Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• raymurraymur Posts: 29
    I have a 2001 it came standard with the alarm system, if you look at the standard features on edmunds.com for a 2005 Sequoia, it states that the Sequoia comes standard with an alarm system. I think someones pulling your chain about the fact that you don't have an alarm system installed.
  • vickruc1vickruc1 Posts: 10
    To Kennynmd: The technician actually rode with me when I brought the truck in. My work order actually also stated that they had to replace nuts on the sunroof. The bolts and nuts that had to be replaced were in the rear corner o the passenger side. It's possible that mine took longer because I have the DVD system, rear audio and side curtain air bags. Not sure if that mattered. Mine was fixed properly on the first attempt though. Let me know how you make out
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    They did do the bolt and tightened the res t of the other bolts up. However the noise is still there. I took it there the following week and supposedly they did everything they could and can't fix it. It's not a rattle or a squeak, more of a ticking noise whenever I go over a bump. They said that they ccan replace the sunroof rails but they have to get authorization from Toyota.However they siad by doing this it would void the warranty. I really didn't get into detail about this because when they called me to pick my truck up I was really busy at work.Not sure what to do now. My wife says she'll drive the truck since it doesn't bother her and I'll probably trade the Lexus ES300 in for a new car.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    Can't remember the exact modle but they are MB Quart tweeters. They fit exactly in the OEM spot. Allyou have to do is run find a place in the door for the crossovers and you're done. MB Quart does make various weeters but I believe they only make one that is the size of the OEM tweeter. You might wat to go to their website to see whicher tweeter. Hope this helps.
  • I had passenger side rear axle seal replaced at 50K and driver side rear axle seal replaced at 75K. Should a $40K vehicle need rear axle seal replacements before 100K miles? I am disgusted with this car - it's my first Toyota - have always heard how reliable Toytota's are - what happened?
  • Have 2002 Sequoia - just had to replace the driver side manifold due to a crack at 69K miles. Kept hearing this ticking sound going down the road. The manifold was the problem.

Since 50K miles, I've replaced both rear axle seals ($1200), driver's side manifold ($600), and now the transmission is roaring in passing gear (dealer says new transmission most likely). I can't tell you how disappointed in Toyota I am.

FYI - the Tundras (which I understand have the same engine as Sequoias) have a TSB on the manifold issue. Contacted Toyota support to get some help with the manifold replacement - can't get them to call me back!

It appears that rear axle seals, AC unit, brakes, manifolds, and transmissions are all BIG faults with the Toyota. Every site for Toyota problems has multiple listings of each of these issues.

Where is that Toyota reliability we expect?
  • jj35jj35 Posts: 283
    Mine actually had this problem (rear axle seals replaced) under 30,000 miles. The repairs were covered under warranty.
  • momnwifemomnwife Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2000 Sienna XLE. Can your program be done the same way for our van? Also, do I HAVE to buy additional keys from them? Are they available anywhere else? The dealership wants $50.00 for each key, and $95.00 each key to program. Does this sound right to you? Can it be done another way for less? Thank You!
  • davedp1davedp1 Posts: 2
    Mccgregor: We had a tick noise in our 2001 Sequoia that did not change with temperature. It sounded like a leaking header on the left side. We took it back numerous times and finally it was traced to a simple hole in the firewall near the steering column that was letting noise in on the left side only. I would have sworn that the header was leaking. After the hole was fixed, the noise went away. Toyota had gone as far as replacing the headers on both sides before the problem was discovered. Check it out. Good luck.
  • davedp1davedp1 Posts: 2
    I have tried numerous different methods for programming my master key. A have one master key now, but the computer does not want to recognize the new key. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • brodybrody Posts: 4
    lait2000, thank you for the information. I'll give it a try.
  • dcj2004dcj2004 Posts: 2
    Auto door unlock. 2004 I read some posts, checked out my owner's manual...still can get the car programmed to unlock the doors when the gear shift is back in "Park". The manual says how to do it, but it simply doesn't work per the book! Help I can't stand uplocking the doors 15 times a tday!
  • dcj2004dcj2004 Posts: 2
    what I meant to say is...still CAN'T get the doors to unlock when back into Park.
  • chimemakerchimemaker Posts: 11
    I had a similar problem with my 2003 2WD SR5. The black primer under the coating was coming thru. My dealer contacted Toyota but because it was WELL after the 36,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty, they wouldn't replace the rims, even tho I had the Platinum Warranty! However, my dealer got Toyota to authorize having all 4 wheels "repainted". The color wasn't quite exactly the same, but non the less at least it was taken care of. They look fine now. Good Luck. Rob
  • teesimteesim Posts: 1
    what ever happened with your VSC light? I too have a 2001 Sequoia 2wd. I am having the same problem. My VSC & TRk light is coming on at will and when this happens I loose some control of the SUV and hear booming noise in engine- like something is loose. After a minute it corrects it self the car drives straight again but the light stays on for a while. The dealer could not duplicate the problem when they drove it and sent me on my way. I am right up against 60,000 mile warranty (57is at the time I took it to them. I guess once I am over it, they will be able to fix it. BTW what is TSB?
  • carlosmcarlosm Posts: 3
    I purchased my vehicle 4 weeks back. I've noticed a Pinging sound everytime I switch from Reverse to Drive. I've never owned a 4X4 and wondered is this was a normal sound or should I have it checked? I did notice the Front Differencial has small amounts of oil residue. Any thoughts?
    TIA
  • d_led_le Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2003 Limited. The car has side airbags on the A pillar. I can not find an answer to how far the airbag extends back. Does it extend into the 2nd row seats? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • vanacorovanacoro Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Sequoia Limited with 61.5K miles. Two weeks ago today, the A/C light began to flash so I shut down the system. I took it to my mechanic the following week and he told me the A/C was frozen and that Toyota has a TSB out on the problem. He told me he didn't think he could do the work as well as Toyota and recommended a dealer near my home.

