Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    Funny but I had never considered BusinessWeek a reliable nor knowledgable source of automotive journalism. C'mon - sit in an Altima and then a Camry or Accord (yes, the current 'old' Accord). Knock on the trim - good testure and substantial feel in the Camcords, crappy in the ALtima. The Altima's panels feel thin and hollow. That's pathetic for a car of this price. And compare the switchgear - The Camcords' feel like they'll last forever without breaking during normal use. The Altima's knobs pull off so easily it's scary.

Rather than reading a BusinessWeek or Martha Stewart Living review of the Altima, go to the dealer and see it for yourself.
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    The radio allows you to mix AM and FM presets, allowing 3 sets (A,B,C) of 6 selections each. So on the A set you can preset all FM if you want, then on the B set all AM. We have a mix of AM and FM on our A set; on the previous Altima radio you saved a set on FM, then switched to AM and saved a set there.

Sorry if this is making no sense - basically you have 18 choices and it will take you to whatever you set, mixing up AM and FM if that is how you programmed it. It's working consistently on our radio, I kind of like it since we only have 6 stations we listen to anyway and this doesn't require me to switch the radio from FM to AM, which is quite an effort you know, I figure I'll easily save 25 seconds a year with this radio!:)
  • snshan25snshan25 Member Posts: 4
    I have always found acquiring a new car about as much fun as going to the dentist. I had another experience today that reinforces my distaste for the whole process. I thought I was going to be driving a new Altima soon. Alas, it is not to be. Yesterday, after calling the Nissan dealer to inform him of my intention to lease an Accord EX V6, he offered to beat the Honda deal. Based on the unsolicited Nissan offer, I cancelled the deal made on the Accord. I even drove to another nearby Nissan dealer to gloat over the price that he refused to even come close to. He told me it was too good to be true. Know what? The second dealer was right. When I went to sign the papers, the salesman gave me a credit ap. then went to the sales managers office. He was gone for at least 15 minutes. When he came back, he had a grim look on his face. He explained to me that they had "used the wrong numbers" to calculate the payment and couldn't do the deal for what he had quoted me. When I asked him how much more it would be, he said "You don't want to know". I finally got him to admit that the actual number would be close to $90 more than I had agreed to. To give him credit though, he did look up and dial the number of the Honda dealer so I could reinstate that deal. Anyway, I still think the Alty is a nice car, but I'll be over on the Accord forum for the next three years or so.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    My brother has a 2000 911. I found the interior to be be fairly bland ( frankly, I think the Lexus 300 IS has a nicer interior). But then, the interior is not something I'm particularly attuned to. It's last on my priority list for my next car.
  • mcpsdna2mcpsdna2 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know of any independent safety tests done on the new altima? Is it comparable in safety to the accord? Also, does anyone have any comments on the durability of the altima? I raise the issue because, after test driving an accord and altima, the accord felt more solid. Overall, I did like the altima better though. Thanks.
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    I want something to unload after 2 or 3 years, at which point I'll unload it, so I'm considering leasing. The cars I'm considering are the alty, the passat, saab 9-3, and a friend's TL that he's going to unload soon (it's a '99). I think the TL is out, as it doesn't have a split folding rear seatback, which I find very useful. So..., I like the alty the best, but will probably go with either the passat or the saab on a lease.

The VW has great money factors and residuals, and their standard bumper to bumper is 50K, and I drive 15-16K a year, so I think the VW would be a much better bargain (although I haven't actually checked it out yet). The Saab is a nice car, fun to drive with also a better warranty than the alty, and they offer 4K lease cash on the 9-3 I'm interested in. The maxima is out as I couldn't stand to wake up in the morning and look at her (not comely to my eyes), and the Honda Accord styling might put me to sleep at highway speeds, which wouldn't be a good thing. Ditto the Camry. As for the Accord coupe, if those tailights weren't worse than the Maxima's, I'd give it a try. Someone please teach some of the Japanese brands to build a body with more flash than a Kenmore washing machine. Fortunately, Nissan seems to be catching on, as evidenced by the Alty and the upcoming G35 and Zcar.

THe one person who thought they could lease an Alty at a good price was rudely surprised it wasn't to be. Has anyone had any luck leasing one at an attractive price point? Someone on the leasing board asked about the money factors for the Alty, so I guess they'll be posted there soon. I'm interested in the 2.5S w/convenience pkg, microfilter, and possibly the ABS/airbag combo. Definitely no leather for me--being used to the leather in a family member's luxury car, I'm spoiled and don't want it unless it is outstanding, which it is not in the alty.

