Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    It is probably needing a little bit of brake fluid in the resovoir. As the brake pads wear down, it takes more fluid to apply them. As this happens, the amount needed in the resovoir reduces. Next time you bring it in to get the oil changed, have them check it out. In all liklihood, this is all that is needed.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • arslanarslan Posts: 36
    In my situation, adding brake fluid did not resolve the issue. I regard this as another one of Toyota's nuisance problems, e.g., VSC Trac lights.
  • chimemakerchimemaker Posts: 11
    I have 60k on my 2003 SR5 2WD. Manual calls for replacing the spark plugs.
    My question is; has anyone changed over to the Platinum Plugs?
    Any engine danger/damage by doing this? P.I.A. changing them every 30k miles.
    Curious if anyone else feels this way, (expensive) and changed to the Platinum.
  • raymurraymur Posts: 29
    Has anyone found a good alternative to Toyota's service for brake work on a Sequoia? Toyota prices are extremely high and they offer no deals, at least in my area, please don't respond with, if you want the best service you have to pay for it, or I wouldn't trust anyone but Toyota to service my vehicle. I'm looking for a good alternative to paying for Toyota's overpriced service, especially brake work, because we all know that the brakes on the Sequoia are a problem. So if you have found a good alternative, preferably a national chain, please respond.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Be of strong will and tell ANY brake shop to ONLY replace the pads, at least the first time and even the second if YOU look at the rotors and they're not grooved.

I can put new pads on all four wheels of any of my vehicles in under an hour and that involves jacking each wheel up individually.

That means for the shop there is simply not enough labor (INCOME $$) to do just pads so they always make an effort to sell you on the EXTRAS.
    I also do most of the brake work on my other vehicles. The problem with the Sequoia is that it uses a four piston caliper, which without the required special tool to retract the pistons, can make replacing the pads difficult. Not to mention the multiple pins used in the caliper. Not something I want to attempt without the proper tools.
    Remove the worn pads, install two thin blocks of "soft" wood in their place and then use a "crowbar" (heavy duty slot screwdriver) between the wood block and the rotor, carefully and slowly, to force the calipers open and thereby pistons into the retracted position. Watch to be sure the brake fluid reservoir doesn't overflow in the process.

You can also use the worn pads, one at a time, in the same way.
  • smaturasmatura Posts: 3
    I have to get my oil changed in a couple of weeks so I will have them check it out. Thanks Ken!

Stefan
  • Great my 2002 Sequoia every piece of plastic is breaking. Anyway went to open the rear gate and the handle broke. Now I cannot get the rear gate open. I think that you have to remove the rear panel to get to the latch but how do I get that off without opening the hatch. Can anyone help me?

Thanks
    Mike
  • jimv1jimv1 Posts: 1
    Just put new pads on last night (2001 Seq). I was pleasantly surprised how easy the caliper pistons retracted compared to other vehicles I've worked on. Just used a large screwdriver against a scrap 1x4 and the old pads. Luckily I remember to siphon some brake fluid out before hand. The first side took little over an hour as I studied the components. The other side took under 15min.
  • The following was sent to corporate Toyota in California a couple of months ago. As of this writing, no response...

Dear President:

In March 2002, I purchased a Toyota Sequoia - Limited and although I have been
    a very big fan of your vehicles for years, I have the following complaints
    about the Sales and Service Departments at Bob Massie Toyota in White Oak,
    Pennsylvania:

1) When I purchased the above vehicle, I also purchased a 70,000 mile extended
    warantee (Attachment #1). At the time, I was told that this warantee covered
    “everything and anything that might go wrong with this vehicle bumper to
    bumper”.

2) From the onset, the left-side of the driver's side seat wore excessively in
    one particular spot. Several “attempts” were made to repair this defect
    (Attachments #2, #3, #4). All of which were pathetically unsuccessful. I even
    attempted to have this repair done in McLean, VA (where I recently moved) and
    Koons Toyota stated that the repair was done “bad” (Attachment #5). I got the
    impression that the Service Department at Koons didn't even want to touch such
    poor worksmanship. For your review, I have attached a photograph of the state
    of the repair to this seat currently looks like (Attachment #6).

3) Shortly after purchasing the above vehicle, a sharp clicking noise was
    noticed coming from the far left corner of the driver's side dashboard. Bob
    Massie Toyota refused to acknowledge the existance of this noise (Attachment
    #7) although this “pillar noise” was a well documented issue in the Toyota
    Technical Service Bulletins (Attachment #8).

As of this writing, the above vehicle has nearly 80,000 miles on it and it is
    admittedly outside of the original 70,000 mile extended “warantee” and my
    situation obviously doesn't matter to the Sales and Service Departments at Bob
    Massie Toyota.

What really does matter to me, at this juncture, is if Corporate Toyota TRULY
    does care about its long-standing reputation and its willingness to treat its
    customers properly.

Rather than only complain about the “quality of service” (or the lack thereof!)
    that I encountered at Bob Massie Toyota, I offer the following as potential
    solutions to each of the above items, in order to appropriately resolve this
    matter in an amicable fashion:

1) Corporate Toyota mus insist and enforce that the Sales and Service
    Departments at Bob Massie Toyota either provide TRUE “bumper to bumper”
    coverage on the extended warantees that they offer or have them stop stating
    this as “fact”. Anything less is deliberate deception.

