Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• I am doing cart wheels. I just traded my 2005 Land Rover Free Lander in for a new BMW. I got pennies for this piece of junk THE CAR DEPRECIATED 75% in JUST 3 YEARS. . My BMW dealer took pity on me and still accepted my Land Rover FreeLander as trade even after the check engine light lit up when he inspected it today as the head gasket is inherently defective and is need of replacement for the second time. Don't buy a Freelander or any other LandRover Product. The head gasket went after just two years and 51K because it was 1K over the warranty LandRover refused to repair it.. The uninitiated may not know this but when a head gasket goes the ENTIRE ENGINE MUST BE REPLACED AT A COST OF OVER $6500. I fought with LandRover USA all the way up to the executive VP for weeks and gave up. They actually admitted that if they fixed all of the defective head gaskets and replaced the engines it would not solve the problem as this engine has a fatal irreparable design flaw. They also said that the company was financially insolvent and making good on their warranty claims would bankrupt them. I also owned and sold a 2001 Discovery that was falling apart. Everything breaks quickly in these cars. These are horrible vehicles sold by an unscrupulous company. They advertise non stop with constant "promotions" to entice the unknowing into buying the worst engineered and manufactured cars in the world. You will feel like a fool if you let their stupid test track, low interest finance and /or "special lease deals": trick you into purchasing the absolute worst vehicle in the world At least if the company stood behind its product you might tolerate the horrible quality and even worse engineering. I spent over $100,000 in 3 years purchasing two new Land Rovers only to be told I was 1K over my warranty and that I had to pay 6500$ for a new engine. They are noisy loud uncomfortable gas guzzlers. It is no wonder that the company has been bought and sold 3 times in 5 years. No one wants to own the company why in the world would anyone want to own one of their vehicles. Please contact me if there is a class action lawsuit. My LadnRover experience with the FreeLander Head Gasket defect makes me a poster child for compensatory as well as punative damages for this inherently defective product whose makers knew it was defective as these head gaskets have been failing since this model was introduced. I will throw a pary when this company goes the way of the Yugo. Bankrupcy is inevitable and is a fate better than the employees,, ownership and management deserve.
  • i was driving my 02 freelander with 50,440 miles on it yesterday till the check engine light came on. i took out my obd 2 diagnostic scanner and it showed me a po455 code which is an evap emission control system leak {major leak} when i read about it online. What should i do i really dont want to send thousands for fixing it i would like some advice please thanks alot for tips.
  • trburtontrburton Posts: 22
    Sell the thing before it disintegrates as mine did at 52,000 miles. Believe me, if it is an emission problem you might get it repaired under warranty, depending on where you live. If you keep it, plan on having it towed to the landfill soon.
  • WHAT DO U THINK I SHOULD DO
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    At the very least, take your Freelander to the dealer or repair shop and determine the extent of the problem along with an estimate for repairs. That will help you decide on the appropriate course of action.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Ill probably take it to the landrover dealership to tell me the extent of the problem and how severe it is. i made an appointment yesterday and they told me to come in by thursday to come in and let them check out whats the problem which would be about 45 minutes the guy told me on the phone when i spoke to him and told him what code on the obd it said the po455 and i would have to pay about $150 just for them to look at the problems on what has evolved into the car.

landrover dealership RIPPPP OFFFFF!!!!!
  • sripleysripley Posts: 39
    One word of advice, that $100 plus labor "Diagnostic Fee" is total [non-permissible content removed]. Half the time they know what the problem is by the car's symptoms. For instance, the "Check Engine Soon" light comes on as a symptom of Head Gasket Failure, however you would first notice that your car loses antifreeze in a 2-4 week period without ever needing a diagnostic. Also for example, the 3 amigos (Hill Descent, Antilock, and Traction Control) lights come on when a wheel speed sensor is loose. And they should replace your Brake Light Switch, which was the ONLY recalled part thus far on this vehicle.

If you notice a symptom, you can usually figure out the problem without paying the $100 + labor diagnostic, alot of the problems have been widely posted on this & other auto forums.