Hope this post makes sense...we just waddled in after a Halloween party...
  • snshan25snshan25 Member Posts: 4
    I'm the one who walked out of the Nissan dealer yesterday after learning the "true" Nissan lease rates. I can tell you one thing. Judging by the amount of new Altimas that I've seen on the road (3) and the lack of any customers other than myself on a beautiful fall Saturday morning, Nissan's going to have to change something if they want to move some cars. On the other hand, at the Honda dealer that I eventually leased from, you had to wait for a salesman. The showroom was bustling. If I were Nissan, I'd be very nervous.
    BTW, you're picky about styling, but you're considering the Saab 9-3? What's up with that? The Accord that I leased was completely uninspiring style-wise until I saw the payment. Now she's one fine looking piece of metal. Just call me "Shallow Hal".
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    I'm a 2.4S owner (8-days and 1,600 miles - about my weekly average). I shopped Toyota, Honda, VW, Chrysler, Ford, and GM. I've owned SAAB, BMW, Toyota, Chrysler, Ford, and GM products. The Altima has proven to be comfortable (noise, seating, ergonomics, power). So far, it delivers 32.8MPG on average (a high of 33.8MPG).

People approach me and are surprised that it doesn't cost more. People are surprised that it gets the mileage that it does. It really doesn't matter as to what others think, I'm the owner and I'm satisfied.

Why did I buy it -- It meets my needs! If I had read and heeded the mulitude of posts above whining about tire ratings and "cheap" interior, I would've cheated myself of an automobile that delivers what it promises.

I didn't want the 3.5SE because of the higher price and 17" low-profile tires. I can only imagine the punishment those tires would've dealt me every week. I don't want leather. The S model is everything that I want.

I expect that many will post to this note bashing my input. Who cares! If you don't like the new Altima, go somewhere else! Frankly, I'm tired of the whining from some people!

Hopefully, Edmunds will begin an Altima Owners page. This is a great service that I enjoy with one of my other vehicles.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I don't think anyone on this site purposely knocks the interior of the Altima because they want to or the hate the car.I looked at it last night and I'm really worried about the interior. take your hand and push the roof, It feels like cardboard. The cabin light switch, if you push that too hard it appears it will fall off. Imagine kids turning on that light . They will pull it off. The switches that turn on the map lights are What you found in the Korean cars. The sun visors are so thin they feel like wafers. Look along the side of the driver's door and you can practically pull off the lining. It's like elastic. The thing is can the interior survive 2 years of heavy use.I drive 20,000 miles per year and I want a durable car.I love every other thing about the Altima. I believe if Nissan Monitors this site and do something about the interior they will have a huge winner in 2003.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I agree with you on the fact that the new Altima is one great automobile. And I LOVE the styling, but I don't think people would be complaining so much if Nissan hadn't started this trend of "having the tactile material of an Audi" and then giving us a car with worse material in some places than the previous Altima, which was not as nice as the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry in the first place. I personally want to buy a new Altima, but I think I am going to wait until next year when the new Accord comes out, to see if Nissan will make any changes to the Altima interior wise, plus I hear the new Accord coupe will have about 240HP. Nissan has a great product on their hands, it's just that Ghosn was too cheap to give a very nice car, a very high quality interior, I mean, the interior isn't really all that bad now, it's just that, for the price, the interior should be better, I sat in an Accord LX, have driven the new Accord SE, and I've sat in a new Camry XLEV6, all of them kill Nissan in the interior workmanship and quality department. I believe many here would give up about 20hp for a better designed interior with better plastics and greater workmanship.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    I also posted this under Maxiam Sedans
    Altima 3.5 se with abs and trac control at $23,445.00------Or Maxima SE at $24,000.00
    (the prices are carsdirect qoute) Now at these prices , without changing anything about cars wich is better deal. Maxima comes with abs , but no trac. cntrl.. Altima has rear indepentent suspension, which the Maxima does not. Maxima has new xenon headlight, Altima not. Every time I come up with a reason to go with one I find something I like better on the other. ARGHHHHHHHH! I ,like others, have a hard time (right or wrong) justifying spending Maxima prices on an Altima. The Altima is comanding (at present) near 800 over invoice, while the Maxima only 300 over invoice. Also would anyone know of any incentives Nissan might be giving come Novemebr on the Maxima?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Give up about 20 hp for a better designed interior? Wait for the new Mazda 6 then. It has 220hp and a better designed interior. Look: http://www.km77.com/marcas/mazda/6_02/gra/10.asp
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    OK, to all those that said that the Accord would have the same HP (~240) as the Altima here is a little known fact...
    The 2003 Accord WILL NOT HAVE 240HP!

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46115

The link in the first post does not work anymore so here is a new link to the article in question.
    http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=417

Just so you know. :)
  • jbhogenjbhogen Member Posts: 21
    Just drove the new Alty 2.5S 5-speed, my first impressions.

New Altima 2.5L engine runs incredibly quietly, had plenty of power for highway driving. Seemed like a V6.

