Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• ultimaultima Posts: 96
    Since, I believe, the Altima, Accord, and Camry are all reliable cars, I would say:

If sportinesss the prevailing factor, the Altima is a good choice.

If interior refinements, resale, and mileage are the prevailing factors, the Accord is a good choice.

I like the Camry, but refinements in the Accord are easily equal to the Camry, but with a more powerful engine. Though PERSONALLY, I believe the Camry "sedan" looks better than the Accord "sedan" -- but the Accord "coupe" looks better than the Camry "sedan".

I prefer the Altima's "looks" over the Camry and Accord, but that's just my personal opinion. Again, the Accord "coupe" (with its Mercedes-like rear-end) is a nice car -- but you will give up some room with a coupe.

Have you considered a 2003 Maxima (which can be had for about the same or less than an Altima), the Acura TSX, or a used Acura TL, used Infiniti G35, or used Lexus GS300???
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    From the latest new I have heard at Freshalloy.com the 2004 Altima will not even get the facelift and that actually the 2004 will be a fairy short model year. Around April or March of 2004 the 2005 will debut and it will have a new interior, new grille, and other changes. I am not sure, but I was hoping it would be out by this fall. Oh well.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    I would choose the Altima over the Camry. I think both will be equally reliable, and I prefer the Altima's sportiness.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Thanks, but I ended up getting a PT Cruiser. I work for DCX, and the deal they gave me was too good to pass up. Thanks again and good luck. :)
    According to Nissannews.com the 2004 Altima will remain the same for the most part. A new color will be added called Smoke.

Emissions are supposedly improved on the I4 models.

No other changes until March/April when the 05 is released.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    So, then the '05 might be worth waiting for if they don't make the grill ugly and they really do make significant interior quality upgrades. If the interior was made as nice as a Passat or even an Accord, then it will be nice.
    I think Nissan might still be reluctant to upgrade the Altima's interior because the new Maxima is so ugly. Even an Infiniti G35's interior is not that great for a $30K car.
    An Altima with a nice interior may cannibalize too many sales from the Maxima.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Posts: 193
    I really don't see the interior on the 03' as all that bad. Of course, I had the good sense to upgrade my 2.5S with an aftermarket leather interior. Sure it's got more plastic on the doors that I'd like, but I have absolutely no problem with the dash styling or quality and my light gray leather interior is great looking with the faux titanium trim.

Every day I get into the car with same smile on my face. Believe it or not I can't think of anything I'd rather drive (well maybe a Jag XK).

The 2.5 four's performance is every bit as good and as quiet as my last car which was a V6 Galant. The looks are awesome. Nissan family styling. So much so that the other day a guy driving a new Q45 pulled up next to me and asked me how I liked driving my new Q saying he liked his a lot. Amazing, a Q45 owner thought my Altima was a Q45. So much for the car not looking upscale.

One last thing. I've heard many here say how hard black cars are to maintain and vowing never to own another. Well all I can say is I only wash the thing once every couple of weeks and it shines all the time even after bad rain storms, etc. The car has been a breeze to keep looking good. Either the dealer applied some special coating and didn't tell me or black simply is no problem to maintian. I'm happy regardless.

Anyone who is waiting for an 05' might be well served to buy an 03' (especially with the rebates going on now) and just add aftermarket leather.
  • frank_cfrank_c Posts: 19
    My 2000 Altima just came up for its 30,000 mile service. The dealer quote was $ 530 which seems excessive to say the least. Then again, this quote covers greasing the door locks... A second dealer quoted $ 440, but the service department has a very dubious record.

My questions are:
    (a) Are some of the services such as replacing the transmission and brake fluids or engine coolant really necessary at 30K? Nissan does not require these services according to its maintenance booklet.
    (b) The car has been serviced according to Nissan specs and I would like to maintain a perfect service history. Are dealers required to perform a 30K service as described in the maintenance booklet and stamp the booklet?

