Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bug guards, protective bras & film

Comments

• I just got 3M installed on my 2005 Carbon Metallic Yukon. I was scared but I went to StarShiled and looked at some samples and was impressed on the white color but weren't sure how mine would turn out. It turn good, they a written 5 years warranties on the product and installation. 3M has 7 years warranty on the film. Expect a 3 hours wait. They have A, B, and C kit. I got the C and extra for under S400.00. The guy I dealt with was Ryan. You are suppose to not pressure your car and wait 24 hours before washing. You can was and wax as normal after the 24 hours. I will give 48 to be sure. It is a whole lot better then the plastic stuff that people put on their truck. Black plastic bra are cover up the beauty of the car. It might sound like I am advertising for them but I have done 2 weeks price searching. One place quote me 700.00 another 450 with the just the hood, bumper, fender and mirror. I have hood, bumper, fender, door jam, top cabin, mirror, and the back and front tire because I don't have a mutt flap, all for 400. Just do a search for StarShieldArmor. You will be very happy with the price. They don't open on Weekend so I have to take vacation to do this. I hope this help, if you have question, I will try to email. :)
  • I would like to have the 3M clear coating installed on my BMW but the dealer is charging $695.00. Does anyone know of a place in the East Bay area near Walnut Creek,CA that will install it for less?
  • marcogonmarcogon Posts: 2
    There is a spray called " photo blocker" .
    There is also a website.
  • lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    This may be the wrong question - but how does the cost of having paint chipping on the nose of your car professionally retouched every year or so compare to the cost of a bra or a coating?

I think that (quite often) the bra's and coatings are uglier than the problems they're supposed to prevent. You can't see paint chips from 10 feet away, but you're sure going to see that bra.

Sort of like when Grandma put plastic covers on the leather sofa she got.
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    You'd be surprised at how invisible the 3M clear plastic coating is.

I doubt you could see it from 10 feet away. 2-3 feet, yes; 10 feet, you have pretty darn good eyesight. And even at 2-3 feet, I'd doubt you would notice it unless you were looking for it.

The clear plastic coatings are the way to go in my opinion. Once you have to touch up or repaint a hood, your value will decrease much more than the cost of the coating.
  • what kind of BMW? let me know
  • dreamstardreamstar Posts: 8
    2005 330Cic Convertable... Can you help me?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,981
    3M has a "Where to Buy" tool at 3M.com

Find a Professional Film Installer

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sophieksophiek Posts: 1
    I am thinking about getting a bra to protect the front of my Matrix from all the bugs and small rocks from the freeway. Does any one have any advise on where to get one and IF I should get one? I also read that it can actually damage the paint longterm, any recommendation?
    Thanks!
  • ilight4uilight4u Posts: 7
    I had one on my 2001 Chev Tahoe for the last 4 years - it was GREAT. However, don't let dead bugs sit on bake - they slightly ate into the film when left for a month one summer.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,981
    Was it a name brand film, like the 3M stuff or StonGard?

Anyone with longer term experience with film, have you noticed any yellowing of the product?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gkman1gkman1 Posts: 8
    I purchased the bug guard made by Lund.....I didn't think it was very well made and looked kind of cheesy. I returned it and bought the Bug Deflector II......this one looks great and was easy to install....paid $40 new.
  • ruskastudruskastud Posts: 34
    I just purchased the Wade (for '05 Tacoma) based on comments by owners in one of the other forums. I'll let you know what I think once I get it and put it on.
  • ruskastudruskastud Posts: 34
    Just got mine and when installed, the very ends of the hood don't quite go down all the way, but the hood latches no problem. I took it off, and noticed that the weather stripping along the lights and grill top make the hood fit real stug without the hood guard. Is this the way it is supposed to be? If so, I can see how all hood protectors would make the hood sit up just a slightly, and it is only noticeable by the quarterpanles. Just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong.....

Any help/suggestions please......
  • jtruckjtruck Posts: 5
    I have had a tough time with hood protectors on my 05 Tacoma. I first purchased the Toyota version and it came with only 3 of the brackets. The directions call out 5. We checked another box at the dealer and it also only had 3. Since the directions specifically state 5, I didn't think 3 was enough so I returned it.

I then bought the Wade per the good comments on the Tacoma forum. It mounted easily and looks good but the hood won't close. I called Wade and they said the hood is adjustable, but I don't see how. Someone else on this forum had a similar problem with another brand. I'm not sure how to correct it.

I agree that the weather stripping between the hood and the grill will make any wrap around (rather than bracket mounted) type fit very tightly. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hesitant to do too much tinkering with a brand new truck.

Thanks.
  • hiyaqthiyaqt Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where I can get Clear Bra installed on my ES330 in the Columbus, OH area at a reasonalble price? The dealer's price seemed really high.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Try to Google, Clear Bras...you will probably come up with other clear film companies that list dealers. I am sure another company clear bra installer will be able to help.
  • I am considering 3M's clear paint protection material for my next new
    car. I know it is designed for protecting paint from flying rocks at
    speed. However, I would like to know from people who had it applied,
    how effective is the film in protecting your front bumper from other
    cars. (I also plan to get a custom piece made for my rear bumper). In
    the city I live in, I rely mostly on tight street parking. My last car
    became full of paint chips and scrapes on my bumpers quickly. Thanks
  • Photoblocker spray, see www.photoblocker.com

Currently legal in almost all states. In states with broadly written prohibitions about altering or treating license plates it would be illegal but unenforceable because unless you get up real close to a treated plate there's no way to tell that it's been sprayed.

WARNING: This spray protects you against photo enforcement cameras that use a flash by increasing your plates reflectivity to a ridiculous degree . . . which makes your car an even better target for laser or Lidar guns.

By the way, who in their right mind would run a red light on purpose?

C.
  • Does anyone know if a tinted or black plastic bug deflector will cause paint damage? I figure it must since it provides UV protection to the part of the paint it covers. Does anyone have any experience with this?

:confuse:
This discussion has been closed.