Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    yeah I hope no one will show up at your store, or they might waste your time.
  • cncmancncman Posts: 487
    Actually, you can get the SE with a sunroof and cloth seats, either the site was missposted or it was missread. THis is how I see everything, I agree that for around $29k I would not get the SE-V6 altima loaded out, I would prefer the Maxima or other cars mentioned, but I would say the same thing about the camry which lists for even more than the altima loaded out. Nissan, like toyota expects to sell mainly the 4 cylinders and if you look at a loaded SL altima for around $23-24K, about the same MSRP as a loaded GLE for 2001, I think it is a heck of a value. it's bigger than the CAMCORDS with more room, it's more powerfull, I think better looking, has more standard features and available features for less money. So far as the hard plastics, the camry has the same hard palstics in the lower dash area, the upper dash area is not really softer plastic but vinyl covered padding, the kind that can rip fairly easily. I agree it feels nicer, but when I drive, my hands are usually on the wheel not the dash. And there have been several people complaining about toyotas "GM like" interior. I just don't see a huge difference there, plus Nissan has a great reputation for excellent mechanics, fantastic reliability, low maintenance, class leading performance. it's quiet, handles fantastic, and has gobs of power. And like someone else said, look at and compare everything, it's your money and there are a lot of excellent choices out there, I don't think you can go wrong in the long run with a camry accord or altima or maxima, they all will give years of service and are all defintiely better than anything offered by the big 3. And if you work at it at all, there is no way you should pay MSRP or for any add-ons for an altima, you should be able to get at least $500 off if not more.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    go back and re-read the post. "if only I were serious about buying the car" etc..

Mackabee
  • It's by some prevaricator who goes by the name Vince Burlapp. Total rubbish. His stuff appeared on other auto sites too. He's been banned from a few places. He doctors photos of existing cars and claims they're from an inside source.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    these pictures are speculative at best.
  • Car salesmen prey on the ignorant. I was at a Nissan dealership this weekend where they were trying to sell an 02 Maxima GXE for $2,800 over invoice!!! And I'm sure some un-informed sucker will buy it eventually. How about all the useless extended warrenties that never get used? None of the Japanese cars I've owned would have ever used them. How about playing games with people's trade in prices??? etc etc etc.
  • but not generally on Nissans. Now VW is a whole different story. :)

I've got a 10 year old Nissan that's built better than my 2001 Jetta. Go figure.
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    If you go back and take a look you will see that the individual that mentioned no sunroof without leather was a Canadian making reference to the Canadian web site. It is very possible that the options available in Canada are not the same as in the US.
  • mney6mney6 Posts: 116
    Bought a 96 Honda Passport in 98 and bought a service contract for 800.00. New engine last month for 3500.00.
  • That's like buying a Mitsubishi or Suzuki. It's not exactly an American car, but it sure as heck isn't a Honda.
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    So far I've only seen 2 Altimas actually on the road. Both silver. The exterior sure looks nice.. too bad the interior isn't up to snuff.

I saw the interior of the 2002 Honda Civic and it's quality is higher than the Altima. Certainly is a shame.

Anyway, are they purposely slowing the production of these Altimas for the dealers to get maximum profit? (An old Honda trick)

Like others have mentioned, the Accord EXV6 looks to be the better all around car than the Altima (value wise)

The VW Passat is drawing my interest these days...the build quality sure looks top notch...better than even Toyota and Honda
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Folks - the designated place in Town Hall to beat up salesfolks is on our Smart Shopper Board. There are many discussions underway there where the tactics of buyers and sellers are being debated. We don't need to revisit all of that here.

That said, I need to make a personal observation. You folks who are attacking mackabee apparently haven't been around Town Hall very long. Otherwise, you would be well aware of the fact that he is one of a core group of salesfolks that hang out in Town Hall being very helpful to our members. Some of you have made some gross generalizations about people in car sales and applied them to mackabee. I suggest you get to know him a bit better before you do that.

Please follow the link above and find an appropriate discussion to continue the conversation about the appropriate or inappropriate behavior of sellers and/or buyers. Chances are, mackabee will be there as well.