Thanks,
    Frank
    Why don't you read the manual and see exactly what is required at 30k miles to maintain warranty coverage?
    You do not have to get the work done at a Nissa dealer. You can go someplace cheaper as long as they do the work and they document it on the work order.
  • paula0612paula0612 Posts: 12
    i am trying to decide on the color of the Altima that i want. i have it down to two choices that i am going back and forth with. either the mystic emerald or the sunoma sunset. it would be a really big help if i can get your input on the color that i should go with for what ever reason. also, if you have one of these colors, why you like it. the only drawback for me is that if i want the sonoma sunset, i will have to order it by august 1st or waite till the 2004's come out. i really don't mind waiting. thank you Paula
  • ahossaahossa Posts: 152
    The mystic Emerald is a very elegant looking car. The Sonoma will be very flashy and attactive. Both are very appealing. If you are young I will say The Sonoma. If you are in your 40s I will go with the Light green.
    was anyone able to find a cargo mat for te trunk?
    Isn't it funny...those are my two exact FAVORITE colors!

I tend to like Mystic Emerald slightly more. Mystic Emerald looks very elegant and classy...Sonoma looks classy as well...but it's something about Mystic Emerald that I really like.

Anyway, get the color that looks the best to you. I like them both...but I like Mystic Emerald just a little more.
  • It appears that they only change to the 2004 model Altima is a new colour. Smoke Grey.
    Yes, the bigger changes (new grill, taillights and interior) are not until the 2005 model.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    ... for getting away with selling (very well, I might add!) a car with a substandard interior for 3 whole model years!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I think the Sonoma Sunset color is AWESOME. I'm a fan of darker colors, and I wish Nissan had a deep navy available on its cars instead of that crayon looking blue they have available on the PF, the Sentra, and the Altima. Anyway, if there was a color like Sonoma Sunset available on the Sentra when I bought it, I would have chosen that. (The red offered, "Inferno", I believe, just doesnt have it").

Re: interior--- a lot of people do not have an issue with the Altima's interior, and many like the design, if not the matierials. Its a very good car at a fair price. It was marketed well. It is stylish and caters to those who need room but also want sportiness (rules out the smaller Mazda 6). Thats why it sells.

~alpha
    Hopefully the car will receive the change soon. But the problem is that now Nissan and Toyota will update there cars at the same time. 2005 will be an interesting year. Isn't the new Passat out by then as well.
    is worse than competing cars, but the overall car is a huge improvement on the super-crappy 2nd generation Altima.
  • 2004 Info from Autospies.com:

Enhancements to the 2004 Altima:
    ·4-cylinder models will meet the latest U.S. federal governments emissions standards (FED Tier2 Bin5) and those units sold in California (and other states with California-certified vehicles) will meet PZEV standards (late availability)
    ·New exterior color – Smoke
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    We have this car and really like it alot. It handles nicely and is quite comfortable, especially with the power drivers seat. Ours is Titanium Frost and it always looks good, clean or dirty.

The wife chose the car for her daily driver and after 2 years, she still thinks it's great, and you know what they say about a happy wife...!

The Sandman :-))
    But the 2nd generation had it all over the 3rd generation interior materials wise.
    You think the 2nd generation was nicer than the 3rd inside? I have to disagree. The 2nd generation's interior reminded me too much of the Sentra's when I drove one back in 2000. At least the 3rd gen's has style, if not the best materials inside.
    Was the best for its time. It went down hill with the restyling and decontenting.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Yea, theres nothing like those Mike Tyson punch out passenger side airbags....

There is no doubt in my mind that the current Altima is far and away the best generation overall, as it should, IMO, be (newer, in theory, should always be better).

~alpha
    I said "for its time." Of course the current ones are better and more modern now. The 2nd generations were the bad versions especially in styling.
    ... debuted when Nissan tried cost cutting. Remember, the same year the bland Mazda 626 debuted as well. The economy was bad back then, so I blame both cars on that factor.
  • paula0612paula0612 Posts: 12
    i was just wondering if i should have my dealer locate a 2003 Nissan Altima SL in the color that i want or should i waite a bit longer and order a 2004. (though there are no major changes between the two years). thanks Paula
    You will be puchasing a 1 year old car if you buy now.Also you will be loosing out on the 1 year warranty. Warranty goes like this: 3years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.yours will end 2006. If u buy 04 it will end 07. Which color R U leaning towards?
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,522
    "Warranty goes like this: 3years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.yours will end 2006. If u buy 04 it will end 07."

Huh?
    Thought it was always from date of purchase?
    So - would not matter - if they happened to have an 04 and an 03 on the lot - either one you bought, you'd have exactly the same length of coverage. Am I missing something here - specific to Nissan - or the Altima????
    - Ray
    Confused . . .