Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ..."way cooler" I can take to the bank. Oh well...
  • keyrowkeyrow Posts: 214
    I can get an Infiniti I35. More room, far superior materials, better warranty, better customer service and a guaranteed loaner whenever service is required. This is a no brainer. Why would anyone even look at an Altima at this price?
  • dabtijdabtij Posts: 20
    That is true. But I don't think anyone's going to actually pay 29.5K for an Altima. They definitely move off the MSRP.

Infiniti, on the other hand, really won't, especially for the G35.
  • capitanocapitano Posts: 509
    you can't get an I35 with a real transmission and for some people that makes all the difference in the world.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I need a "REAL" transmission.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    If I had a choice between an Infiniti I35 and an Altima, I would definitely take the I35. Better customer service, loaner cars, the "snob appeal" that comes with the Infiniti cachet.

I wonder if the seats are the same as the Maxima's though? I rented a 2002 Maxima SE for one day, and could not get comfortable after messing with the seat controls for about 20 minutes...
    but again, no manual means I ain't buying it.

Funny how it is more upscale than the Altima but it still gets panned for the interior which isn't up the level of the competition (which, to be fair, generally cost quite a bit more).

Your points about better dealer treatment are valid, but can't overcome the lack of choice in the drivetrain (for me).

Not that I could really afford one without breaking the bank, but next year when Infiniti brings out the manual 6 speed I might be interested.

What's the deal with these automatics anyway? Lexus's IS300 is a nice car, but the biggest gripe against it was the lack of a manual. They fixed that now. Didn't Infiniti learn from that?
  • stebustebu Posts: 204
    The I35 is very nice. I can't say enough good things about the 3.5L engine. But I'm not alone there. Not sure where you are getting your information about the I35 interior. Even Edmund's editors, who generally speaking are not big Infiniti proponents, had this to say, "The roomy, comfortable and feature-laden cabin is another plus". Of course interiors are largly subjective, but having driven an I35 as a loaner for a day, I must agree with Edmunds on this point. Forget the sports package with this car. As an entry level luxo-cruiser, the I35 is quite the bargain.

As for the IS300, the gripe about the lack of a manual hurt it somewhat with it's target audience but I don't think that is a killer. The market it plays in is dominated by cars sold mostly with automatics, including BMW. I, too, am a big fan of rowing my own gears. But, I must say the IS300 with the steering wheel mounted shift buttons was a fairly engaging experience once I started to get the hang of them.
    come from the two comparos I saw in Motor Trend and Road and Track. Both rated the I35 quite highly in performance, second only to the BMW. Similarly the editors commented that the interior was inferior to the competition. Don't know if the interior is significantly weaker or if the editors just latched onto that as evidence of their objectivity -everything must have its plusses and minuses. On the BMW, for example, they harped on the price and the run flat tires.
    The engine sounds good, but looking at the car, it looks very BLAND. The Altima has it beat in the looks department, inside and out. Of course, that's all subjective. I haven't owned an Infiniti before, but I would think that the less you see of the dealer during your ownership, the better it is...
    As I go back and relook at those two issues, the comments on the interior were less pronounced than I thought.

R&T said that the design was generally liked by all the editors, but that there were some concerns about the long-term durability of the materials.

MT didn't say much at all.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    I think you are talking about the G35 and not the I35. The recent Motor Trend and Road & Track articles tested the G35.
    Indeed I am. Disregard all my drivel.

Dang.
  • meegs24meegs24 Posts: 3
    Black paint on the 02 Altima is cheap indeed. I haven't seen any bubbling of the clearcoat (yet) but it doesn't take much to scratch the paint. I use sheepskin mits and a supposedly "scratch-proof" squeegee when I wash my car and it still scratches quite easily. Don't get the black.
    And I wanted a black Altima too. But the main reason would have been because everyone and their mothers have silver. Oh well, I guess I'll have to blend in with the masses...
    I'm one of the masses with the silver. I bought it mostly because it's easier to take care of than other colors. I can go 3-4 weeks without a wash and it still looks good.

I was rethinking my decision the other night when I was driving to a friend's place. I came to a stoplight, looked around, and spotted 2 other silver '02 Altimas at the same light! At that point, I concluded that this color may be a bit too popular.

Have you seen the new blue and red colors? I think they look good. Pewter also looks good to me.
    I liked the 02 Ruby color and the opal blue or whatever it was. The new blue doesn't appeal to me much. The seascape is different, probably not for me though. I do like the mystic emerald and have only seen a few on the road.

My wife likes silver, but I really don't.

BTW, is it me or has something changed in the last few years to make silver a more popular color?
    I haven't seen the new blue. I didn't like last year's definition of "blue". It was more of a teal color I think.

Is the new blue closer to a darker navy blue? It seems a lot of its colors are more pastel, instead of bold and defining.
    I haven't seen the new blue in person, but from pictures it seems darker than last year's opal blue. Still not a dark blue like you were hoping for.

I actually liked last year's ruby and opal blue colors as well. I don't know why Nissan got rid of them.

Let me see if I can include a picture of the blue:

• cfocfocfocfo Posts: 147
    1) The new RED, Sonoma Sunset looks great to me. Anyone have poor paint issues with dark RED ? Or are the paint problems primarily with Black and darker hues as mentioned ?

The thought of buying a new car and having bubbling clearcoat ??!!, well .... let's say a cheesy interior is do-able with the 2003 fixes, but Bad Paint on New Car, Scarey !

I might add that the 9 year old Honda we own is still fun to handwash, (well - twice a year) as the paint still looks & feels brand new !

2) Regarding the 2003s, are we back to looking at near-sticker prices, the way the 2002s were priced when they rolled out ? Or was that just because of the new model change ? I think the 2002s are now priced around $200 over invoice, ($ 1, 800 under Sticker).

Thanks