Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    Unfortunately, in Canada, Nissan has a long history of offering less features as options on their cars. We can usually get all the options (and sometimes more) that are available on the U.S. models but usually have to take them in packages or as standard features. Take for example the 2000 Maxima SE that I bought. The only options available on that car were an auto tranny and traction control. Everything else that was available on the US model (and more) was included as standard features on the Canadian Maxima SE. This includes everything from leather and sunroof to floor mats and body colored mud guards. You could not buy a stripper Maxima SE in Canada. A quick look at the Nissan Canada website shows me that the options available on the new Altima are different between the two countries. For example, in Canada the 2.5SL comes standard with auto tranny, cold weather package, sunroof, ABS and air bag package, wood trim, mud guards and floor mats, all of which are optional in the US. This is probably just a way for Nissan Canada to keep their prices down, after all, the 2.5SL with the above options has an MSRP of US$25,473 in the US while the MSRP in Canada is only CA$28,998 or about US$18,367 with todays exchange rate.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I also live in South Florida and I was wondering which Nissan dealer you were at? We bought our 2001 at Endicott in Pompano and did it all over the net, a very pleasent experience. My first good car buying experience, is that an oxymoron or what! Thanks for your help. Am very curious to see a 2002 up close.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    >>Like others have mentioned, the Accord EXV6 looks to be the better all around car than the Altima (value wise)<<

No doubt, but you can't get a V6 Accord with a manual transmission. Honda should offer a stick shift with their V6.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    Hey another S.Floridian,

I was talking about Maroone Nissan here in Pembroke Pines....pretty large Nissan dealer

Go Dolphins!!!
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    We should commend Nissan for offering manual tranny with the V6 Altima...however, like the Maxima, the manual is below average to average at best.

If Honda did ever offer a manual with the V6, I'm sure it would be the best one in the market. No one makes manuals like Honda. Maybe with the 2003 Accords...

I'm thinking of just buying the 2002 Accord EXV6 but hate the idea of buying a car in it's last model year and the Altima's appeal is starting to drop the more I look at the interior. And although I hated VW's in the past..the quality of the Passat is starting to appeal to me, I'd have to go with the manual I-4 though.
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    My dealer here is now discounting the 3 remaining 2002 Altimas about $1K off of msrp and the 3 remaining 2002 Maximas at least 2K off if not more, they have only sold 1 Altima and 1 Maxima(bought by a salesman) and they won't get any new ones in until they sale those. Strangely they aren't discounting the GLE just the 2 SE's, maybe because it's on display outside the front of the lot, i dunno.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    this time the interiors did not seem cheap like they did last time.

I saw the tan cloth and tan leather. The tan leather didnt have that nasty pattern the black stuff did. the dash plastics look much better in the tan than the gay or black.

sure is a spiffy looking car. No the int. is not grade a but hey at least for the chaper models what do you expect.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I talked to a dealer today that said he could discount "5, 6, 700 off sticker" on a 2002 Altima SE (after I mentioned I was probably going to buy in the next month, but not right now). This comes a mere two weeks after I talked to another dealer in the area who claimed that Nissan wasn't allowing any dealer to sell below MSRP for 6 months! The guy at that dealer even suggested they would be selling at MSRP for up to a year. Guess I won't be buying a new Altima there.

As they say, good things come to those who wait!
  • brad45brad45 Member Posts: 27
    And so far I love the car. I had been looking at accords and maximas. The Accords don't handle nearly as well as the Altima and the Maximas were out of my price range. Also the Altima is noticably larger than the Accord inside and out, which I happen to like. The manual is not as smooth as the Honda, but the 2.5L has much more punch especially below 3000 rmp. Since I am still in the break in period I haven't pushed the car, but I'm very happy with it's performance in daily driving. And I love the styling inside and out. I'll keep you all posted over the next few weeks as I log some more time behind the wheel. I have a long trip coming next weekend, that will be the first real test for comfort.

