Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• i have an se-r. just got it about 1 1/2 months ago.
    i originally wanted the g-35 but went w/ the s-er had more options for the money. i love the car BUT IT IS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN IN SNOW/SLUSH. This is a car that u would have to buy rims and snow tires for. That to me is the only down fall. Good luck.
  • mrsermrser Posts: 9
    I've had my SE-R (6 speed)for a year now and it's been great so far. This car handles differently from the SE. MUCH tighter and with the standard tires they are VERY sticky. If you live in an area where the roads are bumpy, you probably won't be happy with this car. As mentioned before, if you plan on driving in snow, snow tires are a must.
    As with any FWD car with this amount of power, there is plenty of torque steer.
    The sound from the exhaust is wonderful! It sounds a lot like a Z.

Be sure and take one for a long test drive before purchasing.
  • jdh5jdh5 Posts: 9
    Has anyone recently purchased any used Altimas at an auto auction? I'm curious what prices I might expect to find at an auction on 2002 models with standard options & around 50-75K miles. Can anyone help me out with this question?
  • opprmnopprmn Posts: 1
    Just put 2k miles on mine. Love it so far. Very quick and lots of fun to drive. Plenty of trunk and interior room.

Huge difference in feel from the SE -- I was amazed when I test-drove the SE-R.

Only downside (for me) is the sound system. I'd be happier if the 6-disc changer and sat radio was optional and I'd like an aux input for my iPod. Don't get me wrong -- it sounds great; just wish it was a bit more flexible.
  • I am looking into purchasing a 2006 2.5 with the special edition packages. I also want a leather interior, but the only way to get that is with the SL package. However, the dealer suggested that the cloth could be removed and they could have leather installed for a cost of around $1200. And he said the leather would carry the 3 yr./36,000 mile warranty from Nissan as well. Can this true? All your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve
  • brandy06brandy06 Posts: 7
    I have a 2.5s but it is a special edition I have not seen one of those yet around town. I live in the sparrows point area
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    :D Per Autoweek.com

Looks similar to my own Altima...just new door handles, new tails and supposedly a WHOLE-NEW interior!

I hope so. Can't wait until NYIAS
  • suyashsuyash Posts: 1
    I just bought the exact same car you are talking about. 2.5S with special edition. I personally feel its better not to add any aftermarket stuff. I wanted a sunroof but the package with alloy wheel and sunroof was a $1300 option which I could not afford. The dealer offered to put in a aftermarket sunroof. I was a bit skeptical on that as if it leaked it would be quiet a hassle to get it fixed. Anyway, I personally feel that if you can afford it go with the next trim level.....I believe its the 2.5SL
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    ...Is the fact we may see CVT automatics used on this model for the first time.

Now don't laugh--Nissan has already said that they will offer CVT automatics on a wider scale starting with the 2007 US-market models (note both the 2007 Sentra and 2007 Versa will offer CVT's), and Xtroid CVT (which combines a CVT belt-drive system with a torque converter) has proved it can handle the power of the V-6 engine in its application on the Murano "crossover" SUV. I wouldn't be surprised that the I-4 Altimas use the CVT automatic and the V-6 Altimas use a conventional six-speed automatic.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Per Nissannews.com the 07 Altima and Maxima will have CVT engines...Ghosn states that all 07 Nissan sedans will have CVT engines...except the Quest.
  • statecatstatecat Posts: 10
    We are looking at the '06 Altima's.

My question to current 4cylinder Altima Owners: What kind of fuel mileage are you getting compared to the ratings?

Thank you for your help.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Posts: 541
    Ghosn states that all 07 Nissan sedans will have CVT engines...except the Quest.

WOW! :surprise: It will be very interesting to see if American car buyers will take to the "slipping clutch feel" of CVT automatics on the Nissan automobiles. One thing we should watch is that don't be surprised that within a year the Quest also switches to CVT, probably using a beefed-up version of the Murano's CVT unit.
  • altnotaltnot Posts: 1
    There was a recall on the Nissan Altima, about stalling engines you may want to check the recall, something that deals with the fuel chip.
  • I came to the same conclusion as you. I just purchased a 2.5S with the SL package.

FWIW, I contacted Nissan USA on the aftermarket addition of leather to a cloth interior. They fully endorse it and I was told it does not effect the existing warranty.
  • My nissan altima is only 60,000 miles and the engine is brake down. It costs me about $2,000. When I took the car from the dealer and on the way home, I found my signal light is broken, and went back to the dealer, they said they did not touch the signal light. After I insisted they did something to my car, they checked it out and found the signal light was loosen and disconnected.
    Even worse, I brought my car for maintence service. they charged me $580 for a lot of unnecessay service, I was trying to talk to the manager about the complaint. The guy who is the manager charged my credit card told me that there is no manager available now. After I paid $580, he gave me the key and said the car is outside. I went out and could not find my car, came back asked if somebody can show me where is my car. the manager screaming at me said I have to find it by myself. I was upset about it because my baby is waiting outside crying and they even can not show my there is the car. I tried to get his name. He gave me his bussinese card and he is the general manager. I was shock. After he gave me the card, not only did not show me the car but told me to get out of there and almost hit me. I have never seen anything like this before. I would never buy a Nissan car and go to Nissan service.
    Joe
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    Why ever would you leave an unattended baby outside?
  • I just got a 2006 altima special edition a little over a week ago. So far I love it. I was just wondering what you thought of yours and what kind of gas mileage you get.
  • 33853385 Posts: 1
    HELP...i drained the oil out of my 2003 altima, when i went to pop the hood open, the cable broke! Anyone know of a way i can get it opened?
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    Host
    I do not see the 07 Altima thread after the change of the forums format. Thanks Old Mike
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Here 'tis: 2007 Nissan Altima. You can also get to it by going to the main Altima group link.

