Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• :mad: Updating my front end problem. Have had the 05 Sequoia back to the dealer for the second time re: front end vibration between 60-65mph. Really gets bad at 65 and above. The service rotated the tires with a re-balance of all four tires(so they say). They then supposedly re-aligned the front end. Although it helped some but didn't completely cure the problems. Steering wheel still isn't completely centered and when I center it the car drifts off the road to the right. I will be taking it back to the dealer for the third time and this may be the beginning of a Lemon Law debate, however, I hope not but am prepared just in case.

This time I will have the service rep with me and will take it to a mall parking lot to prove that the steering is not centered. Oh and by the way did I mention that the gas gauge went to empty despite having 3/4 tank of gas!!! In my 30 years of troubleshooting electronics that indicates to me a bad sending unit in the gas tank. Has only done it once but it certainly will do it again. Just a matter of time and when. That will be a major job that the dealer will want to shy away from because it will require removal of the gas tank.
  • Was a solution to the center differential lock light problem ever posted? I am having the same problem on my 2001. I put it in 4WD yesterday and now the center differential seems to be "stuck". I found a reference in the owners manual that says if this happens drive straight accelerating and decelerating or drive in reverse. I've tried those but with no luck. Before taking it to the shop, I thought I'd see if anyone else can guide me on a potential solution.

Thanks
  • I recently bought a used '04 sequoia and am new to this forum. I also have a '98 lexus gs300 that at one time did EXACTLY as you described. I'd be rolling along in the carpool line at my kids school and suddenly a kick surge...it felt as if i had been lightly bumped from behind by another car. This happened at very low speeds when just rolling without using the gas peddle. Since lexus also is made by toyota, i thought i might could share my insight.... I took car to the dealer and there was problem with misfires on one of the sparks. Havent had this happen since repair. Hopefully it is typical seq behavior, but if it wasnt happening and then suddenly started out of the blue like my car did, then Maybe your dealer can check this out for you. GOod luck.
  • I recently bought a used '04 sequoia and am new to this forum. I also have a '98 lexus gs300 that at one time did EXACTLY as you described. I'd be rolling along in the carpool line at my kids school and suddenly a kick surge...it felt as if i had been lightly bumped from behind by another car. This happened at very low speeds when just rolling without using the gas peddle. Since lexus also is made by toyota, i thought i might could share my insight.... I took car to the dealer and there was problem with misfires on one of the sparks. Havent had this happen since repair. Hopefully it is typical seq behavior, but if it wasnt happenening and then suddenly started out of the blue like my car did, then Maybe your dealer can check this out for you. GOod luck.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Posts: 104
    If your tires are worn more on either the front or rear, that can make it very hard to engage 4WD. Try doing it while stopped in neutral then shift it into drive. This may help.
  • I recently have had two issues pop-up with my 2003 Sequoia 61,000 miles. The truck upon start off makes a stability correction noise (which sounds like the drivetrain is coming apart!) and immediately the lights come on and the stability control / traction control shuts off. The dealer states that two different computer modules: the Translate ECU and the Skid Control ECU have gone out at the same time. Secondly, I have developed a noise from the engine that I would describe as an exhaust leak or valve noise upon strong acceleration. The dealers recommendation was to upgrade to 89 octane. I don't feel real good about either of the solutions that I have been given. The upgrade in fuel didn't fix the problem and I declined the computer repair until I could speak with someone at Toyota. I am surprised at the amount of posts concerning this vehicle.
  • I was a previous owner of an 04 Sequoia 4wd LTD. After a few months noticed the thumping problem when coming to a stop or just releasing the brakes and accelerating from a stop. Have heard it is a normal axle wrap thing and/or driveshaft issue. Also had an annoying vibration at 60-65 mph with a load on the engine (not coasting). Dealer couldn't fix problem and was annoying enough to get rid of it, plus wife wanted something a little smaller. Bought a 2005 2WD 4Runner, perfect vehicle no problems. I also later bought a 4WD 2005 Tacoma with similiar thumping issue as the 04 Sequoia 4WD, wonder if it it a 4WD thing.

Anyway seems we have added another member to the family and am considering an 06 Sequoia 4WD and wondering if the thumping and vib problems are still an issue in the 06's??
  • I have the exact problem myself.
    I have a '03 with 62K miles and this just happened this weekend while driving to the store. Called the service dept, made an appt and dropped it off this morning. They called to tell me that it's a computer issue and will cost $1,282 to fix. I also have an issue with my gas gauge dropping to empty with 1/2 tank or more,only happens once in a while, they can't figure this one out either. I'm lost.
    Have you found any solutions to the VSC issue.
  • I asked Daugie for more details and here it is...Thanks again to him.
    ======================================================
    There are white plastic ‘clips’ that hold the interior plastic trim in place. Each of those has a rubber gasket that sits between the clip and the tailgate. On my ‘01 Sequoia, these gaskets were rather thin and not in very good shape. I replaced them with some plumbing washers from the hardware store that were thicker and slightly larger (but not so thick and large that the clips would not hold – check this first.)

