Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I leased a 2004 sequoia limited a few weeks ago and have been disappointed with the quality of the ride at highway speeds. There's a noticeable vibration in the center console, seats, and door arm rests which drives me nuts. I've taken it into service twice for rebalancing and have gone out on test drives with the service director. They tell me there's nothing wrong with it ("it's a truck") but I can't believe that this car got great reviews with this ride. I've owned two Expeditions in the past and never had any problems with ride quality so it's just hard to imagine that the Sequoia would ride worse.

While shopping, I test drove 2 other Sequoia's which rode nicely and then the one I finally bought. On the one I bought, I noticed the problem but let the sales person convince me that it was just a balancing issue.

The service people hinted at the tires (Dunlop Grandtrek AT20). I test drove another new Sequoia with the same tires and it had a worse ride than mine...

If anyone has had similar problems/experiences with these tires or other issues which might have the same symptoms, I'd like to hear about them. I may try to pursue a tire swap with Toyota but not sure how far I'll get with that or if that will resolve my issues.
  • MY 03 LIMITED HAS SAME PROBLEM-BUT IT GOES AWAY WHEN DRIVESHAFT/PROPELLAR SHAFT IS LUBED,IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE TO LUBE/GREASE IT EVERY 2-3K MILES,PAIN IN THE [non-permissible content removed] AND I WORK AT A DEALERSHIP(NOT TOYOTA),IN THE OWNERS MAINT. LOG IT SAYS TO LUBE DAILY!!!!IF YOU LIVE/DRIVE IN DUSTY AREAS OR TOW FREQUENTLY.
  • I'm planning on buying 01 Sequoia SR5 with 65k miles for $22,500. I wonder if there are any potential problems that I should be aware of from 01 model year since it is the first production year.

Thanks for response
  • bp3959bp3959 Posts: 156
    With that many miles on it any problems it had should have been worked out by now. Check that the AC works and the brakes are not warped.
  • A/C works fine and brake doesn't warped. My other concerns are with minor thing such as the smell from cat. converter, low oil pressure during idle, etc. I assumed these problems should be fixed by the dealer under the TSB even though the care is out of factory warranty. Am I right?
  • bp3959bp3959 Posts: 156
    I've heard the cat TSB is good till 85k, make sure though because if not it's about $2k.
  • sharishari Posts: 5
    Hi, I have a question, did they ever find out what the static noise was from your stereo? mine has had the same thing, been in 3x to 2 different dealers, no one says they hear it and cant fix it unless they hear it. I am having my 03 limited go in next week for service manager to drive back and forth for a week so they can hear it. i was hoping someone can tell me what it was before I get it in there so they know where to start.
    thanks, shari (braindeadmomma@aol.com)
  • After writing a rather lengthy problem and its solution note, I wanted to check an earlier post before sending mine in. When I came back, mine was gone. Can it be found?
  • rpnugerpnuge Posts: 13
    hi,
    sadly, i had a rock hit my windshield and started a crack that's moving up on the drivers side. My insurance (in Mass) will pay 100% for replacement. But they did mention a dealer may be more money and I could end up paying some if insurance doesn't cover it all. So the question is, what is the difference between a Toyota windshield and what the third party companies use?
    I'm leaning towards having Toyota do it.

