Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    2002-2003 are gonna be some pretty busy years for nissan

infiniti q45, infiniti g35, infiniti i35, nissan Z, nissan maxima, nissan altima, nissan sentra SE-R, nissan xterra, nissan full size truck some infiniti SUV, nissan fullsize SUV and the list probably goes on...
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    Nissan discounts deeply while Honda does not. My Maxima SE had an MSRP of $27K and I got it for $23K. Try that at your Honda dealer.
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    if the loaded Altima DID have a sticker price of 25K+, who says Nissan dealers won't discount to about 23K like the Honda dealers? If 17-23K price range holds true for a LOADED Altima, then a SE V6 might be out the door for about 22K
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    If the car is great and is priced at $23K with all the options, dealers won't have any reason to discount it, since there won't be anything better available for less.
    At $26K+, people will perceive they can do better for the same, less or a little more money elsewhere.
    Maybe people will pay $26K or more for a Maxima, but the Altima name does not match a $26K price tag.
    The Altima lacks valet appeal.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
    speedracer, your comment is "Nissan discounts deeply while Honda does not". If you check under the "new" section of this website you'll clearly see that Accord's are going for close to invoice price, which is a deep discount. This jives with what I've heard from people making purchases, also.
    People might be getting Accords "near invoice", but you can buy a Nissan car at or below invoice. Again, Nissan discounts much deeper than Honda. Mind you I got my 2k Maxima when it first came out (Summer of 1999)!..and I got it for $300 above invoice, nowadays discounts are even better. My Honda dealer was not willing to bargain that low even on a previous model year Accord.

s852,

At first there probably will not be any discounts, like what happened with the Xterra when it first came out. I am sure after there is enough product at the dealers you will be able to pick up an Altima for near or below invoice if you know how to bargain.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    from my experience also, Honda's aren't as discounted either, or if they do give you a deal, its because you've spent 10 hrs in the dealer's office.

Once they wanted to sell my brohter-in-law a Civic HB BASE for $15,500... yeah, that's real discounted...
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    honda doesn't discount as much because they don't have to.

nissan discounts because they have to.

another typical case where the market determines price
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    Pretty sweet pics. I really like that turquoise color. What's with the crappy looking digital readout on the speedometer though?
    It varies on the model, the time and the location.
    You can already get near invoice prices on the all-new for 2001 Honda Civic in some locations. That is a little unusual for the first year of an all-new Honda design.
    The new Civic is nice, but it did not really impress many.
    I think the new Altima will be more impressive, but many people shop Nissans for price when they decide a Honda or Toyota is too expensive for them.
    Either the MSRP needs to be lower than a Honda or Toyota and they won't need to discount them much, or else they will need to discount them heavily so the real street price will be lower than a Honda or Toyota if the MSRP is high.
    I guess I am an exception. I shopped the Camry V6 (Solara) and Accord V6 (coupe) and chose the Maxima SE which is more expensive than either Camry or Accord. So it is not only about price it's what you are getting for the price. If there is "value added" in the Altima vs. CamCords then Nissan will sell them even if they are slightly more expensive. Remember, Nissan is not planning to dethrone Camry and Accord, their goal is to sell 190,000 new Altimas and I think it is a modest and attainable figure.
    does shopping at the end of the month help in getting a price u want?
    Thx for bringing those pix to our attention. All 3 colors looked good to my eyes.
    Well, let's see, if you wait until '04 to buy a car, you have the choice of 1) a slew of new Nissan's and Infiniti's 2) new Honda Accord, rumored to be at least 240 HP and 5 speed auto 3) new Toyota Camry including a "sport" edition 4) new Grand Prix and 5) for about 4 extra clams, the new Acura TL (in '04). I think I just might wait that long, since by then the Altima should have offer a 5 speed auto, and perhaps a bump in vitamin H (as in horsepower) from 240 up to the 260+ range. In the meantime, I can obsess about this and prove that I am indeed a car nut.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    For 2003 Mazda is said to be redesigning the 626, and from the sketches at Motortrend, it looks to be a winner also.
    you hit it on the head with the Civic...

they are mass produced like rabbit bunnies and thus can sell it for close to invoice because with that car, volume is the key. You see much more LX's on the road than EX's because for the price someone will pay for the base EX, you can get more features in an Altima or other cars.
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    you guys are right about Honda, the new Civic is not impressive...just like the '97 Camry was unimpressive. That's because in both cases, cutting production costs was the major goal. Nissan did the same thing on the Maxima and the Altima in 1995 and 1997.

