Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    "Baby, you can drive my car."
    "Lives destroyed by Si and computer.", sounds like Jerry Springer material to me.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    nah ... we'd need to make it something like "I cheated on my spouse while playing on the computer in my SI" or "I drive to my job at the local Al Bundy bar in my SI which my 80 year old secret boyfriend bought for me". Jerry is a little more dysfunction than just lives being destroyed .. that would be Sally Jesse or Montel.
    "I was a perfectly normal guy until I bought an Si and logged onto Edmunds. Now, I've got the shakes, live alone, and speak harshly with strangers."
    "I bought an SI then was forced to have plastic surgery, liposuction, collagen implants and a tummy tuck to keep up with it".
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    has eight '02 Sis left - all silver, none with side airbags...they were advertised at $15888 but when I went over there he said he would take $14888 to sell them - over the whole long weekend with the ad running they didn't sell any.

He also has '03s (including that wonderful blue!) now that he offers at $16,500...it is almost tempting enough to make me sell my car that is only a year old!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mapman1138mapman1138 Member Posts: 68
    To my untrained ears those sound like great prices. Where is that dealer located?
    which is in the San Francisco Bay Area.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• napapacodanapapacoda Member Posts: 42
    Those prices are real good to my ears. If only the dealership was in the North East. Ohhwell, I'm in no hurry and will play the waiting game. Has anyone heard of any different incentives offered by honda, seeing as their 1.9% financing is going away today. Also, I've read that they are offering free CD changers if you buy a new SI between December and January 31st. Has anyone else heard this or actually gotten in on this offer?
  • hatch5hatch5 Member Posts: 27
    I think 'when' to buy is critical to get good price. I had an offer for 14,449 in November, but I did not act quickly and lost the chance. (At that time, I was thinkin about other cars too.)

After that, I went to a few dealers near by to get same deal, but they sold all or most 02 SIs with 'blow-out sale' in November when they got allocation for 03 cars, and did not want to do it any more. Although, a few dealers like Gardena Honda is still advertizing them for $14,988, which I have never comfirmed.

Do you think it worth to wait ? I do not know, but using common sense, I think the price will not go down any more, once new year came. ???
    those '02s are now officially stranded - it is the year 2003, and the '03 model has been here for a couple of months...I imagine prices will not improve much officially, although dealers that have 02s left will do almost anything to get rid of them...it will probably cause them to order a lot less 03s as well!

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Traditionally the end of the year has been the time of lowest prices on new cars. Anything below $15,000 is a great price on an Si and if cost is an issue it may be wise to get a 2002 Si before they are gone. No one can predict the future though and the last year and 1/2 have been completely crazy. When in the last 50 years has 0% financing been prevalent? Never that I am aware of.

Today would be a great day to buy with it being the last day of 1.9% financing.
    Had body side moldings installed on my Si today. They look decent. After I had ordered them I saw a picture of an Si with molding and did not like them. Saw one at dealer with them and since they looked so much better in person than in pictures I went ahead and had them installed on my car. $100 for the moldings and $40 to have bodyshop install them and repair a scratch on my car.
    4 x 100? with what offset 40? will fit Si 2002?
    Can dealers chose not to order Sis ?
    To blow out almost all 02 cars to order 03 cars does not make sense. I thought Honda makes allocation and dealers do not have choice.

Cost is an issue to me. Since I will be able to keep the new car only for 2 years (I have to go back to my country in 2 years), I am very concerned about ''initial cost - resale after 2 years''. Considering big discounted price and Honda reputation, I think 02 Si will be a good buy for this formula.?? Big discounted PT cruiser was also on my list, but I did not like its cheap engine and ride. Next to 02 Si, $12,998 03 Mustang is on my list, though I do not know if this price is still available.

My next car will replace my 96 Grand Voyager(this must be surprising to you all, but Mini vans and Wagons are the two Hottest category in my country), which is very unreliable and costly.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    the Civic Si and the Mustang on the same shopping list?
    Theres nothing in common between those two cars.
    A lot of folks who shop for the Si also consieder the Focus SVT, Sentra SpecV, Tiburon or wait for the hot Neon SRT-4.
    seats for four, sporty image, hatchbacks, reasonable values, two doors, good on the highway - sound similar to me.