Thank you. Now let's get back to the new Altima.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • I don't know where they are going, and who are buying them, but everytime I go to Benson Nissan in Spartanburg South Carolina, they have a different set of Altimas there. What really surprised me today is the fact that they just can't move the 2001 Altima GXE Limiteds of the lot, I don't get that at all. The new Altimas are always going. The Seascape model I saw yesterday was sold to the couple I saw testing it. They did seem pretty impressed with it. They did finally have a SE with leather. It was Noveau Ruby with Blond interior trim. To me the leather reminds me of the 2000-2001 Maxima, not like the leather in the 2002 Maxima. I didn't like it at first, but after looking at some of the new Cadallic Devilles on the lot, the Altima's leather looked better than theirs!!! I am loving this car more and more, the salespeople have gotten use to me coming around daily looking at their cars, and for the most part, they are not hassling me at all, and they don't try to rush me off the lot, like many salespeople at a Toyota dealership I go to alot, but even they are treating me nice now, this tragedy is really helping people to become better, nicer, more compasionate people. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!
  • <<Anyway, are they purposely slowing the production of these Altimas for the dealers to get maximum profit? (An old Honda trick)>>

Actually, they're producing about 4420 Altimas per week (which equates to 229,840 Altimas per year). That's about 40,000 more than Nissan's goal of 190,000 Altimas. Seems like Altima is off to a great start. =)
  • source of my figures is from autonews.com
  • First of all, I was called by the salesman twice at home to come down to the dealership and look at the SL again.

Second, I told him that I wasn't looking at buying a car until mid 2003.

Third, I only made the offer to see if he was going to push the car for MSRP.

Fourth, I wasn't the one wasting time, it was him. He called me and he has it in his little book to call me only when they get a SE in because he wants me to test it out. That is the same thing he did when the 2000 Maxima came out, the 2002 Max, and the 3.5L Pathfinder, usually when i come to test out a new vehicle it is his first time also and we both discuss pros and cons.

Fifth, the salesman and I are good friends and if i was wasting his time, trust me when i say he wouldve told me

Sixth, I told him i would not even consider buying this car until the 03 Accord debuted

Seventh, If anything i was helping him out by coming down, because i was only the 3rd person that he had helped that day and it was 4:30pm

I could keep on going, but hopefully you are now seeing that before you jump to a conclusion and make a generalizing statement about someone, it would help to ask questions instead of assuming answers.
  • Yes, in the Canadian website -- where I got the info -- it seems that you are required to get the leather in order to get the sunroof.

Why do you need to bring the price of a car so low if at the end in order to get what you want to have to pretty much load up the car anyways.

A strategy? Yes. An intelligent strategy? No.
    Well, just in case I am still waiting for the
    dealership to call me to test drive a 3.5SE
    5 spd. I hope that the second time a test drive the car I won't be as shocked about the interior as I was the first time.

The reason why I feel this way is because I have been driving a VW Jetta and a '96 Acura, and the interiors feel much superior. I think I am just somewhat disapointed. Oh well, in the end, it is just a car.
  • cncmancncman Posts: 487
    Well who cares about Canuks anyway! (JK) Sorry I did not notice the flag, and I would have probably figured the options would be mostly the same. I would still recommend checking with the dealer to confirm what you have to get there.
  • At least they were selling when I went to see one. The dealer could not keep the new Altys on the lot. They had only one SE left and it was sold that's why I could not drive it. I had to test drive an S which was one of the three Altimas that were not sold. While I was at the dealership, people were coming in just to look at the Altima. BTW...my dealer is one of the biggest Nissan dealers in South Florida.
  • danny25danny25 Posts: 119
    I finally saw some on the road. This weekend on my way to Austin, TX and back from DFW, I saw 3 new Altimas. One velvet beige, 1 seascape, and 1 silver. It was kind of exciting to finally see some driving, all the ones I'd seen up to then were on the lot.
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    Unfortunately, in Canada, Nissan has a long history of offering less features as options on their cars. We can usually get all the options (and sometimes more) that are available on the U.S. models but usually have to take them in packages or as standard features. Take for example the 2000 Maxima SE that I bought. The only options available on that car were an auto tranny and traction control. Everything else that was available on the US model (and more) was included as standard features on the Canadian Maxima SE. This includes everything from leather and sunroof to floor mats and body colored mud guards. You could not buy a stripper Maxima SE in Canada. A quick look at the Nissan Canada website shows me that the options available on the new Altima are different between the two countries. For example, in Canada the 2.5SL comes standard with auto tranny, cold weather package, sunroof, ABS and air bag package, wood trim, mud guards and floor mats, all of which are optional in the US. This is probably just a way for Nissan Canada to keep their prices down, after all, the 2.5SL with the above options has an MSRP of US$25,473 in the US while the MSRP in Canada is only CA$28,998 or about US$18,367 with todays exchange rate.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I also live in South Florida and I was wondering which Nissan dealer you were at? We bought our 2001 at Endicott in Pompano and did it all over the net, a very pleasent experience. My first good car buying experience, is that an oxymoron or what! Thanks for your help. Am very curious to see a 2002 up close.
  • >>Like others have mentioned, the Accord EXV6 looks to be the better all around car than the Altima (value wise)<<