P.S. I paid about 1K under invoice or $17,995 for a car optioned between an accord LX and EX with more room and more power. I'm quite happy with the pricing.
  • g_carg_car Member Posts: 46
    Test drove a '01 Maxima SE 5 speed, '02 Altima SE 3.5 and '01.5 Passat 4Motion today. As a point of reference my wife drives a 2001 BMW 5er (I basically just get to wash and wax it) and we have a '96 300ZX as a weekend car. I'm looking to replace my daily driver Honda Accord coupe. Took a look at the Altima due to the HP figures. Well to cut to the chase so to speak, I'm picking up the Passat Monday. It was no contest, Altima drives fairly well with great power but the interior is very subpar. Passat interior compares very favorably to the Bimmer, while the Altima interior is not as good as my '96 Accord. Passat has a VERY solid feel when you close the trunk or doors, Altima sounds tinny, Maxima is nice and would have clearly been my 2nd choice. Oh well, HP isn't everything. PS Altima's wood grain must be the worst I've ever seen. Looks like something out of the JC Whitney catalog. Nothing wrong with JC by the way esp. if you're into the fuzzy dice effect :-)
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    According to Edmunds the MSRP of the Altima S 5 speed is 18,539 with the delivery charge. The Kelly site isn't working for me this morning but the markup is about $1,500 which would put the invoice price at about 17,000 I think. So unless you have a lot of options that they threw in free you still paid about 1,000 over invoice, but beat the MSRP by over 500 bucks, which is still great given everybody else (including myself) I've heard of that has purchased an S has paid MSRP. Could you clarify why your price is $1,000 under invoice? Thanks!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    quirkcars.com
    Congrats on the purchase of the Passat (considered it myself before I got my Maxima), I hope you are aware that VWs can be quirky and sometimes become reliability nightmares. I admit that the Passat "looks" better built, but pound for pound the Japanese build them better.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I thing I hate about VWs is their lousy warranty. 2 year bumper to bumper warranty? What a joke.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    2002 Passat has a 4 year / 50k mile basic warranty, and the powertrain has a 5 year / 60k mile warranty.
    Changing their warranty, now if they could just make their cars more reliable. Going back to the Altima, even with cheaper materials I would trust an Altima, which is made in one of the best manufacturing plants to cost less to maintain and last longer than a Passat.
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    I was on a Nissan lot yesterday and saw a manual 2002 GXE with an additional mark-up of $3000 added to its sticker. The total for this GXE with the Synergy package but no moonroof or over $18,000.

And Nissan wonders why it's market share won't grow?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Locally for me Nissan dealers sell the Sentra for about 100-200 over invoice.

They're already selling the Altima near invoice too.
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    Blue guy, I am in Baltimore Maryland. I'm going to all the dealer and ask what is up. They (Natiowide Nissan)still have the same 5 original Altimas on the lot as well. It doesn't look like they have sold any.

I like the SE-R, but if a dealer is going to play these mark-up games, I'll just wait for one to show up at Carmax.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    that's the 1st I've heard that. Consensus seems to be 2002 Altimas are selling for full MSRP (the case here at all 4 dealers). However, above MSRP for the 2002 Maximas seems high. Here they are going for about $1500 under sticker. If Nissan wants to push the "new" Altima they'd better sell under sticker. This for a car that does NOT come std with ABS too...amazing...
  • mike1650mike1650 Member Posts: 8
    This was on a loaded 3.5 SE. I went to this dealer after being told by another that if I bought today they would sell it for MSRP. I am a serious buyer and will buy something. Is there something better out there for $27K? This is most options inc. leather, spoiler, bags, trac, auto, stereo, etc. I swore the next car I bought was going to have NAV and this is not an option on these. It is on Maxima but then the CD is back in the trunk. Let me know. I do not want anything European no matter how enticing.
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    27K for an Altima? I don't care if it has all the options, etc. For $3,500 more, you can buy an Acura TL-S with navigation, and there are no other options. On a 5yr loan at 8% there is only a roughly $75/month difference. between $27K and $30.5K. That is a no-brainer to me.