I see where people are coming from on the interior, but the car I looked at was stickering for under 21K, and I'm not sure now many cars in this price range have that much better interiors (Volkswagons are are much nicer, too bad adults can't fit into the back seat). Particularly curious was a cell phone holder that could have held a loaf of bread.

Steering was ok, not as good believe it or not as my Mazda Protege. Seemed a little over boosted. As I didn't get to drive the 3.5L, I didn't notice much torque steer.

Suspension was nice, felt the road without feeling it in my kidneys (a principle complaint about the above mentioned ProES).

Road noise was excellent. They must have spent a lot of time on this one, I could barely hear the engine and the tires were quiet as well.

Basically, its a winner--as evidenced by how quickly they were leaving the lot.
    bluesky99:

"As for the Accord coupe, if those tailights weren't worse than the Maxima's, I'd give it a try."

????

I know that's YO and not MO, but hold your horses there dude. The Accord Coupe is one of the nicer cars out there, espcially the rear. Those taillights are sharp and tight. Also, and it might not be everyone's flavor of the week, but I think aftermarket Altezzas on the coupe, leaving the mid band as is or body-colored, even enhances this car without making it ricey (like on the Altima, IMHO).

My hope is that when the next gen Accord comes out next year, they leave the coupe as is for another year. This car looks as good now as it did 3 years ago. SHARP. My neighbor bought a black one loaded to the scalp, with ivory leather. He rarely drives it and cleans it every other day. He agreed to give me the first chance to buy it when he unloads it. To which I say, o yeah.
    amazing2u:

Dude you need some better facts than from an Edmunds forum (no offense to the forum peeps) and a site like Autonews. How do they KNOW that Honda's 3.2 won't produce 240HP? They didnt even specify a #.

Tom (last name unknown) from American Honda already said that the next Accord will beat the Altima in HP and Torque.

And check this: the current Altima with manual does 0-60 in about 6.9 to 7 secs. The current old model Accord does that in 7.6 secs WITH AN AUTOMATIC and 40 fewer HP. That's just about a half-sec diff b/w the two. The next Accord will be pretty incredible - anyone trying to discredit them will get a black eye next fall. Even if by chance the Accord comes out with less than 240 (say, 230), it will run past the Altima. Honda's engineering will see to that. If you doubt me, ...

Check this 2: The Infiniti Q45 has greater HP than the Lexus LS430 but guess what? I'll leave that to you to research.

FasterThanU
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    How about this one...

Why would Honda SHOOT itself in the foot by puting a 240+ horsepower in a car that cost's less than there own Acura TL? Humm??

Maybee 225HP or 230HP, But 240+... Think about it.
    Basic marketing dude! :)

Are you one of the ppl that is waiting for an Accord Type R? lol!

BTW, THIS IS NOT A HONDA discussion. :P
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Motorweek got the 3.5 to do it in 5.9 seconds with the quarter mile at 100 mph. Automatic transmissions are for soccer moms.
  • mgh_1mgh_1 Member Posts: 22
    The AUTOMATIC Altima may come in at 6.9 to 7 seconds (though I seriously doubt it will be that slow - more like 6.7), but the 5 speed makes it to 60 in 6.3 per Road and Track and Motorweek got to 60 in 5.9 seconds.

The Lexus and Q45 numbers are about the same due to gearing. Taller gearing in the Q. The Q still makes it to 60 in 6.0 seconds per the last Car and Driver if I am not mistaken. That is actually faster than the previous comparison test that you are referring to by about .3 tenths. Not far at all off their claim of 5.9. Reasonable.

As Amazing2u was saying, Honda making the new Accord 245 or 250 horses and the TL-S at 260 doesn't make much sense at all. After or right before a redesign of the TL, maybe so, but that doesn't mean that competition sleeps in the meantine.

As for Tom (don't know his last name), maybe the new Accord will have more, maybe it won't. Just saying that the reputable automobile magazines and sites don't just pull numbers out of thin air. They usually get their information from sources inside the manufacturers.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    ...if the car only makes 200hp, I am still going to wait until it is released before I buy anything. I'd be betraying my family's long tradition of Honda lovers if I didn't. I believe that if the car doesn't make 240 hp, it will at least make 225 hp, just like the current
    Acura TL-P.