No doubt, but you can't get a V6 Accord with a manual transmission. Honda should offer a stick shift with their V6.
  • Hey another S.Floridian,

I was talking about Maroone Nissan here in Pembroke Pines....pretty large Nissan dealer

Go Dolphins!!!
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    We should commend Nissan for offering manual tranny with the V6 Altima...however, like the Maxima, the manual is below average to average at best.

If Honda did ever offer a manual with the V6, I'm sure it would be the best one in the market. No one makes manuals like Honda. Maybe with the 2003 Accords...

I'm thinking of just buying the 2002 Accord EXV6 but hate the idea of buying a car in it's last model year and the Altima's appeal is starting to drop the more I look at the interior. And although I hated VW's in the past..the quality of the Passat is starting to appeal to me, I'd have to go with the manual I-4 though.
  • My dealer here is now discounting the 3 remaining 2002 Altimas about $1K off of msrp and the 3 remaining 2002 Maximas at least 2K off if not more, they have only sold 1 Altima and 1 Maxima(bought by a salesman) and they won't get any new ones in until they sale those. Strangely they aren't discounting the GLE just the 2 SE's, maybe because it's on display outside the front of the lot, i dunno.
  • this time the interiors did not seem cheap like they did last time.

I saw the tan cloth and tan leather. The tan leather didnt have that nasty pattern the black stuff did. the dash plastics look much better in the tan than the gay or black.

sure is a spiffy looking car. No the int. is not grade a but hey at least for the chaper models what do you expect.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    I talked to a dealer today that said he could discount "5, 6, 700 off sticker" on a 2002 Altima SE (after I mentioned I was probably going to buy in the next month, but not right now). This comes a mere two weeks after I talked to another dealer in the area who claimed that Nissan wasn't allowing any dealer to sell below MSRP for 6 months! The guy at that dealer even suggested they would be selling at MSRP for up to a year. Guess I won't be buying a new Altima there.

As they say, good things come to those who wait!
  • And so far I love the car. I had been looking at accords and maximas. The Accords don't handle nearly as well as the Altima and the Maximas were out of my price range. Also the Altima is noticably larger than the Accord inside and out, which I happen to like. The manual is not as smooth as the Honda, but the 2.5L has much more punch especially below 3000 rmp. Since I am still in the break in period I haven't pushed the car, but I'm very happy with it's performance in daily driving. And I love the styling inside and out. I'll keep you all posted over the next few weeks as I log some more time behind the wheel. I have a long trip coming next weekend, that will be the first real test for comfort.

P.S. I paid about 1K under invoice or $17,995 for a car optioned between an accord LX and EX with more room and more power. I'm quite happy with the pricing.
  • g_carg_car Posts: 46
    Test drove a '01 Maxima SE 5 speed, '02 Altima SE 3.5 and '01.5 Passat 4Motion today. As a point of reference my wife drives a 2001 BMW 5er (I basically just get to wash and wax it) and we have a '96 300ZX as a weekend car. I'm looking to replace my daily driver Honda Accord coupe. Took a look at the Altima due to the HP figures. Well to cut to the chase so to speak, I'm picking up the Passat Monday. It was no contest, Altima drives fairly well with great power but the interior is very subpar. Passat interior compares very favorably to the Bimmer, while the Altima interior is not as good as my '96 Accord. Passat has a VERY solid feel when you close the trunk or doors, Altima sounds tinny, Maxima is nice and would have clearly been my 2nd choice. Oh well, HP isn't everything. PS Altima's wood grain must be the worst I've ever seen. Looks like something out of the JC Whitney catalog. Nothing wrong with JC by the way esp. if you're into the fuzzy dice effect :-)