Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    I thought I'd share my experience so far with the altima I got. I must say I love nearly everything about the car, and as for the inside, well you get used to it and to me it looks just as good as the insides of an accord. Anyways I got the 3.5SE with leather and heated seats. I must admit ya'll were right about the after market leather looking better. Last week I decided to let my friend who's father owns an after market shop install aftermarket leater... yes I know what your thinking why would I've gotten nissans leather in the first place, well they gave me a hell of a deal on the car like I previously stated, and I didn't want to wait for the same car with out the leather to come in so they nocked the numbers around a bit... well anyways it wasn't untill after they'd torn out nissans leather and put in the after market that I realized I should've thought about my heated seats... well when I got in I decided to try them to see if they still worked right.. and to my surprise they did.. so maybe that will help in the posts above. just be forewarned that I did this after I baught the car and had to go back and arguee with the dealership so that I wouldn't have anything dumb happen like void my warrenty, which after an hour of my father negotiating they said that it wouldn't affect my warrenty. I just recently took a trip to pick up my friend in PA, I loved everything in the car the whole way down. especially the power... yet the gas milage is something that is still slowly improving... I got 32 high way I think on my way down and back...I wanted to thank everyone hear for there help in answering my questions as well as providing there own experiences for me to learn from... thanks and I'll drop back in when I get back from my next adventure to Nebraska.... Se YA
    well I've had the altima for a couple weeks now and still love everything about it... yet I've been faced with a delema... my loves my car.. so much in fact that shes asked if we can trade cars and I myself get a another new car...(I asked her why no just go buy one like mine... but her reply was that she HATES sales people at the car dealerships) well any ways I agreed and I'm off to look for another new car... yet while I was lookin at another altima it accurd to me that I really don't need a 4 door sedan.. and the thought of getting a sportyer car slipped into my mind... any suggestions... I've looked at a few and discovered already I don't like BMWs any other sporty cars worth takin a look at...thanx
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    how about an Infiniti G35 coupe, or for less an Accord coupe EX V6. I probably wouldn't look at the Accord sedan, but the coupe is styled very nicely IMO. Too bad there isn't a coupe version of the max or altima (the g35 is close enough though).
    I know how you feel... I think a coupe version of the atltima would really blow away some die hard accord buyers... who in my opinion by the accord be cause they can get it as a coupe... I think it would be good... my thing about the G35 is that I'm affraid of its RWD capabilities... because I live in ohio... and we do see a bit of snow... I just don't know that much about if it would be different driving verses a front wheel drive car... thanx though
  • ultimaultima Posts: 96
    I'd suggest looking at (in no particular order):

- Nissan 350Z
    - Infiniti G35 Coupe
    - Honda Accord Coupe
    - Acura TSX (When it comes out)
    - Mazda 6
    - Mazda RX-8 (When it comes out)
  • pmaricpmaric Posts: 4
    Is '04 Altima going to get Stability Control?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I don't know, but nothing in the class right now but the Camry and Passat have it. You would think they would have added it to the Altima, since it was redesigned for 02. Nissan might add it for 04 as an option, but I am sure it would require you to purchase the 3.5SE autoamtic with ABS, leather, sunroof, HID lights, and spoiler to get it...
  • sykusyku Posts: 7
    I own a 97 Altima GXE with 72000 miles. Recently the engine light came on. Took it to a local mechanic and he told me that two of the Oxygen sensors need to be replaced. I called a local dealer also. They said, the prices are different for each senscor (there are 3 of them) averaging about 260 per sesnsor. What is a reasonable price to fix this? Incidentally, the engine light had come on a few months ago also and one of my friends told me then that if the cap of the gasoline tank was not tight, it could cause the light to come on. Sure enough, it was not tight and I filled the tank full and tghtly closed the cap and the light went away after driving for a few miles. This time also, the light came on after I filled the tank. But the cap seemed to be closed tight. I closed the cap tight again but the light still remains. Help..
    The only way to truly find out the problem with the car is to take it in and let them hook up the diagnostic machine to it.

I have seen several posts on here about O2 sensors going in Altimas and other Nissans though...
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    My parents had the O2 sensor fail in their '95 Maxima. Could be a common point of failure for older Nissans.
  • johnnyrfjohnnyrf Posts: 65
    I apologize if this has been discussed, but I am considering leasing an Altima but I am concerned about the handling of the vehicle in the snow. If need be, I will buy 2 snow tires for the fronts if it is a tire issue. Still cheaper than paying for AWD!
    Any comments on how the car handles in snow are appreciated.
    Thank You in advance.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    We've had a pretty rough winter here in Boston, but my Altima has handled it well. You have to be very easy on the accelerator to avoid spinning the tires, but otherwise I can't complain. I'm using the standard all-season tires, by the way.
    If you get snow tires, don't go the cheap route and get only 2. You should get a complete set. Also, if you're getting the 3.5SE Altima, I would definitely recommend the traction control (as did Edmunds).

