Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Altima

Comments

• Options
    cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    Interesting.. I've asked around for an SE 5 speed with only side airbags as an option... absolutely no one has one.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    According to Nissan's Altima brochure, "Xenon HID headlights" are available, but ONLY as an option on the 3.5 SE and only in conjunction with the sunroof option. Edmunds' pricing info shows the MSRP for HID at $499 and the sunroof is an extra $849. Go figure.
  • Options
    ntenbroekntenbroek Member Posts: 5
    Get a 2.5S with a cloth interior and then have leather installed through the dealer. You'll get better quality leather and you can have your car now instead of waiting. Price was about the same for me.

Also no squeaks in my interior or bits falling off.
  • Options
    aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    They're everywhere around here (Boston). When I went out searching for Altimas last month, that's all I could find in 5-speed SE's. I don't want leather, so it was really frustrating.
  • Options
    gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    riez: Once again, the reason that they put the H-rated tires on the Auto 3.5SE is probably because most buyers of that model would rather have the softer riding, longer lasting, less expensive H-rated tires over the V-rated ones. Most drivers never reach speeds anywhere near 130 MPH and most drivers never make use of the extra handling that the V-rated tires would give them. If you truely do want to drive that fast, or feel you would like the extra grip that higher performance tires would give you, then I would recommend that you buy aftermarket tires if you get an Altima (no matter if you get the auto or the manual). If the V-rated tires that are available on the manual are anything like the V-rated tires that came on my Max SE they are not true performance tires anyway. These so called more agressive (225/50 VR17) tires are completely useless when the roads are even slightly wet.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I say if you want the V-rated tires that badly, learn to drive stick! :-)

We have Vs on our sedan and they are lousy in the snow. Tread life has been OK, though.

-juice
  • Options
    oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I am shocked at the ridiculous sticker and purchanse prices on the '02 Altima. Yes, it is newly designed, yes it has a new and supposedly good engine. So what ? For $25k++ is simply ridiculous.

Since when is a mid-size bland-outfitted sedan supposed to cost mid-20's ?? I mean, ain't people thinking when they plunk down big dollars for a car like the Altima ?

C'mon people... use your head a little here. How can an Altima cost $20k, $25k, $28k, depending on trim level ???

When I bought my '96 Altima GXE (auto), I paid an OTD price of $14,500. 5 years later in Jan '01 when I sold it, it went for $7,500 with a little over 60k miles, and everything else standard. Geez ! I cannot even imagine a $20k tag for any Altima. It just ain't worth that kinda money, regardless of the re-design.

Same goes for the Camry. How anyone could think to pay $26k+ for a Camry XLE V6 is unimaginable. I mean this is a Toyota Camry, right ? Same goes for a Nissan Altima, to cost $25k... Unbelievable to me.

IMO, for all that you might want in a mid-size, good design, good engine, reliable, quality, good resale, etc... The Accord EX V6 is the undisputed best value. Period. For $23,500, you can get everything STANDARD. Everything that Altima and Camry has plus more for a lot less on the Accord. And the Accord is far better than an Altima could ever be....

If you are in the market for a mid-size sedan, I'd caution you not to put much weight or stock in most posts on this forum. People would make you think an Altima with its good looks and good engine can be worth its price. No way in hell does it. I don't care how good it is, it just ain't worth that much. For me, a past and current Nissan owner, I won't even pay $20k for the 3.5SE V6 Altima. And some shnitz would pay that ? Maybe they are smokin' something....
  • Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    The Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on my 02 Max SE are V rated. I wonder why they wouldn't put the same on a 3.5 SE Altima?

Maybe they give the Max more expensive tires?
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Gee, for that kind of money, you can almost afford a real RWD car instead of a wanna-be FWD appliance.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Um...get with the program. The average selling price of cars is OVER 20k. Short of an econobox Civic/Sentra, what can you really get for under 20k?

And maybe someone should point out that the little Honda for 23k is a 5 year old design with an anemic 200 hp engine. Good grief.
  • Options
    That's what cars cost nowadays. You haven't shopped for a car in half a decade. The average transaction price is over $24 grand per NADA. It's par for the course.

That Altima you bought was loaded with incentives and sold probably around invoice. It was also the very lowest car rated in the JD Power APEAL study, which explains why Nissan and dealers were giving them away. I doubt the new one will suffer the same fate.

-juice
  • Options
    blue: did you call the 3L 200 hp V6 of the Accord anemic ? I'd ask you to put your sedan against this so-called anemic engine and see for yourself. That 200 hp engine gets 20/28 mpg city/highway; what does the Alty get ? Yes, I know the answer, it ain't same as the Accord, right ?

And the average selling price for mid-size sedans these days are in mid-20's ? I don't still see the Accord EX V6 selling for that yet, is it ? You can get it close to invoice at just a shade under $24k. Can you get that on the lightly loaded Alty 3.5 SE ? Nope, at least not yet.... Supply and demand will meet up with the Alty and its price will drop like a rock.... Even a 4-cyl (auto trans) Accord LX with ABS and side bags even cost under $20k. Isn't that correct ??? So how can the little Alty with such pedestrian interior materials and shaky fit and finish be worth 5-grand more than the better built, and better quality, and better resale Accord ? Can you explain that ?