Also under the plastic trim are several metal access covers. These are held in place by a combo of clips and screws. The clips are the same design as above. The screws attach into plastic ‘receptacles’ and are therefore waterproof. The access covers have what appears to be standard weather stripping that is available in any hardware store or Home Depot. I carefully and completely cleaned off the old weather strip (which was not in good shape where water would tend to accumulate) and applied new weather strip. Then re-attach and everything is dry. Just make sure that the weather strip is tight against the access cover. Simple and inexpensive.

While you are digging around in there, make sure the drainage holes in the bottom of the tailgate (I think there are 4, if I recall) are clear of debris and that there is no additional debris in the tailgate that might clog the openings. Mine was pretty clean, so that wasn’t a problem, but it is easy to se that it could be.
  • I HAVE A 01 SEQ LIMITED 4X2. I WAS DRIVING AND I RAN OUT OF GAS. SO I WENT TO A GAS STATION AND PUT IN A FULL TANK OF GAS. I TRIED TO START THE CAR BUT IT WOULDNT START. IT SOUNDED JUST LIKE AS IF THERE WAS NO GAS IN THE CAR. WHAT DO I DO? ANY ADVICE AND WHAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR.
  • suhdosuhdo Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Sequoia with factory installed sun roof. The roof makes some squeaking sounds lately as temperature drops. Should I apply some lubricant along the machined parts?
    Does anybody have same problem? It was okay during summer time~..???
  • daugiedaugie Posts: 12
    Can't tell you about the VSC issue (but yeah, it is one hellavu noise!) As for the engine noise, I have 80K on my '01 and get the same noise. Check the exhaust manifolds for leaks. This is apparently a fairly common issue. I have already replaced the right exhaust manifold due to a leak. Nonetheless, my noise has not disappeared. I had a local mechanic listen and his feeling was that the lifters are just getting noisy. A problem of age (something I can relate to).

If you find something different, please let us know! Thx.
    If you search under water issues, you will find that a lot of water is funneled right through the tailgate. That can't help but cause problems back there. My rear window also stopped working a while back (1 year?), but I never bothered with it. When my water problems cropped up, I had to take the tailgate apart anyway, so while I was there, I tapped the motor with a hammer. Presto, the window has been working for about 2 months now. Sounds crazy, but give it a try. It's a lot cheaper than a new motor!
  • :confuse: ">After reading about all these problems I am just wondering whether or not to buy a New 06 Sequoia! My other choice is a Cadillac Escalade. Is there anyone out there who can give me hands on expierence with the 06's Sequoias? Thanks!
  • Update on my VSC Trac/Trac off issue. It went away! On it's own, which makes no sense to me. The system is operating as it should (I tested it in the snow we just got). I am very suspect of the diagnosis that I received from the dealer. I am still getting the noise from the engine on acceleration. Still going to pursue my case with Toyota.
  • I was just told by Napa that I can't put snow chains on my 2001 Sequoia because the struts are too close to the rear wheels. Is this true? Will cables fit? They are a lot more expensive it seems. I just want a set in my Sequoia for emergencies while driving over the Colorado Rockies in case the chain laws are in affect. Thanks.
  • roy13roy13 Posts: 2
    i am glad i found someone with the same problem. we purchased on '05 and found that the idle is so high thet it we are unable to stop the vehicle when it is on a slippery surface like snow or water. when backing out of the garage i was unable to stop, i had my foot on the brake and the back tires were still spinning, like a "whole shot".
    very unsafe. we took it to the dealer and they were helpful for the most part. they put it through several test and found all numbers to be normal. the servic manager said he had an 05 4runner that has the same problem. i feel it is so unsafe that 2 weeks later the vehicle is still there and i am refusing to drive my family in it. the dealer has supplied me with a loaner. i am pursuing this with toyota and will inform you of any details.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Posts: 104
    Are you serious? If you let the truck warm up for 2 minutes the idle drops. It is the VVT engine. I have a Sequoia, 4runner, and Tundra, and they all idle high at start up. When the idle drops it idles at 750 in park, and 600 in drive or reverse. How can you feel that it is unsafe for something it does at start up for 2-3 minutes??
  • roy13roy13 Posts: 2
    the problem is that even after 2-3 minutes when i back out the rpm is at 1600 and it like having your foot on the gas at the same time. every vehicle i have ever owned never required 2-3minutes of warm up time before its ok to drive. my other vehicles have high idle when cold but dont push me down the street when idling high. i had an 04 sequoia and an 05 land crusier for loaners and those drove perfectly fine even after 30seconds of warm up time.unless you experience this problem it hard to understand the lack of control for about 10 - 15 minutes.
  • "I have also noticed my steering has become very stiff when driving in very slow situations "

DANGER DANGER DANGER!!! Recall Notice see below.