Also, the Accord coupe comments, I agree, it's the best design of the Accord coupe ever, for once it doesn't look like an Accord sedan minus four doors, the only reason I can't buy one is because they are just to small in the backseat for my things, and I just don't feel right sitting in a coupe. Might have to give the next one a try next year. I can't wait to see this new Accord though.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Published test results for 240 HP Altima 3.5 SE 5-speed manual have been 0-60 mph in UNDER 6.30 seconds. The Motor Trend test of the 2002 255 HP Infiniti I-35 Sport automatic was 7.0 seconds 0-60 mph. The I-35 was quickest! The Nissan V-6 appears to be doing its job well!
  • nafrong00nafrong00 Member Posts: 7
    This is my first post to this forum though I have followed it closely. I went to the local Nissan dealer yesterday and noticed an odd thing. Back in late Sept to early Oct, I went to the dealer to check out the new Altima. They had just gotten their first shipment of 3 Altimas (one 3.5 and two 2.5's). At the time there were 9 2002 Maximas on the lot. I had noticed them being there for some time since I regularly drive by the dealer. There were several people myself included checking out the Altima but there seemed to be little or no interest from anyone in the Maxima. Yesterday I went to the same dealer to test drive the Altima and found 12 Altimas on the lot including 2 of the 3 cars from the original shipment (the 3.5 and one of the two 2.5's. Surprisingly there was only a single 2002 Maxima there and it looked like it had just arrived (still had plastic everywhere). Where did all those Maxima's go? The salesman said they sold them all. Hmmm.

Anyway, I drove 2 of the Altimas a 3.5se 5 speed and a 2.5sl auto. Both handled well though the steering felt a little too light to me. In addition I noticed that on a brief drive on some potholed highways that even minor ruts or holes seemed to change the vehicle's direction. The engine on the 2.5 auto was fairly quiet but power seemed just ok to me especially when starting out at the bottom of a hill. The 3.5 was a blast and is reason enough to buy this car IMO. There was some torque steer but not too bad. I read a lot about the interior of this car being substandard but after the first look back in Sept I just thought those people were being picky. However yesterday I took a closer look and now I think that there is some merit to this. The door panels in particular seem cheap. Also I didn't care for the black leather, the texture is a lot like the tarp I use to cover my gas grill in the winter. Even the cloth is only so so. Kinda feels like terry cloth to me. The Blonde leather is better so I will go for that. Finally out of the 4 cars I sat in 2 had trim problems. I actually had a piece of plastic on the rear passenger door pull pop out of place (I popped it back in) when I tried to shut the door. Still the 3.5se was such a blast to drive and great looking that I would buy the car anyway! Sorry for the long post.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I truly found this talk of and about mere tenths of a second and 5% HP increases in a family sedan discussion quite silly and pointless!

Anything over 150-160 is already more than adequate with a full load of passengers and some stuff in the back. Discussing and comparing cars within a couple of dozen HP of each other in the over-200HP segment strikes me as childish playground boasting games!

And car companies are playing off and profitting from this mentality!

I feel that handling and comfort, and overall build quality and reliability are WAY more important than a few HP.

My $.02
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I am glad to see some realism on the basic facts about a Honda and an Altima, coming out here on this forum. Just what I had been saying all along.

maxamillion: you'd wait till next year for the '03 Honda before buying, eh ? IMO, that is a smart move. If the '03 Honda gets a 220+hp, that will be a real winner, when you throw in its quality interior materials, solid build quality, great fit and finish and undeniable great re-sale. It will beat the '02 Alty hands down. Unless... Nissan were to take input from forum like this instead of BusinessWeek and others praising it to high heavens, without pointing out the obvious.... The obvious ? It's been well debated here already...

nafrong: where have the Maxima gone ? Sold, of course. People are already realising the greater "value" in the quality workmanship of the Max over the shoddy materials in the high priced Alty ! and savvy buyers are going with the better put together.

ahossa: you captured the essence of several of us who have looked at the Alty, svelt new design and all, and have come to similar conclusions based on similar observations. maxamillion put it very well when he said: "... Nissan has a great product on their hands, it's just that Ghosn was too cheap to give a very nice car, a very high quality interior.."

Me I am going to wait till the '03 versions of the Alty and Honda come out. If Nissan does the right thing, I'd want the Alty 3.5 SE with manual tranny, my kinda car..., if the price is right. Otherwise, I just might buy the old-reliable Honda and save a little bundle instead...
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I bought the Altima. With the new Accord coming out and the new Mazda 6, things should get interesting. Haven't seen the new Accord yet but the Mazda 6 looks real sharp. http://www.km77.com/marcas/mazda/6_02/galeria.asp
    Why can't a $25-35,000 family sport sedan (Altima 3.5 SE, Maxima SE, and I-35 Sport) have 240 or 255 HP? They get decent EPA ratings of around 20/26. Better than hordes of SUVs and minivans with far less HP! And they are smaller and lighter!

Before going after serious sport sedans, I say ban any and all behemouth, gas guzzling unsafe to drive at speed pickups, SUVs, and minivans. Just this afternoon I watched a guy in his 2002 Ford Explorer pull out of a gas station like a bat out of Hades. He was accelerating and turning at same time. He came darn close to tipping that SUV over. He looked a little ashen white as he sped by me in the opposite direction. Wouldn't happen in any 240 or 255 HP Nissan sport sedan.

