Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wilnerwilner Posts: 30
    i have a 2001 sequoia limited 4x2 and the mileage is almost 92,000 miles. right now i have no problem with my sequoia i only replaced the brake pads both front and rear, gear oil, and the battery recently. do i need to replace the timing belt already? thank you very much.
  • arslanarslan Posts: 36
    Toyota strongly recommends that the timing belt be changed at 90K miles. The process of replacing the timing belt requires the removal of the serpentine belt. So that belt is usually replaced as well, but at no additional labor cost to you -- a good deal.
  • I have about 8500 miles on my new Sequoia, but something does not feel quite right with both the front seats as far as heat in them?? When I have set them in high, they don't even feel like they are on low and when I set them on low they feel lukewarm? Has anyone out there noticed if there seats seem cool for being heated? I traded in my 2002 4-Runner with factory seat heaters and they get alot warmer. The dealer wants to take the seats out and check the wiring? I am not so comfortable with that.
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    My 02 Sequoia will toast you on high. Low is comfy. Assuming it's warranty I would let the dealer have at it. It should not be rocket science.
  • I took it to the dealer and they had it all day and they took the seat out and checked all the wiring and they thought maybe some connections were not solid? It seems warmer, but not burning me out. I thought my 02 4runner was much warmer...I guess that i could ask to replace heater? They said it ready 90-100 degrees were testing?
  • My 04 Limited (70K miles) started have strange electrical issues last week.

1st. My cruise control light came on and started blinking (banged on the dash to make it go out).

2nd. All my passenger windows and the rear window stopped working. Doesn't matter if drivers lock is on or not. Didn't do anything and it started working again on it's own.

It's been a week and now the windows stopped working again.....what I did find out is that it's tied to the drivers door somehow because I was trying to open the other windows and they wouldn't work so I got out and looked at the fuses (all-fine) while I had the drivers door open I hit the switches and all the windows worked.......the minute I closed the door..they stopped again. I got in the truck and held the rear window switch and opened the drivers door.....it went down and while it was going down I closed the door.....it stopped in it's tracks.

I'M BUMFUZZLED!!! :confuse:

Any advice...aside from getting rid of it.
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 157
    When I shift into "D", the shift indicator light does not light anymore. Is there a fix or is it something that I live with?

2007 Miata, 2010 BMW 535xiT, 2010 GMC Sierra SLE, 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

• c650c650 Posts: 8
    We have a 2003 Sequoia Limited. The Homelink has started opening and closing our garage doors without pressing the buttons. When you open or close the doors, of the CAR, the garage doors go up or down. If you hit the manhole cover 1/2 block up the street, the garage doors activate. Zeroed out the Homelink, same result--no way that should happen. Called Homelink, no cure. Had the dealer disconnect the plug, takes out moonroof/compass/temp gauge as well. Any toughts????
  • reaureau Posts: 18
    The rear door handle on my Sequoia also broke at the base, the plastic broke. My dealer told me that the they find that the cables have been "stretching" and that if I did not replace the whole mechanism for $400+ it would keep happening. So, to fiix a broken plastic handle it wound up costing me $400. I had it done recently and it has been working fine so far.
  • reaureau Posts: 18
    I have an 03 Sequoia that needs a 60,000 checkup. I have been faithful on oil changes, etc. My Toyota dealership has recently moved into a new multimilliion dollar building and my quote has risen from around $700 to $1,300. I have been told I need: 60,000 mile service $585.00, replace battery $146.00, flush hydrolic brake system $109.00, replace drive belt $105.00, throttle body service $54.95, pressurized fuel injection service $124.00, replace air filter $35.00, replace rear differential fluid $70.00 and minor tune-up $105.00. I am a soccer mom and basically just drive the kids around with the occasional long trip (4 hours) to visit relatives. Please tell me should I have all of this work done??? I am suspicious because at first I was told my maintenance was going to run around $700 and now its $1,336. The car runs great! and with the exception of replacing the rear door handle mechanism and some air induction service done I have been very happy. Also, at 55,000 I did have a complete trans service, coolant flush, 8 cyl tune up, air induction service and new tires, (my current dealer did not know this because we just recently moved here from out of state).
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    It sounds like you did most of the 60k mile items at 55k miles. I think it is time to find a high quality independent Toyota mechanic. If you have receipts on all that was done at 55k miles you should just get the items missed taken care of.
  • arslanarslan Posts: 36
    The service maintenance guide recommends the following services at 60,000 miles:

