Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• otoluvaotoluva Posts: 138
    Congrats on your new purchase,sounds exactly like my future altima except mine will be 5 spd and silver colored.I think you did great on the price and thank you for the few tips you shared with us I'm sure they will be helpful to many buyers.
    Happy holidays
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    Actually, the best drivers in the world CAN outbrake ABS in most situations. It has been shown many times that threshold braking will stop a car more quickly then letting the ABS do it. In real world situations though, most people are better off with ABS.

There are certain situations where ABS is not preferred though. On very snowy roads, a car would actually stop faster (maybe not quite as straight though) without ABS then with ABS. This is because the small amout of snow that builds up in front of the tires when they are locked up actually helps the car stop quicker.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    For first generation early ABS, maybe. But well tuned ABS and traction control in racing became so dominant over the best pros that it had to be banned in many forms of racing.

You can threshold brake on a perfectly dry, even surface, but otherwise you will brake at the threshold of the tire with the least grip. Exceed that and by definition one tire will lock up and you will lose directional stability.

True, for snow and sand, you may be better off disabling ABS, but in some cars you can just pull the e-brake up one click to accomplish that.

-juice
  • Does anyone have a good guess about when Nissan will revise the Altima for the next model year? Are we looking at the next model in September? And what about the interior? Will Nissan respond to criticisms that it looks cheap by making a significant upgrade? Or will they leave a brisk-selling model alone?
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    I would guess that the '03 Alty will debut around September of next year, since that seems to be the usual time for Nissan to introduce its new models. As for the interior, I very much doubt we'll see a significant upgrade because the Altima is selling so well. Unless sales drop off significantly by next year, of course.

I would expect an interior upgrade for '04, since the new Maxima will debut then. Nissan can then upgrade the Altima's interior without fear of cannibalizing Maxima sales.

Not that I really know any more than anyone else here, just my opinion.
  • For the Viewers Choice Award on MotorWeeks website

www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek

This is where it got 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. Show everyone that it is the "Cure for the common car"
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    their latest issue did a road test of the Passat, Camry, Accord and Altima (all with the four cylinder). Altima came in last of these cars tested. However, it did rate very good overall. The main culprit: CHEAP interior. Next month CR will test the Camry V6 and Altima V6 plus a couple of domestic V6 cars (this should insure the Altima finishing at least second). But the Altima will still have the same cheap interior. This might of been my next if it wasn't for the interior decor. Therefore, I'm really ticked that Nissan cut corners when it came to the interior. Hence, my constant negative posts in regards to the Altima.
    If you were Nissan, with the Altima selling like the Pet Rock in the 70s, and profits high, would you change it? They'll probably do a minor update in 2004, but I'm sure their efforts right now are on the next Maxima.

CR is the first to complain about the interior. If you've followed this thread for a while, we've pointed out several articles that complemented the interior.

The 4 banger tied for quickest 0-60, and IIRC it also had the lowest price.

-juice
  • A recent Car & Driver comparo included a 3.5SE, and they carped about the seats, the funky "three tunnel" gauges, and the dash reflecting onto the windshield. They thought the doors sounded tinny, too. Altima came in third out of a field of eight cars.
    C/D didn't like it, but not because it was cheap. They disliked the seats because they were "wrongly shaped," and they just disliked the design of the gauge cluster. They didn't say anything about the "plasticky" nature of the materials as so many here have complained about. And the Altima may have come in third, but it was only only 2 points behind the winner (Accord) and 1 point behind the 2nd place (Camry).

The article is here, if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/ 2001/december/200112_comparo_concealed.xml?&page=6

You'll have to join the link because I can't post words over 115 characters.

For what it's worth, I've had my new Altima for 2 weeks now and I have no complaints about the seats or the gauge cluster. Well, actually, I think the seats are too high (I'm used to a low seating position), but that's really a matter of personal opinion. I also have not noticed the dash reflections they mention in the article.

• I got a new Altima 2.5SL last week and love it! The salesman said i should use the middle grade gas, 89 or whatever it is. Should I use that, or use 87?
    Nissan doesn't ask for anything higher than 87 octane for that engine, so I'd stick with regular.

-juice
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    CR did say that the interior was stylish. That's not my beef, but the cheap materials and poor fit and finish. I find it hard to believe that their are any articles complementing that aspect of the car.
    Read back a ways if you want to find the links, there were a few that specifically liked the interior, even the quality of assembly. I had no problem with the one I test drove.

-juice
  • I love the inside of my Altima. It somehow doesn't feel as solid as my 2000 Max but still it feels good. I don't feel that the inside looks cheap though. I think it just depends on taste. The Max is great inside and I've had people tell me they like the car, but just don't like the way the dash looks.
  • Anybody know what the manual states as minimum octane rating for the 3.5SE?
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    just kidding..but I'm seeing way too many Altimas on the road than I would like.

I was hoping that it wouldn't catch on so quick but people are buying them up.
    Manual recommends 91 octane for the V6, 87 for the 4-cylinder.
  • ahossaahossa Posts: 152
    Afty and SeldonDG:How would you rate the noise in your Altima.I test drove it and the engine noise was pretty loud. I did not travel more than 3 miles. I would like to know the noise level when travelling at highway speed. (over 60MPH)and in city driving. That's the only hesitation I have. Did anyone of you test drove the Camry?
  • ahossaahossa Posts: 152
    I believe Nissan will do something about the interior in 2003.The Accord is going to be all new and unless they do something about it Nissan will be relegated to a distant 3rd.Every reviewer gripes about the interior and it would be foolish to ignore it.Manufacturers are making adjustments immediately to satisfy consumers. They know that there are too many choices out there.No one waits for the complete cycle to make changes.Isn't that why Detroit Big 3 got into trouble anyway?