Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Si / SiR 2005 and earlier

Comments

• It feels like Anartica here in GA right now. Brrrr ... at least the SI heats up quickly.

If they put 200HP in the SI .. I'm trading mine for it. Along with that 200HP engine will probably come other numerous upgrades. Hope by then somebody else wants one of the 02's.
  • tprice: My last 3 cars were black and while I liked the look of the black SI I just couldn't bring myself to buy another black car. At least with the white I don't have to worry about scratches that much.
  • When I use regular fuel I hear my engine pinging, dieseling, pre-igniting, whatever you want to call it. It happens around 3K RPMs. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't have an issue with putting premium grade fuel in my car but it kind of upsets me that the manufacturer recommends regular octane and yet I have this problem.
  • What kind of gas are you using and what area do you live in? I use mostly premium but when I do use regular I haven't noticed any negative effect on the engine.
  • I religiously use Exxon gas. I live in Northern VA. When I took my car into the dealer, I had a mechanic ride along and he heard the pinging. He called it pre-ignition. I guess the dealer called a Honda hotline and they recommended that I use premium gasoline for "the next few tanks." I used premium and it definitely cleared up the sound. I used premium for 8 full tanks of gas and I recently tried going to regular and I hear the noise again. It's not easy to hear. I only hear it when the windows are up and the radio is off.
  • I have read several posts on this board regarding oil consumption in the 02/03 SIs. I have been looking at the SI as an affordable performance hatchback, BUT am a bit concerned and curious about the oil "problem". I have owned new American, Japanese, German and British autos and have NEVER experienced oil consumption with a new engine. Does anyone know of an official Honda explanation for this prob.? What do you think of the engine balance shafts placement in the oil pan? My son told me he has read that the revs of these balancers froths the oil and heats it up. Anyone else aware of this and do you think this might be the cause of the oil consumption????
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Not rare. Many engine consume oil during break in. Check the long terms in the car mags. It's not unheard of to burn a couple quarts in the first few thousand miles. If it's still severe after 5 or so thousand miles then there may be a problem.
  • I lost about 1/2 quart in the first 1k mi. then between 2-6k i lost another 1/2q. but it has been full sinse. I dont think its anything to panic about. Realize that 5-20w oil is VERY thin. When piston rings are in the process of setting, the thin oil will get through.
    My ownership has been as close to flawless as anyone could ask. I am very satisfied and thank myself everyday that I didnt buy the SVTfocus!
    best of luck on your deccision!
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    to let you know about our new Ford Focus ZX3/SVT vs. Honda Civic Si discussion. If you have any insights to share on this subject, please join us there. Thanks for your participation!

And now back to the subject of the Honda Civic Si / Sir.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Hi everyone. This is my first time posting and wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in the past, it helped me make the decision to buy an Si.

Last week I bought a silver 02 Si from Dobbs Honda in Tucson. I got it for $16,821 (+TTL), which is more than I wanted to pay. I showed them the ad from Chicago, but the sales manager said he would not match it. Thought about a trip to Chi-town, but I don't have the vacation time to burn.

The good news is I got some "free" things: splash guards (used to call them mud flaps), Honda pinstriping (light grey, didn't like at first, but it's okay), window tint (must have in AZ), and floor mats. Not too bad.

Anyway, I'm happy and got the last new silver 02 in town. I've got 850 miles on it so far and haven't lost any oil.

I had a white 89 Si, and enjoyed it. This one kicks it's butt! As some reviews have said, it's not as rev-happy down low, but it's got tons more torque and power. The seats are awesome, the 4-wheel disc brakes are great, and it's just fun to drive.

I know Dobbs has a black 02 Si left, and Beaudry Honda was advertising a white 02 for $16,820.

