Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• daugiedaugie Posts: 12
    Exhaust manifold is a known problem with this truck. I have 80K on my '01 and recently had the right exhaust mainfold replaced (original cracked). Good luck waiting for a recall.
  • daugiedaugie Posts: 12
    I have an '01. Since new, this truck will fairly often appear to 'shift' while stopped at a light such that it causes a forward surge. It feels like the guy behind me tapped my bumper (an odd feeling when there is no one behind me!). Toyota dealer was the same as others on this board... essentially told me I was an idiot. I have learned to live with it and keep my foot FIRMLY planted on the brake. I know this is a little bit different than your complaint, but maybe related?? For what it's worth, my gut is that it is an issue with the transmission.
  • I have a 2002 Sequoia SR5 that I've had for just under 4 years. The tailgate latch is now inoperable (it does not latch) and appears to have rusted internally. When I removed the interior panels to see what was wrong I also found the window tracks severely corroded and the window will not raise or lower. I've spoken to Toyota customer service and they inform me they've not seen these problems. The vehicle is used in upstate New York where salt is used on the roads but the vehicle is kept clean and is garaged over half the time. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? The last vehicle I owned that had a tailgate this bad was a 1979 Jeep Cherokee. Also I just got my recall notice for the replacement of the front ball joints. Replies will be appreciated.
  • ya im not waiting for a recall....
    update on cd player..figures theres a load button in the upper left corner i didnt see...unfortunately i had already attempted to manually force a cd in there..breaking something inside....after i press load..it took the cd...i've never seen it since..and the cd player(6disc) wont repond to eject..switches back to radio if u press eject.....other than pretty much F$$king it up...is there anything i can do to salvage the cd and make it work again??????????
  • ya as stated in my previous posting.....i have that same problem northern ohio area...we have alot of salt too
  • paliguy81 Thanks for the reply. What year is your Sequoia? I have a meeting with a Toyota rep on Nov 10th so I see what he says. Have you filed any complaints with Toyota on this? TS
  • We have been fighting this same intermittent problem for a year. The computer finally pulled an error code and its the master brake cylinder pressure sensor.....
  • Its the master cylinder pressure sensor. The sensor is saying "NO Pressure" an is putting the vehicle into a protect you mode.
  • I have a 97 Camry and the driver's door handle broke. I think it was a $200 repair bill. My son has a 99 Camry and his door handle just broke. I am thinking there are a lot of these out there and because it is a several thousand dollar item isn't getting much attention.
  • what you have to do is take the screws out at the top of the dashboard console the black rim around dash then carefully remove to avoid scratches. Once this is done it should be a white beace with 4 screws remove those. Once this is done slide out dash and you shouls see 3 plugs going into back of dash remove center one. Once this is removed your gauges including speedometer will not work. You can slide everything back into place and drive and slide the plug 1/2 way in so you can stick your hand back to slide in too periodically check fuel consumption. This has saved me alot of headaches with Toyota and prolonged my warranty time. Any other ?'s let me know. Good luck and you may want too keep this info for a select few if you get my drift.
  • atsats Posts: 1
    My 2003 4x4 Sequoia does the same exact thing! In my case, I've noticed that the "shifting/surges" typically occur right as you start to release the brake from a stop but before you give the truck any gas.

Problem is, it doesn't do it everytime and is not predictable. I've tried getting our service dept to investigate, but they can't find anything wrong and have never actually experienced it (despite me driving the tech around for 15min).

I had resigned to waiting for the symptoms to get worse, so they could identify the problem. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) the problem hasn't really changed in frequency or severity.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone ever fix it?
  • Hi ya! I have an '01 Sequoia, and I have the same problem with the forward surge at stops. I took mine in to the dealer, and the guy said it was normal for all of the Sequoias and Tundras. Unfortunately, I can't remember what all of the technical jargon was, but it had something to do with the rear-end springs and the load 'releasing'. He said it happened in his Tundra, too, and that it is nothing to worry about. Hope that helps! :)
  • I have a 2003 Sequoia with 49,000. My VSC, Trac Control and ABS lights all came on. I was told it would cost 1200 to fix, that master cylinder went out. Dealership was then talked down to half that. Am I the only one having this problem?? Car is just two years old!! This is my 3rd Toyota and they've all had a few problems, but none like this.
  • Both of my remotes went out. Two different dealerships told me I had to replace both remotes at 30+ a piece, plus another 40 to reprogram them!!!
  • here is the Toyota technical bullitan for the problem

Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2003–2004
    model year 4Runner (1GR–FE) vehicles under the following conditions:
    �� Stop and go driving.
    �� Heavy acceleration.
    In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor, the Electronic Control Module (ECM)
    (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and
    a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace
    the catalytic converter assembly.
    NOTE:
    For more complete understanding of the root cause, refer to TSB No. EG003–03
    “Sulfur Odor From Exhaust,” dated February 24, 2003.
    �� 2003 – 2004 model year 4Runner vehicles equipped with the 1GR–FE engine
    produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
    MODEL PLANT ENGINE DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    Tahara
    2WD JTEZU##R#40026890
    4Runner
    V6
    4WD JTEBU##R#40032900
    Hino
    2WD JTEZU##R#48015332
    4WD JTEBU##R#48019048
    OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    EG4004 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) Engine 0.8 17410–31380
    60 99
    Combo A R & R Catalytic Converter Assembly #1 & #2 0.4
    17450–31010
    Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component
    Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
    first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    * Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
    ENGINE
    Introduction
    Applicable
    Vehicles
    Production
    Change
    Information
    Warranty
    Information
    EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR – EG015-04 May 27, 2004
    Page 2 of 4
    ORIGINAL PART NUMBER* REPAIR PART NUMBER* PART NAME QTY
    17410–31380 17410–31480 Pipe Assembly, Exhaust Front 1
    17450–31010 17450–31050 Pipe Assembly, Exhaust Front #2 1
    * The original parts (17410–31380 and 17450–31010) are currently used in vehicle production and are still
    available as service parts. The repair parts (17410–31480 and 17450–31050) should be used when the
    customer complains of sulfur dioxide odor.
    PREVIOUS PART NUMBER CURRENT PART NUMBER PART NAME QTY
    N/A 00451–00001–LBL Authorized Modification Labels 1
    NOTE:
    Authorized Modification Labels may be ordered in packages of 25 from the
    Materials Distribution Center (MDC) through Dealer Daily or by calling the
    MDC at 1–800–622–2033.
    SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS (SSTs) PART NUMBER QUANTITY
    Toyota Diagnostic Tester Kit*
    01001271 1
    12 Megabyte Diagnostic Tester Program Card
    with version 10.2a Software (or later)* 01002593-005 1
    * Essential SSTs.
    NOTE:
    Additional Diagnostic Tester Kits, Program Cards or other SSTs may be ordered by
    calling SPX/OTC at 1-800-933-8335.
    MODEL YEAR PREVIOUS CALIBRATION ID NUMBERS
    NEW CALIBRATION
    ID NUMBER
    2003 2WD
    Main 33519000
    Sub 53505000 53512000
    2003 4WD
    Main 33520000
    Sub 53506000 53513000
    2004 2WD Main 33529000
    2004 4WD Main 33530000
    NOTE:
    2003 model year 4Runner vehicles, which have been flash reprogrammed using the
    procedures in this TSB, will contain upgraded 2004 model year OBD II logic. Refer to
    the 2004 model year 4Runner Repair Manual information on the Technical Information
    System (TIS) when checking Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) on 2003
    model year vehicles that have been reprogrammed.
    Parts
    Information
    Required
    SSTs
    ECM (PCM)
    Identification
    Chart
    Page 3 of 4
    1. Check for the Authorized Modification Label affixed to the vehicle in the location
    shown in Figure 2 on page 4. If there is no label present, proceed to step 2.
    2. Connect the Diagnostic Tester to the vehicle and select “CURRENT ECU CAL” from
    the “ECU REPROGRAM MAIN MENU.” To determine the vehicle’s current ECM
    (PCM) calibration, see Figure 1 shown below.
    Figure 1. Determining Current ECU Calibration
    ECU REPROGRAM
    MAIN MENU
    1: GET CAL FROM PC
    2: CURRENT ECU CAL
    3: UPDATE ECU CAL
    4: CAL ON TESTER
    5: CLEAR CAL DATA
    A
    CURRENT ECU CAL
    B
    CALIBRATION ID
    Note: This Calibration ID is an
    EXAMPLE ONLY. Refer to the ECM
    (PCM) Identification Chart on page 2
    for a full list of Calibration IDs.
    3. Proceed to Flash Reprogram the ECM (PCM) by following the procedures in
    TSB No. SS002–01 titled “ECU Flash Reprogramming Process,” for 2001 and later
