Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• pbhattipbhatti Posts: 87
    Is Nissan gonna use the $200 price increase to improve the interior of the car? Or is just going into their pockets.

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/news/products/relautopasse2002049111852.shtml

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Has anyone purchased the nose mask for the Altima? If so, how has it affected the paint? What about the color of the car…I would figure long term use would be worse on a dark colored car…
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    They hopefully will use it to improve the interior of the car. But the Sentra and Sentra SE-R prices are going up to. What would they use that cash for? To give them the amount of hp advertised?? :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    $200 hardly keeps pace with inflation. In fact it doesn't, the price is lower once you factor inflation.

I believe Ford has already had 4 price increases this year. Is that Nissan's first?

-juice
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    I highly doubt Nissan will change the Altima's interior before the next model change in 4-5 years, despite the numerous complaints. So that $200 is just a price bump.
  • I have sold new nissan's for 5 yrs and have a 92 pathfinder with 160k on it and Nissan's DO NOT HAVE A OIL BURNING PROBLEM!!
    Toyota 3.0 AND 2.2 ENGINES DO!!
    Nissan power trains are the best in the industry
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    Thanks for the obviously unbiased advice gsx.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Maybe in the past Nissans havent burned oil, but if you look on the Altima site, there are sporadic posts about the new 3.5 drinking a couple quarts extra per maintenance interval.
    ~Alpha
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    Actually, it's the 2.5 that's had the reports of burning oil. Those of us who sprung for the 3.5 have been safe so far.

Check out post #3193 by smithcon. He says, "My car [a 2.5S]... consumes about a quart of oil every 700 miles. "
    He's a dealer? What a shocker. ;-)

-juice
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I stand corrected. Looking back at the posts, afty is indeed correct... it is the 2.5L and not the V6. It seems to be very rare, though, at least when judging by complaints on these boards.
    ~alpah
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    My 2.5S now has 12,680 miles. The last oil change was at 9,999 miles. It was 0.5 quart low so I topped it off. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 filter and use 5k change intervals.

I've had cars that used less than 1 quart between 5k oil changes, but consider 1.0 quart acceptable. I've heard about the dealer or manufacturer "story" that 1 quart per 1k miles is acceptable. I don't buy it and would be extremely unhappy with that type of oil usage.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with my '02 Alti.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    the glaring flaws people are willing to overlook.

The 2.0l Jetta also burns oil, and the owners and dealers insist its 'normal'

Manufacturers should be forced to recall their oil-burning cars!
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Posts: 272
    Everybody has different definitions of reliability.
  • brad45brad45 Posts: 27
    Some of you may remember me from last fall. I purchased a 2002 2.5S 5sp in September. I posted quite a bit before the new year and then lost interest for a while. Posts on burning oil have peaked my interest again.

I have experienced burning oil and some engine noise. I don't know if they're related. The burning oil was as follows:

at 1400 miles I checked the oil and it was 1/2 quart low. I filled the oil and (stupid me didn't change it) drove the car 1100 more miles. At 2500 miles I checked it again and it was 1qt low. At this point I changed the oil. I then monitored the oil. If I remember correctly at 4000 mi it was okay, but at 5000 it was 1/2 qt low again so I changed it.

The noise is a slight rapping at cold start-up and lasts until the engine warms up. It gets louder and faster with RPM and usually only happens when driving (when the engine is under load). As a somewhat knowledgeable wrenchhead this smacks of valve trouble. Unfortunately this only happens regularly when the temperature is below freezing so it was impossible to get into the garage (darn mild winter) It happened once or twice when the temp was over 40. I can keep it from happening at any temp by letting the engine idle for a minute or two at start-up. I will monitor the situation and get it to the dealer when I can predict it will make the noise.

I don't know if I damaged the engine by not changing the oil at 1000 miles, but the book told me not to, so the warranty should hold. I'll just have to wait and see.

BTW - the 5 speed is very disappointing. I'm not happy with the clutch at 9k miles it has very long motion with only an inch of which is useful and it engages very high. The shifter is notchy too, especially when cold. Other than that I love the car. The interior has never bothered me.
  • bqwaietbqwaiet Posts: 8
    Brad, have you thought of checking out altimas.net? There's a forum there for 2002 Altimas, and 2 topics I am aware of addressing issues that are showing up over time. You do need to register to post, takes a day, but reading is accessible. I haven't been reading enough yet to see if this is a common issue there
  • lgoldinlgoldin Posts: 90
    Does anybody has 2.5L Altima with 5000+ miles on it? What is a gas milage you get?
    Thanks in advance for answers.
  • elmoblatch1elmoblatch1 Posts: 134
    The Altima was interesting, but in the end, the Regal had more standard features ( ABS, V-6, bigger, etc. ) for less money.

I think Nissan needs to make the Altima S available with in a V-6 and not make ABS a $900 option.

Too much of a price gap between base model & SE.
    Friends came over with a rental last weekend, and it was a Regal. The articulating-hinged trunk really surprised me. Also, it was able to carry 6 of us.

Not my type of car, but thought I'd share those tidbits.

-juice
  • I have a 2001 Altima GXE Limited Edition with less than 6,000 miles. I have replaced the rear sway bar bushings twice. Both times the dealer said the bushings were missing. Anyone else having this problem?