I really like the looks of the new Altimas, but if Nissan thinks they can charge MSRP+, or even MSRP for it, they are in trouble. They are close to playing in a whole new ballpark, and the Altima forgot to bring its bat.
  • daytong20daytong20 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there no what the residual values are being set at for the Altima 3.5 SE Manual?
  • mike1650mike1650 Member Posts: 8
    I understand your monetary points re: the Altima but comparing it to Acura does not work in my case as I think the TL S or regular is ugly and will not be my choice as another consideration. I like the look and perfect size (in my case) of the Altima and probably will buy it, $1400 off is what I have been waiting to hear. Any others to consider besides Camry or Honda for that money?
  • charliemikecharliemike Member Posts: 87
    I hate to break it to you, but the MSRP for a TL-S with Navi is $33,710.

If you can get a TL-S for $30,500 please let me know because there are 10 people at acura-tl.com who'd probably fly there to buy one next weekend =)
    Carsdirect had the TL's for about 2k off MSRP.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Mike1650, for your 27K, excluding the EUropeans, you might consider an I30 which has about a $1500 rebate going, and if you get it at invoice you shouldn't be too much above that. The Chrysler 300M has a 4K rebate going, which brings it down to about 24K for an '01 which is fully loaded and a beautiful car (they can be had at invoice). Good luck and let us know what you get and if you're happy with it.
    Re: Mike 1650 and aculexgod: It's true that the TL competes in a higher class, so you get an extra year on the warranty, free loaner, and a better interior. But I must admit I agree with Mike that the TL is seriously lacking. It looks no better than a camcord (the addition of the copied Toyota Solara front didn't help much). As for substance, the altima can be had with side airbags that protect your head (TL side bags are older design for body only), the altima interior is more roomy to me (unquestionably more leg room), the altima looks way better and handles much better with its advanced suspension. This is partly due to the advance construction features on altima such as aluminum hood and trunk to save weight, which aids handling. Don't know where the comment on "build quality" came from, as the Altima and Maxima are built very well. To me, I'd rather have the style and fund to drive nature of the Altima instead of the plain jane TL with a nice interior and limited headroom and legroom (admittedly I'm a tall chap).
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Forget comparing the Altima to the TL as this is absurd. You're better off doing comparisons to an Accord. Considering the Altima has a brand new design and the Accord is in its last year, the new Altima comes accross as a big dud. What a cheap cheesy interior the Altima has.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    While I do agree that the look and feel of the parts used for the interior of the TL appear better then those used in the Altima, there are a few resons to chose the Altima over the TL:

The Altima 3.5SE with 5 speed is more fun to drive, from an enthusiasts point of view, then the TL. There is just something about changing gears yourself.

The Altima is much larger inside then the TL. The TL is actually much closer in interior size to the old Altima then it is to the new Altima.

The Altima should be cheaper. Yes dealers are currently trying to sell them at MSRP but anyone who knows Nissan knows that this will not be the case in the future. Look for Altimas to be going for closer to invoice (about $3000 below MSRP for the 3.5SE) before too long.

Some people like the looks of the Altima better then the TL. To me the TL is bland.
    but if I was in the market and had in the twenties to spend (without including Europeans) I would RUN and get a Maxima SE 6 speed. More room inside than a TL, way faster probably even than a TL-S. Probably right now is the perfect time to get a Maxima
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    Mike,
    I understand your thoughts on the TL not being the most beautiful horse in the stable. I personally am driving a '98 V6 Camry, which certainly is not the prom queen, but she takes me home every night. I also cross shopped the Accord and the Maxima, but when I bought it, the Maxima and Accord were not being discounted even remotely close to what was offered on the Camry. Have you thought about the Audi A4 or VW Passat? My concerns there would be reliability. Best of luck with your purchase.