Hatch5 - Were it me, I'd want the top of the line Civic over the middling 'Stang. Were it simply residual value after 2 years, I'd think used beater.
    If resale is a concern what about a regular Civic? But with the deals right now on a 2002 SI the depreciation probably won't be that much of a factor, especially after 2 years. You could always try to find a car that you can get a 2 year lease on. Alot of companies are offering subsidized lease rates (especially Ford) so that might be another option if you aren't going to drive that many miles.
    Good point river .. if you are only going to keep it 2 years and don't need a new car then a slightly used or even very used car might do the job. I'm thinking maybe a 99-00 Civic hatchback or even a used Accord, Camry, or Altima.
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    Is canada going to get a 2003 version of the si/sir!!!! They are still selling 2002!!!!!!!

http://www.honda.ca/HondaEng/Models/Default.htm

The Mustang is not a hatchback, and wasn't one for at least 2 generations
    Seats for four? That's quite a stretch.
    Sporty image? How about having 4 wheels, engine in front and using gas? Starting to sound similar to me too. ;)
    Having had a rental Mustang V6 there's no way I personally would buy a Mustang. It's noisy, has a rear axle, and doesn't offer a good driving position for me. But they are cheap and I think you can get 0.0% through Ford right now.
    Have you checked your local dealership in Canada? Dealers already have 2003 SiR and if you provide them with $25,500 Canadian they will be happy to sell you one.
    Just because the www.honda.ca website is not updated does not mean the dealers do not get updated cars for 2003.
  • yugoboyyugoboy Member Posts: 161
    I have stopped by the dealership, did not go in however, when i was browsing the lot, all the sale sticker's stated that they were 2002's, not a single 2003, i guess i will just have to ask a salesman!!!! I have to admit that stang look's alot better than the current offering!!!!
    anonymousposts likes Honda the best and really would prefer not to drive Ford, GM and Chrysler or VW etc.. She can correct me if I am wrong but please do not turn the Si discussion into a discussion of the merits of the Mustang. Mustang is crude fun, I would not want to drive one everyday but would not mind having a Mach 1 in my garage.
    I really doubt that you will convince any Si owners in this topic to convert to Mustang ownership so please don't try;)

Do you happen to know what the wheel size and offset are for the 2002-3 Si?
    Reason there were 2002's on the lot was probably due to slow sales of the 2002. Often manufacturers require that a certain number of the 2002 models be sold prior to allocating the 2003 models. There really are no significant differences in the 2003 Si so there is no major reason to wait for a 2003. Also you are lucky that you get the Milano Red color SiR in Canada. It is the best color for Si/SiR in my opinion.
    I read that the Si get 4x100 bolt pattern, +42 offset.
    The stock rims are 20 lbs.
    wheel size is 195/60/15. Don't know the offset. You might try www.tire.com or www.tirerack.com for the offset.

The side view of that Mustang is nice but I don't like the rest of it. Plus, from the looks of those pictures that Mustang will be no where near the price of my SI. Regardless though, there is no Ford in my immediate future. I did love this 00 Mustang GT that I drove down from DC one time. 5-speed, leather, Mach .. it was nice and fast. Drove great too.
    That's right, no hatch on a 'Stang. I'm with Anony - I wouldn't want the V6; and I'm guessing the V8's are priced such that other competitors would nudge the 'Stang off my list.

I liked my '89 5.0, an LX hatch, a bunch. It did have a fix-or-repair-daily quality, ate rear tires, and was a ticket machine. Even so, it would pull a trailer and scoot most pleasantly.

The '99 Si was the first FWD I could tolerate. Actually, the '02's torque feels more 'Stangy to me; and I'm glad there's so little torque steer. Dunno what I'd do if the '02-'03 Si weren't available; I hate buying used cars, and there's not much out there new that really appeals to me. I figure I'd have to double my price range and shop hard.
    quote anon-"wheel size is 195/60/15".

That is tire size, not wheel size.
    http://members.aol.com/ephatch2003/hirescivic1

The blue color is the second best on the Si IMHO with the Milano Red my favorite. Not my blue Si but it sure looks good with those wheels.

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    To Moparbad - Thanks for getting the discussion back on topic. Nice pic.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    Yes, that is a nice pic. I, too, liked the blue coupe best. I've not seen the red HB; but until I do, white's my call. Dunno why, but the white one seems longer.
    I'm also partial to white. Silver is 2nd. Followed by black. Then blue.
    I started shopping for silver and took white when the silver wasn't available. Now, I'm glad it wasn't available.

I think the HB looks great from the front and the rear in any color. From the side, the curves seem to disappear when the colors get more intense.

Sorta like me, I guess, wearing the black T's after holiday pigging out; conceal that curve around the middle.
    Gee wanted me to get silver but I held my ground and bought white.... twice. I might try to find a Type R kit one day but I might just leave it as the little dustbuster that it is.
    About all I'd change on mine (excepting, of course, 20" wheels and 2-3000 more bhp, for which I'd gladly pay another 29, 35 even, cents) is the interior color. The black is really gonna show dirt and junk. I've already pulled off the rear seat headrests to open up the view out the back.
    you'd pay an extra 35 cents? Big spender.