Power, performance, handling, ride, build quality, fuel economy, and reliability are NOT mutually exclusive. A good car in this price range should deliver all or nearly all. Think BMW 3 Series does a good job in this regard. It sells well with little or no discounting.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    You can add FWD cars to your list also. www.rearwheeldrive.org
    FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD. Too many nice and great FWDers out there. Even sport sedans. Acura 3.2TL Type S, for one. Didn't you say something recently about Volvo being Ford's affordable worldwide premium car? Isn't the S80 FWD? Didn't it replace the RWD 960? Saab also FWD. Good Audis. And more.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I really respect your car knowledge for a young guy. Yes, the Acura 3.2TL is a great value, even though it's Accord underpinnings are short term. I don't know about the S80 with it's GM tranny. That's a straight six turned sideways and the serviceability of that arrangement bothers me. If you are going to keep a car for a long time, it could be expensive. Volvo had a great record with the old RWD arrangement and the Aisan-Warner automatics. We'll have to see on that one.
    The Altima 2.5 seems like a great value but they sure want blood for the 3.5. I always liked the Maxima a lot more.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    My comments re the rear suspension on the Maxima were made to ateixeira who stated that he drove the Maxima "back to back with a Camry and a Passat, and it didn't seem to ride and handle as well". The Maxima, in any version, handles better then either of those two cars. Maybe my comments should have been more along the lines of; The Maxima SE, which has a non-independant rear suspension, handles better then most cars in its class. It handles better then the Camry, better then the Accord, better then the Passat (all in V6 models).

You and others tend to dismiss the Max's handling simply because of its rear suspension while the handling of the Max continues to receive praise from the press. Take a look at an article here on Edmunds http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/45264/article.html. They state that "Handling is precise with good feedback coming through the leather-wrapped wheel, and so neutral was the Maxima's behavior while tackling the twisties that it was hard to tell which wheels were propelling the car. Given the car's athletic handling, one would expect a much firmer ride than that delivered by the SE's supple suspension, which absorbed all but the most severe bumps in the road." Another article here at Edmunds is http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/46808/article.html where they state "Responsive steering, flat cornering and neutral behavior when unraveling a twisty road make one realize that a ripping sport sedan needn't cost $40,000". Yet another article praising the Max's handling is http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/00maxima.htm where they state "It is also the back roads that will reveal the excellent cornering ability of this car. Without getting into the technical details of the suspension improvements, it is enough to say the Maxima is rock solid in the corners." I could probably find many other articles that praise the handling of the Maxima but people like you would probably still dismiss it as a sedan with a minivan's suspension.

• shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I can honestly say that the Maxima is just too soft for my tast. I drove the 3.5 Auto and I was very impressed. That engine is very smooth and strong. When you are on the highway and you tap the gas you get an imediate response from the wheels. The maxima felt like there was more of a lag. Roaming around the twisties I felt very at home in the Altima. It was tight and responsive. On the highway the torque and acceleration was wonderful. Passing is as easy as tapping the foot. The car mags are right though on the highway there was a bit of a straigh line dead zone in the steering. However at 100 MPH that thing is smooth as silk. The one thing that reall bothered me is that as a passenger I couldn't see ANY of the instruments. Maybe that's just the Type A in me. (GRIN)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    <<Tom (last name unknown) from American Honda already said that the next Accord will beat the Altima in HP and Torque.>>

Honda with high torque? LOL. What's next, a Honda that has a V8? (little dig on Honda's pathetic "luxury" division that offers a FWD V6 flagship)

<<And check this: the current Altima with manual does 0-60 in about 6.9 to 7 secs.>>

Where did you get those numbers? Every review I've seen puts the manual 3.5SE at 60 in 6.30 or lower.

< The current old model Accord does that in 7.6 secs WITH AN AUTOMATIC and 40 fewer HP.>>

Yeah over a second difference. Oh, and it's an Automatic. You can't and won't be able to get an Accord with a V6 and stick. Honda has no reason to release a stick model as they appeal to the middle-of-the-road sedan buyer, not the performance minded.

<< That's just about a half-sec diff b/w the two. The next Accord will be pretty incredible - >>
    New math. ?

<<anyone trying to discredit them will get a black eye next fall. Even if by chance the Accord comes out with less than 240 (say, 230), it will run past the Altima. Honda's engineering will see to that. If you doubt me, ...>>

I doubt you. Honda can work wonders with its cute little inline 4s but I just don't think Honda's all that when it comes to making engines with the torque. VTEC's a neat gimmick though.

ashutoshsm:

<<Anything over 150-160 is already more than adequate with a full load of passengers and some stuff in the back.>>

I don't know how or where you drive but for me, and my current car, more than the driver slows the vehicle down. I've got 155HP and nearly the same torque. Yet, the car with a full compliment of passengers does no zip to 80 on a freeway merge. For my money, anything less than 200 is useless.

