Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Hamproof- Yes, I hear what you're saying..., and to clarify:

Instead of embedding the photo directly into the message with html, Edmunds.com is asking our participants to just provide a hyper-link to copyright protected photos they do not own.

In other words, they do not want copyright protected photos to be automatically viewed from our pages.

And yes, I realize the arguments to follow..., but I guess they feel that extra step will protect them from any (frivolous) copyright infringement lawsuits. For further question/comments about this, feel free to email me.

And now, back to the subject of the Honda Civic Si / Sir. ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• The 2003 has it. Does the 2002 have it too?
  • I was wondering if anyone had pictures of a 02 SI with the moonroof visor on it? I wondered if this made it look sportier or uglier. I have one on my 1998 civic and it looks good, but I also have like rain guards (not sure of the proper name) that go around the upper outer edge of my 2 doors. They are made out of flimsier plastic, but go well with the moonroof visor. I plan on negotiating out a final price for the 02 civic tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I will come out the victor.

Also, I've heard of clear "nose mask" type protectors to protect the car from rocks and chips. Does anyone have any links or more information on these as I have not heard of them? Do honda dealers do the install or is it easy enough to purchase online and DIY.
  • I got to play a little in my new Si ('02) today, and I'm real pleased. It's smoother, quieter, and torquier than my '99; thus, maybe a little less 'fun'; I see myself getting into higher gears sooner and downshifting less. The cabin's much more open feeling inside, at the cost of worse visibililty using the center mirror; rubbernecking is more productive, though. There's a LOT of windsheild, thus top-of-dash surface; and I figure I'll use the visors a bunch more, full forward. X-way driving is much smoother, and I don't see me coming out of 5th unless I've got quite a load. A still higher 6th gear would be useful. The 'touches' are nice - cargo area light, cubies, etc. Know the cup holder slides forward to give more junk space? I wish the guages were about 1" lower, so I could get the wheel lower and still see the whole tach and speedo. LOL, on the x-way, I found myself going faster than traffic and saying "come on" a lot. This '02 is a lot quieter than my '99; I want less volumn on the stereo. The stereo is at least as good as on the '99 and gets stations I can't even find on the rental GrandAm. Dunno if the '03 windows are darker, but I can hardly see into this one through the side and rear windows; I'd like a heavy gradualized tint on the top 1/3rd of the windsheild. This one uses regular gas; the '99 needed premium. (I bet somebody comes out with a compression kit.) I'd like to have the seat height adjustments back; even so, these seats fit me just as comfortably.

Only two piddly dealer prep issues. The tires were all low, one rear one by about 15 lbs. The floor mat pegs (come only on driver's side) hadn't been installed; I didn't have time to wait for 'em to put the mats in, though, and the pegs came in the box with the mats (easy install).
    I didn't get the shake and rattle package Ham got. I think's it's call 'rattle and hummmmmmm' on the option list.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Refer to River's post. It seems to be getting better and better with time.
  • kj32kj32 Posts: 3
    Anyone knows the pricing on 02-03si in this region? I am looking for one and would like to find out if there's much room to negotiate. Thx.
  • Hey, I would suggest looking at the:
    Honda Civic Owners: What did you pay?
    forum for pricing on the 02-03 SI.

Haven't heard much from anyone in this forum in the past few days, but to everyone, have a merry christmas!
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Here's the discussion napa suggested: Honda Civic Owners: What did you pay? You may also want to check with Edmunds' TMV Pricing Tools? This will give you the average cost others are paying in your region.

Also, please note: Edmunds' new vehicle TMV prices do not take into account current Manufacturer-to-consumer incentives or rebates. So if there are any customer cash incentives in your area, you'll want to make the necessary adjustments. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • MERRY HO(nda) HO(nda) to all.
  • kj32kj32 Posts: 3
    I will check out in the other forum.
  • hamproofhamproof Posts: 241
    When I got the car, it didn't sound so bad. But I bought it in early Nov. when there's no snow yet. After driving it for 2 days I went on a vacation and didn't come back till early Dec. At that time, it was bone chilling cold in Michigan. Strange sound immediately creeps out in my early morning commute to work (6+am). Driving over our pothole ridden roads didn't help matter much either (Detroit area).

Well, hopefully your car is better screwed together than mine. Or maybe your roads are better.

Btw, I drove 760 miles last week (still Christmas vacation) to Atlanta. Car felt pretty quiet. I was surprised. I could hardly hear the engine noise at 80mph average going speed. Went up to 95mph a few times but backed down coz' of my fear of cops. Despite the RPM being at 5k at times, I could hardly hear the engine. So, it's not an annoying buzz or hum. Maybe the wind noise is drowning everything else.

During this trip, at times my hands feel fatigued. I wish the steering wheel telescope. Also, maybe even a little bigger diameter. I've read somewhere someone complained that the steering wheel is too big. I think it is too small. I've a relatively big chest ;)

Along the way I've yet to see another Si. Been here for 5 days (Atlanta) and I haven't seen one either.
    We can meet and yell at each other over how good/bad the SI is. Si's are few and far between though.

