Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    I just purchased an 02 honda civic si last week. I do not have an owners manual and im planning on having someone take the factory stereo out this saturday. What my question is...how do you get it out. I have looked all over the place for screws and all to remove dash to get to it. I know they have to be there somewhere. If someone knows could you please help. I know this probably isnt the right place to post this, but im new to this..and im desperate!!! Thanks!

It is not in the owener's manual anyway. IF that someone is a professional installer, they should know how to do it. If not, you are better off buying radio from Crutchfield, because you will get installation kit and wiring harness adapter for free, and you will get detailed instructions on how to replace the radio. LEt me know if you need $20 off $200 discount code.
  • hey guys

im a 17 year old who has a 2004 Civic si Coupe. Im looking into lowering it. any suggestions?
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    We have an entire board for just these types of modification questions... if you could, post your question in the Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification. You can create a new discussion there - either for Si mods or "Lowering a Car" would be good.">link title
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    That's just great. Right when I was about to put my stock suspension bits on Ebay.

That 2001 EX-L 5 speed Accord is starting to look great again. I know I'm all over the place. Whatever......
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Gotta laugh!
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    has waaay too much time on his hands.
    ...and he is looking for any excuse to switch cars!
    Not really at the Vette stage. Maybe I should get that new Pontiac Solstice....LOL Or the new Saturn vert.
    My next car is going to be either the new Miata, Solstice, or Sky. Maybe.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Your question has been moved to the discussion Honda Civic: Prices Paid & Buying Experience where people are talking prices and can share their info with you.
  • drewzledrewzle Posts: 12
    I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Motor Oil. There are many brands and grades to choose from but I would like to hear what people use and why. I have always gone to the quick lube places and have mixed results. I am going to change the oil myself (first time I have done this) on My '03 Si this weekend.
    I purchased (mostly from H and A) :
    Factory Spec Oil filter (the new little ones)
    Special filter Wrench
    Drain plug washers
    Castrol Synthetic 5w20
    Gunk Out.

I figure since I don't know if mineral oil was in the mix of any of the other Oils the Quicky Lube places use I would use Gunk-out to remove any deposits. Since I am a coward, I figure I will use only half the bottle and run for 5 min. ( I truley worry about Deposits because Honda's rev so damn high. Not like my old '84 Camaro Berlinetta)
    Then Change oil as normal. Drive for a bit and make sure it doesn't leak. Check the Oil in the morning and I figure I'm good to go. I don't use any additives (which the manual advises) but was wondering if anyone else uses them in their Si.

Is Gunk Out a neccessary step? Is there risks that I am not aware of? Any hints or tricks of the trade? I can research and read about it all I want but I'm looking for advice with someone with practical experience. Oh yeah and by the way, I bought ramps but its still real tight squeeze, (didn't lower my car or anything to the suspension) Should I use jack stands? Don't say dig a pit, I live on solid rock. Thanks!!! Cheers!!! :)
  • crashton6crashton6 Posts: 245
    I don't have a Civic SI, but am considering one. I do have lots of experience changing oil & taking care of cars. Did my first oil change in 1965 on a 57 Pontiac Star Chief. Left a trail of oil down the drive. I thought my dad was going to kill me.

As far as brands go I've been using Mobile 1 synthetic in my cars since 1990 or so. I like the idea of the oil being better than my car really needs. If I happen to over heat the car or have some other malady the oil is likely to take any abuse just fine.

Ok enough about me. NO do not put that flush carp in your nice Honda. If you feel it needs a flush just change the oil & then do it again in 500 or 1000 miles or so.

I applaud you for changing your own oil. No one will do a caring oil change like you will. ;)

Chuck
  • mplssimplssi Posts: 2
    hi, i am a new si owner. what's this business about the steering rack going bad, please?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    there are reports of the power steering rack going bad on the 02-03 Si's. If I am not mistaken one sign that it is going bad is what they call " the creak of death". It also appears that the 04+ Si's do not have this problem.
  • mplssimplssi Posts: 2
    oh, okay! thanks. i have a 2004. it had 510 miles on it---dealer demo.
    I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Motor Oil. There are many brands and grades to choose from but I would like to hear what people use and why. I have always gone to the quick lube places and have mixed results. I am going to change the oil myself (first time I have done this) on My '03 Si this weekend.
    I purchased (mostly from H and A) :
    Factory Spec Oil filter (the new little ones)
    Special filter Wrench
    Drain plug washers
    Castrol Synthetic 5w20
    Gunk Out.

I figure since I don't know if mineral oil was in the mix of any of the other Oils the Quicky Lube places use I would use Gunk-out to remove any deposits. Since I am a coward, I figure I will use only half the bottle and run for 5 min. ( I truley worry about Deposits because Honda's rev so damn high. Not like my old '84 Camaro Berlinetta)
    Then Change oil as normal. Drive for a bit and make sure it doesn't leak. Check the Oil in the morning and I figure I'm good to go. I don't use any additives (which the manual advises) but was wondering if anyone else uses them in their Si.