I did some research on the Internet, including here at Edmunds. I found message #745, where the owner was pretty successful in getting Toyota in to pick up most of the bill. I took that information, as well as a copy of the TSB and e-mailed the Customer Service Manager of the local dealer. I heard back a day later from one of his Service Advisors and made an appointment to bring the Sequoia in to the dealer.

He called later that morning and told me that while he thought Toyota Corporate would pay for the parts, I'd be responsible for the labor. While not the happiest scenario, it was much better than me paying the full $2K bill.

He called back 30 minutes later and 'mentioned' that I needed my 60K maintenance cycle. He then STRONGLY suggested that if I let them do the work, he'd fight the good fight with Toyota Corporate and get them to pick up the ENTIRE A/C repair. I agreed (I'm sure he had already done that negotiation before he called me back).

And, while a 60K maintenance is not cheap (timing chain, etc.), I got that work done for less than $1K AND did not pay a cent for the A/C repair, even though I am NOT the original owner and the repair technically fell outside Toyota's stated 3 yr./36K warrenty.

When I picked the SUV up, I asked him point-blank about the free A/C repair. He said his boss did not care WHO paid them, the customer or Toyota Corporate. Once he knew he was getting paid, they wanted to get some $'s from me, if they could. He SAID that if I had declined the maintenance, I still would not have paid a cent and he seems like an honest fellow. Who really knows, all I know is my A/C is repaired, under a repair warrenty, my 60K maintenance is completed!

Thanks to those who posted here. This site got me engaged in problem solving and I saved myself $2K!

TK Vanacoro
  • petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    vanacoro good work, but I think the timing belt replacement is scheduled at 90,000 not 60,000. You might have paid for this sooner than needed.
  • lait2000lait2000 Posts: 33
    I don't think that I am allowing to leave any website on the forums so please leave your email here. I will send you the TOYOTA dealer on line. You can view the price and purchase TOYOTA key on line. I don't know how much for 2000 Sienna's key but 2001 and 2002 Sequoia blank key is about $17 each. I guessed your key probably is about the same price. For the Program procedure, I will send you a link as well.
  • lait2000lait2000 Posts: 33
    Are you sure you purchased correct key for your 2001. Leave your email here, I will send you the link to the TOYOTA online so you can check the part number for your TOY. Also the link to the Program procedure. I am not allow to post the link on the forums.
  • I have a 2004 SR5 2 wheel drive and does the exact same thing. I suspect this to have some connection to the breaks. Try and see if you can notice that this only happens after you release the e-break or foot break, go on reverse, and then put the vehicle in drive. I will definitely try and observe this more and bring up the issue to the dealer with a more detailed observation to narrow down the cause. :surprise:
  • I have a 2004 Sequoia with almost 23K. Does anyone know if there are grease points within the suspension or drive shaft/differential that needs to be topped. It's my first time owning a vehicle this expensive and not sure if a $31K truck needs this kind of attention. Also, what kind of grease is used. I'm planning on a 2K mile round trip next month and would like to get details like this done for smooth carefree drive.
  • onplaneonplane Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sequoia with 52,000 mile. My A/C compressor have seized up and I was told I had to replace the entire a/c system and it would cost me $2,900.00. I called Toyota corporate and they are only willing to pay 50% of the cost up to $1050.00 and I would have to pay the entire labor.

Where could I get a copy of the TSB? I would like to find out if there are more A/C problems and how one gets Corporate to pick up the entire bill.

Thanks
    CR
  • I would check nhtsa site because they should have some info regarding any safety recall. I feel for you... Make sure to use .gov when checking. Good luck! ;)
  • stomlinsonstomlinson Posts: 6
    The problem seems to have been corrected by my local technician, he contacted me and indicated that the throttle body and mass a/flow plenum were dirty and sticky. The start up idle has increased to 1200rpm in P and after warm up it's around 900-1000rpm. Previously after a 30 min. run of city/hwy you'd come to a stop and the rpm would be around 300-500rpm and it would stall.

Check and see what the hot idle speed should be, it seems everyone's problem is in 'a foot off the gas, coasting or braked situation'

Local repair shop $69.00 CDN taxes in
  • stomlinsonstomlinson Posts: 6
    See post 1132
  • dwirthdwirth Posts: 1
    I have the same question. I contacted the Chilton's Co. (repair manual) to see if they offered a manual for a 2003 Sequoia and they do not plan to publish one. Our only option is to buy the $90 Toyota version.

Let me know what you find!

Take care,

Don
  • When I drive my Sequoia I feel a grinding vibration feeling under my foot (under the floor board). It sometimes worsen when I turn. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem or does anyone have any solutions.