I prefer the black. We aren't very hard on our cars so it should be fine.
    I'm at about 500 on the odo and decided to check out the ABS. The is the first car with ABS I've had, and I likes it! Although I can feel the brakes pulse, it's almost transparent and very effective.
    We're renowned for 'good' drivers here, LOL; and I figure I'll be grateful more than once.
    I likes it! I likes it!
    ABS is good 95% of the time. If you have a completely iced over road surface or if you have a couple of inches of fresh snow then ABS will increase stopping distances. You can still pump the brakes to decrease stopping distance even with ABS in these rare weather conditions. Of course if you live in a warm climate ABS is all good. Every car and truck I have owned in recent years has had ABS because it is a feature I really like.
    I figure the same's true with sand, gravel, and leaves - which I'm more likely to encounter.

I'm just glad ABS comes in the package, LOL. I'm an old f--t whose first driving was at a time when adding a radio was a serious decision and AC and power locks, windows, and mirrors were luxuries for wealthy folk.
    I took a test drive black Si and liked it very very much. The price was 14,988 and 16,700 in total (too much tax in CA), which was OK, but I did not buy because they did not want to pay much for my old mini van.

I am over 30 years old and want a car mostly for commuting. I was looking for a ''fun to drive'' car with comfort, so Si was perfect.

I liked it very much because it is compliant which some people do not appreciate at all. Maybe Honda should import a couple of thousand of type R and let people chose.

By the way, if you live in LA area, Gardena Honda is good!! Sale people there are normal people unlike those at other dealers.
  • hamproofhamproof Member Posts: 241
    Yeah - can't beat the leftover 02 Si selling $3k below invoice as a beater.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Durned SI rolled down a hill again yesterday. That parking brake sucks. I'm trading it for a Mazda6 hatchback as soon as they come out.
    Did it roll down and hit your new Accord??

Yeah, the parking brake situation is scary. I made it a point to always leave it in gear even on flat roads.

I'm sure you'll make a few thousand trading in the 02 Si like you did w/ the 00 Si since the 02 Si is the best car in the segment w/ the excellent match of 15" rims and huge 160HP for the hatchback body style. Not forgetting the H logo in front of the car means it has excellent reliability and resale value also. When Mazda6 comes out in summer, your less than 1 year old pristine condition 02 Si will be sold for at least $2k more than what you and anony paid.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But I did make money on my SI that I traded for my Accord.

It rolled down a hill into a vacant lot in a subdivision we were looking at. We are in the market for a new house. Just testing the waters.

Funny you should mention hatchbacks and 160 hp. The Mazda6 also has 160 hp in a hatch. But mine will have the sport package and 17" wheels.
    Which gear was the Si in when it rolled down a hill? 1st or reverse?

hamproof- I've already been offered more for my Si on trade than what I paid for it. And the price on the car I was looking at was excellent and not increased to show a good trade value on the Si. Why would I want a different vehicle? My elbow is hurting. I dislocated my elbow some years ago and the Si shift position is causing some awful pain. Either the pain goes or the Si will.
    I bet anony and gee left it in neutral. My car rolled forward when I had it parked on my driveway which hardly have any incline at all. My car was running at that time coz' I wanted to check out the new bulbs I put in.

I can imagine both of them running (if they tried) down the hill after the little white car. I wish I could be there to see it. And if Consumer Reports was there, they'll rig the car to make it explode on impact or run over an old lady like they did to Suzuki Samurai (rollover), Audi 400?? (unintended acceleration), GM/FORD (??) exploding gas tank via explosive. Reputation of Honda down the drains.

Anyway, on to the 99/00 Si. I find it hard to believe that you were offered more on your trade in than what you purchased the car at. I guess it depends on how you look at it. In anony case which she divulge later, she had a trade in to get her 00 Si. So, that kinda explains the lower price she got on her Si coz' the dealer made money on the trade.

In your case if you are trading in to get another car from them, it could be they are making money (I presume) a lot from your trade in car to offer top money for your used 99/00 Si. But that doesn't seem to be the case since you said you were given a very good price on the new car you are looking at.

If that's not the case, maybe you bought your used Si at a very very good price.

If you bought it new, it would have cost about $17k before taxes back in 99/00. Possibly more if the dealership was firm on the price and you wanted the car bad. Now, if you are telling me the dealership is giving you $17,001, I find it hard to believe.

Even than, unless you paid cash, once you figured in taxes, interest on loan etc. no one really makes any money on any car unless you sold the car to someone who must have the car, like when the PT Cruiser when it first came out or the new Mini Cooper.

So, if you factored in taxes etc. you are looking at about $18k for a brand new 99/00 Si back in 99/00. There's no way any dealers will give you that much for your used 99/00 Si. If you found one, I say buy more used 99/00 Si and sell em!
This discussion has been closed.