Is Gunk Out a neccessary step? Is there risks that I am not aware of? Any hints or tricks of the trade? I can research and read about it all I want but I'm looking for advice with someone with practical experience. Oh yeah and by the way, I bought ramps but its still real tight squeeze, (didn't lower my car or anything to the suspension) Should I use jack stands? Don't say dig a pit, I live on solid rock. Thanks!!! Cheers!!!

I am with Crashton6, GUNK out is not needed. And if by revving high you mean the lowest revving Honda ever, you have seen nothing yet. The Si cuts out at 6800 RPM, which is very low by Honda standards. The 1999-2000 I believe reved to 8000 RPM, and the S2000 revs to almost 10,000. This is the nature of the engine and there nothing wrong with bring it to the red line every time you feel the urge to pull away. There was an article that the piston speed in the K24 in the TSX approaches sonic speeds at red line.

Lose Castrol Syntec, unless you got the one that says it was made in Germany. All other Castrols are just purified dyno oil. If you are going to pay for synth oil, buy real synth from Mobil 1. You can get a calendar at PEPboys for $1 to benefit MAAD, there is coupon inside for "buy 3, get 3 free" Mobil 1. Wait until it is on sale for $3.99, buy 3, get 3 free, then send your recepit to Mobil 1 rewards and get a $5 supercertificate. This makes Mobil 1 oil changes cheaper than dyno changes.

As far the actual procedure, I used to remove the passenger side front wheel to access the filter and drain plug.
  • john500john500 Posts: 409
    I had to go the dealer the other day to get a replacement gas cap (failed inspection). While I was there, I asked him about the steering rack on the 02 and later SI's and he claims that his dealership hasn't done any steering rack replacements. Does the steering rack fail only on lowered cars or is this universal? Any quantitative info (defects per 100 cars, etc) about the steering rack?

Oil change- I've done the oil change a few times myself. I ran it up on ramps (the lower the slope the better so that the front end doesn't rub), blocked the rear tires, put on the brake and put it in gear. Pretty straightforward change. You are aware of the needed drain plug washer. If I remember this car correctly , the filter is in a somewhat awkward spot- you'll have to turn the wrench quite a few times to get a full revolution. After reinstalling and tightening the filter and drain plug, I let the car slide down the ramp without starting and then add the oil to make sure I don't misread the level (on ramps- might misrepresent actual oil level due to tilt). I just go to the dealership now to minimize the risk of having the car fall on me. Blue-eyed gods' idea about removing the front tire for access might be good - didn't try that on the oil change - only when installing the intake.
    Thanks for the Comments about the Oil. It gave me several things to consider for this weekend.
    So yesterday, I figured I'd start small. I'll change the Air filter. I ordered the part, factory air filter. And as I took the cover off to find that Seeds and Nuts are stored in there. Not too many, but enough for me to throw a fit on the spot. I see where the intake for the car is and I'm sure I could get some metal screen material and wrap it but I don't want to do it. I'm at 35k and I have owned the car 1 year and 4 months. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'd hate to have to restrict the air flow, but I can't have this crap in my engine. This is my daily driver (and my only driver) and I can't change the intake until my warrenty is fully amortized. (it runs out at 100k.) :cry:
    Thanks for the Comments about the Oil. It gave me several things to consider for this weekend.
    So yesterday, I figured I'd start small. I'll change the Air filter. I ordered the part, factory air filter. And as I took the cover off to find that Seeds and Nuts are stored in there. Not too many, but enough for me to throw a fit on the spot. I see where the intake for the car is and I'm sure I could get some metal screen material and wrap it but I don't want to do it. I'm at 35k and I have owned the car 1 year and 4 months. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'd hate to have to restrict the air flow, but I can't have this crap in my engine. This is my daily driver (and my only driver) and I can't change the intake until my warrenty is fully amortized. (it runs out at 100k.)

The filter is doing its job, none of this "crap" is getting into your engine, I woldn't worry too much about it. Don't forget to replace the cabin filters as well, you may find some seeds and nuts in there too.
    Si's at all late last winter. The only sell about 10 per dealer per year so there's a good chance that many dealerships haven't had to replace any racks or much other work at all for that matter. But anyway. There is a forum with only EP hatch owners and the rack is a is a pretty unpopular topic there. It has happened to stock and lowered hatches. Honda just refuses to fix the lowered ones.

It hasn't happened to my car either but I don't doubt it exists. There is a TSB for it though so I hear.
  • crashton6crashton6 Posts: 245
    I think if you'd use a piece of hardware cloth... aka screen, the kind with 1/4 inch holes in it you'd be fine. The air filter is keeping that stuff out of the manifold, but what if Mikey Rat chews threw the air filter? :surprise: Rodents can do lots of damage. You might want to make sure Mikey hasn't chewed any wires.

