Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I want the 240hp engine too, but they need to upgrade the interior materials or else drop the price. If I am going to pay almost $30K for a car, I want it to look like I paid that much or more for it on the inside. I guess I am spoiled by my VW Jetta though.

One of my co-workers wasn't so happy after a ride yesterday in my Jetta because it looks exactly like her 2001 Audi A4 inside, which she paid $5000 more for. :)
  • soberssobers Posts: 496
    Why didn't Edmunds include $28,800 Acura 3.2 TL in this test ? Passat & loaded Altima cost close (or more?)

Even loaded V6 Camry would cost more than 3.2 Acura TL. Wouldn;t you rather buy Acura TL for that price & get the lux-buyer treatment at the dealers (& watch Acura NSX while you are there for Service, Seep free Coffee & dounuts!!) :-))
  • wdoranwdoran Posts: 31
    Does Nissan recommend regular or Hi-test for the 2.5 Engine? I have avoided 4 cylinder cars in the past because of rough idle compared to a 6 cylinder, how does the new engine stack up?
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    Nissan recommends regular for the 4-cylinder and premium for the V6.
    Sobers: So you can seep coffee at the Acura dealership, eh? :) Just kidding. I agree though, I would much rather have a TL than some $30K Altima SE with a cheap interior (my opinion only though).

Wdoran: I have read that the 4 cylinder engine is a bit loud and coarse in some publications, but don't know for sure as I have not driven one.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    Keep this in mind...

True that Passats have better interior materials, but they are not as well made as their competitors. Not only is the Passat's reliability questionable, but when you do have to fix the car it will cost you a pretty penny to do so.
  • stebustebu Posts: 204
    "... at least around here. VW is sort of like a poor-man's luxury brand."

I've never seen any such attachment to VW's anywhere. I've owned a couple and I like them, especially the Passat. But, IMHO, the VW brand has never been held in higher esteem then Honda or Toyota or even Nissan. I think, in some ways, it's been more of a struggle for VW since it's still haunted by the econo box stigma of the old Beetle and Rabbit days. And the build quality funk VW went through in the 80's and 90's didn't help matters either. VW has come a LONG way. But, luxury brand... I don't think so. At least not yet.

I do think that the new Altima is a glorious return to Nissans historically sporty image. They lost their way, as well, in the mid-90's. But, the revamped Nissan and Infiniti line is putting them back in the game in a big way.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    To me the bottom line is you shouldn't pay $30k for an Altima, but then again who has? Edmunds' car was heavily loaded, and they're talking MSRP.

That Passat had cloth and a 5 speed, so it would be priced well above even that loaded Altima if it had leather and auto.

I'd order this:

20859 5 speed 3.5SE
    693 ABS and air bag pkg
    259 cold pkg
    60 mats
    737 moonroof

$22,608. Now that makes sense. And yes I used the invoice price because prices are close to that now, not the MSRP.

My wife would probably add leather, but that would still be just $23,880. The interior is fine for that price level.

The Passat's price pushes it up against the new Infiniti G35. $30 grand gets you a leather lined, 260hp, RWD, monster. Watch out, VW. And that interior is fine, you even get the cool clock. ;-)

The TL was notably absent, but they were testing premium family sedans, not near luxury cars. I guess they were one tier below the TL and G35. Though low-end models of those are a good alternative, for sure.

-juice
    You can't get the Cold Pkg. without getting leather seats, so she would have to add leather to get the Cold Pkg. I would also want the sunroof, rear spoiler, Bose radio (probably have to get it with the options I want anyway, but will not if it's not required), and HID lights as well.

I still think the interior is too cheap for the price. It needs to be a little fancier, IMO. Are they going to make any changes next year on it?
    I included the moonroof.

Even with the Bose and HIDs you're talking $25,091. That's about the average transaction price for a new car, so the interior is still acceptable at that price point. The power, features, and interior space are well above average, too.

I doubt they'll change the interior. Blame Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn if you don't like it. But there's always Infiniti to move up to. The G35 looks very promising in the $30k price range.

I just don't see the Altima costing you $30 grand, not today. Not unless you walk in with blind folds and scream "rip me off please!"

-juice
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    That's right Juice, blame your countryman for the cost cutting.
    Sure enough, we share a flag.

But he really turned Nissan around. Ahead of schedule, too.

-juice
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    IMHO Nissan ruined an otherwise perfect car with it's subpar interior.
  • implicitimplicit Posts: 41
    If they fix the interior do you think it would be the perfect car?
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    Yes, with an interior as nice as the exterior it would definitely be the best car in it's class and probably the best car for under $30,000.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    If Nissan just addresses the interior of the Altima, it will be the perfect car! I'd love to get a Altima 2.5SL with every option, with an interior at least on par with the current Accord. If it had an interior like the Passat, I'd be fighting to get one. The new Altima IS the best looking Midsize sedan in this class, along with the Passat. IMO!
  • pathmax00pathmax00 Posts: 22
    I hope people are not defining the Altimas interior by its use of hard plastic on the entire dashboard. It would seam that this is becoming the norm on allot of new cars. I just got back from taking my son to look at cars on a Sunday. We got lucky, as many cars were unlocked on the various dealer lots we went to. The Altima is an excellent choice for 25000 or under. Paying 29000 for a 3.5 se is ridicules as the Maxima is a better car in that price range.
  • keyrowkeyrow Posts: 214
    I agree that 29k is way too much for an Altima. The Max is a better value and has all the sportiness one could want in a FWD. If I may be so bold as to invite ridicule: 29K will also put an I35 in the driveway. Granted, it is nowhere near as sport oriented as the Altima, but the 4 yr warrantee and the outstanding customer service (ie a guaranteed loaner whenever the car is being serviced) make it quite attractive for the price. To keep the sport orientation one would look at the Infiniti G35, however it does come with a price of 30K+.

Excuse my short absence but I'll be out in the back yard digging a foxhole so I can duck out of the way of the soon to be incoming verbal missiles.
    IMHO interior is secondary.

It's still FWD with an open differential. I'd prefer to see an AWD or at least a front LSD option first (like the CL-S). Tighten the steering (it's overboosted), and work on shifter feel (it's too notchy).

Though I'm sure Nissan would be more than glad to sell me a G35, which ought to address all those concerns. Could that be the perfect car?

Nope, it's not free! And the rear styling could be prettier.

-juice