<< Discussing and comparing cars within a couple of dozen HP of each other in the over-200HP segment strikes me as childish playground boasting games!>>

Or is smacks of people who like to enjoy their cars and not be mere passengers.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Shoot me your email address. RE; Drew
    bradshawg2@aol.com
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    of course 240HP is useless, if you are looking for just a people mover. the Altima is supposed to be fun to drive. Granted it's not rear-wheel drive but it's still plenty fun to drive.

The acceleration is exhilarating... I took a couple of friends out for a 'fun' drive. Both of them almost wet their pants. The V-6 is unbelievable...we didn't know it would have so much pull at 80mph.

the maxima is a great value... i just got the brochure, and the interior is very nice.

it's kind of funny though, because I remember in 2000 when people were saying that the material in the 2000 Max was a grade below the '99.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'd like to see Nissan offer two things: AWD and a wagon bodystyle.

Think about it - Honda and Toyota have left this niche empty, in order to sell profitable SUVs. The market has been left for Subaru and Audi for years.

We took a road trip this weekend in our sedan, and have to leave several items we would normally take with us at home. Our stroller alone takes up half the trunk. No wonder families flock to the wagon bodystyles SUVs offer.

Wagons can be good looking, too. Look at the Protege5, the Lexus Sportcross, and the Mazda 6 wagon. You could even argue they look better than the sedans.

AWD would kill any torque steer, offer all season traction, and it would make the perfect excuse to get all those folks out of their view-blocking monster trucks. I think we'd all like that.

-juice
  • jimsxnjimsxn Member Posts: 108
    I used to think same as you...being a great proponent of cars over SUVs. But a little birdie told me that AWD adds very little value except in extreme conditions and accounts for significant decrease in performance due to increase in weight. If you look at the performance of 165 HP Sube sedans or 180HP Audi 1.8T, you would understand. There has to be another way of cutting down torque steer.

As far as wagons are concerned...I am all with you.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    AWD and a wagon? That would be heaven. And I bet they'd sell well, too. Are you listening, Nissan? On the Honda Accord site the buzz is that there might be an Accord wagon coming, but it is at least as much wishful thinking as prediction. After all the SUVs and minivans seen on our roads, a wagon looks downright sexy. If Nissan made a good wagon--preferably AWD--and really took safety issues seriously, it would have a lot going for it. People have been willing to pay incredible prices for Volvo wagons that then were a nightmare to own. Someone is going to come out with a nice-sized Japanese station wagon, and it might as well be Nissan.
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    It is apparent from your post that you don't have kids.

You said:
    "Sell it as a safety issue. An mother-to-be will love that. Turn the suv safety issue on its head. Tell her she doesn't really want a poorly accelerating, poorly braking, sloppy handling tippy mobile that guzzles gas and money to boot. That would be dangerous and uneconomical as well.
    You need to start saving up if you're going to have a family. SUVs don't just typically cost more to buy, they also cost more to fuel, maintain, and insure."

From this I gather you have not looked at the cost of insuring an SUV. My wife has a Sequoia. For arguments sake, say it cost $40K. I drive a '98 Camry, which cost $22K in June of 1998, now worth maybe 6-8K. The difference in costs to insure, 26$ per year. If I didn't have collision coverage, the Sequoia would be 400$ per year CHEAPER than my Camry. Apparently, the people in the insurance business think her Sequoia is a hell of a lot safer to be in than my Camry.

You said:
    "If she's still balking on the size issue, bring some big bags and a baby stroller (borrow them if you have to) to the nearest dealership and show her how easily they all fit in the Altima's big trunk. Demonstrate with a car seat how there is plenty of room to maneuver it in and out of the spacious back seat."

Have you done this? What kind of car seat do you have? When we put my daughter's Graco Coachrider in the middle of the back seat of my Camry, there is not enough room on either side to fit an adult for a ride longer than a run to the supermarket. I have not been inside the new Altima, but I cannot fathom it being a hell of a lot bigger than my Camry. And in terms of the trunk, pack up not just the stroller, but throw in her pack-n-play, the diaper bag, the clothes bag, the toy bag, your suitcase, your wife's suitcase, the toiletry bag, the gifts for grandma and the fruitcake for dessert. See how much room is left then. I know it because I have had to bring my daughter to Grandmas house in the Camry. My wife had to sit with the fruitcake on the floor the whole way. Can it be done, absolutely. But it sucks. Especially when the baby starts screaming for a bottle and her bottles were stupidly packed in the bag deepest in the trunk!