Chuck
    Two clips on the each side of the Glove box, lift the black latch, pull Number One out, slide the other left and out comes the Second One. Caked with leaves, maple seeds and a dead dried hornet. After I refit the holder and popped the new ones in, the air came out much stronger and nicer than before. I always attributed the scent of the "Vents on Recirculate" on when I used too chain smoke in that car. But, in actuality, it's that it was quite gunked up with that crap. I think in the future I will check this more often and just tap it out rather than replacing the filter. (and I quit smoking last October.) That was a good call, blueiedgod. :) As for the Air filter, The mouse didn't actually chew the air filter, but I am taking crashton6's advice and checking the wires tomorrow. ;) *click* and *point*
    Riddle me this Batman. :confuse: I had moisture in the passenger headlight lens. I noticed this 2 months ago. I tried to think, "what should I do"? I thought I could put some silica packets out of a vitamin jar in there to absorb the moisture. A friend suggested I use my brothers air compressor on a low setting through the bulb opening. As I mulled this over, I ignored the situation. Last week the condensation disapeared. It doesn't show any sign that water was in there. I have 2 explanations for this: 1. A gasket (if it even exists) around the lens is torn. It will need to be replaced and the hot weather is hiding the problem. (although latlely there's been no lack of rain) When it is chilly perhaps water will form around it again. 2. The Saw Mill Parkway in New York flooded, and foolishly, I tried to hydroplain over some big puddles. The water got pretty high and it may have entered then. Gradually, in this damn hot weather, all moisture evaporated. And since Honda sprays the inside of the lens with some Rain X compound, it fixed itself. (I would like to believe #2, But I totally made up the Rain X part of it.) :confuse:
  • I to just purchased a '03 Civic Sir and just replaced the factory stereo with something wih a little more punch. Your not going to belive this, but in order to take your old one out, you must first remove your shifter boot, and then you will gain access to the grey panel around and it pops right out. Its a real shock to the system to see the dash ripped apart, but well worth it in the end. Hope this helps.....Cheers :shades:
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    The headlights don't really have a gasket, but rather some silicone-like sticky stuff. Shoot, I have a link to a forum page that explains how to open the lights (to paint them black - looks great, especially on '04-'05s), but I don't know if I can post it.

Basically, you can use RTV Form-A-Gasket No2 as sealant, if you feel that the current seal isn't complete. Set your oven to 300ºF, then turn it off when you place the headlights in there. No more than a few minutes to soften the stuff.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Factorys use a substance called Butyl Rubber to seal headlights. Like you mentioned headlights can be opened after a few minutes at 300F. However if you use Silicon Sealant you will never be able to open your lights again (without breaking them). You can get Butyl Rubber in strips from a few sources.
  • cedjiecedjie Posts: 2
    what's a n EK????? how does it differ from a cx/dx????
    i am planning on buying a honda hatchback.... but with all the existing models, i really dont know where to start. really need your help and advise on this.

thanks a lot
  • cedjiecedjie Posts: 2
    thanks!!! that was a big help!!! one last thing.... what does JDM stand for??? USDM?????

people in this country dont speak much english..... all i ever got for a reply was "its a honda"..... so thanks... that clears up all the confusion
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    = "Japanese Domestic Market"

The Civic CX and DX were almost the same price at the end - the CX was the cheaper trim and deleted the rear wiper, had no intermittent front wipers, and a few little things like that. IIRC, there was a center console in the DX that the CX didn't get. Didn't the DX have little hand-operated remote controls for the outside mirrors, and in the CX you had to crank down the window and shove your hand outside to adjust them? It was all stuff like that.

I think you could get A/C in the DX, but not in the CX.

The last of the Civic hatchbacks were truly stripped. OTOH, the VX was a neat little sucker that would get 45 mpg and had those cool little extra-light alloys that were unique to VX. I almost bought one of those in '94. Back then, Honda knew how to put together a really great little compact car that just felt tight and right. By comparison, today's Civics just feel soooo cheap in the context of what's available.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    I didn't realize that chassis code list was on a forum. I apologize.

I'm reposting my post, sans forum link.

"If you want a new Civic hatchback, your only choice is the Civic Si
    (manual only). It seems that there won't be any new Civic hatchbacks sold
    in the US in the future...

Used... the '96-'00 Civic hatchback (the EK) only came in CX and DX
    trim, DX being the better equipped of the two (I don't know in what way).
    They both have a dinky 106hp engine, but they're light enough to get
    the most out of that power, and they get great mileage.

The '92-'95 Civic hatchback (EG) came in more levels: CX, VX, DX, and
    Si. I think they all had different power outputs, in that order (CX had
    70hp, Si had 125hp, and the other two are somewhere in between). The VX
    was the one with superhigh mileage, but since you're asking in a Civic
    Si thread, I have to say 'look for an Si!' "

Oh and I'll add that USDM stands for United States Domestic Market. There are always differences between the same car sold in different countries (beyond the obvious, like right-hand-drive JDM cars). JDM stuff is popular in the aftermarket, because a lot of people want to make their Civics look more like the Japanese version... they feel that it makes the car more "authentic". That's probably all you need to know about JDM vs. USDM.
This discussion has been closed.