Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    "The way the survey is conducted, will show low percentages, it would be unusual to get something over say 20% or so."

You are telling me that only 20% of the people would cross shop between Accord and Camry? I don't think you can ever come up with a low number like that.

I also never heard of that "largest crosshopping survey" you spoke. Sorry. J.D power, now I heard of that. Edmunds, I heard of that. Kelly's Blue Book, I heard of that too. But not the one you mentioned.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    I am curious how people who end up buying the Altima will calculate what is a fair price for this car.

Advantage dealer:

New design (2002)
    More hp 4 & 6 cylinder
    Initial supply

Advantage Buyer:

Honda & Toyota want your business too.
    Nissan wants to sell 190,000 units first year.
    Dealers will compete against each other.

Many ways to buy:

Get invoice price off web go in and haggle.
    Go through internet car buying service.
    Do your own fax blitz.
    Wait for hype is over and look for sale ads.

How much to pay?

Invoice + 4% 5% 6% 7%
    Pay Sticker

Depending how people will buy this car will tell me what I can expect to pay.
  • cncmancncman Posts: 487
    http://www.maritz.com

JD power, Edmunds, KBB, have nothing to do with marketing, you keep making claims based on marketing information, the best thing to do is go to the biggest source and the only one that does cross-shopping surveys that I have ever heard of is Maritz, I really thought you implied you knew all about marketing and what the people want, but you have never heard of Maritz? And you really need to understand how the survey works and how they come up with the numbers, the more important thing is which is the most shopped and in which order, for the altima, the most shopped was the 4 cylinder camry's and accords, for the maxima it was V6 camrys and Accords. No other vehicle was compared more. Also don't forget to take into account repeat buyers, people that just saw what they want on the road and bought it, and the people that bought on a friend/family recommendation or because the dealer was close etc, etc.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    If you want a good deal and expect to get any great discount from brokers and Cardirect.com etc, I think you will need to at least wait one month after it first starts selling at the dealers.
    Fax blitzes and car buying services are not going to accomplish much in the first weeks. That will only be of value after the dealers have stock of the 2002 Altima sitting unsold on their lots for more than a few days.
    Either you want the thrill of getting it on the first day or the first week and pay the price, or you wait for the frenzy to die down before making your move.
    Well, when a new car comes out, if it's not seriously deficient in some areas (looks, performanc, price), it usually goes for MSRP for a while, as the initial rush buy happens. Then after a few months, the demands cools off, and meets up with the increasing supply, then the prices levels off.

Looking at the last Accord/Camry redsign, it pretty much turned out that way. Couple months of MSRP buying, then gradually comes down to the usual 3-5% over invoice.

All this is based on the assumption that the demand levels off, and the supply (manufacturing capability) is keeping pace with the demand. If the demand takes off (like Honda Odyssey), then MSRP buying will last a long while. But if the buyers don't like the design, and there is an over supply, then you will see heavy incentives by the automaker to move the vehicle (like Chevy Cavalier).

190,000 cars is definitly do-able as long as the price of the Altima isn't out rageous (when compared to the Accord/Camry crowd).

A large part of the question is how well the 2002 Toyota Camry will do, since they come out roughly the same time, and will also be heavily marketed. Honda Accord is being redesigned 12 months from now, and Honda VP has hinted that they will do more than 240 hp. So that will probably play a part sometimes down the road.

So I would say, expect to pay MSRP when the new Altima and Camry comes out. But chances are good that you will get a better deal by middle of the winter. Incidentally, winter is also typically the slow season for car shopping (as people are on vacation or too cold to bother with shopping). Dealers might be more willing to move the cars at a lower price then.
    I'm never claimed to be a marketing expert. Please quote me where I claimed that. If not, please don't put words in my mouth, thank you.

But I do have a fair feel for the car market. It doesn't take an expert to know that more than more than 20% of the Accord Camry buyers cross shop these 2 cars. And you still mean to tell me that 10% is more than one out of 10 people? Didn't you say numbers don't lie?

"JD power... have nothing to do with marketing".

This is why I think you need to double check your info. I needn't debate with you any further. I thought I remember that you said you wanted to stop.
    I am curious how people who end up buying the Altima will calculate what is a fair price for this car.

Advantage dealer:

New design (2002)
    More hp 4 & 6 cylinder
    Initial supply

Advantage Buyer:

Honda & Toyota want your business too.
    Nissan wants to sell 190,000 units first year.
    Dealers will compete against each other.

Many ways to buy:

Get invoice price off web go in and haggle.
    Go through internet car buying service.
    Do your own fax blitz.
    Wait for hype is over and look for sale ads.

How much to pay?

Invoice + 4% 5% 6% 7%
    Pay Sticker

Depending how people will buy this car will tell me what I can expect to pay.
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    considering prices aren't out yet, there shall be no hope of someone answering your question anytime soon.
    going to release the price anyway? I have all the info except that little piece.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...are unlikely to be released more than a couple of weeks, or even less, prior to rollout. And the latter date seems to keep moving...suffice to say that it won't be longer than another 3 weeks or so, especially if the rumor about an early release to beat the Camry is true.

I still say there is a lot of obsessing here that is just wasted energy - the prices will match the current Accord, model for model and feature for feature, within a couple of hundred bucks, more or less. After the initial arm-waving, the discounting will begin, and the market will find its natural level, within a few hundred $ of invoice just like everything else out there in this category. Relax, people.
    If you make comments like these, I think you are passing yourself off as an expert. Or at least someone who knows more about marketing than we do.

"The market concensus is that the Altima is NOT a competitor for the camcord, only the Maxima is. "You might not care about what most people think, but I'm sure Nissan's marketing department does." "And anyone who has any feel for the market knows that's not true" "I agree numbers don't lie. But neither does the market analysis" "I rest assured knowing the reality of the market."