Charlie,
    I know full well what the MSRP of the TL is. However, you don't pay MSRP with a TL, while apparently, Nissan thinks you should with the new Altima. Easy to get $2000+ off MSRP on the TL by printing out a Carsdirect.com quote ($2000 off MSRP) and bringing that to your local dealer to beat. Simple. So that makes the buying Price $31K, right?

I don't think the TL is a stunner, but if Altimas are going for 27K, This is a no-brainer. Even BMW 325's start at 27K. They may need a couple K in options, but I think Nissan is pricing themselves into another class here.

I guess I am saying that Nissan wants WAY too much $$$ for what they are offering here.
    Just give it a couple of months and Altimas will be selling for $300 over invoice. Dealers in my area are already starting to discount them.

The problem with most cars in this class is that they don't offer manual transmissions. If I want a Japanese mid-sized sedan with a V6 and manual transmission, I pretty much have to choose the Altima. Not even the TL-S offers a manual, which I find ridiculous for a so-called sport sedan. Pretty much the ONLY other choice in this category is the Passat, and I'm wary of its reliability. I've skipped over the 626, but it's underpowered anyway and Ford's influence makes me doubt its reliability as well.
  • subwrx02subwrx02 Member Posts: 4
    I can see the point of buying the new Altima with a 5 speed.

3.5L, 240hp, 5 speed!!!

There aren't many cars that are gonna give you a thrill like that. Think of it this way. One could purchase a Mustang GT @ 24k just for the engine and 5 speed combo and it's reasonable if they like to drive. The altima is much more versitile, luxurious and better built with almost the power. FWD will kill some of the fun but it will work in the snow. It's not that bad of a deal if you really like POWER (I DO!) and want a four door car with room inside.

I would however check out the 2002 maxima 6speed. That car will do everything better than the Altima for the same cash. I know it can be had in SE form for 27k or less.

I personally gave up luxury for performance when I bought my WRX. All wheel drive, racecar like handling and 0 - 60 in 5.5 seconds. I paid $24,500 for an economy interior, BUT IT'S FUN!

Anyone see any reviews on 2002 Altima or Maxima that include 0 - 60 times?
    Can you send me the link to that wrx/bmw/audi article? I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
    Another thing to consider is that reviewers are raving about the new Altima's suspension and how it's better than the Maxima. They are also saying that the Maxima is "old" technology while the Altima is "new" and "up to date".

Let me just say that people are just plain stupid in this area. They harp on the Maximas beam suspension even though it has a better ride/handling combo than any car in it's class. I'm willing to bet that the Maxima will ride/handle better than the Altima regardless of the suspension design. I would also bet that it feels better in every way, but that's just a guess.

My point is this. Don't listen to reviewers!!! Just drive the cars back to back and see for yourself. You may be looking for something "new" and "better". But you may just end up with something "new".

I owned a 2000 Maxima SE and it's ride/handling combo blows away Camry accord and taurus. The latter having "sophisticated" suspensions. Yes, ultimately an independant rear suspension is better than a beam axle. But there's more to it than that. Nissan has made the beam axle work great in the maxima so just drive them back to back and see for yourself.

BTW aculex, thanks for the tip. I will buy a C&D when I get my lunch.
    Actually, that comparision is available online:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/ 2001/october/200110_comparisontest_unfairfight.xml

You'll have to put the link back together because I can't post a word over 115 characters. Just remove the space between "comparsiontests/" and "2001/".

That's pretty cool. I was going to buy the Audi S4, then the Stock marker fell ! So I settled for the WRX. It's fun.
  • bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    Here is my opinion after driving both, automatic versions on the same road. The Altima seems lighter, and the steering is light also. Initially Alt seems to accelerate faster.