The only crappy thing is that Nissan not only makes you buy the 3.5 engine to get traction control, but also ABS and automatic. I hate Nissan's option combinations...
  • Hello....Does anyone know if Nissan plans to make available a shiftable automatic as an option for the Altima in the future??
    You mean a sport automatic than you can shift manually? I am surprised it doesn't have one now, since it's marketed as a 'sporty' family car. The shift gate is supposed to be designed so you can do this, but there's no separate mode for it or anything ala VW's Tiptronic.
  • johnnyrfjohnnyrf Posts: 65
    Thanks for the advice guys. I am leaning towards the 2.5 S. Seems like a great value to me with enough power. I mentioned 2 tires only because I am going to lease and don't want to make too big an investement in a rented car but you are probably right. I live in a real hilly New England town and this winter has been brutal. thus the concern about snow handling. Don't like the Subaru Leacy as much as the Altima, but snow handling is an issue.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Especially considering that Nissan put a damn 4spd automatic tranny in the new Maxima 3.5SL. How stupid can Nissan be?
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Posts: 193
    The new Motor Trend did a comparison test of the basic 4 cyl. Altima, Accord and Camry.

I think they were spot on in their ascessment of the Altima. They found it to be a top notch performer and handler with great looks. Their criticism of the car was excessive road noise and cheaper interior materials (they actually liked the styling of the interior). I own a 03 2.5S with 5400 miles on the clock and I am very
    happy with it. Absolutely no problems with the car and thanks to the beautiful gray after market leather (Super Black exterior) the interior quality issue is minimal for me. Still would like to see less road noise and I might consider an undercoating to improve the situation.

All in all the car is in my opinion far more attractive than Camry or Accord. In the 19-20K price range it's a great buy. Don't think it's worth the upper 20's loaded though. Recently rented a Dodge Intrepid and I found the car totally inferior to the Altima in every way. Sluggish performance, poor handling, and ride quality and noise levels weren't great either. The longer I own the Altima, the happier I am.
    anyone know if the 03 altima can get a Navigation system in from dealer or is it even possible to add an aftermarket DVD navigation system... anyone do this...thanx
    I saw some navigation systems available at Best Buy the last time I was there. Nothing like the in dash ones though.

Nissan might think about adding Navi as an option, since the Accord now has it...
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,775
    I just picked up my 03 2.5S with Convenience Package. The most common criticism of the car that I've seen is that it has a cheapo interior, but I can't see it. My car is a beautiful Pewter Metallic with Charcoal Cloth interior. The seat fabric is nice and soft and the seats are supportive but not too firm. The black on the dash could have a little more luster, but it has nice faux graphite accents and sporty guages. On top of all that, the nterior is huge.

Did they upgrade the interiors from 02 to 03, or am I just easily impressed?

Also, I'm interested in getting a CD changer installed. Has anyone done this? Where did the changer go and where did the controls get mounted?
    There was some of a change from the 02 to the 03 interior, from what I have heard. The 03s look a little different inside, as I was in both an 02 and 03 SE, and the 03 was alot more appealing.
    yes nissan touched up the interior for the 03 model.. and plan on revamping.. well not that far but... talking with others at the dearlerships they plan to jazz up the interior now that the new Maxima is out.,.
  • What is a good lease for an 03 Altima SE? No money down and no leather option. What is the residual value? Looking for a 36 mo lease. 5 speed w/sunroof. Been told it might be better to get a leftover Max SE for same price. Is this true? Does the rebate factor in?
    You definitely might be able to get a Maxima SE for the same price, if you can find one that is. 03 Max production stopped already, so what's on the lot is all there is. There are some good deals out there though.

I personally think the interior of the Max is better than the Alty, but it's at a different (somewhat) price bracket as well. If you favor driving dynamics more, however, the Alty is the one to choose. It's much more sophisticatedly engineered than the Max is.

You might try finding a lease calculator on Nissandriven.com to help you, or else on CarsDirect.com.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You don't need to leave this site for help with your questions. Asking in this discussion is a great start.

You should also check out Lease Tips on our host site edmunds.com for lots of resources. And we have an entire board dedicated to Finance, Warranty & Insurance issues where you can find all kinds of leasing information.

One very popular discussion is Lease Questions - Ask Here - that's a good place to ask about how the rebate fits into the lease terms.

Good luck -- let us know how it goes for you.
  • robtnrobtn Posts: 7
    I want to buy the Altima 3.5 SE. My problem is that I am 6'4 and do not fit comfortably in the car if it has a sunroof. Therefore, I cannot get any of the option packages that include leather or the Bose radio. I will get after market leather (which is better anyway), but I am VERY dissapointed that I can't get the Bose radio. I don't want to do anything drastic with after market stereos, but has anybody changed the Nissan factory radio? THANKS.
    I feel your pain. I couldn't fit comfortably in an Altima with a sunroof. I refuse to compromise and not get a sunroof, so no Altima for me. I also hate leather without seat heaters (which cannot be done aftermarket), so another minus...
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    I don't see why you couldn't just get a 3.5 SE with no option packages (Don't know how hard those are to find though), since you would get aftermarket leather anyway, then ask the dealer you would order the car from to order a bose system and have them put it in for you for a small cost before you take delivery. I am not certain this is possible, but it sounds like a reasonable request.
  • robtnrobtn Posts: 7
    Vocus, did you find a car with a sunroof that you fit comfortably with?

Imp, I can find a 3.5 with no options and then add the leather. I am worried about changing the stereo. The base says it comes with 6 speakers and the upgraded Bose says it comes with 8 speakers (and I think they are Bose speakers). I fear, therefore, that to equal the sound of the upgraded Bose, I would have to not only change the head unit, but the speakers as well. Does anyone have any advice? THANKS.
This discussion has been closed.