2) Since Bob Massie Toyota made several pathetic attempts to repair the
    driver's side seat, I am politely requesting that Corporate Toyota make
    suitable arrangements for this item to be either be properly and professionally
    repaired or to have the seat replaced in its entirety.

3) Since Bob Massie Toyota clearly ignored my attempts and requests for them to
    repair the “pillar” clicking noise, I am politely requesting that Corporate
    Toyota make suitable arrangements to have this item properly and professionally
    repaired.

It should be obvious to you that I am clearly unhappy with the quality of
    service that I have unfortunately encoutered at Bob Massie Toyota and my
    subsequent disinterested treatment there. I have unfortunately found their
    entire Sales and Service Departments to be both deceptive and completely unable
    to competently service the above vehicle.

What concerns me even more is what I don't and haven't yet “seen”. If Bob
    Massie Toyota's obvious acceptable level of service is as inferior as the above
    seat repair, I absolutely shudder at the thought of what all has (or hasn't)
    been done in terms of maintenance to this vehicle.

It should also be obvious that I will never purchase another vehicle at this
    dealership and many of my family and friends feel the very same way because of
    these obviously pathetic attempts at maintenance and repair, in addition to the
    nearly constant clicking that is heard in the passenger compartment.

Trust me when I say that Bob Massie Toyota is clearly doing Corporate Toyota a
    dis-service by their innept and deceptive Sales and Service Departments. They
    are also clearly undermining Toyota's world-wide reputation and all of your
    well-intended marketing efforts as well.

Although it is very clear to me that Bob Massie Toyota could obviously care
    less about losing me as a customer, I would be terribly surprised and
    disappointed if Corporate Toyota takes this very same position. Please know
    that I will be grateful to you and your office for any and all efforts on their
    part to resolve this matter. Thanks, in advance, for your time and
    consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

A “Pending” Loyal Toyota Customer,

LEE G. DENEAULT
  • donaldvfdonaldvf Posts: 1
    Several weeks ago the battery on my 2004 Sequoia discharged. It seems since then that I have lost the function that automatically shuts off the headlights when the car is locked or if it is left unattended. Is this sensible and can it be restored without having to make a visit to my distant dealer?

Thanks in advance

Don
  • hybuildhybuild Posts: 1
    Would the link for the Program procedure have instructions for the 03 4 runner and 02 and 04 camry? I am looking for the programming procedures for my spare keys. I'd appreciate any helpful information.
  • I am just posting this out of curiousity. I have a 2002 Sequoia, 100,000 miles. Yesterday I was working on a trailer attatched to the car. I ran the battery down. My wife took the truck for a short drive. She then had trouble starting it the battery was weak. She managed to get it started. She drove it home - 2 miles. The automatic lights would not turn off. She tryied turning the lights knob to off. She locked, unlocked. The lights would not go off. We had had this problem once before (although I did not remember it at the time). I told her to let the car run for 1/2 hour to charge up the battery. I go turn the car off, lock the doors. The lights go off. I then remembered I had had it about 30,000 miles ago when the battery was very weak. I replaced the battery (it had 70,000 miles on it. I had gotten my money's worth.) The problem went away.

I was curious if anyone else had heard of this.

joe
  • alokaaloka Posts: 1
    I have the same problam with my 2001 Sequoia
    dealer wants $375 fo replace this little plastic handle . if I know how to open the door withot spending $375 I can do it my self for $75.
    did you get your door fixed?
    please let me know if you know something.
    Thanks
    Aloka
    We are now to the point where your newer vehicle may have literally a hundred ECU's, inexpensive microprocessors. I recently had the alternator fail on my 92 LS400 and the first indication I had was various dash indicators coming on during a drive. My 2001 Porsche C4's ABS light would illuminate during a drive and it would turn off by restarting the car. New battery did the trick.

My assumption is that the ECU that controls your lights had just enough voltage to turn the lights on but with the extra (substantial) system loading of the lights the voltage dropped below its required operational voltage level and it shut down with the lights on.
  • andersduandersdu Posts: 1
    Similar situation with my 2001 SR5 - I used a screw driver - from the exterior - to lever the fixed part of the latch and open the door. I then removed the interior panel and loosened license plate inset covering the latch to remove the latch. I drilled the broken plastic stem and remaining latch part and installed a fine threaded steel screw, (all must be well aligned) and now the repaired part is as strong as it should have been in the first place!

Duncan
  • sikoyasikoya Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2005 Limited Toyota Sequoia (2WD) and I have noticed steering wheel vibrations that starts at 30 miles per hour. Could it be caused by the OEM Dunlop tires (with poor reviews at Tirerack.com)? Has anybody experiencing the same problem? I would appreciate any reply. Thanks!
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    My guess would be that it is much more likely that it is a ballance issue with one of the wheels. Have the wheels/tires re-ballanced and my guess would be that the problem will be resolved.

Ken
    Unfortunately, replacing the rotors is a different matter, which was my original question about places that have reasonable prices to perform the work. By the way I'll pass on to the Toyota Dealers that they are wasting money buying specialized equipment to do brake work. All they need is a piece of wood and a large screwdriver, think of the money that they could save. I wonder if one needs a specific type of wood or any wood will work.