JD power has does surveys mainly on quality and customer service, which marketing survey have they done? And the only cross shopping survey I know of is the maritz one, if you know of another, please let me know, also you may need to study up on survey groups, statistics, polling methods and margins of error so you can understand how to read a survey. The figures are relative, doesn't matter if you say 90% or 5% of the people surveyed compared the altima with the accord/camry. Fact is if people were going to cross shop, the most common one for them to do it is the 4cylinder camcords. put whatever % you need to to make yourself understand and feel comfortable, doesn't change the statement. You were always complaining that noone backed up their statements with facts, well, here is the facts from the only source of reliable cross shopping I have ever heard of. If you have more, please share. I thought you were done too, I just posted the info and you misinterpreted it and I corrected you.
    I pose this question regardless of the price of the Altima. The spread between invoice and msrp is all I asking.

Certainly people who buy a car in this mid-size category will pay a price above invoice that they would feel comfortable with.
    Check out freshalloy.com, they seem to think the SE will be around $23,000 if so that's great, but I just don't see how Nissan can build it for that. Also, some other good stuff in there about the altima.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I think there is some dollar amount that people are going to be willing to be pay for the car. Either the car will be be priced above that point and the dealers will have to discount to meet it, or the car will be priced below that point and the dealers will not need to discount.
    If they car has a MSRP of $22K for an SE with all the options, then they will be able to get that price regardless of what the invoice is until there is overstock of the vehicle and the Nissan dealers are fighting amongst each other for sales.
    If the price is $27K, then many buyers that are not desperate for the 235 HP are going to say they can go get a Toyota or Honda for less and will not take the Altima unless it is drastically discounted.
    I would say wait a month or so, usually the dealer won't get many in the first shipment, and there would be no reason to dramatically discount it, especially the SE V6, I imagine it would be pretty scarce, also, that would give a better oportunity to get the color/equipment you want.
    Most of the choice pieces will be snatched up by buyers that left deposits and the first ones on the lot.
    Whatever, please don't put words in my mouth. When that 10% cross shopping Altima buyers turn into something like "50% of Altima buyers cross shop with Camcords" then call me. If not, please don't waste my time telling me that most people cross shop between these 2 different classes of cars.

Now, I got better things to do, like watching "rush hours 2" with my wife. See ya.

P.S check out: http://www.jdpower.com/

Hmmm... "a global marketing information services firm that provides clients with relevant and actionable market research, forecasting, consulting and training"
    That's been the way for Accords and Camrys in the past when they get a redesign.

For mass produced cars that sells by volume, such as Accord/Camry, the prices usually stabalizes at the 3-5% over invoice range. If you could resist the urge to be the first one on the block to own one, then you can probably do better than paying MSRP. (also, you might also dodge any initial teething trouble any first year model might have).
    Doesn't change the fact that if an altima buyer cross shops, the most likely one will be the 4 cylinder camcords, they do not shop any other vehicle more, and Maxima buyers will shop V6 Camrys and Accords more than any other make. However you want to read it is fine with me, doesn't change the facts. Please let us know what the results of the JD power, edmunds, KBB cross shopping survey were since this is the relative marketing aspect we are talking about. Enjoy the movie.

I do also think it would be a good idea to wait, unless you are in real good with the dealer and they are willing to give you as good a deal as waiting.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    the posts on this board are becoming boring, immature, uninteresting, and above all, uninformative.
    See ya in about a week.
    ~alpha
    Good movie guys. Much more interesting than the constant attempt of twisting of words here. Yawn. 10% hasn't changed into 50% has it? No? Good. Math does come in handy once in a while.

Anyway. I would recommend "rush hours 2". It's one funny movie. I think it's a more worthy investment of money than The Planet of Apes or Jurasic Park III. Those didn't impress me much.
  • http://www.nissannews.com/cgi/frameset.pl?/nissan/news/products/relautopasse2001082100306.html

I find it amazing that that they just started production and the car will be introduced in late Aug. mid Sept. that's a lot of cars to make in a very short time to supply dealers. Don't you think???

• bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
    Has anyone seen the colors posted for the '02? I didn't see them on Freshalloy.

blue
    Finally, Something of interest than silly games.

Very sharp color. Looks like the SE but cannot see a spoiler on trunk lid.
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    Yes! Rush Hour 2 was funny as hell ... made $67 million in teh first weekend, pretty good anyway...onto the Altima
    Hmm, like 12% of maxima buyers cross shopped V6 camry's not 50% and the 4 cylinder camry didn't even register? That kind of math? You can't have it both ways.

Haven't seen the colors either, Nissan did push up the release of the altimas because dealers are really short on supply also for the Maximas too. Can't wait to lay my hands on one in person, I think everyone will pleasantly surprised.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    It's actually a 2.5SL model, notice that it doesn't have fog lights.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
    Is that true, that the 2.5 SL doesn't have the fog blasters? BTW, my vision wasn't sharp enough to tell if the one in Smyrna had them or not.
    Yawn.... you are wasting my time. Call me when it gets to 50%, not some low 10%. Now stop wasting my time.
    seems like you have a lot of time to waste, I am glad you get to put your standards on the industry leaders results, must make you feel very good, you don't have to like the results, but it doesn't mean it's not true, and if the only intelligent thing you have to say is yawn, then I accept your surrender and am ready to move on.

BTW I found some dimensions on the new altima VS the new Camry (02's) Seems like they will be pretty close,
    Altima will have more passenger volume, but a slightly smaller truck.
    Passenger volume altima 103.2 Camry 101.7
    total volume (including trunk) Altima 118.8 Camry 118.4
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    So how much larger is the interior than the Maxima?
This discussion has been closed.