Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jadsjads Posts: 1
    Hello

does anyone know how to open your gas door if the cable as let go.

Is there a secondary release somewhere?

thanks
  • I purchased an '01 Sequoia in Oct. 04. Did not purchase an extended warranty b/c I was purchasing a Toyota! Took it in early January because the VSC? light and parking brake were coming on. Dealer fixed that and informed me that the rear axle seal was leaking, did I have the extended warranty? No, I told him, I just purchased a Certified Toyota three months prior, shouldn't need an extended warranty yet. Additionally, the transmission fluid was filthy (shouldn't that have been noticed when it was certified?) Repair and trans. fluid/flush, whatever, plus oil change, came to 850.00. Dealership phoned a few days later to rate my satisfaction and I expressed my disappointment. Dealer then offered simply to sell me the extended warranty, now at the price of 1000.00 that would cover me until January 2007 (TWO YEARS!)

Service Manager told me that he almost never saw the rear axle seal leak on disc brakes, normally on drum brakes and normally not until well over 100,000 miles. Does this sound strange?
  • I just purchased a 2003 Sequoia SR5 with 43000 miles on it. My VSC and Trac lights would come on an stay on intermittently. I took it back to the Honda Dealer where I purchased it from. They sent it to Toyota. Toyota said the VSC computer needed to be replaced. $1558 for this work. S

Since I have owned the vehicle for 1 week and the selling dealer offers a 3 month/3000 miles warranty, the cost was paid by the Honda dealer. What else should I be looking for?
  • I was delivered an new '05 Limited with 68 miles on it at my office. Driving home it exhibited hard down shifts, erratic up shifts, clunks at stop lights, not shifting out of second, RPM's at 500 at 50 MPH (like a non existent transmission). Two days in the shop later (they were still analyzing)they informed me that it needed a new transmission. I'm getting a new vehicle instead. Now I am worried!
  • I was under the impression that a Toyota certified vehicle was covered 6 year/100k from date of original sale? With a deductible ($250?) per occurance? Also, I was also told that vehicles must be under 66k to be initially certified.

Did you see the actual leak? Unless you have a whole lot of miles, both the seal and trans fluid sounds odd.
  • I have just purchased a 2003 Sequoia. I have noticed that when I turn it off after driving and get out of the car, I hear a loud ticking /pinging noise from under the hood.

Do you know what could be causing this? Anyone else have this?
  • "Since I have owned the vehicle for 1 week and the selling dealer offers a 3 month/3000 miles warranty, the cost was paid by the Honda dealer. What else should I be looking for? "

A lemon law lawyer.

Somewhere in the Edmund's website is information on TSB's & Recalls for cars. Hunt that down and you'll find a few maladies with the Sequoia. For comparison purposes, you could also check the TSB's for another SUV, like the Tahoe. You'll discover you're much better off with the Sequoia.
  • Those are normal sounds of very hot pieces of metal - (like exhaust manifolds) contracting as they rapidly cool off because HOT exhaust gases are no longer passing through them.
  • jhmacjhmac Posts: 1
    The rear window (liftgate) quit working at some point and I was shocked at how much it will take to fix it ( $477) I'm ticked enough that it went out as we rarely use it and have certainly never abused it. Has anyone else had problems with theirs or is this just a flukey deal that we will have to live with until we can afford to fix it? Anyone fixed this on their own?
  • My 2003 Sequoia has a battery drain out problem. If the car sits unstarted for a week the battery drains completely. No power at all. This happened to me at least 5 times. My TOY has 5000 miles on it. I don't know exactly what caused this problem. Brought in to Dealer but they have no clues. If anyone have anything regarding this problem. please post. Thank you.
  • This Sounds too Familiar. I just bought a new 05 SR5 with 5 miles when i drove it off the dealers lot. The next day (Sunday)I brought it back complaining of a vibration. I figured it was a tire out of balance. They said just to make an appointment. Well two weeks later they are waiting for a new rear differential from Japan. They think this will fix the problem. My questions for you or anyone on this forum.