Maxima do feel more settled. Response seemed slower when I stepped on it but soon it starts to kick. I didn't do the corners too hard but the both feel good.
    I test drove an Altima S and I own a 2000 Maxima SE. I can say that the Altima handles really well, and so does the Maxima. Although I suspect that if you drive both cars at their limit, the Altima will edge out the Maxima. Don't get me wrong, the Maxima is an awesome handling car, better than most if not all of the cars in its class, but the Altima does have the better suspension. The problem with the Maxima's beam suspension comes when you are driving through a less than perfect road. Ride the Altima and Maxima back through a pothole filled road, and the Altima's suspension absorbs the bumps superbly while in a Maxima you feel every bump.

my two cents

Speed
    If you read the article, one of the three testers put the S4 first and the WRX dead last. That's what skewed the results. For value minded, the WRX is the clear winner. If you want performance AND Luxury in an AWD performance car, then the S4 trumps the WRX easily.
    Aculex, you should check out the Altimas again now. Many people are reporting that newer ones are a lot better in terms of build quality than the first ones off the assembly line. In fact, many of the people who were initally bashing the Altima's interior quality are grudgingly admitting that it's OK after taking a second look. Still not VW-quality, but not bad either.
  • CanyoncrestCanyoncrest Member Posts: 18
    I started following Alty for a while and read everything I could find. Finally, I went to the local dealer last night after dinner. There is only an 3.5SE in the show room and they ask 27,000 plus dist., finish, etc and a market value of 2,000. The total is little less than 30k.

I really love the style, and I think it looks way better than the new Camry. The tail is really impressive, and I think Nissan finally solved their everlastting problem with tail design. It is a nice looking car, period.

However, the interior is very disappointing. I feel that the dash board is like a huge box in front of me. It is really ugly. Also the cloth feels really cheap.

Car design seems to be a tricky business. After all the money, engineers with PhD, market research, etc, manufacturers still come up with something not up to expectation.

Things like horse power are important, but when you sit in that car, you just don't feel that you are in a 30k car. Not even a 25k car.

I love the interior (esp. the dash board) of the 2002 Camry and the style of the new Altima. I really want to have an Altima, but its interior really turns me off. I will wait to see if Accord can do a better job next year.
    In about a month that same 27k MSRP Altima will be selling for probably about 23-24k.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    as long as people are buying for sticker (and they are...) that won't happen. Salesman told me yesterday they expect sticker to be the going rate for quite some time....
    Salesman told me on Saturday he was willing to sell an SE for "5, 6, 700 below sticker." This was in Boston.

Another salesman told my parents on Saturday that he was willing to sell for "500 below sticker." This was in North Mississippi.

Note that both of these quotes were at the end of the month, however.
  • ntenbroekntenbroek Member Posts: 5
    I love this car. Due to non-availability of an SL with a manual I picked up an S and the dealer is installing leather. It looks and feels better that the factory provided interior.

Just a suggestion for people trying to get their hands on a five speed.

BTW I agree about the passat interior being nicer...materials anyway. But my wife clearly preferred the layout of the altima. And I felt it was more fun to drive than the vw, which felt a little heavy with the base turbo.
  • ntenbroekntenbroek Member Posts: 5
    Got it for almost $1000 under msrp.
    That salesman obviously doesn't see the direction of car sales. Sales are slipping each month. I'm guessing in November Nissan will provide rebates or amazing APRs for Altimas that are languishing on lots. Just like all the other cars.
  • cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    One thing to remember, Nissan does not set pricing, neither does the dealer, the market sets the price, and right now the consumer market is saying that the altima is worth near or at sticker, if noone would pay near sticker then there would be big discounts. So don't blame Nissan or the dealers for the small if any discounts, the consumer sets the price. As always, there is an initial rush and there is low availability and high demand, as this goes away, prices come down, if you want a decent discount, just wait a few months. And if the altima is overpriced, what does that make a camry when it has less and costs more than the altima?
  • mckaguemckague Member Posts: 24
    There's only one thing left for us to do. Form a consumer's union, and all agree to pay no more than invoice. We can take a bit of the money we save and chip in to hire a goon squad that will go around strong arming any customers who try to pay more. Power to the people!
This discussion has been closed.