Take care out there.
  • I have 6,600 miles on my SI and it's running like a top. Can't think of any complaints other than wishing they had put the 200HP engine in it to begin with. But the 160HP engine probably keeps me and my boyfriend out of alot of trouble.
  • Congrats on your new car siarizona. Silver is a good color for the car and looks awesome with the Type R kit on it.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    I don't own a Civic.
    It's just the oil consumption problem that puzzles me.
    Today I took a look at the latest CAR mag which is being published in the UK.
    They're talking about their experiences with the long term Civic TypeR which is being build in Swindon, on the same assembly line as your Civic Si/SiR.
    They praise the car and its performance.
    They also mentioned about some unusual for Honda feedback coming from the British owners.
    According to them the Swindon-built Civic quality doesn't seem to be on par with the previous models.
    Lots of complaints about excessive oil consumption - I mean EXCESSIVE (as much as several liters per 7,000 miles in some cases), easily chipped paint, rattles, easily scratchable dashboard and some other things.
    The funny thing is that when the editors contacted Honda of UK demanding an explanation for the most common problems the factory just blamed the dealers???
    The oil consumption problem has been mentioned numerous times on this forum.
    Sounds like the new Honda engines do like to burn oil and not just during the break-in period.
    What could be the reason? An engine design? Hard to break-in internals?
    Or something else?
    Regarding: Does your Civic burn oil too?

Thanks for your concern; however, I think our Honda Civic problems discussion might be a more appropriate place to discuss this subject. Not to mention, this subject has been rehashed here a few times already... mainly sparked on by articles and rumors..., not by actual Civic Si owner (member) experiences posted. Anyway, just my observation.

So let's try to stick to topics that are more specifically related to Civic Si ownership and shopping experiences. ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    and congrats on your new Civic Si! Thanks for sharing the details. Happy motoring!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• A Focus owner talking about Civic "problems"? Now that's funny. I am just over 6500 miles and to date have used less than 1 quart of oil. So far this Civic has been just as reliable and solid as any other Honda product I've owned.
    I guess I can't ask any question without being reminded of what I drive.
    So nice of you.
    And if you feel so unsecure and threatened I suggest you contact the above mentioned mag - one of the best magazines in the industry - and tell them how dare they try to question the Civics build quality.
  • Your "question" seems to have no basis other than to bash the Civic SI. As far as anyone feeling insecure and threatened you might wanna go check your suspension, brakes, fuel tank, and engine. The most threatening thing I've seen is the NHTSA report on the Focus. And I quote "I can't recall any vehicle having as many open investigations at one time" in regards to the Focus. That's threatening. Just curious as to why you find interest in the Si .. is it time to trade?
  • If you research the SI and oil consumption on the many consumer boards you will see that oil consumption does occur during the first few thousand miles. It's not abnormal for what is relatively a high performance engine using a low viscosity oil to consume oil during this period.

You will also notice that Honda recommends NOT to change the oil before it's recommended intervals which is 10,000 miles for normal conditions in the Civic. Considering that most people change their oil within the first couple thousand miles to get rid of the break-in oil they would not even notice the oil consumption. 10,000 miles is on the high end of recommended intervals especially for a main stream car. With that increased interval there is more opportunity for oil consumption to become apparent. Most people wouldn't notice or care if their car burned 1 qt every oil change if they performed them every 3,000-5,000 miles.
    Again, why do you keep bringing up the Focus?

My question wasn't about the break-in period.
    Any engine - "high" performance or not - WILL consume oil in its first 2,000-3,000 miles. It's completely normal.
    Every car does that.
    It just seems that a lot of people here were experiencing unusually high, even for the break-in period, oil consumption rates.
    I didn't think too much of it untill the CAR mag column caught my attention.
    I just wanna know if people here are experiencing the problem after the 5,000 mile mark.
    The modern cars, even the cheapest ones, don't burn much oil if any between oil changes(no need to add).
    And just about any manufacturer requires 5,000-7,500 oil change intervals nowdays.
    In addition, if some Civics do burn at least 1 qt every oil change, then you've got a PROBLEM.
    Even if the consumption rate stays the same and doesn't increase with time as the car ages(which would be very unusual),the burning oil WILL contaminate the catalitic converter, O2 sensors, spark plugs and create other emission problems faster than you think, especially if you REALLY care about your engine and don't mind spending on certain high-end fully synthetic oils which contain higher amounts of antiwear & extreme pressure additives (zinc, phosphorus etc).
    I'm here not to "bash" the Civic. I've got better things to do with my time.
    I've been considering the Civic before and might buy one in the near future and want to know about the potential problems.
    BTW o'so passionately hated by you POS Focus (and you even never owned one, hmmm...) uses the same very thin 5W20 weighted oil and doesn't burn a "drop" between changes according to many owners I hear from, if you must know.
This discussion has been closed.