve (is what they call it) needed to be rebuilt - approx 5.5K - I was over warranty by 3K miles but they covered it. I had to pay 1K for timing belt and other parts - quote since it's apart lets do the maintenance. Rear window motor went last month - another common problem.

Started to hear other clunking noises in the front end when turning - not sure what that is.

Last week - Transmission started slipping - dealer quotes it 5400 - like 4600 hundred for the trany and 1000 for some leak plenum leak above the tranny. Car has 68K miles and I do not have the extended warranty. I still owe 6100 on it

Dealer said they;d give me 3K for the car - Joy - can you guys screw me any more please?

I will be contaced the lemon law site hopefully something happens with this piece of junk car.
  • Need input - I need help too - I purchased a used 2002 FREELANDER and its been in the shop more than can stand it. It was in for the following reasons-
    brakes, brakes, brakes, fuel pump, defective fuel pump, etc.., pattern on this - don't know what to do.

Does anyone have experience with changing the tire with that pidly tire jack.... I had a blowout on a tire and the thing broke while trying to fix.....

I can't get rid of my car either - upside down on the loan and - still owe

if anyone needs info on the used vehicle they purchased:
    There is a recall on these 02-04 vehicles for --
    1. interior door handle where the occupant can open the door when the CHILD SAFETY LEVER is in the ON position and can FALL out into the traffic.. The recall began 9/05 and you should call this number 800-637-6837
    2. The A-Pillar trim failed to comply with requirements "Occupant Protection in Interior Impact during testing... recalled 12/05
  • Same EXACT thing happened to me on Friday...Is there a class action suit??? Land Rover KNOWS there is a poroblem with these cars (my local dealership even admitted it)!

If there is not a class action suit i think we should start one, this is RIDICULOUS.
  • :lemon: I agree... where can we go to start a CLASS ACTION- this is beyond rediculous.... Land Rover should be ASHAMED of their company....
  • DO NOT GO WITH WYNNS!!!! Wynns is expensive and they will NEVER cover repairs!
  • tpeeltpeel Posts: 17
    I am in deep s... at 48,500 miles my Freelander 2004 overheated. I took it to my local mechanic who was stumped on where the coolant went. None on the engine or road. I towed it to Land Rover New Rochelle where they diagnosed the problem as a crack in the reservoir and the the fan had stopped working. 4,500 miles ( out of warranty)later I overheated again, this time it was the thermostat. My local mechanic replaced it with a Land Rover thermostat. 10 days later I overheated again. Went back to Land Rover- they informed me that I need a new engine $6,800 . Land Rover North America won't help nor the dealership. I know of 2 other Freelanders that met the same fate. Coolant in the engine. Is there any legal actions I can take? How this happened to anyone else?