Then you said:
    "I'm not sure why everyone's convinced they need suv, minivan, or even a wagon just because they have a kid. Actually, I do know why. It's because the auto industry has them convinced of this. If you're going to have several kids, yeah you will need something with more seating room, but otherwise, c'mon. It's really a matter of want, not need. Yeah, maybe it's a little easier with the extra size, but look at all of the negative trade-offs. Heck, my folks raised three boys with nothing more than midsized sedans. I don't remember complaining about a lack of room."

Exactly. My parents Torino wagon could fit a pool table in the back. But they also didn't have carseat laws, backseat shoulder belt laws, booster seats and all the other crap that we have to deal with today.

Lastly, you said:
    "I do remember having some fun driving a few of those sedans doin' stuff that would have put me upside down by the side of the road had they been suv's. I'm with you on this one, behind you 100%. Stick to your guns, then give me the courage to do the same with my wife!"

Exactly, try and pass that by your wife, and she'll chew you up like last night's dinner. Although it may be a way to guarantee that I won't have to be the one to drop her off at daycare anymore...

It sounds to me like your post to the I don't like SUV's board was mistakenly put here.

Crapgame
    Best way to compare IRS vs non-IRS is to use the same platform. Just read all the reviews comparing the IRS Mustang Cobra to the non-IRS Mustang GT. There is a huge difference.

There are too many factors, including highly subjective ones, and too many inherent differences between the cars to objectively compare the Maxima's handling to a Camry or Accords. Are we talking base model or sport? Manual or automatic? With or without TC? TC on or off? Size and weight differ. They have different tires. And different suspension set ups.

A much more aggressively set up Maxima SE 6-speed manual with LSD will likely have better objective handling results (skidpad and slalom) than a base Accord or Camry V-6 automatic. But the real difference would be between a Maxima with and without IRS. Guess Altima 3.5 SE is closest standin, but it has different, less aggressive tires!

Think this is why Infiniti G35 is going to IRS. Lack of IRS really stands out in a serious Sport Sedan! Can't find too many besides Maxima and Nissan did it due to lack of funds in mid-1990s. De-contenting the suspensions really changed the beast. The 1990-1994s were sport sedans.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    go down to your VW or Subaru dealer :) Nissan used to have a Maxima wagon... hardly a seller. I doubt that you'll see a wagon from Nissan in the next few years....
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I am not sure that the topic you are talking about is related purely to Altima, but it is interesting anyway. I have 2 kids of 11 and 6 years old and haven't seen yet the need of anything bigger than a good sedan. I needed some more room when I was moving, but it doesn't happen too often lately, so renting a cargo van solves a problem. I agree that with a carseat in the middle of a rear bench you can't fit adult there. But you always can put a seat to the side. I am talking about space only, not safety. If you have more than one kid, some of them will be close to a door anyway. Also I can't understand why anybody going to grandma should bring all kids "equipment" with them? We go camping/hiking quite a lot and I always could fit all my stuff into trunk of my Altima 98, which is smaller than 02.
    It is not that I don't agree with you. I am just trying to understand why people NEED a van or SUV to carry less than 3 kids to school or any other activities. Are you willing to create a separate topic for this? I would be interesting to see opinions. I might be missing something.
    Dont be such a punk. I wasn't even talking to you and you're a punk.

Good to see you were able to address almost every one of my points and conveniently left out others. Honda and Toyota can get more out of less with their cars. How do you explain the Lexus LS430 beating the Q45 in 0-60 with less HP? The easy answer is better gearing, but the real answer is better engineering.

As for Honda - they concentrate on I4s because they're more efficient, and if you think getting 120HP per liter is not a great engineering achievement, then let's see Nissan do it.

Honda's V8 is coming out in the next RL and NSX. Sure, a V6 in the RL is underachieving, but that's soon to be remedied. If you think Honda can only build I4s, you're ignorant.
  • crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 43
    I was replying to a prior poster. This argument has been completely hashed out in the "I don't like SUV's...." topic. Among the spewing and trolling in there are a few worthwhile posts. But to keep it brief, I'll just add the following:

I will not put a car seat on the side seat of a sedan. In my wife's Seq? Possibly, but I wouldn't like it. At this point, we only have one child, but when the next comes along, the first one's booster seat will go into the middle of the third row. When we go to grandmas house (Grandma does not have a child-friendly house) everything that could possibly be needed goes. You've heard of Murphy's Law? Well, Murphy lives with me. So we have to bring everything. And I mean everything. We managed a couple times in the Camry before we got the Seq., but we were packed like sardines, and everytime you hit the brakes, diapers and bottles etc. went flying around the cabin. So is the SUV essential, absolutely not.

To me, what it boils down to is safety. Speaking from experience in frequent commuting through the metro NYC area, drivers are a lot quicker to cut me off in my Camry than they are to cut me off when I drive the Seq. My insurance company says my Seq is safer for my family. And if my wife is going to be hit by some kid flying around in some souped up rice-rocket, then I want more steel around her to give her the best odds I can. Them's the absolute truth.
    What you give up in a straight line you more than make up for in better traction, more neutral handling, and no torque steer. I'm referring to full-time AWD systems, though, not part-time 4WD.

