Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Freelander

Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
First Drive: 2002 Land Rover Freelander

I wonder how close to $25k US it'll really cost?

Steve
Host
Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Comments

• jgts1jgts1 Posts: 32
    because it looks like a Honda CR-V.....performance wise, I haven't heard its anything to write home about. But, its still a $25-$30k Land Rover- so, it should sell just fine.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    The only thing it has in common with the CRV is looks. V-6 engine, 5spd steptronic trans, Unibody developed for off-road abilities (not based on an existing car), Hill Descent control. All these things and more will put it head and shoulders above the CRV.
    Its going to be a better vehicle than the CRV...just being facetious.
    Sorry if I offended, just trying to provide some info on the differences :)
    your providing real info.....nothing wrong with that :).
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Posts: 187
    To say the least, I think this will be an interesting option in the SUV market. but, three things worry me greatly.

1) The ability of LR to produce the Freelander in mass, US size quantities. The reports are that LR will double their sales with the Freelander, but will they be able to produce enough vechicles so that the waits aren't that long?

2) Speaking of waits, does LR have a history of charging a premium over sticker on their vehicles? This one is destined to be popualr from the get-go, so it concens me that the top-of-th-libe HSE will not be $30K, but rather $35K with a premium...Heck, does LR have a history of dickering over price on their vehicles, or is it sticker and that's that?

3) The Disco II is getting cut to shreds for its many problems. As the Freelander is an older design, I hope this version will be almost "all-new" with many kinks worked out.

What does everyone think?
    Land Rover is not a mass marketer, so production will be tailored to the sales numbers estimated. Land Rover retailers, like almost all automotive retailers, are independant businesses and will set their own pricing policies. Freelander has changed from the original vehicle with about 75% all new and updated parts.
    Well, agreed on the dealers being independant, but...I'd imagine there has to be some pricing history there. Sales estimates say that LR will move over 50K of these in the first year.

LR has established www.freelander.com to hype the little bugger.

Also the Swinton plant has been expanded to handle the new 2002/2003 RR, which is based off of the X5 platform. Thus it'll have IFS and IRS...Talk about a bad move.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The Mitsubishi Montero has 4 wheel independent suspension, and so far all of the auto magazines I have read have been very pleased with its off-road performance. In addition to this, it won the '01 Paris to Dakar Rally, which is 21 days of off-roading, and over 6200 miles across the African continent. Last year, the 4 wheel independent suspension prototype class Renault buggy won the race (and the year before, and the year before that too!), as did the Mercedes-Benz M-class SUV (4 wheel independent suspension as well) in the T1 production vehicle class. It may not be too bad of a move after all, considering what most people do with their Range Rovers!

Anyway, back to the Freelander...I took these pictures of UK spec Freelander (dressed up with a weird package) at a recent autoshow:

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I know LRNA is forecasting 20,000 sales for the 1st year in the U.S., looking to double total sales to 50,000. I certainly hope they can do more than that, as I have a personal interest in LRNA's success.
    Drew....Since you saw the Freelander in person, can you give an approximate guess as to how high it stands? From the photos it looks no taller than the Subaru Forester.
    A personal interest in LRNA success?? Do you work for Ford?

ALso, I know the Montero had four wheel IS, but do we really think the one that took the Paris Dakar title is the same at th dealer down the street? Honestly, I have no idea, but I am guessing the racing Montero had some mods to its body, frame, and suspension.
    I would say that it's Honda CR-V height. Definitely higher than the Subaru Forester. Entry and exit was easy. I sat in both the front and the rear seats. The front seats were quite comfortable, but really tall folks may have a problem with headroom. The rear seat had adequate legroom, comparable with the Mazda Tribute, at least from what I remember. There was definitely a lot of interest in this vehicle!

The ergonomics were traditional Land Rover though. That is to say, okay, but not great. The centre console cluster is a bit low down and far away from the driver.

Drew
    Host
    So I do have a definite interest. I have driven a 4 cyl Freelander that was here for testing, it is about CRV Height, but I find the interior much more comfortable. I also presently own a Forester (bought before I became a permanent employee) and find the Freelander a bit more comfortable in front and it has much better rear seat room. It falls down in cargo capacity though. The 4 cyl Freelander felt quick and more solid than the CRV I had test driven before buying the Forester. I am 6'2" and large of girth and had no problem getting comfortable in the Freelander, I actually find it more comfortable than the Discovery. I can't wait to try the 6 cyl NAS spec vehicle.
    Wow, we're fortunate to have you as an insider then! Any hints to share with us? ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Will not have the teal colored HVAC vents or the light grey dash. The vehicles without wood trim will have brushed silver on the HVAC surround and Shifter trim, and ash black will be the dash color. Also the vehicle in Canada was a German spec car (U.K. Spec are RHD). Also we will not be getting the ribs on the exterior. We are also going to have a full line of accessories to give the off-road look to the vehicle.
    For those wondering about the off-road capabilities, this will be a true Land Rover. From comments of our off-road driving instructors I gather that they were very impressed with the capabilities of the vehicle. Even with independent suspension it still will have a class leading 10.5" of ground clearance. The v6 engine has variable length intake runners to provide for more torque at lower RPM. Also 1 and 2 gears in the 5 speed steptronic trans are geared lower to help overcome the lack of a 2 speed transfer case. Approach and departure angles haven't been announced, but looking at the vehicle they should be acceptable. I hope to get a chance to take one off road at one of our test tracks. As I get more info that I can post I'll let you all know.
    Well, I am 5'11 and have very broad shoulders, so I am glad to hear that the Freelander is a bit spacious. I also think I might like the HVAC and radio controls farther away and on that angle as I have long arms (5'11 with the arm lnegth of 6'3 man) so I like the controls placed lower.

So, Tincup, a LRNA employee huh? Are you basd out of Lanham, MD or are you a dealership guy? 10.5 inches of GC, really? It looks like it is a alot lower than that. Is that effective gorund clearance (i.e. from the lower part of the control arm) or from the center of the suspension?

Personally I have been hearing about the Land Rover for the past year and a half when a friend working for BMWUSA tasked to LRNA told me of the vehicle.
    Tincup...

Edmunds reported three trim levels in their "first drive" a week or so ago. Do you habe any information about the differentiation between these three levels? How about approximate sticker prices? Also, the brochure I received from LR says that Freelander wil be here in December 2001, does this sound about right or will it be earlier in the fall?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    Now we can all go off-road.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards