Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    When the car is sold for below invoice, of course the resale will appear poor compared to the MSRP.
    It doesn't matter if the sticker said $27K if you paid thousands less for it new, then the 19000 for a used one is not that great of "actual" depreciation is it?
    If they price the 2002 low enough that it is actually "worth" what they ask, then they don't have to mark it down futher and it will in turn have better resale value because the dollar difference between the original MSRP and the used value will not be as large.
    I don't understand why you want to get a discount off of an inflated asking price instead of just having a reasonable asking price to start and little if any more discount.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Consider the poor sap who traded in his 2000 Max SE fully loaded that they Nissan dealer was reselling for 19k. That means that guy maybe got 17k out of them. He paid, at least 24k prior to taxes for that fully decked Max. That's a 7k hit (more with tax) on a car with only 15,000 miles in a year. Ouch!

"I don't understand why you want to get a discount off of an inflated asking price instead of just having a reasonable asking price to start and little if any more discount. "

I want next to invoice on any car I buy. The dealership deserves the holdback on the purchase. That's their profit. Beyond that, I'm insulted at the notion I should give something as useless as a dealership another 1-2k. Why would you willingly hand money over to people who exist only as middlemen-leeches?
    Suppose they were to price the 2002 Altima SE so low that the MSRP (maybe $22K) of a loaded Altima is less than invoice of a 2002 Camry with the same equipment (invoice of $24K) and suppose you test drive both and greatly prefer the Altima. The Camry was available discounted to the invoice of $24K and the Altima dealers would not discount below the MSRP of $22K. In that situation you would go buy the Toyota for more money even if you like the Altima more just so you can get it for invoice price?
    It is possible that Nissan could make the difference between the invoice price and MSRP much less than is typical if they want to have a very aggressive MSRP.
    Trading is a profit center for dealers. You cannot expect a good price for a trade-in. If the person had sold the car on his own, he would have got more money and perhaps the $24,000 he spent originally was too much if the value of a 1 year old model is only $17K. He would ahve been better off buying a 1 year old model instead.
    Those things contributed to the high perceived depreciation. Add that to the fact the he sold after only 1 year. The heaviest depreciation is usually in the first year of any car.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    In that situation you would go buy the Toyota for more money even if you like the Altima more just so you can get it for invoice price?

I don't think he's saying that all all.. rather if he had to buy a car X, he's not going to pay MSRP if he can get it Invoice.After all, paying 2K more for the same Camry goes against: I'm insulted at the notion I should give something as useless as a dealership another 1-2k</>.

but if Nissan in your case insists on MSRP, then wait a month. good bet they will discount it on your second trip...
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Does anyone know which car mags are going to have articles on the 2002 Altima next issue?
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    I believe Motor Trend is going to have some kind of info on it. If you go to MotorTrend.com and enlarge the picture of the Sept. issue, you'll see a line that says something like "Nissan's new 240 hp Altima!".
  • lindseylindsey Posts: 41
    FreshAlloy's First Drive report can be found here. Check it out.
  • lindseylindsey Posts: 41
    FreshAlloy's First Drive report can be found here. Check it out.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    My copy of Automobile arrived in the mail today - a good review of the new car, with a ringing endorsement of the 4 cyl in particular. Ride is better with the 4 [no surprise - 16" wheels with higher profile tires], and they actually prefer the handling of the 4, as well [less weight on the nose].

Anyway, in answer to the question, all of the car magazines will have something on the new Altima in their Sept issues.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Did they have Nissan's photos, or did they have their own photos.
    All the photos, specs and reviews are all available for the 2002 Altima. Now the only thing to wait for is pricing and that will not be available until mid September.

One comment in the reviews I was disappointed in is the fact that the SE has a hard and noiser ride due to the 17" low profile tires and stiff suspension.
    If you want a smooth, quiet ride, then you need the S or SL.
    Maybe 175HP will be enough and I can live with a loaded S or SL and without HID lights, automatic climate control and the 235 HP. Looks like about everything else will be available on the SL.
    Too bad there is no V6 SL model for the 2002 model year. Otherwise the 2002 V6 Camry will be available and that even has optional electronic GPS navigation.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    I noticed that the reviewer was comparing the Altima more to the Passat rather than the Camry or Accord. He pointed out that the interior was not as nice as VWs, which is a shame....I actually thought Nissan would go out on a limb with the interior (at least they said they would). Anyway, the car was described as fun to drive with a more engaging ride than the Passat, yet according to the reviwer the steering didnt have enough feel. What I found most interesting is that the reviwer drove a 2002 Altima and 2002 Maxima back to back and like the Altima better. Wow!.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    out the Altima for a trip to 60. Damn!

Their review is pretty positive, though a few comments about interior components leads me to conclude that like its Japanese competitors (and unlike its German benchmark), the car's pretty plasticky. Too bad. Maybe someday the Japanese will make a car that can really feal European from a tactile perception.

BTW, who would expect a car that's the SE (Sports Edition?) from Nissan, with a beefier suspension and seventeens to have a smooth, quiet ride? On a sidenote, Toyota's Camry clone, the ES300, according to the Motor Trend review of the 2002, only makes 210 HP. That's a 30k Camry and it's getting outclassed by everything else! Toyota execs must be on crack - they've had the TL as a competitor for a few years and they refuse to step up to the plate. Guess that's why the TL's selling well.
    Since the magazine reviewers were testing prototypes and not actual production models of the new Altima, it is still possible that the real production cars will have a better grade of interior plastic than the ones reviewed and tested.
    Otherwise, it will be an embarrassment since the Nissan executive went out and opened his mouth about "VW-quality" interior materials at the press intro. Maybe he should have kept quiet and not hyped expectations beyond reality.
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    at last, people are realizing Nissan can't make magic... didn't I say that Altima's interior looked a bit cheap? Just with some common sense it's no surprise that the Altima doesn't have as upscale an interior as a VW -- look at the other aspects of this car... 240hp, sophisticated suspension from the Q, great looks, 17" rims, etc. etc. I doubt that this is a blemish created only for the preproduction models. Nevertheless, this car has the makings of a great car and the plasticky interior might be a slight sacrifice people might have to make (heck, even the TL and CL Acuras are accused of cheap looking interior trims but no one ever complains of that now do they?).
    Actually people do complain about fake wood in the TL and CL. Many use that as their reasoning to buy the aging ES300 instead of a TL which is better in most ways other than quality of interior materials.
    The interior of the new Altima will probably be about what you could reasonable expect for the price, but Nissan stupidly spoke about an upscale interior without facts to back it up if it really turns out to be no better than the pre-production vehicles.
    If they did not make that promise, few would be disappointed.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    s852,

True, these cars may be pre-production models that Nissan has distributed to reviewers. Now think about it for a sec...If you were a high exec at Nissan wouldn't you put out the best product if you knew that the car would be reviwed and disected by these car magazines. I think that if the production models do have better interiors it was pretty dumb of Nissan to let these cars be reviewed and have the buying public read about how cheap the interior was.

har1bush,

It's not so much that the interior looks cheap, it's just that Nissan told us to expect something more than what they delivered. That's ok, again, the interior does not a car make...I still think Nissan has a winner.
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    I may have missed this from reading it, but it seemed implied in Edmunds' First Drive --

Are HID's only available on the V-6 SE, or can you get them for the 4-cylinder SL?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    or any 2.5 models, the HIDS are only available for the 3.5SE
  • calwillcalwill Posts: 1
    Driving to work I saw a burgundy 2002 Altima 3.5 on the 405 freeway close to Nissan headquarters. While I like the overall look of the car, this color is not my favorite, especially did not contrast well with chrome accents on the front grill.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Like so many of the early writeups, the Autoweek article is long on stats and quotes from Nissan, and short on real driving impressions. The Automobile article seems more substantive to me, but what we really need isn't going to come for a couple of months, which are full road tests and better yet, comparison tests. And by the time most of that gets to your hands, you can drive the cars yourselves and draw your own conclusions, which are the only ones that count, anyway.