One of my kids had the ball joint break off while exiting the highway. Luckily, nobody was hurt, but the Sequoia was severely damaged
    and has been in the shop for over 6 weeks now (I've lost count of the weeks)

Make : TOYOTA Model : SEQUOIA Year : 2002
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V225000 Mfg's Report Date : MAY 06, 2005
    Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 768379
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING ISSUE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE SURFACE OF THE BALL OF THE JOINT MAY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED. THE BALL JOINT MAY EVENTUALLY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE WEAR AND LOOSENESS, RESULTING IN INCREASED STEERING EFFORT.
    Consequence:
    THE LOWER BALL JOINT MAY SEPARATE FROM THE KNUCKLE CAUSING LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS. THE RECALL BEGAN JULY 5, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.
    Notes:
    TOYOTA RECALL NO. 50J. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236.
  • Thank you for this information! Our 2001 rear door handle just broke and its 25deg. outside. Now that I know what this job is going to take I can plan for it. Thank you for sharing!
  • I have owned my 01 for a year now. I bought it with the following problems;
    1. no bright light indicator
    2. no D indicator light
    3. window in tailgate will not operate

As I read these posts, I see that all 3 of these problems seem to be prevalent in the Sequoia. I am going to try and address these issues with Toyota. I will keep everyone informed as to my progress or lack thereof.

Jerry
  • hi everyone. i have a 2002 sequoia that i bought as a certified used vehicle. It has a water leak in the cargo area, above the hatch. the water seems to be coming in thru the hatch hinge on the left side. the dealer said they fixed it once, but now they've had it again for a week and still cant fix it. any ideas out there? thank you.
  • kellykelly Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Sequoia Limited with the in dash 6 disc changer. I tried to load a cd in the other day and it acted like it got jammed. The player then read error 3 on the face. I tried to eject but nothing happened. I read in the owners manual to try this, but it didn't work. It said if problem exists to contact my dealer. Is there another fix I can try before I have to go to the dealer or do I need to take it in? Anyone else encounter this problem? If so, was problem fixed in a day, or do I need to get a loaner? What can I expect? Thanks for the help
    My leak was lower, but the issue is that the tailgate is designed to take on water. I would not be shocked if your issue is the same problem I had. Remove the plastic trim in the area surrounding the leak. The trim is held on by plastic 'clips' that have a small rubber washer/gasket. When these washers get a little worn, it leaks. Go to the hardware store and get some similar rubber plumbing washers and put them on the clips and re-install. It is easy and dirt cheap. I would give that a try first thing... nothing to lose. Good luck.
  • ward6ward6 Posts: 2
    We just recently brought our 02 Toyota Sequoia (We bought it new) into the dealership to have the recall on the front ball joints taken care of and asked them to look @ our rear window because it has not been working in over a year and also our D indicator light has been out. We also needed them to fix our gear shift because it was real loose and not going into park very well. They said the rear window motor needs to be replaced. We had them fix the gear shift which they said was broken (cost - $450), but did not get the rear window fixed because it was going to cost about $550 and that seemed to be about double what we thought it might cost. (we rarely used the rear window anyway, but it would be nice to have it working) They said it would cost $100 to fix the D indicator light, but we didn't have them do it, but after they fixed the gear shift, they said they moved the bulb from the L position up to the D position, so now our D light is on, but we don't have a L light. Anyway, your email caught our attention. We would like to find a rear window motor and install it ourselves if that is the problem.
  • ward6ward6 Posts: 2
    We also had a problem with our gear shift being loose and not going into Park very well. Took it in and they said it was broke. They replaced shift sub assembly. Cost us $450. We have an 02 Sequoia with 97,000 miles on it.
  • What year is your TOY? if 2003 and 2004 then read my procedure posted on this forum #1101. I posted both procedure for transponder Key and Remote.
  • I just recieved a diagnosis on my VSC trac/trac off light that had come on during a drive to work but has since not come on again. The dealer said it was a swith on my brake booster that would effect the performance of my brakes in emergency breaking situations. The switch cost is $900 then more for labor. Has anyone had this problem or can offer help?
  • The dealer just had it for another week and the day after i picked it up, it was leaking again. right now i have it covered with a plastic bag (real hight tech), which is working temporarily - and it's pouring in NY today. I will try your suggestion - thank you and happy new year.