Anyway, it looks like Nissan is not going to make the same mistake with the 2002 Altima.
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    Has the Civic ever been impressive?
    The Civics from several years ago were impressive for what they were. They clearly outclassed the other economy cars they were competing with.
    Now they are more average due to cost cutting and "decontenting."
    Nissan decontented the Altima starting in 1997 where they eliminated some options (like auto climate control on the GLE), then they totally messed up the 1998 to 2001's with cheap materials and frumpy new styling.
    then they totally messed up the 1998 to 2001's with cheap materials and frumpy new styling

says you... The only thing I don't like is the tail section, but its grown on me. but each person is different and with different opinions...
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Cheapened the 1998-2001 Nissan Altima compared to the 1993-1997. I have two aunts, one drives a 1995 and the other drives a 2001, both are GXE models. My aunt with the 1995 has a better overall interior design than the 2001 my other aunt drives, the seat fabrics of the 1 gen were better then those of the 2 generation,the wood trim used in the 1 gen was alot classier than that of the second gen to me. I agree that Nissan really started cheapening the Altima for the 1997.5 model, when the deleted the Automatic Climate control from the GLE models. I don't know about styling, that's subjective, but just about every Magazine thinks the 2 gen was overall cheapen and less desirable then the 1 gen, and I have to agree, but that is just my opinion.

Regards
    Max
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    another dealer sent me this:

" We do not have specific prices on the new 2002 Altima nor Maxima. We are speculating however, that the Altima will be between $19,000 to the $25,000 range. Maxima's are probably going to remain in the same price range as this year ($23,600 to $32,000). We do not know what the supply number will be but we are very sure that they WILL be hard to get. It will not be a
    vehicle that we will have plenty in stock. They will be leaving our lot as soon as they get here.
    There is word that they will be out this Septemeber. As I mentioned before, we do have many individuals requesting a new Altima and have a waiting list for them. Fortunately for you, this list is still very small. I encourage you to either pass by or give me a call so that way I can explain to you our procedures for purchasing the new Altima"
    I guess everyone had better run out and buy one on the first day before they are all gone forever.
    I'm kind of surprised you guys are so well informed on the Civic. When I see a Civic, it looks so conservative and underpowered that my mind refuses to think about it. I would buy a used camcord before I would buy a new Civic. Is there some attraction to the entry level cars, such as the Civic, that I'm missing out on?
  • kookielkookiel Posts: 1
    Has your dealer read the automotive sales stats for this year? Leaving his lots "soon" does soon means six months? Sure the Altima is a nice car (I drive a Gen 1), yet dealers in Huston were selling '93 models at or below invoice by early 93. A local dealer is ready to strike a deal for the '02 at $ 300 over invoice. With the sales slow this year Nissan will have to discount as Toyota, Honda and Ford will discount cars to meet their sales numbers
    subliminal messages in Civic Ads... also, they give all good reviewers a free Civic to their daughters and sons... :D
    Since the car seems very good so far and has better specs on paper than what is currently available, if the price is good, it should sell well.
    I doubt that people will need to sign up on waiting lists or camp out at the dealer to get one though.
    Dealers will simply resist discounting for as long as the market will bear it.
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    there's going to be plenty of Altimas period! At this price range, there is just too much competition (i.e. the new Camry, and well discounted Accord, not to mention Nissan's own '01 Maximas that will also have to be heavily discounted). Plus, if there's not enough in the first few months, you could always afford to wait until the dust settles.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I sincerely hope Nissan doesn't try to decontent the 02 Altima like they did with the 97.5-01. I have a 97.5 that I recently bought and really notice the little things they deleted to save a few bucks. They took away the chrome interior door handles and door lock buttons, the passenger side power door lock switch, the digital clock in the dash above the HVAC controls, and the corner lamps that turned on with the turn signals if the headlights were on (and they call this a Limited model!). The deletion of the corner lamp irked me the most as that was one of the features I liked about my 91 Stanza and thought my Altima would have it too as I have seen ones that had it. I was quite disappointed to find out that in the place of the corner lamp relay is an empty spot :( Mazda made the same mistake with the 98-99 626 and than realized that they cheapened the car too much and readded the features they deleted to the 00 model. Let's hope Nissan has learned their lesson from the poorer response to the 97.5-01 Altima and makes things right with the 02.
    i dont think nissan is gonna decontent teh altima. they know what they have to do to reclaim their spot among Japans major companies (even if theyre 2nd or 3rd largest manufacturer in Japan, in America they arent). anyway, theyre bringing back the auto climate control, putting in 17 inch wheels (optional), putting in chrome door interior door handles, etc. etc. shouldnt have too much to worry about ; )