Don't get me wrong, I like Nissan. Heck I've owned then for 5+ years going now and have no complaints whatsoever. My current '96 Nissan Maxima is still going strong as ever... And I do love this vehicle. But not at $30k price for the '02 version.. Heck No !!! For $30k, I'd be looking at a Lex or a Bimmer, for my money, not an Alty or Max...

ateixera: did you check my profile ? I just bought an '01 Toyota Sequoia. I guess it isn't like I haven't shopped for "half a decade" as you said. So, would I consider buying that Alty for 25k. Not in this life time ! There are plenty of cars that are far superior to the Alty at that price range, including near-luxury cars...

I think some how, you must admit that the price on the Alty is outrageous, and youd be crazy to be paying anywhere close to MSRP on these vehicles. Please note, I paid close to MSRP on my Seqouia, but you cannot compare the quality and value of a Toy to a Nissan now can you ? I own both and can compare....
  • Options
    Would the price still be outrageous if they had called it a Maxima instead of an Altima? Cause that's what it is. It's basically replacing the Maxima, and the Maxima will move upscale in 2003 to the 30-40k category.

On another note, the Altima 3.5 does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds according to Motorweek, outrunning a Ford Mustang GT. The Accord EX V6 does it in 8.0. That is what is meant by "anemic."

As for getting the Altima close to invoice, that is also possible. I just put down a deposit on a well-equipped 3.5SE that stickered at $26,500. I got it for $500 over invoice, or $24,500. That's with a manual transmission, which is not offered on your Accord. And like you said, prices on the Alty will drop over the winter, so if you wait a few months I wouldn't be surprised to see prices fall below invoice.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    You are seriously behind the times my friend. If you were so content with your 14.5K 96 Altima, perhaps you should have held on to that truly uninspired appliance. The average vehicle purchase price is now over $24,000 as of last year, and accordingly, the average V6 mid-size car goes for about that. Average and midsize, however are becoming terms that are also outdated, especially when the exceptionally roomy and seriously kick [non-permissible content removed] new Altima 3.5SE is considered. Another point: the average vehicle purchase price consumes a lower percentage of an average households annual income than 10 or 20 years ago. About the Accord- the MSRP on an EX V6 is considerably higher than 23,500, and since purchase prices vary widely on negotiating ability, incentives, etc., MSRP is an appropriate comparison point. PLUS on the Accord, you won't find available side curtain airbags, a navigation system, or vehicle skid control. Not to mention that the design is in its 5th year........
  • Options
    this debate is interesting...

if the average car price is now mid-20's, can you care to name the low end and the high end prices used for computing this average ?

Would you vouch that no mid-size sedan cost less than $20k even with a V6 ? And who ever says V6 is a measure of a mid-size sedan ? Even those who have test drove the 4-cyl Alty 2.5 says it is quite peppy.... sooooo ! do you need to pay 25 grand just to add more pep on highway driving limited to 75 mph ? How many horses do you need to navigate the highways across the country ? Is 200 hp enough, or do you need that whap-speed 240 hp of the Alty 3.5 ?

I may be behind the times, alpha01, but if not wanting to pay outrageous price for a car that I believe ain't worth it, IMO, is considered behind-the-times, so be it... And, MSRP is not a good starting point for purchasing any car; invoice is. Many car buyers typically start from invoice and not MSRP unless you are buying high-priced luxo vehicles. With the likes of the Alty or Max, starting from MSRP is stupid...

So re-naming the new Alty as "Maxima" would sell better ? Not likely. The Max has continually being a laggard in sales behind the Camry and Accord. It is a good vehicle noted only for its superb 3.0L V6 engine. That's the "book" on the Max. If this vehicle moves up to the 30-40k price range, it will even be harder to sell, and Nissan may be out of business sooner than they think. Would you pay that kind of jack for a Maxima ? Be honest now !

People just need to be more savvy buyers, and ask for more for their money. If you are content buying "good looks" and a new peppy, tho' untested 3.5L engine in the Alty for all that jack, that is your money. For me, I'd look elsewhere than an Alty at $25k+ cost.... It ain't worth it. This is just me, tho'....
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    <<did you call the 3L 200 hp V6 of the Accord anemic ?>>

Yes. :)

<< I'd ask you to put your sedan against this so-called anemic engine and see for yourself.>>

My car? I currently have two. Neither one is an Altima.

<<That 200 hp engine gets 20/28 mpg city/highway; what does the Alty get ? Yes, I know the answer, it ain't same as the Accord, right ?>>

I never consider MPG when looking at cars as I never get anywhere near those numbers. But for the record, the Altima gets 21/26 auto and 19/26 manual. 2 MPG will not break me either way. That's sorta like complaining when a car requires premium. If someone can't float $2 more per tankful...

<<And the average selling price for mid-size sedans these days are in mid-20's ? I don't still see the Accord EX V6 selling for that yet, is it ? You can get it close to invoice at just a shade under $24k.>>

24k IS mid-20s. What planet is 24 not the mid-20s? What's the MSRP on that cat? Well the ancient 2002 Honda Accord EX with 3.0 and leather carries an MSRP of...$25,740. Remember that's with auto (useless) and only 200 hp and 15 inch rims (lol).

<<Can you get that on the lightly loaded Alty 3.5 SE ? Nope, at least not yet.... >>

Well an Altima 3.5 SE with leather and premium Bose 6 disc radio, auto-climate has an MSRP of $25,187. 26k with the moonroof. locally, mossy nissan is selling Altima's with a $900 discount.

<<Supply and demand will meet up with the Alty and its price will drop like a rock....>>

Oh definitely, like it has for the Camry and Accord.

<< Even a 4-cyl (auto trans) Accord LX with ABS and side bags even cost under $20k. Isn't that correct ???>>

Guess what, an Altima 2.5S with Auto (ick!), ABS and side air bags goes for $20,138 MSRP. That's sporting an engine that smashes the Honda's. Step up to the 2.5SL for another 1-2k and you get other goodies.

<< So how can the little Alty with such pedestrian interior materials and shaky fit and finish be worth 5-grand more than the better built, and better quality, and better resale Accord ? Can you explain that ?>>

Um, so far content to content the 3.5SE pretty much matches and in some cases nukes the Accord. Can you get Xenon lights on an Accord? don't think so. What about 5 speed and a V6? Nope. 17 inch wheels standard? Not even an option on the Accord.

<<Don't get me wrong, I like Nissan. Heck I've owned then for 5+ years going now and have no complaints whatsoever. My current '96 Nissan Maxima is still going strong as ever... And I do love this vehicle. But not at $30k price for the '02 version.. Heck No !!!>>

Where on earth are people paying 30k for a Max?
    I just put together an 02 Max 6 speed with the meridian package, leather, bose 6 disc, LSD, sunroof, traction control, 17's, xenon and it rang in at $30.4k...carsdirect price of $27,907.

<< For $30k, I'd be looking at a Lex or a Bimmer, for my money, not an Alty or Max...>>

You show me a single Lexus/Bimmer that has 255 HP, Xenon, 6 speed and leather for 28k. Oh, that only exists in a pipe dream. You can get a smaller (different class of car) IS300 with a smaller engine and a five speed, sunroof, leather, LSD for 33k MSRP - 30.8K carsdirect price. As for BMW, the 3 series is much smaller than the Max, but for argument's sake we'll put together a 330i (can't do the 325 with its tiny engine), and with just the premium package (leather, etc) and Xenon lights we're at 38k.

<< I think some how, you must admit that the price on the Alty is outrageous, and youd be crazy to be paying anywhere close to MSRP on these vehicles. >>

It's crazy to pay MSRP on ANY car. You're giving a dealer a huge profit for existing. Nothing more.

<< Please note, I paid close to MSRP on my Seqouia, but you cannot compare the quality and value of a Toy to a Nissan now can you ? I own both and can compare.... >>

Sorry, sounds like you got taken. On Carsdirect the Sequoia pops up 2k under MSRP instantly. That leaves about $1500 more to get the thieves to take off t
  • Options
    ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    On our 2002 Altima S automatic we got 27.3 miles per gallon, about 2/3 of which was highway driving
    and 1/3 city stop and go. Our first tank of all city miles was just under 21.
  • Options
    Since you quote ad nauseum carsdirect.com numbers, here is more for you:

'02 Accord EX V6 (loaded): MSRP $25,740, carsdirect price: $23,480 (ca. $200 over invoice)... Just like I said in my earlier post, to wit: you can get loaded Accord EX V6 at "... just a shade under $24k...". And this is simply semantics, calling 24k, mid-20... I won't argue that one since it is a trivial point.

But the main point here is this: The fully loaded Accord EX V6 can be had under $24k.

Now let us look at the Alty 3.5SE: using your specs - moonroof, Bose 6-CD in-dash, leather seat: MSRP $27,884, carsdirect.com price = $27,884 (ca. $2,200 over invoice). Sorry, blue, your numbers just don't add up here. If you doubt this, here is the link for you:

http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=92069&acode=USB20NIC041D0&restore=false

On the '02 Maxima price of $30k, surprise, surprise here. Just in case you forgot what you said on it, here it is again:

"...Where on earth are people paying 30k for a Max? I just put together an 02 Max 6 speed with the meridian package, leather, bose 6 disc, LSD, sunroof, traction control, 17's, xenon and it rang in at $30.4k...carsdirect price of $27,907..." Well, well... Just what I said and confirmed by your numbers. So you can get a 30.4k car for $27.9, good for you. Are you buying it at that price ? Not me....

As for the rest, just too long to answer verbatim:

But my point remains, the Alty ain't worth $25k, not with the stuff in that vehicle which ain't up to snuff with comparable vehicles in the price range. Upgrade the interior to match 25 grand worth, and you may have a real contender in the mid-size sedan market. Until then, Cam/Cords rule, baby !!! This forum is in the vast minority of car buyers, and with over 1.6 million Accords and an equal number of Camry's out there, the Nissan Altima and its twin brother Maxima have a loooonnnggg ways to go to come close to the competition. That is a fact ! And with the outrageous pricing on them, they are going to have an even longer task matching their very competent competitors.

Nissan should have this motto in selling their new Altima: "a slow penny is better than a fast dollar", I guess they would learn with time, won't they ? Time shall tell...

• Options
    Even those who have test drove the 4-cyl Alty 2.5 says it is quite peppy.... sooooo ! do you need to pay 25 grand just to add more pep on highway driving limited to 75 mph ? How many horses do you need to navigate the highways across the country ? Is 200 hp enough, or do you need that whap-speed 240 hp of the Alty 3.5 ?

No, I don't need 240 hp, I don't even need 175. Heck, I don't need any more car than a $13,000 Elantra (which is also overpowered for 75 mph cruising). But I want 240 hp. I understand that there is little practical reason for this, however, it is my choice and I understand the tradeoff. It makes me happy when I drive the car, so it is worth the extra 1-2K in my book.

Do you really need that Sequoia, or could you have gotten by with a 4Runner or Highlander? They both get better gas mileage and are cheaper. If you needed the space of the Sequoia, why not buy an Odyssey or Grand Caravan?

Cars nowadays are not about what is practical. Almost any car is sufficient. What sells a car is a mix of practicality, fun, style, and reliability. For me, the fun factor is more important than practicality, and so I chose the 240 hp Altima.

Also note that the Maxima has outsold the V6 Camry and Accord COMBINED since they were released. It is not a "laggard" in sales. When it moves upscale in '03, it is rumored to get AWD and possibly a V8; regardless, don't confuse it with the Maxima that is sold today.

And the 3.5L engine in the Altima is not untested. It's been used in the Pathfinder for about a 1 1/2 years now, and it's based on the Maxima engine.
  • Options
    As for Nissan going out of business soon...

Nissan announces record half-year operating profit of $1.5 billion

I don't think Nissan's going anywhere.

• Options
    obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I get 20/27 gas mileage on my "automatic" 02 Maxima SE and that is better than my 99 3.0 Acura CL was (basically an Accord). Geez, the same mileage from a 3.5L 255 hp V6? That has GOT to best the Accord!

Also, I paid $25K for my Max and that is $5,000 less than the $30K that was thought.

So there you go. Yes, I do love my Maxima! Great car!

But, yes, oac3 is correct that you can get a fully loaded Accord V6 Sedan for under $25K. If that is his point, then point well made. Is the Accord a better car than the Max or Altima? I don't think so.

Obi
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I don't know why you think $24,000 are higher is too much to pay for a new car, come on, get in with the times my friend, and as far as how much you paid for your previous Altima, that was the OLD Altima, this is the NEW Altima, it's much bigger than the last two versions, and is LARGER than the old style Honda Accord, if you are so worried about how much a car cost, why don't you look at the new Sonata or the Kia Optima, the Sonata has features comparable to the Accord, and it's cheaper than the Accord. Also, watch next year, the new Accord is said to be much higher than this model. Also, when it comes to looks, the new Altima can't be beat, the Accord is simply to old and dated for me, I prefer the new look of the ALL new Altima SL model, I don't care if the Accord has auto climate control, and all those other features, if I want them, I'll buy an Altima 3.5SE which is faster, better looking, way sportier, and just more in tune with me.

Also, there are somethings the Accord has over the Altima, but they are very few, maybe a power passenger seat, also a better looking interior, and other little nick-nacks.

The Altima 3.5SE has these features over the Accord EXV6

*Bigger rims
    *Xenons optional
    *Bose system that sounds much better than even the sound system in the Acura TL
    *Larger interior
    *Trip computer
    *Auto up/down front windows(also with the key fob and the use of the key inside the key hole.)
    *Adjustable armrest
    *40 more noticable horsepower
    *Brake Assist optional
    *Heated front seats optional
  • Options
    nautikernautiker Member Posts: 32
    After reading this post, I felt a need to reply w/ my $0.02.

"If you are in the market for a mid-size sedan, I'd caution you not to put much weight or stock in most posts on this forum."

--very interesting. . .then I guess we should all just listen to you and take heed to your opinion only?? Have you driven this car?? Have you been out pricing cars @ dealers recently?? First of all, any EDUCATED consumer nowadays will NOT pay MSRP for any car! The tools are all right here on Edmunds to pay a FAIR price. Average $$ is 24-25k nowadays. . .something called inflation. Second, It sounds as if the only post we should listen to is yours or those posts which agree w/ yours. DRIVE the car and then offer your opinions.

"People would make you think an Altima with its good looks and good engine can be worth its price."

==Yeah, and the majority of the people who believe this have DRIVEN the vehicle, SAT in the vehicle and looked the vehicle over inside and out. Funny thing. . .compared to other sedans in this class. . it is worth the price (and I don't mean MSRP) there is an easy $2k leeway between msrp and invoice on this vehicle. . .It's a sweet ride if you play your numbers right w/ the dealer and doesn't look like everything else on the road.

Finally, I have a 98 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 and it IS anemic--especially shifting from 1st to 2nd. . all that hp and a power robbing auto tranny to match. . .

==and by the way, I don't smoke. . .might start after reading this post , though. . .It might allow me to comprehend your opinions on the Altima that much easier. . .
  • Options
    dyarbroughdyarbrough Member Posts: 2
    Closed the deal last weekend on a new 2.5S automatic for delivery this weekend. Dealer was pretty straightforward about asking for lots of money, final deal was 2% over invoice plus a couple of other issues:

1. In my area documentary fees are ubiquitous to the point of sales managers claiming they're mandatory under local law (North Carolina) - which is total BS, the law simply says that any doc fee has to be explicitly stated.
    I walked away over the doc fee of $269, refusing to pay it; and the dealer wound up offering to split the difference, with the salesman chasing me to my car (I'd already written a deposit check and put it back in my pocket); I wrote off the difference to negotiation and took the deal. It made the total markup about $500, which seems to be reasonable.

2. Nissan factory invoices in this area show an additional $400 over base invoice for factory advertising. This is reflected in carsdirect.com's invoice figure but not edmunds.com. Anyone know what the real story is on this? If the dealer gets this money it turns a good deal into a terrible one, and I'll call the deal off.

Bottom line $ on the car is a whisker under $19.5K out the door including floormats and microfilter. Financing on the new easy payment plan - 100% down, no other payments!

More than a Camry? Not in the South. MOre than an Accord? Maybe, but it's a whole lot more comfortable for my 6'8" frame and growing kids who take after their dad!

It's DEFINITELY not in the $24K range that people talk about being the average new car these days. Who the **** are these people, what are they buying, and what are they using for money to do it???
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I think your irrational thinking is terrible. You diss people for buying an Altima for $25K, while you're driving a Sequoia for almost $40K. The Sequoia in my opinion is a BIG scam! You spend $35-40K on a SUV that you will never ever go off road. Couldn't you have settle for less? If you're so concern about "value", why not get Hyundai Santa Fe?

Surely, you could have bought a fully loaded Rav4 that can do exactly the same thing a Sequoia can do...get you from point A to point B, and save you at least $12K. How's that for spending too much?

Wake up and listen to yourself!! You have absolutely no logical rational for dissing people who prefer a superior car (Altima). Get a grip!
  • Options
    maybe my posts rubbed some of you owners the wrong way... my sincere apologies... i didn't mean to "diss" you owners, as hvan3 insinuated. btw, hvan3, what does my driving the Sequoia has to do with the Alty ? I simply quoted my new ride to answer someone else's comment that I hadn't shopped for a car in half a decade :)

nautiker: your sarcasm is not lost on me.... but to respond to yours: yes, i have sat in this car. yes i have driven this car. yes, i have evaluated this car inside and out at the dealership in person (not from magazine and/or news reports). yes i have been out pricing other cars at many dealerships since i am in the market for one (care to check out my profile ?)... and if it isn't obvious already, yes i am a nissan fan, i used to own two nissans, now down to one. still love the car very much, but it is aging (tho' gracefully)...

maxamillion, i hear you with the pros and cons of the Honda and the Alty.... buyers decide for themselves tho'. You know those Hondas with their aged design and anemic engines continue to sell millions ! why ? who knows !! hehehe...

anyways, it seems many owners are happy with their rides, high priced and all... and if you all think that it is worth the price, so be it. I just find it on the high side for a vehicle with many obvious lapses in interior quality fit and finish, especially on such a radical new design and nissan's efforts to garner market share in the lucrative mid-size sedan market. and more importantly, the competition's interior materials are far superior than in the Alty (not just my words, but from many on this board). i guess, this does not matter afterall to owners...

my interest here is bcos i am in the market for another car, to replace my '96 Maxima, looking preferably for another mid-size sedan. i have already test-driven the Alty 3.5 SE with the 5-speed manual. i liked the car and thought (then) that it was worth its high price (see my post #1345). I am man enough to admit my change of face.... Since then, after test driving many other vehicles in my price range (which the Alty 3.5 SE also fits in price-wise), I have changed my mind and would feel cheated if I were to spend that kind of jack on the Alty. for my money, it is better spent elsewhere, like I said, that is just me tho'...

Finally, it is interesting to read others on this forum who are now championing the high prices on the Alty. Once upon a time (say ca a couple of months ago), they used to beat up on the Alty's high price.

Care to read about examples ? Some might be embarrassed you see...

I won't provide the quotes but check out posts #1115, 1120, 1129, etc... just to mention a few.

i guess the Alty is not for me, despite all of the advantages maxamillion and others have alluded to here... and my search continues...
  • Options
    gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    oac3 - "but you cannot compare the quality and value of a Toy to a Nissan now can you ?" I would compare the value and quality of my Max to the Camry anyday. Fit and finish in the Max is just as good if not better then in the Camry. As for value, that depends on what you want. If you enjoy driving then the sportier Maxima is a better value. If you enjoy being disconnected from the road then the Camry is a better value. When it comes to reliability, on average the Max is just as good as the Camry.

As for people calling the Accord's V6 engine anemic, I wouldn't exactly call 200 hp anemic but it is certainly starting to be on the low side of average for V6 engines. If you actually drove the Altima 3.5 SE with manual and have experience driving the Accord V6 then I am sure you could see why people here would classify the Accord's V6 as anemic compared to the Altima's V6.

"and with over 1.6 million Accords and an equal number of Camry's out there, the Nissan Altima and its twin brother Maxima have a loooonnnggg ways to go to come close to the competition." I am not sure that I want to own the same car as half the people on my block. I will agree that the Accord and the Camry are good cars but not because they sell more. Remember, the Taurus sells almost as well as the Camry and Accord do. Does that mean it is as good a car as them?

"That is a fact ! And with the outrageous pricing on them (the Maxima and Altima), they are going to have an even longer task matching their very competent competitors." The only reason the Altima is currently going for anywhere near MSRP is because the supply can not keep up with demand. Once Nissan starts pumping out more Altimas the price will eventually drop to close to invoice (like the Accord and Camry). At invoice prices the Altima quickly becomes a much better value. As for the price of the Maxima being too high, well compared to the Accord it does appear high. But that is like saying that your Sequoia is over priced compared to the Nissan Xterra. The two don't compare. On paper the Max is much better compared to the Acura TL where the two are priced very competitively.

All of that said, it is very difficult taking you seriously oac3, on one hand you appear to be critisizing those who have paid MSRP on the Altima and then you turn around and tell us that you just paid MSRP on your large SUV. Your ask why anyone would ever need 240hp on their car but I question why you would ever need a large SUV when you live in California. Would a Sienna not have been a better choice (if you truely need the space)? The fact is that you probably chose the Sienna because it appealed to you. Probably the same reason most here have purchased the Altima.

afty - "Would the price still be outrageous if they had called it a Maxima instead of an Altima? Cause that's what it is." Not quite. The Maxima is still a more upscale car then the Altima. Sit in both and you will see that. It may be true that Nissan is positioning the Altima to replace the Maxima as its main mid-sized sedan but the Altima is still no Maxima (now if they took the interior of the Max and dropped it into the Altima then I believe that it could be a really big hit).
  • Options
    jf_spadejf_spade Member Posts: 16
    Congratulations on your new Altima. 19.5 out the door sounds pretty good to me. Did you get it with the convenience package? I looking to buy before the end of the month, but the dealer is looking for a 2.5 S 5-speed with convenience package for me and do a dealer trade. All he has on the lot are automatics. The only 5-speed that's in stock doesn't have the conv. pack. I also want it in silver so I hope he finds it before then end of the month.
  • Options
    bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    and have looked at a few cars for my next lease. The 99 Max has been great, no problem at all. Test driven the IS300, TL-S, Altima, and Maxima. Looked at the WRX and A4 but due to dealer experiences and smaller back seats decided not to look further into those. If I was to get a BMW it would be the 330 ix, but too much $ for me.

The IS300 is small and pricey, but look not as expensive as it is. The Altima is nice, but there are a few things that I don't want to live with. If in your city the price of the Altima and TLS is close, definitely go with the TLS.
    I am likely going with the 2002 Max. Some likes the look, some think it is butt ugly. I tend to like it's aggressive look rather than the TLS's conservative look. I understand in the US the prices for these two can be pretty close. In Canada the difference is about $2,500 US. Both are nice.
  • Options
    I did say you hadn't shopped for a "car" in half a decade. ;-)

If you are price-shopping, save yourself the time and buy a Sonata. It just got a bigger V6 with plenty of torque, and the warranty ought to appease concerns of historically poor reliability. The Optima is cheap but doesn't offer a 5 speed with the V6, and still uses the smaller V6.

It's just not a sports sedan, but you can get it for less than $20k, even loaded up. Other will choose to pay more for sportier sedans, of course.

Consider this - the much lighter Altima makes the same horsepower as the Sequoia.

-juice
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    consider a 2002 Hyundai XG350L. Dealers should be getting them shortly. For about $26,000 MSRP it has the 3.5L V-6, 5-speed automatic with manumatic shifting, ABS/TC, front side airbags, leather, heated seats, sunroof, CD, and more all standard. But go for the loaded L model. Right now Hyundai is offering 0.0 percent financing for up to 60 months on 2001 XG300s.
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I said it before and I'll say it again. The Altima is a VERY nice car, but rather pricey for what you are getting. For those considering the car I would wait until Nissan starts discounting it. Right now, is the time to get a Maxima. After getting our Millenia for $22k I don't see myself paying close to $30K for an Altima.
  • Options
    lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    I just checked your profile and it says that you are looking at the Lexus ES300 or the Infiniti I35. We're talking about the Nissan Altima in here.

From your posts it seems like you have your mind made up on the Honda Accord EXV6. It's a nice car, no doubt, but the car is starting to look really old now... of course, the new model is coming out next year. I could have actually bought this car for $22,700, but decided even at that price I'd rather drive the Altima 3.5 SE w/ cloth for $24000.

If you just want a safe, reliable car..then go ahead and buy the Camcord. But based your brief profile, it seems you don't like to drive just a run of the mill car. Why didn't you buy an Accord in '96 instead of the Maxima? Why buy the Sequoia, unless you really want a big SUV?

Maybe the Altima isn't everything you expected it to be but, it's still better than most midsize sedans for the price.

On a sad note...

Some careless person scraped the left corner of my bumper. I think most of the stuff can be buffed but there is a small dent. What a bummer!!!
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    Ouch... bummer man. I feel your pain. Almost every new car I've ever owned has been dinged in a parking lot by some carless hit and run [non-permissible content removed]. Even my truck was backed into, although judging from the paint marks on my bumper and some broken plastic on the ground (not mine), it gave more then it received... small consolation.
  • Options
    cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    Nissan does not expect the Altima to overtake the big three sedans any time soon... Altima is a nice car, but its not for the average driver so get over it. Nissan wants to market as a performance sedan and they are doing a good job of attracting people who enjoy cars with sporty pretensions.

With that said, the big three sedans are still viewed as "better" values. Let's put it this way.... who here would pick an Impala over the Altima?
  • Options
    jf_spadejf_spade Member Posts: 16
    A dealer called me up today and told me that she found the altima that I wanted (2.5 S 5-speed w/ conveneince package in silver). They're doing a dealer trade for it. They told me that they would flatbed deliver it. The price including the flat bed delivery is 19575 + tax, tag, title (approx. 3.7% over invoice). The car just landed on 20 OCT so it doesn't have alot of miles on it. Good deal or no???
  • Options
    I know why the Accord sells so many cars each year, I should know since I own a 1992 Honda Accord DX, it's simply reputation and a known fact that they make quality, reliable vehicles. Just because a Honda Accord is sold in larger numbers doesn't mean it's the best car out there though, simply put, the Maxima has been said to be more reliable than the Accord, yet it sells way less than the Accord. Also, the reason people have something to say to you about the Toyota SUV you have is the fact that you state mid 20s is too much to pay for a midsize sedan, yet you drive a Toyota Sequoia which cost at least 35K to be comparable with the features of a loaded car? What really makes the Sequoia worth 35K-45K is it the quality of the material? I don't think so. That really doesn't make much sense to me. That's all, no beef or anything like that, I was just wondering...
  • Options
    colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    My husband and I have been looking at the new Altima 2.5 S ,AUTO, NO convenience pkge.
    The car , I feel is overpriced only if you get into the 2.5SL or higher. We have been able to sit in a few models and feel the interior is fine.. but this is coming from someone who's previous car was a (dare I say it, GASP) '96 Plymouth COLT! LOL.
    We are waiting until around next March to HOPEFULLY get a much better price and put a big down payment on it. I hope we can since we are in the NYC area. I read the previous post where someone was bale to swing a $19, 500 out the door price! WHAT area are you in .. that is right up my alley!
    I convinced the hubby to LOOK at the LANCER and the SONATA. The LANCER has a great price, but my husband ruled it out right away since it is too small. It would suit ME fine though.
    The SONATA, while offering alot for the price, had that awful, funky cheap plastic smell. It was so bad I actually got a headache sitting in it.. so that looks like another rule out as well. The new Alty is a gorgeous car no doubt.
  • Options
    Impala? Good point.

I think that at this time 3.7% over invoice is a good deal. If you can wait prices will get better, but it'll take months, not days.

The Lancer is a bit small, try a Galant if you like Mitsus.

-juice
  • Options
    The Altima S, auto usually comes with the convenience package so the ones w/o it will be harder to find. but w/ the lack of options, it should be easier to get a good deal on it.

The Honda Civic is bigger than the Lancer and still has a good price.

It's kind of too bad that you don't want the convenience package, since you get so much, including the cool steering wheel stereo controls, trip computer and the leather wrapped steering wheel (my personal pet requirement on any car that I buy).

Good luck though.
    ---------------------------------

Yeah, my car is officially blemished now....that's life though, just gotta move on. I miss my old J30t now. I didn't care what happened to that car, since I bought it used and it was an older model.
  • Options
    hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    Could someone inform me exactly what is contained with the optional convenience package? Also, what is a representative cost for this package? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    Convenience Package
    Includes 16" alloy wheels, 8-way power driver's seat with manual lumbar, auto on/off headlights, dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors with sun visor extensions, leather-wrapped steering wheel, front passenger's window auto-up, key operated front windows up/down, key fob operated window down, multi-function trip computer with steering wheel controls, AM/FM stereo with CD player, 6 speakers, speed-sensitive audio volume, steering wheel mounted audio controls, Vehicle Security System, engine immobilizer and cargo net
  • Options
    I agree with the people who think that ABS and traction control should come standard w/ every Altima.

This would show Nissan's commitment to safety. Something I think they have been lacking.

If Nissan could build a reputation as being one of the safest cars as well as being the top performing brand, they would sell a lot more cars. They should also make sure to keep the quality to Japanese build quality levels.

Sure they would make less money per each car but the long term gains would certainly be worth it.

Putting ABS and traction control on every car they make would go a long way toward this goal.

The convenience package is $1679 MSRP - $1457 invoice.
  • Options
    I think the Convenience pkg is worth the price Nissan charges for it, and for the most part around here, you can't find many Altima 2.5S models without it. An Altima 2.5S with the Convenience pkg is almost equipped like the SL minus the Leather interior and the Homelink system, besides, the alloy wheels look much better than the hubcabs, but either way, it's still a nice looking car, if only they would fix that darn interior....
  • Options
    brad45brad45 Member Posts: 27
    I have posted many times earlier that I purchased a 2.5S 5sp with a few options Sticker was 18995 and I paid roughly 18000 ~ 600 over invoice. I live in Albany so if you want to do a little traveling you should be able to get a pretty gd deal up here, but prices are usually better near NYC than in Albany due to the higher sales volumes there.

Also my dealer had many 2.5 S w/o convenience package

Good luck you'll love your car!
  • Options
    storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    For colorsofspring, you have the ideal situation now: a glorious new car that already has its first little ding. Now you can live a normal life, parking where you want to park rather than sticking your precious new Altie a quarter mile from the shopping center so no doofus can whip his door open and put a dent in your lovely, virgin new car. This shoud be a service offered by any compassionate dealership. Just before you roll out of their lot with a perfectly unblemished car, they could whack the bumper or plant a ding in the door so you wouldn't have to be paranoid about avoiding that terrible first blemish. :) Seriously, enjoy the new car!
  • Options
    dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    The Altima 3.5, or the Maxima GXE...wich would you buy ? And why? They are close enough in price for comparisons.
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    As I think I said once before, it would be a tough choice. But, for the time being, I'd still have to go for the Maxima. Packed with as much or more goodies as the Altima, for about the same price, and it has gotten pretty much ALL the kinks worked out already. I haven't driven the Altima yet, but I would assume it has some of Nissans typical handling magic. I know the Maxima does. Power is almost a wash between the two, as it should be with only slightly different versions of the same engine. I haven't driven the 6-spd Max so that might make a difference. The Max doesn't look as up to date as the Altima. But, I've always thought the current Max is a very sexy, aggresive, cool looking car (especially the tailend on the SE). IMHO, it has been and continues to be a stlying leader in it's own right... love it or hate it. Of course, a test drive of the Altima could easily turn the tide for me.
  • Options
    cncmancncman Member Posts: 487
    I think we need to put some things in perspective;
    It seems like alot of people are complaining about the price of the altima, and saying it costs $30,000, Well, it can cost high $29,000's with every possible option they make. It seems as though these are the same people talking about how you can get the maxima for less with a higher quality interior etc. I agree, I would get a discounted loaded MAX over a loaded 3.5 SE altima too. But considering the facts, that the altima will (like the camry and accord) Sell mostly 4 cylinders, I am surprised more people aren't talking about that, you get a 175hp 4cylinder that performs comparable to Accord/Camry/Passat V6's, A fully loaded 4 cylinder is around $24K Actually about the same MSRP as the 2001 altimas, so I don't see how this can be a bad value as I think everyone will agree that the new altima is leaps and bounds over the last altima.
    I think that the ones that want a V6 with top notch interior and want good discounts should stop complaining about the altima and look at the maxima. And so far as the altima not being worth what they are selling for, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, so actually, the buying public thinks the altima is worth right around MSRP. And if the altima is not competitive with the CAM/CORDS, why is it that people are lining up to buy altimas at around sticker price and you can get the new camry or accord for around invoice?

Also, folks complaining about the fact that the side airbag/ ABS package is an option on the altima, well standard does not mean FREE! Standard just means everyone pays for it whether they want it or not. SO one way or another you are still paying for it.

As to the maxima sales, it has been the best selling import V6 for the last 17 years, that's not too bad.

Just some facts to keep things in perspective if it helps.
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    IMHO, the 3.5 Altima appears to be a lousy deal in value for price compared to the Maxima and the competition. As for the 2.5 Altima, I can't imagine why anyone would pick an Accord or Camry over it, it's such a good deal.

I'm just disappointed because I was looking forward to the 240HP Altima and the price is just too high for a reasonably equipped car.

And as far as ABS being an option, let's face it - everyone wants ABS these days. It's silly to have it as an option. It's like BMW not equipping their very expensive cars with a CD as standard.
This discussion has been closed.