(1) Replace engine air filter;
    (2) Replace engine coolant;
    (3) Replace engine oil and oil filter;
    (4) Rotate tires;
    (5) Lubricate propeller shaft, if 4WD, and re-torque propeller shaft bolt;
    (6) Replace non-platinum spark plugs;
    (7) Inspect:
    (a) transmission fluid;
    (b) ball joints/dust covers;
    (c) brake system;
    (d) drive belts;
    (e) drive shaft boots, if 4WD;
    (f) engine valve clearance;
    (g) exhaust pipes/mountings;
    (h) front/rear differential fluid;
    (i) fuel lines/connections;
    (j) fuel tank gasket;
    (k) fuel tank band/fuel tank vapor vent system hoses;
    (l) steering gear box;
    (m) steering linkage/boots;
    (n) transfer case oil.
  • We have a Sequoia 2002 and the sunroof is sticking when you close it and will not close. Even if you try to help by pulling it along it will not close.
  • My 2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 is doing the same thing - no "D" indicator light. Did you find out how to fix it? or is it just something that we're going to have to live with?
  • sb55sb55 On an Island in VermontPosts: 157
    No answer from this forum, and I haven't taken it to a garage or dealer. It's not such a big deal now as long as the N and 2 don't go out! My 60k service is due and I will go to an independent shop and will bring it up.

2007 Miata, 2010 BMW 535xiT, 2010 GMC Sierra SLE, 2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

• CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS. I CANNOT GET THE REAR DOOR OPEN TO EVEN FIGURE OUT HOW TO REPLACE THE DOOR HANDLE AND WHATEVER MECHANISM MAY BE DAMAGED. THE DEALER PRICED IT AT $550, WHICH I BELIEVE IS RIDICULOUS. JUST NEED A LITTLE GUIDANCE,SINCE NO TOYOTA DEALER IS WILLING TO HELP. THE PLASTIC HANDLE IS GONE WITH NO WAY TO OPEN THE DOOR.
    THANKS,
    ROGER
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    Is anyone familiar with Toyota's Maintenance Plans?

I'm considering purchasing the Toyota Auto Care Plan (this is not the extended warranty). I've recently purchased a 2008 Platinum Sequoia and was curious if the Auto Care Plan makes sense at the right price.

I can purchase the Premium 4 yr / 55,000 mile plan w/ 5000 mile service intervals for $875.00. The list price for this plan is $1355. Here's the price schedule http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_comp- arisonpage
    This plan would cover all scheduled maintenance every 5000 miles including the 3 major scheduled services during the first 55,000 miles. Here's a link to what's included in the 15K, 30K & 45K major services http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_prem- iumCoverage

The non-major services at 5K intervals would include
    Oil and filter changes
    Lubrication of key chassis parts
    Tire rotations
    19-point inspection http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_19po- intInspection

At first blush it would appear to be a pretty good investment based on my guess that the 3 major services alone must be around $1200 - 1500. Combined with a total of 10 oil changes at about $30/ea.

Any one see a downside?
  • mtufenkmtufenk Posts: 14
    The only downside is they have your money up front. I purchased the same plan when I bought my 07 but I paid $1,200. My truck is a 4x4 and the major services are quite expensive. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me especially if you factor in inflation.
  • I'm a US Naval Officer stationed in South Korea and I'm about to purchase a 2003 Sequoia Limited 4X4 from another US military officer. The car looks great with only 41K miles, but the VSC, Trac, and ABS lights are locked on. The seller claims that he had that light on for a while, but the vehicle was unaffected by the warning lights, claiming that he felt the ABS and traction control kicking when he was driving in snow. He stated that he wanted to get the dianostic code reset, but there's nobody in South Korea who could do it. He seems honest enough, but I've read too many complaints about this problem in this forum.
    Paying $22K for a used car, I want to make sure I can trust it, especially with no Toyota maintenance support available in this country.

Please help. Thanks