It's clear the car will handle well enough and ride well enough to be better than even the new Camry - whether it has better interior finish, or can compete with the new Camry for road refinement [quiet and absence of harshness] is something that can only be answered by a good comparison test, which will be months away.

In any case, it's clear to me that Nissan is back in the ballgame with this car - I never considered the current Altima in shopping for our last two Accords, but this new car will certainly change that.
  • rmtraderrmtrader Posts: 30
    Motortrend just tested the new V-6 Altima and got a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds with a corresponding quarter mile time of 14.7. If there were any concerns regarding whether or not Nissan would deliver on its promise of power, well, it only took a few seconds to shut the naysayers up.
    I don't remember anyone saying they thought the Altima would be slow.
    The level of refinement and interior quality remains to be seen.
    Pricing is also uknown and will be controversial if it is priced near similarly equipped Camrys or Accords.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    With the 2002 Maxima GXE at just over 25K including destination, I'd expect the Altima SE V6 auto with all the bells and whistles to top out around there, perhaps even overlapping a bit. I mean c'mon, how can Nissan make any money if this is a lot less costly than that in fully loaded guise? This would mean that the price advantage against the Camry and Accord will be negligible, IMO. Just my speculation though, and I'm not an industry insider. And has any body read the reason why there will be no 3.5 SL? My guess is that would just be WAAAAY to close to the Maxima.
    ~alphaboy.
    ps-can't wait for a test drive.
  • har1bushhar1bush Posts: 207
    for the most part, I agree... an SE 3.5, however, in my opinion, could cost a slightly more than 25K loaded, considering the equipment level. This plays directly into NIssan's hands since only 5% of the Maximas will be in GXE form... So, people favoring the sportier Altima will go with the ALtima, while the few who will be able to find a GXE Maxima will go with a slightly more luxurious ride of the Maxima. Even if the Altima SE is listed as 26K, it will still sell out -- c'mon even the Accord stickers at 25K+ and a Camry with decent amount of equipment will be listed as 26-27K... Nissan will probably have nothing to lose by making a loaded Altima SE for 26K.
  • i can go buy an audi A4 right now with quattro and lots of goodies for 25,500. buy a CL for a couple hundred more. accord EX-L V6 for 23k. I know the sticker may be 25k, but if you pay that much, you're not very good at negotiating. not to mention the fact that the styling is going to take a while to grow on people... and the fact that 26k for a cheap interior just isn't going to sell cars. the crowd that this car appeals to may not care if it has 240 HP vs. 190 hp....it gets to the mall all the same. many shoppers are looking for reliability, low purchase/maintenance costs, enough room and comfort for the fam.

I think the altima may fit in well if "the price is right" and reliability is proven. Nissan doesn't have the name of Toyota and Honda, so they can't sell on name alone. It's going to take time and high-quality cars. That remains to be seen.

As for the first year of the remodel, my 1996 Pathfinder has been ok, but there are lots of little things that i'm sure the altima will suffer from (CD players, paint chipping, trim falling off, heat shields falling off, suspension failing, gear whine...that's about it for now...)

HP isn't everything.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    if I have to pay for that for a new Alty, I'll just get a 1yr old BMW 3-series.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    I think you guys are missing the point. Look at what Nissan is competing against. A Camry XLE V6 starts at $26,680 (without options) and a loaded Accord is $25,500. I'd expect the Altima to be priced somewhere in between.

This is exactly the type of attitude that Nissan is fighting..."Atima's are inferior when compared to the Camcord...so Nissan should give them away". I think new Altima blows the Camcord away...so why should it be priced cheaper? I think this car will, easily, be the best in its class.

I also think the people shopping this class do care about HP, otherwise none of these manufacturers would even offer an optional V6. Nissan will get a lot of mileage out of a 240 HP engine that'll be more powerful than CL's, 330's, A-4's, ES300's etc. Plus, it offers features that are costly options on these premium auto's and not even available on it's "competition" (HID headlamps, 17" wheels, trip computer, etc)...so why should Nissan give this car away???