1) Has anyone ever one a lemon law contest against toyota? and if so how? and how do you deal with toyota.

2) Since this (replacing differentials) seems to be a common "fix" for the sequoia, are there any long term mechanical issues with the vehicle after the differential has been replaced?

any advice on these
  • I own a 2004 Limited. When temp. outside is around 32 degrees I start the truck and hear the motor knocking for about 1 or 2 minutes. At first is would go away after a few seconds, seems it is taking longer. The dealer has told me this "normal", oil is not getting to the top

of the motor. I responded by saying, "that can't

be good for a motor", he said"Toyota considersthis normal". I am not going to go for

that.My husband is a Master Tech.and says it is not that. I need a new motor. It will only get worse over time and is not normal in a motor built correctly. My feet are always cold. And I have had the acceloration when stopped. Just the other day around 40mph felt something under my feet and hear a rubbing noise. 14,500 is my milage. Heeelp!
  • I have a 2004 Limited with 14,000 miles did not notice this noise last winter. Just this winter and it seems to be getting worse. I took it to the dealer they say it is normal. I just put up a post today. That is a lot to pay for a truck to hear the engine knock. My husband is a Maste Tech. So they have not heard the end of this yet.

Let me know how it goes.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    Anything with the 4.7L in it slaps when cold. Both of the Sequoias I've owned slap as does the Tundras owned by two friends. This is a direct result of aluminum pistons contracting more than the cylinder sleeve when things get really cold. However, after a few minutes the knocks go away. It seems that Toyota specically set the tolerances at optimum operating temperature. Maybe that's why it's such a smooth engine once it warms up, I don't know. If it makes you feel any better there are many of these engines with well over 100k on them without any problems. I let mine warm in the garage so I don't have to listen to it.
  • bama2bama2 Posts: 5
    i have a 2003 sr5 same engine noise in cold weather. try this when you get home at night turn off heat/ac . next morning leave heat /ac off when you crank see if the type noise changes. my toyota dealer says it normal going to fight with toyota, going to ask for an abnormal sequoia.
  • We had the same problem on our 2003 Sequoia. the dealer changed out three batteries, and the problem went away. They never admitted to finding a problem. In a 1979 car I had a similar problem and ultimately it was on of the electrical items that didn't turn off with the ignition and created a slow drain on the battery. Be sure there are no live PTO's powered up and left on.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Posts: 424
    It happened to me recently. I had let it sit for abvout 5 days and when I tried to start it just kept on clicking but no start. I jump started it and let it be since I rarely ever have my truck sitting more than 2 days. If it happens again, I'm probably switch it out for an optima or interstate battery.
  • I just purchased a 2005 SR5 Sequioa with a rear air suspension. I noticed a loud pop sound with I leave from a stop. It seems to get better as the vehicle warms up. When it is total warmed up, I hardly notice this loud pop. However, I would occasionally noticed it when I come to a stop. No heres the real mystery...I would have 1 to 2 loud POPs when its turned OFF and cooling down!!! These pops are not your usual cooling down noises you would expect to hear...But loud and startling POPS--like a bolts being broken off. Has anyone else experience this problem and may have a solution? I have not been back to the dealer yet. I only have about 135 miles on it. I left the lot with the odometer rading Zero...Please reply anyone!!!!!
  • I experienced the dreaded vibration right away. I thought it might be a wheel out of balance. I brought in back to the dealer, but meanwhile I researched the issue with an internet search for "toyota vibration." YIKES! All sorts of sad tales - most with no resolve.

Anyway, my dealer connected some device to the truck to measure vibration; they determined it was an out of balance driveshaft and replaced it. The problem is resolved.
  • Well, here's a reply...

My wife reported something like this as she was driving the other day at about 35MPH. She thought she might have run over something, but she saw nothing in the rearview mirror.

Sorry, that's all the info I have.