240hp is more than enough, maybe even too much for FWD w/open differential. Despite the Altima's too-light steering, the wheel still tugs when you turn and accelerate. AWD would tame it so that you could apply that power effectively in just about any situation.

At least give us a limited slip differential. The cheaper Spec V gets it. Traction control is another alternative. But neither does all that AWD does.

As for wagons, times have changed. Remember, people are spoiled by all the space in their SUVs, and a sedan may be a hard sell for someone that could haul a dish washer home in the box. That Maxima wagon was a box on wheels. New wagons are far more stylish.

Passat has 170hp-190hp, AWD, but not the reliability you expect from Nissan. Subaru has 165hp-212hp and is really the only other option. You guys don't think a 240hp wagon styled to excite could win some market share for Nissan?

Look at what AWD+big power has done for Subaru. The WRX has helped the Impreza increase sales 200%. I'm sure Nissan would be more than happy to see the Altima suffer the same fate!

-juice
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    I think the reason wagons have not sold in the past was because they were ugly (box on wheels) and everyone wanted an SUV. Now is the time. Make it a sylish sport wagon (really a 5 door hatchback). The WRX wagon and the Saab 9-3 and the sportcross are good examples (although the Saab is a nightmare mechanically). I would by one in a minute. The are so much more useful.
    But lets have manual transmissions and good V-6s available. Dont put everyone in a "category".
    I would prefer FWD or RWD. AWD sucks up too much gas. They still have work to do before i buy into that.
    My guess is the stylish Protege5 wagon will outsell its sedan cousin. We'll see.

OK, RWD is fine with me, at least for those not in the snow belt. G35 looks good.

-juice
    Point is taken. But I am wondering if SUV collided with a SUV is any safer than sedan vs sedan. If not, then you just take a some part of a hazard out of equation. Plus you can't ignore 18 wheelers anyway. What do you think?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Very mature. Regardless...

<<Dont be such a punk. I wasn't even talking to you and you're a punk.>>

It's an open forum. You want to carry on a private dialogue, do so via e-mail, otherwise accept other people will respond to your postings.

<< Honda and Toyota can get more out of less with their cars. How do you explain the Lexus LS430 beating the Q45 in 0-60 with less HP? The easy answer is better gearing, but the real answer is better engineering. >>

This is proven by...oh, no proof. You prefer Honda and Toyota. To each his own.

<<As for Honda - they concentrate on I4s because they're more efficient,>>

Actually, it's their bread and butter. Think about it. How many USDM Hondas sell with V6s or higher (if Honda released a V*, lol)? A marginal portion of the Accords sell with V6s and you've got the Minivan. Over at Honda's "luxury" division they sell quite a few V6s, but I think even you would agree that the majority of Honda's revenues come from cars pushed by I4s - RSX, Civic, Accord, Prelude.

<< and if you think getting 120HP per liter is not a great engineering achievement, then let's see Nissan do it.>>

Who said Honda had poor engineers? I actually praised their engineering skill, "Honda can work wonders with its cute little inline 4s."

<<Honda's V8 is coming out in the next RL and NSX.>>

We'll see. At this moment it's vaporware.

<< Sure, a V6 in the RL is underachieving, but that's soon to be remedied.>>

After close to 15 years of offering a "luxury" division without a RWD, V* car. Wow, on the ball.

<< If you think Honda can only build I4s, you're ignorant. >>

Never said that either. You should respond to what's WRITTEN. :)
    Where did I insult you personally? Thin skin you have.

Anyway, you got one thing right - I prefer Hondas and Toyotas but if Nissan had gotten everything right in the Altima, I'd pull for it. Make no mistake, its performace numbers are great for a family sedan, but look at the other factors - quality and price, and it's a tough sell in its segment. If Nissan thinks performance alone will sell (aside from its Toyota-derivative styling), they're wrong. So far all I've seen out of the Altima is a poorly-conceived marketing campaign just like the Q45's.

Sure Acura is lacking in a RWD V8 car - but look at it this way. The original Q was a performace machine, but got killed in the market. Infiniti's only decent seller is the I35, and its new Q is doing badly. The TL is the #2 luxury seller (second only to the Town Car - go figure), beating Lexus, BMW and M-B. So market forces play by a set of rules that Nissan/Infiniti are not playing to very well. And I like an underdog - but not an underachieving one.
    I don't know guys if you saw this http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bm/ccoy02-2.htm. What I don't get is that 2.5 Altima makes 0-100kmh in 9.4s, same as Protege 5. It was the case for 98-01 Altima's. 2.5L should be faster. Does anybody know any official numbers for 2.5L Altima?
This discussion has been closed.