Just dont spend too much money on this vehicle, it's money better spent on a different vehicle that you will inevitably have to get, especially as the SUV reaches the old age of 80,000 miles (the vehicle typically is dead by 100,000 miles or thereabouts, from one of these many described critical failures: oil leak, head gasket leak, transmission leak/failure, or something else).
  • cyd68cyd68 Posts: 9
    I have tried numerous times to contact Mr. Getman & have not had any success! Just wondered what is going on???? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I have an 03 F*&%lander, I sent all of my info to the
    atty & I've yet to hear back from him, this was 3
    weeks ago! I advise all of you to go to the FTC web
    site voice your concerns on how unsafe this car is &
    that it should be taken of the highways, streets, etc.
    That is going to get us the help we need, seriously
    does someone have to die before they will recognize
    what a safety hazard this car is. I drove around for
    months without brake lights, they had recalled the
    recall on the brake switch. My back passenger window
    dropped & shattered with my 2yr old niece in her car
    seat right next to it. The cable to the motor that
    sits inside the door wrapped itself around it the
    motor & busted. That was $500 to replace. Not to
    mention $6500.00 to replace the engine with a rebuilt
    engine after 6 months of waiting for an engine only to
    be told by LR that I was negligent & didn't follow the
    maintenance rules. I have all of the paperwork to
    prove it & they denied it & would not give me the car
    back until I paid them in cash & then I got stuck with
    a $4000.00 rental car bill. My credit sux now, I can't
    buy a new car! Im stuck, but it does make me feel
    better to know that Im not alone! So take an extra few
    minutes to contact NHTSA & FTC, I wrote the atty
    general in my state, they couldn't help but referred
    me to the FTC!!! Power in numbers people!! We need
    HELP!!!
    Cyd
    03 Freelander, SE 71,000 miles. Engine replaced at 45,000, fuel pump replaced at 62,000 miles. both brakes replaced numerous times! :lemon:
    Im sorry, this might be a dumb ?, but what kind of attorney did you get for your case? I have never done anything like this before & I am waiting for the class action lawsuit, but I'm not sure thats going to happen. I need a back up plan just in case! My F4 code has came on numerous times & I take it in to LR & they don't have a clue 99.9% of the time. But, yes do yourself a favor & get rid of it while you still can. Ive left mine parked with the keys in it, with hopes of someone stealing it, but no such luck! :confuse:
  • moe71moe71 Posts: 11
    I purchased a 2002 Landrover Freelander SE in 2004, it only had 40,000 miles on it so I thought I was getting a deal. I did all the research and at the time didn't see any issues. Boy was I scammed. It spent the first 3 months at the dealership and essentially had the enginer rebuilt as I was consistenly having a loss of power. Now at 75,000 miles I am having the problem again. My doors won't open with the keyless entry now, except for the driver's side door...and I can't unlock any doors from inside the vehicle. I have to manually open the door from the inside. The driver's side rear passenger window won't open. What next? This can't be happening. I called the dealership and asked if I was covered and the service guy started giving me crap saying I haven't been in for a service. Well they are located 60 miles away and only open till five...I have to work to support the vehicle so I have been keeping up the maintenance locally with a private mechanic. Something needs to be done! :mad:
  • trburtontrburton Posts: 22
    I won a lawsuit against Land Rover in chancery court for $5080 engine repair costs.
    LR will appeal & I need to prove the oil change interval was NOT 6000 miles as testified by the Dealership's service manager. The dealership lost the Passport to Service & I need the page or pages that show the reccommended oil change milage. Can anyone copy & e-mail this info to me at trburton@comcast.net.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    I suppose you could ask the judge to log on to the net and surf to the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

It show the Land Rover recommended 12,000 oil change frequency and we get that info straight from the manufacturer.

If the dealer lost your Passport to Service booklet, why not ask the judge to put the burden on the dealer to find it or they lose their claim that 6,000 miles was the interval?
  • darriagadarriaga Posts: 4
    I just got a 2002 freelander and my right brake light and right headlight dont work i am going to take it in today to get fixed do yall think i should just get rid of it and tell the dealership that i dont want it . I also heard a rattling noise adn they r going to look at that to c what it is .
  • tiredoflrtiredoflr Posts: 40
    YES!!! Return it now while you still can. If you wait......you'll regret it.....they'll make you pay for everything and site that you cannot use the lemon law .....etc....get rid of it now now now, it will be the smartest thing you've ever done! :) :lemon:
    I just got the truck on july 21st and it was from a used dealership and i am not sure if they will lwt me return it so i need to ask the guy if he says no what do i do he said he will fix the lights .
  • sripleysripley Posts: 39
    I would tell you to get rid of it, if you can, but not because of the brake light (which may be due to the recalled Brake Light Switch actually will cause that failure --- ironically the only thing recalled on this vehicle thus far), but I would rather get rid of it before you start experiencing the real major problems with this SUV, including head gasket failures at 40,000 miles+, oil & transmission fluid leaks, fuel pump failures, and that's just the first round.
    i am going to c if the guy with switch out my truck but i am not sure he will i dont know if there is a law that i can tell him about that within a couple of days i can switch out the truck . I need to talk to him and to c what he says do i have a period of time to turn in the truck or get switched out . I have only had it for 5 days .
  • rgunnrgunn Posts: 17
    Has anyone heard of a head gasket failure without any warning lights coming on? We replaced a head gasket but the check engine light never came on. Maybe someone disconected it. What do you think?