Enjoy!
  • Hi,
    Are 93 thru 97 Altima transmissions all the same for engines 2.4L? Im looking to replace my transmission for my 97 Altima with an used transmission. I dont really want to spend the money to rebuild the trainy thats on there now because the car isnt really worth that much. I can get an used trainy for cheap and a good mechanic to put it on for cheap. I just need to know if any year would do (93 - 97). Any reply would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks, :D
    floridaguy
  • I recently looked at a 2007 Altima at a car show and liked the fact that the top of the center console would move forward so that you could rest your right arm on it while driving. Is that exclusive to the 2007 or do previous years' Altimas do the same?
  • Hi,

I had gone ahead and bought an Used Nissan Altima 2003 model with around 59720 miles in it at Royal Moore Nissan in Hillsboro, Oregon for around 11,920 Dollars. I was around 10 Days into Car searching after getting my licnese (I am new to US), and was desperate for a Car due to the rainy weather around here.

Since I bought the Car, I have been going thru this "phase " of doubting my purchase whether I paid too much for the car or whether the dealer gave me a good deal or did he take advantage of my need for a car or whether I could have had it for lot less. The Car looked and drives really good it had very very minor blemish on the Bumper other than that the car felt kind of new (inspite of the milage) and I had a satisfactory and a happy feeling when I purchased it. Now with a desperate need of a car being satisfied, I am now thinking in terms of whether I paid more for the car..I have seen the NADA,KBB and Edmunds value of the car, but still wonder whether I got a decent enough deal or ripped off ? I would really appreciate if anybody with insights into this can tell me whether the money I paid was okay or the dealer ripped me off ?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    What difference does it make - you either got a fair deal or you were ripped off. Since none of us were with you during negotiations nor do any of us know the condition of the car or how much you agreed to pay, how could we realistically be expected to advise you over the internet? Regardless, it's your car now, so drive it sensibly, check fluid levels and service it regularly, and enjoy going about your business in warm, dry comfort. (There isn't a person on these shores - recent arrival or native born - who hasn't gotten screwed and tattoo'd on a car deal at one time or another - some are occasionally smart enough to know they got the short end of the stick.) If you believe you got taken (and, by the way, maybe you really didn't ;)), just lick your wounds, and live and learn in time for the next go around. (And next time pick up Consumer Report's annual new car issue - they always resurrect and update their car buying tips article for what car salesperson trickery to watch out for.)
  • kwk1kwk1 Posts: 39
    Does anyone know how to make this function silently, without the horn beeping?

It's an '06 model.

Thanks
  • puripuri Posts: 16
    Hi - i leased a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5SL and the lease is ending in March.
    Apparently the 2 yr servicing date is sometime early March and i might extend this lease for next 6 months.
    THe problem is that the 2 yr servicing is approx $400-500 if i were to get it at the Nissan Dealer.
    The ques - do i need to get it done from the dealer and if so can i tell them to only do the bare essentials so that i am not so much out of pocket (if so would i get dinged when i return the lease)?

If i were to return the car and get a new one - does any one have experience wherein they have negotiatied that all services esp the exp ones be tucked into the monthly (pretty much like the BMW where all service is included)

please let me knowASAP

thanks
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    From my leasing experience, as long as the car is in very good condition, the dealer or leasing company doesn't ask or care if the maintenance is not 100% up to date, even though it is in your lease agreement. This is especially true if you are going to lease another car from the same dealer. All they want is the new car business, and they can service the car themselves for much cheaper than you would pay if they want to put it on their used car lot, or it gets auctioned off by the leasing company.
    You could get it serviced by a third party and keep the receipts, which may be cheaper.
    One thing the leasing companies WILL ding you for is worn tires. If your tires are down, you may be able to get a set of almost new low mileage "used" OEM tires that have been traded in for something better. Call a number of tire dealers. There is a large "silent" market for used tires!
    Extending a lease for 6 months doesn't make sense. You still owe the same contractual residual amount, and the car is worth less after 6 additional months. The 6 monthly payments are just thrown away. Also, you are out of warranty and if anything breaks you will have to pay for the repairs to a car you are giving up anyway. May as well put the money into your new car.
    The dealer will gladly sell you a service contract when you buy your new car. They make a nice profit on it, and you pay more for it than you would if you paid as you went! Not a good idea in my book.
  • puripuri Posts: 16
    that helps me a lot. thanks
    my car is in good condition - but am also in the process of buying a condo and hence was hoping to make the car a bit later on - i hear you on the extension for 6 months/year.

So basically what are a must have service done to a car after 2 yrs (i dont knw a lot abt cars) except oil change etc.

thanks
    Keep that oil changed! No matter what, make sure its gets the "oil, lube and filter".
    As you are buying a condo, it may make sense for you to put off the new car lease, however there are also advantages doing the transactions in the same month. As long as your credit is good:
    1) Close on the condo first.
    2) Do a no money down lease if you are short on cash.
    Credit inquiries hit your credit report and lower your credit rating. Your mortgage company and others will make credit inquiries which will be on your record, so you creditworthiness in 6 months time will be lower than it is now and you may pay a higher interest or money factor as a result. If you lease the new car within a month of closing the condo, the inquiries and condo purchase will not have hit your credit report yet so you will get a better leasing rate.
    Just one word of caution, a major service can wait a bit unless there are critical components that need replacing like timing belts. Not sure if your car has a chain or belt. These components are mileage dependent not time dependent, so it depends on how many miles you have on the car.
    Neglecting these can cost major $$$$$$$$$$$$ if something fails.