Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Avalon Rear Sunscreen Failure

vegasvagabondvegasvagabond Posts: 1
edited May 25 in Toyota

My rear window sunscreen only worked intermittently for a while, then quit totally. Suddenly, on it's own, it went up and locked in place and will not retract under any circumstances, i.e. switch inoperable; no effect when moving gear selector from Park to Reverse (should retract). Most annoying is the greatly decreased visibility especially at night as the rear window is also tinted, and it also buzzes loudly for 20 seconds when the vehicle is put into Reverse from Park.

One Avalon user suggested to pull the 10A fuse or pay about $700. to repair the sunshade unit.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. It that horrible repair estimate accurate?

Thanks

Comments

• fusersfusers Posts: 1

The estimate depends on how big of thieves your dealers are. SAVANNAH TOYOTA IN SAVANNAH GA wants $1700 to repair it. This is a hazard when driving at night and I intend to report it to NTSB as a dangerous defect. MY LAST TOYOTA.

• gohawaiiangohawaiian Honolulu, HawaiiPosts: 84

Had a similar issue a few years ago while my 2005 Avalon Limited was still covered under an extended warranty, so I didn't pay for the repair but saw the dealership's claim for reimbursement being submitted to Toyota under the warranty. It was well over $1,500, as I recall, possibly as much as $1,700. Dealer said it was largely for labor because the screen is hard to access (or so they claimed). Problem was a short circuit which caused the screen to jam intermittently. Lately, the replacement screen once again doesn't want to raise consistently. Not worth the trouble of repairing, in my opinion, since it could fail again. One option to consider might be if you can push it back down out of sight & then not operate it anymore. Good luck!