Funny thing is that there is another one in Anony's parking lot at work. And a guy at my job took a spin in ours and bought one. If people would get past the looks they would sell like hotcakes. It's a solid little car.
  • I just had the slow tire leak attended to. 'Twas caused by an inventory sticker on the tire which prevented a complete seal against the rim.
    My tire guy fixed it for free, ;~}.
    My Honda dealer wouldn't even look at it, ;~{.
  • yugoboyyugoboy Posts: 161
    Is canada going to get the 2003 version of the si/sir, still no mention of it on the website! I cant believe how many of these hatches are still sitting on dealer lots!!!
  • My local dealer here in Houston still has the same 7 or 8 cars he had last summer - dealers here have to do the mandatory state inspection when the cars arrive, and all of his cars have "July" stickers on them. If I needed a car, I'd go make them a lowball offer, but my ol' truck is doing just fine... too bad, because I think the Si is a nice little car - the test drive I took last summer convinced me.
  • hamproofhamproof Posts: 241
    Well, I've been here for a week already and I haven't seen any around. Will be here for a few more days. If you see one w/ Michigan plates, you'll know it's me :) Don't run me over, ok? :P
  • ham: If you see a black 03 Accord Coupe come flying up behind you then get out of it's way and we won't have to run you over :)
  • Hi all,

Recently I went to an auto show here in Miami. I saw a Civic Si with 17 inch wheels with low profile tires and it was also lowered where the tire meets the wheel well just like the Civic type R. I told the sales guy Honda Japan should have done it like you guys did. His reply was our dealership does these mods and is covered by the original warranty. And if you buy from this dealership they will go on a 4 year warranty everything covered. The dealership name is Rick Case Honda located on I-75. I don't work nor do I have any friends or family working for them but this sounds like a very good deal.. I just want everyone to know cuz the current 15 inch tires and high body stance does no justice to the original 4 cyl hot rod!!
  • Having seen pictures of lowered SI's with kits and bigger wheels convinces me that if more people saw them so equipped they would sell like hotcakes. It definitely has potential .. just alot of people aren't seeing it.
  • I think people are seeing it, its just that to do that, it will cost another $3 grand(unless of course you don't mind lugging around 25+ pound wheels). Add that onto the base price, might as well purchase an RSX type S. I think honda took a gamble and assumed everyone who purchased this car would modify it up, yet contradicted itself by making a more refined car, half aimed towards an older crowd. I still like the car and am trying to sell mine to buy one, but basic economic law doesn't lie(supply and demand).
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    After 4 months of seemingly endless research, multiple test drives, dealer negotiations..., I finally made a decision. It took a 200 mile test drive in the Elantra GT to convince my wife & I we could pass up the 02 VW GTI & 02 Civic Si for the Elantra GT.

All above cars are excellent rigs, all have some flaws & reliablity questions. In terms of overall performance & comfort, the Elanta GT comes in 3rd, extremely close to the Si in my humble opinion. In the end the Elanta GT met & exceeded all my needs, has a better warranty, lower cost to own, and cost over $3000 less than the closest competitor (both 02 models). The truth be told, I just did not feel justified spending more than 7$K!

I purchased the HGT with sunroof for $6,070 cash (including Tax & license!) plus my 97 Del Sol Si. I still have plenty of money left over for a strut bar and better, slightly bigger tires (205/60 HR15 Dunlop Sport A2s on OE rims).

Time will tell if this was the best decision. I suspect I will occasionally long for cheap summer thrill of the SOC VTEC running thru the gears with the top down, but right now I am quite happy!

I appreciate all the help I have gotten on Edmunds! I will miss you, it is time to get on to real life priorities.

PS Please pray for a peacefull solution to the Iraq situation.
  • Last Friday I was just involved in an accident where the car behind me rolled forward and impacted mine, i have damage to the lid and the bumper, the lady have progressive and they cut me a check today Monday for 500. to start the repairs, QUESTION Do I have to be aware for the depreciation factor? I live in Florida, usa.
    Greetings from sunny and warm Miami.
  • If only the rear decklid and bumper were affected and the repair job is done by a reputable place then there shouldn't be any depreciation as a result. Have the car fixed see if there is any depreciation then proceed with her insurance company to get some compensation.
  • rivertownrivertown Posts: 928
    HAPPY GNU YEAR!
    I was moving some furniture today, and two girls out walking at both ends of my trip stopped talk about my 'cute car'. ;~). I look like heck in my grubbies today; so, 'twas the Si getting the attention.
    I think Anony is trying to take my Coupe away. I'm gonna be in her SI soon. I hope she reads that and maybe it'll change her mind.
    Well, Gee, she's warned. This could work out great, the coupe aside; I figure you'll get turned loose in the Si but in a state of satisfaction not conducive of eye-wandering. Could be far worse, ya know. You could be driving a GTI, LOL, or Ham's Si.
    You are right. Her SI drives awesome.
    A good gal in a good car AND a good car. Gee, ya got no gripes coming!
This discussion has been closed.