    applicable models.
    NOTE:
    Errors during the flash reprogramming process can PERMANENTLY DAMAGE the
    vehicle’s ECM (PCM). In order to minimize this risk follow the steps below:
    �� Make sure that the current battery voltage is no less than 11.4 volts.
    �� Install a battery charger and set on a low setting to assure that the battery voltage
    DOES NOT FALL BELOW 11.4 VOLTS during the reprogramming.
    �� If battery’s state of charge is in question, test with SST No. 00002–MP815–T,
    “Midtronics Battery Tester.”
    �� Confirm that the engine hood is up, parking brake is set and all accessories are OFF
    (i.e., audio system, A/C, interior lights, headlights, etc).
    �� DO NOT perform the reprogramming process until the engine room temperature is
    158F (70C) or less.
    �� Confirm cable connections between the vehicle and the Diagnostic Tester
    are secured.
    �� In case of Error Message “Cannot Go To Reprogram Mode,” refer to TSB
    No. SS004–01 “ECU Flash Reprogramming Error Message.”
    �� Do not interrupt the vehicle during the reprogramming process, keep all
    doors closed.
    4. Select the proper ECM (PCM) calibration file for the model year vehicle and
    reprogram the ECM (PCM).
    5. After completing the ECM (PCM) reprogram, the zero point calibration must be
    performed. Refer to TSB No. BR001–04 “Zero Point Calibration.”
    ECM
    Reprogram
    Procedure
    Page 4 of 4
    6. Start the engine and warm up the vehicle to normal operating temperatures before
    test–driving.
    7. Test drive vehicle to confirm proper operation and to readjust the ECM (PCM)
    “Learned Values.”
    �� Drive the vehicle using light to moderate acceleration in mostly stop and go
    type driving.
    �� Allow the vehicle to shift fully through all gears and at various shifter
    positions (D, 3, 2, L).
    8. Enter the following information on the Authorized Modification Label shown below in
    Figure 2 using a permanent marker.
    �� ECM (PCM) part number.
    �� New ECM (PCM) calibration number.
    �� Your dealer code.
    �� Reprogramming date.
    �� This TSB number.
    THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED
    AS APPROPRIATE BY EPA AND CARB
    DEALER CODE: DATE:
    CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB EG015–04
    89661–35A30
    Replacement
    ECM (PCM)
    Part
    Number
    Calibration
    ID(s)
    TSB Number
    Date
    C
  • EXCESSIVE SULFUR DIOXIDE ODOR
    Models:
    ’03 – ’04 4Runner (2UZ–FE)
    Technical Service
    BULLETIN
    June 14, 2004
    Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2003–2004
    model year 4Runner (2UZ–FE) vehicles under the following conditions:
    �� Stop and go driving.
    �� Heavy acceleration.
    In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor, the Electronic Control Module (ECM)
    (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and
    a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace
    the catalytic converter assembly.
    NOTE:
    For more complete understanding of the root cause, refer to TSB No. EG003–03
    “Sulfur Odor From Exhaust,” dated February 24, 2003.
    �� 2003 – 2004 model year 4Runner vehicles equipped with the 2UZ–FE engine
    produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
    MODEL PLANT DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    Tahara
    V8 2WD JTEZT##R#40016279
    4Runner
    V8 4WD JTEBT##R#40037525
    Hino
    V8 2WD JTEZT##R#48004215
    V8 4WD JTEBT##R#48015016
    OP CODE DESCRIPTION TIME OFP T1 T2
    EG4004 Recalibrate ECM (PCM) Engine 0.8
    17410 50360 60 99
    Combo A R & R Catalytic Converter Assembly 0.2
    17410–Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component
    Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
    first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    * Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
    ENGINE
    Introduction
    Applicable
    Vehicles
    Production
    Change
    Information
    Warranty
    Information
  • I experienced the same thing with my 2002 Sequoia. The trick is to get enough torque on the bolt and to use the correct socket. I used a 1/2" breaker-bar and 6-point socket. You may need either a cheater pipe to extend the breaker-bar. If this doesn't work try hammering on the breaker-bar (poor man's impact wrench) or rent an impact wrench at your local parts store.

