Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hi there,
    I have a 2002 Sequoia and at 37,000 miles the drivers side door handle cracked and then broke off. Now at 40,000 miles the passenger side door handle is cracked and will break off the next time some tries to use the door. This is frustrating for me as a Real Estate Agent. I have people in and out of the car often. I hate to have to tell them wait a second don't open that door! They then ask about the problem and I explain I have not had the time to go in and pay $110.00 for the repair. My first vehicle was a Toyota and have owned them ever since. This one issue has troubled me for many reasons including safety.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Does anyone out there have problems with alignment and tire problems? I am at the end of my rope.....
  • Has anyone experienced problems removing the Rear Differential Fill (not Drain)Plug from a Sequoia? Mine is a 2002 model year. I'm experienced with cars and just can seem to figure out how this fill plug could be so stubborn - almost appears to be welded into place. Any thoughts from you good people - especially if you work on the truck yourself . . .
  • This truck appears to be especially unsympathetic with lower grade tires. My second set of tires (Cooper brand) on my 2002 model are starting to look shabby with 30k on them. Once they begin to wear unevenly, due to a poorly balanced tires or poor alignment, you're in trouble. Be sure to find a tire store with an especially good reputation with truck tires, not just cars. Good luck.
  • No, this procedure only work for 2003 and 2004 because 2001 and 2002 had difference chip inside.
  • Have you tried heating it up with a torch?
  • Recall covered year 2001 to 2003, I just got mine done last week (Seq.2003)
  • Here's my reply to another post similar to yours: As I type this, my 2002 Sequoia, 45K miles, is having the driver's side interior door handle replaced. I asked the service advisor if he's seen many, he said a few, and added, "it's just plastic, you know." I've been told it's about a $30 part and and hour (aka $80) to replace, we'll see. If anyone hear's of a warranty or good will adjustment, pass it along. Thanks.
  • The VSC & Trac lights are on constantly on my 2003 Sequoia. My car is not yet 3 years old and I seem to lose control of the car & my breaks lock up at about 2-3 mph about every other day. It seems to be a safety issue, but the dealership says it's not.

I am not unaware of this problem as my mom, a co-worker & my husband's employer all had the same problems on their Sequoias. My issue is that my truck is just out of warranty & the dealership wants $1300 to replace my computer sensor when my mom's was repaired under warranty a couple of months ago b/c her's went out at 36K miles. Of the 3 other owners, one other was in warranty & the 3rd got half of his repair paid for. I have reported this to NHTSA complaint site & saw numerous complaints about this problem. There are also numerous complaints on this forum about the same issue. Can anyone provide me some useful insight about why there has not been some type of recall?

Also, can anyone give me some guidance on getting Toyota to pick up all or some of the cost of the repair? I have a meeting with the district factory rep tomorrow to discuss this. Thanks
  • I have the EXACT problem with my 2003 Sequoia with 50k miles, and I believe it is an extremely dangerous situation!
    On turns, especially right turns when trying to accelerate into fast moving traffic I experience a total loss of power with no acceleration. I am pumping the gas pedal and pressing it to the floor, and I just coast slowly into the oncoming traffic and wait to be rear ended at any second. This happens in dry road conditions, and seems to occur more often when the engine is cold. My skid/traction lights blink for a second or two, then I re-gain engine power another second or so after that. I have also noticed my steering has become very stiff when driving in very slow situations (parking lots, driveway etc.), I don't know if this is related.

Dave - Strongsville, Ohio
  • Toyata knew this problem and it did be a safety issue! I was quite luck at the time I got this problem: I was only a couple of miles from one of Toyata dealers, not on Sunday/evenings, and it's still under warranty. Dealer knew the problem after my simple description: it's computer chip defect and the repair rate was ~12% at the time I changed the chip for my 2003 SR5, it would cause mis-function for break system. Also, I was told Toyata already replaced the supplier so I didn't need to worry about the replacement. However, I don't think Toyata willings to spend millions for the recalls on this issue until some serious accedents related to it.
  • I HAVE A 2004 TOYOTA SEQUOIA LIMITED THAT I JUST PURCHASED AT THE END OF AUGUST W/ 48,000 MILES. IT IS A CERTIFIED CAR. SINCE THE DAY I BROGHT IT HOME FROM THE DEALER, THE VSX OFF, VSX TRAC & BRAKE LIGHT ON THE DASH BOARD ALL STAY LIT UP. I HAVE IT BACK TO THE DEALER 3 TIMES & IT IS STILL NOT FIXED. I ALSO HAVE NOTICED A PROBLEM WITH MY BRAKES. WHEN I COME OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL AT A STOP LIGHT, IT IS NOT A SMOOTH TRANSITION TO THE GAS. THE CAR IS BUCKING OR SOMETHING IS WRONG. THIS LOOKS SIMIALR TO SOME OF THE PROBLEMS YOU ARE EXERIENCING. ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVVICE FOR ME OR A SMILAR PROBLEM THAT MAY HAVE BEEM FIXED? THE DEALER IM DEALING WITH IS CURRENTLY CLUELESS.. THANKS IN ADAVANCE
  • My 2001 Sequoia's back window didn't work either. I fixed it by lowering it using the key in the back door. Then it worked from the switch on the dash also. :shades:
  • What was your recourse. The same happened today to my 2001. My wife was terrified she had a vechicle full of children on a single lane road.

For month I have been telling toyota. They wanted me to continue driving.

Keith
  • kokikoki Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 sequoia with stock 16 inch rims and tires. Is it possible to change my rims and put the sensor to the new rims? Can this be done..... Any body knows...

koki
  • My wife has a 2004 Sequoia and we just today noticed that we she gets out of the car after parking it anywhere a red light flashed on the dash board that looks like a car with a key in it. We have jiggled the key in the ignition, I pulled the fuse for the dash and it keeps lighting up off and on. Any help appreciated in advance

Paul
  • Don't think its anything. I have it on mine too. I think its part of the on-board security system/ keyless entry.
  • Yes< I have a 2005 Sequoia SR5 2wd. I have the same problem, exactly! I thought it was an engine miss since it was happening on a slight gradient "under load" at about 30 to 50 mph. It did not seem quite as apparent when I put the engine into a lower gear. The local dealer said there was nothing wrong. I disagree! I traded in a 4-runner 03 model with 4wd and that did not have the problem and was a far better ride even with sport suspension! i did expect more of Toyota. Let's hope someone finds the answer and lets us know!
    Has the area tech got hold of you yet? Any answers? :mad:
  • I am truly disappointed in my recently purchased 2005 Sequoia and its issues (problems with only 2000 miles on it). Toyota is aware of problems but still have no fix. So I am paying for vehicle that continues to have issues that Toyota cannot fix and don't have any idea when they will have a fix. I'm in the process of going through arbitration with them right now but feel I will probably loss my shirt for something out of control and something I think Toyota should have disclosed before I purchased the vehicle. I also own 1998 Toyota and other general maintenance have had no problems. Toyota has always had a reputation of quality vehicle. What happened?

My advice to potential buyers would be "BUYER BE WARE". You might want to look at another make of vehicle until Toyota gets back to producing quality vehicles.
  • yeah hi i just bought my 2001 toyota seqouia from a used car dealership
    i am having trouble witn back window also.
    i called dealership they want to charge me 80 bux to look at it .
    and technician stated that (we told him problem) it mght cost 300 bux
    any solutions to my problems