Rich
  • I'm not sure what happened, but it doesn't look as though your message was posted.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• raymurraymur Posts: 29
    I would have the Toyota dealer do the replacement. I just had the windshield replaced on my 2001. I went to a recommended Independent Glass Dealer. They did a terrible job and damaged the dashboard trying to clean the urethane they spilled on it. My Toyota Dealer does not replace windshields, they have a local glass company replace it in their lot. Be careful who you choose, I had to have mine replaced for a second time by another glass company. I am taking the first glass company to small claims court for the dashboard damage. Also I don't know about Mass. but in NH you can have the windshield replaced at any place you choose and the insurance will cover it.
  • My '02 has the exact same problem and I'm taking it in tomorrow to be looked at. Is there a TSB that covers this problem? Otherwise this vehicle has been fantastic - really. I do seem to have some brake fade, but I'm at 34,000 miles. I wonder, is there a rotor/brake upgrade solution that anyone knows abouit?
  • I had some prior posts about static on my 2003 Limited. It turned out to be a Nextel cellphone that searches for signals as you drive. If you have a cell phone try driving your Sequoia without it on. I was able to drive with the static, turn off the Nextel and the static stopped. The user's manual actually states that cell phones can cause interference/static on your radio.
  • I have a 2001 limited Toyota Sequioa with 36K miles . The other night while I was driving home and the engine light came on. Before I take it to the dealer tomorrow, do anyone know what this may indicate or had this experience.
  • I have a 2001 limited toyota sequioa with 36K miles and the check engine light came on the other night as I was driving. DO you know what the problem could be?
  • I would recommend you get some warranty , from my experience the least little thing cause the indicator light to come on .
  • sharishari Posts: 5
    RICH, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, WITHIN A FEW MONTHS OF PURCHASING MY 03 LIMITED, MY WINDSHIELD HAD TO BE REPLACED, THE COMPANY MY INSURANCE USED PUT IN CHEAP GLASS, AND THE SEAL WAS UNEVEN (LOOKED HORRIBLE) WITHIN 2 WEEKS, I HAD ANOTHER HUGE CRACK AND HAD TO HAVE IT REPLACED AGAIN! I AM NOW ON MY THIRD WINDSHIELD, AND GOT ANOTHER CRACK IN MAY. (THIS ONE IS ONLY A SPIDER CRACK AND IS GETTING FIXED SOON) MY ADVICE, GET TOYOTA TO REPLACE IT, BECAUSE THE AFTER MARKET GLASS STINKS!!! A QUESTION TO YOU, DO YOU HAVE ANY SPEAKER SOUNDS IN YOUR CAR? I HAVE A HORRIBLE SKIPPING SOUND THAT HAPPENS WHETHER THE RADIO IS ON OR NOT AND WHETHER MY PHONE IS IN THE CAR OR NOT. HAVE TRIED 3X TO GET TOYOTA TO HEAR IT, BUT OF COURSE, THEY DON'T.
    THANKS, SHARI
  • I just purchased a '02 sequoia limited used with 40k miles... certified by toyota... is there anything that I need to know about the '02 models and did they fix the problem in more recent models? thanks, any issue would be helpful...
  • rpnugerpnuge Posts: 13
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the input. I had my windshield replaced at a reputable local glass dealer after speaking with him on the phone. Him and I agreed that it's better to bring the car in for better control. The mobile service doesn't seem as quality. I felt comfortable. The weird thing is that he put in a Toyota windshield. So far so good. The windshield looks exactly like the one replaced. And Shari, I don't have any speaker sounds in my 03 SR5.
  • Hey everyone, new to this forum and had a few questions that alot of you may be able to help me answer. First off getting ready to dump the 02 Explorer. It has been in the shop 13 times for numerous problems and the thing rides like c**p!! I have been reading numerous post's on problems encountered with the 2001 thru 2004 Sequoia's and although the problems seem similar, i.e., brakes, sunroof rattle, driveline clunk, etc., I am convinced that the Sequoia is a nicely built vehicle and am sure the majority of owners have had no real problems. I will be test driving one of the new 2005 SR5 models in a couple of weeks and need some advice: What exactly should I be checking for in regards to previous problems? Have most if not all of the problems addressed been corrected? This is a list so far of things I intend to look out for during the test drive:

1. Drive it in a circle at a slow speed and listen for any noises from the front end (tire rubbing noise).
    2. Listen for any clunking driveline noises while coming to a stop.
    3. Listen for rattles from dash, doors etc
    4. Excessively loud engine/tappet noises.
    5. Listen for rattling from any of the windows.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks again.