Sorry for the delayed response -- I just joined the Forum.
  • I had the exact same issue with my 2005 Sequoia. I just had it serviced because our CD player broker. I asked the service department if this was an issue, and she said it was normal since it's a truck (never driven a big SUV before, so I didn't know better). I'm going to pursue a little more next time we go in. Until then, I keep my foot on the brake very solidly, because I don't want it to lurch.
  • I have a 2003 Sequoia, prior to getting the "Recall Notice" I took my vehicle in for an alignment. I was told it wasn't out of alignment. Does anyone know if this ball joint problem would cause abnormal wear on the front tire(s)? The Toyota dealership said no, a couple of mechanics and a brand name tire shop told me it would. Anyone really know? Please help. Thanks
  • Disconecting the odometer!!!!! I can't believe this forum has shrunk this low. Whats next, do you want to sell it to a fellow edmonds member.

The engine tappit noise is common on almost every sequoia, when the engine is cold. Mine has done it from the first day and I now have 102,000 miles and engine is sound.

Same with the engine surge, mine does it only sometimes and I have only noticed with AC on (the engine reves higher at idle).

Disconnect the odometer, I can't believe it!!!!!!
  • Did you get the problem repaired? If so, what was the cost?

I have an 03 with 47K miles, and have been experiencing the problem for the last few weeks. Very disappointing, esp. coupled with the oil pressure sending unit going out -- again. I'm choosing not to replace this one -- there's no guaranty that the 3rd unit would last any longer than the 2nd.
  • Help, are you still around?? I went the arbitration route and am completely pissed off. How do I find a GOOD Lemon Law lawyer? I'm in a small town in Montana. My Sequoia has been nothing but trouble since I bought it with 37 miles on it. It's an '03 Sequoia, Ltd., and I've had it aligned 6 times, new tires (Toyota paid), plus I had it aligned to the specs off this forum and it still drifts off the road. It's a pain to have to deal with after 21,000 miles and am still dealing with the same problem!
  • My '03 Sequoia has had 6 alignments and it still drifts off the road. I've had this problem since I first bought it in Nov. '03, so two years. They put on new tires after 5 alignments and tried aligning to the specs on this forum for a 6th alignment, but it still drifts. However, instead of drifting to the right, it now drifts to the left mostly, and to the right! I went through the arbitration process and was VERY disappointed. The result was that they would grant "repairing" the vehicle. I'm so pissed. Does anyone know a good Lemon Law lawyer in Montana? And, do I have to use a lawyer from this state? Please help!
  • I am having problem with my Sequoia 04, it was thought to be a battery corrosion problem, when the truck wouldn't crank after several episods. But, I replaced the battery and the SUV after a week exactly would not crank at all. Have anyone experienced this problem. With battery corrosion or electrical problems causing the same causes and effects.

Help going crazy in Ga. and broke
    Solane
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    Sorry, we can't post names of lawyers here, but perhaps this article will assist you.

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Find and alignment shop that knows what they are doing. Double check and have them set your alignment and follows:

Sequoia

camber: +0.25 degrees
    caster: +2.75 degrees (4WD) or +3.00 degrees (2WD)
    total toe: +0.08 degrees

These are within Toyota specs and come from a very knowledgeable source that works for Hunter. If this does not fix your problem, then you may indeed have an issue.
  • To be honest with everyone, I'm very surprised at all of the complaints with this suv! However, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Since I bought my 03' Sequoia, I've noticed a vibration in the left side @ about 55mph. In addition, the rear window doesn't go down at all, with the dash button or the key in the back door.
  • my 03 had the same tappit noise on cold starts and it disappears as the engine warms up. Took it to the dealer and mechanic said there were 2 bad valves. The valves were adjusted but the tappid noise is still there. I think this is normal.
  • It depends on your perspective. There are no vehicles with zero problems. The Toyotas are head and shoulders above most others. In general, Toyota owners are a little more demanding and expect better quality. Even though a stuck rear window is an issue, I'd much rather have that discussion than replacing a transmission or engine and having your truck in the shop more than you are able to drive it. All you have to do is hang around a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Expedition board and you know what I mean.

Take some comfort in knowing that the rear window thing on earlier Sequoias has been talked about and solutions are at hand.
  • Good news on my VSC Trac/Trac Off/Brake warning light situation. The diagnosis was simply front brake pads that needed replacing and low brake fluid.