Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• arslanarslan Posts: 36
    My 03 SR5 was going strong at 136,000 until I heard a scraping sound that I thought correctly to be a worn brake pad. In any case, the dealer said my front brake pads and rotors would have to replaced. In addition, my right brake caliper is done. Then came the shocker: my right sway bar link was no good, and my steering rack was leaking. The consultant didn't have to mention that my check engine light was still on. On a prior visit, I told him my oxygen sensor was probably bad.

I'm going to try to do some of work myself. To that end, I ordered brake pads and a brake caliper overhaul kit from a Toyota dealer. I'd like to go aftermkt on everything else, assuming, of course, better quality parts are available. Any suggestions?
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    My 02 Lmtd just crossed 140K. So far bulletproof. Please keep us in the loop regarding "do it yourself" sway bar link replacement. Big hammers, presses etc.
    Thx ..... Harbo <(-;
  • 004runner004runner Posts: 7
    One night this week our 2005 Sequoia SR5 sat outside overnight during a heavy rain. When we got up the two front windows AND the sunroof were open. What a mess.

Since then, it has happened a number of times........ After we've left the vehicle closed up, we return later to find the two front windows and the sunroof open. We've replaced the battery and terminals and had it looked at by the dealership. They hooked it up to their computers and couldn't find any error codes.

I suspect it has something to do with moisture/rain. Since we've had some dry days, we haven't had the problem again. Definitely want to get it sorted out though before the rain starts again.

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Al
  • sequoia22sequoia22 Posts: 2
    I found out that in lorder to have a recall we must file a complaint by calling 1-888-327-4236. There are over 1000 people on various sites about vsc,emergency brake, check engine lights etc, but the only way we can get results is by calling and officially filing a complaint with the vehicle safety dept at number above.Lets help ourselves and one another. This is a safety issue that must be investigated. The man i spoke with said he only had 30 similar complaints as of 5-9-10!!!!
  • sequoia22sequoia22 Posts: 2
    Maybe we should contact Call for Action at 816-932-4321 to resolve our sequoia issues once and for all! Watching NBC News, i have seen how they send investigators out and get great results for the little people being taken advantage of by many businesses and corporations. Also you can call the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 and file a complaint. With enough consumers filing, wouldn't they have to do something. I'm calling both numbers because this is ridiculous!
    We are approaching 150,000 trouble free and safe miles on our 2002 Toyota Sequoia. It performs with utmost dependability for my wife and I, our children and grandchildren as we have local and out of state travel opportunities. I believe many of the issues surrounding electronic and computer controlled systems that do not function, may be a hazard best eliminated by solid mechanical connections (vs drive by wire or sensors) and expanded required driver education. Such things as vehicle skid control and accident avoidance can be taught, albeit with expense and time involvement. Given the number of people killed and injured each week (many of whom are our young people) it seems an effort that should be supported. Fortunately several drivers training schools are available and state support is expanding. Maybe part of the multi-millions of Federal fines to Toyota and other companies could be devoted to safe driving instruction.
    Signed, Harbo, raised on mud, snow, ice, gravel and former national competition license holder SCCA. <(-;
  • doby2doby2 Posts: 3
    I have to agree with the ditto. It's a very reliable vehicle that had a few concerns. My family and I have had two Seq we had a 2001 one of the first in area and our dealer was so great they delivered it to the door from there Indiana plant. We now have our second one 2005 and it hasn't let us down. My only complaint is the brakes and tires I Think that's because of the weight of the truck other wise it's been great and we have not had any major issues out of the vehicles.
  • trapper51trapper51 Posts: 27
    I have had the best luck with Toyota brand brake components, but a cabbie just told me he buys brake components that are guaranteed for life - just buy replacements and they reimburse you. Never heard of that but he swears by it - readily available too. Tires I use and have had very good luck with are Michelin LTX - long wearing and get me in and out of muddy places where I fish. My '01 (1st Jade Green shipped to New England) Seq has 218k miles and it owes me nothing at all. I'd buy another in a minute.
  • doby2doby2 Posts: 3
    What recall for 2003 didn't hear our year! I had the same issue I've bought two sets of tires in the last 12 months because they were damage due to the ball joint issue. if you get an answer let me know!
    02 Sequoia Lmt 2WD. I have 140,000 troublefree miles. 90,000 plus on the Michelin LTX with a tread wear factor of 500. Check the latest LTX which has a tread wear factor of 700. Unbelieveable. The original Bridgestones did not make 50,000.
    On my families (the kids) older cars we use BrakeMaster which does have lifetime parts replacement. For the Sequoia we use our excellent Right Toyota in Scottsdale, AZ.
  • maywindmaywind Posts: 2
    Good to know I am not the only one with this problem. I drive a 2003 Sequoia. I had the ball joints replaced last October 2005 as part of the recall. Since then, my front right tire has been wearing out a lot faster than the others. I've taken the car in repeatedly for alignments. That didn't do any good. I've had to buy new tires every 20,000 - 25,000 miles. You're right - this is NOT NORMAL. When I contacted the Toyota Customer Center, I was told to take it back to the dealer who changed the ball joints. The dealer looked at it and said everything looks good. Well, it is not good. I sincerely believe that Toyota will sweep this problem under the rug. I'm sure they have bigger problems to deal with right now. I don't think I will buy another Toyota again. By the way, how did you deal with your problem?
  • saramaddiesaramaddie Posts: 19
    I have a 2008 Sequoia and have not yet taken it in for the recall service. I'm concerned that they will do more harm than good. Has anyone taken theirs in and is there any noticeable difference?
  • mccmmccm Posts: 1
    2004 Sequoia - had it detailed - looks great but now buttons are stuck on rear climate control

Will try to clean first but may have to remove.

Any thoughts on cleaning the sticky buttons?

Anyone know how to remove the unit?
    How about trying air pressure (or) one of the computer air pressure cleaners.
  • rtribblertribble Posts: 45
    We also have a 2008 Sequoia and have not taken it in for the recall yet as I also am concerned that the "fix" will be worse than it is now and also was waiting to see if anyone had received the "brake override" up-grade that was promised by Toyota as I believe this would make our Sequoia much safer.
    Has anyone been able to get the promised brake override installed? I know some claimed that the 2008 Sequoia came with this already in place but ours definitely does not have it.
  • gparker2gparker2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia and the leather has cracked on the sides of both the drivers and passenger seats. Toyota says this is normal wear and tear. The car is less than 5 years old. I believe it is poor quality of material for the area where the leather is located. The passenger seat is rarely used. I would hesitate to get a Toyota with leather interior unless you plan on having ripped up seats before you finish paying for the SUV.
    My 02' limited w/150K and factory leather is just beginning to show a crack on the left driver side just above the controls. Sounds like a case of a poor batch of leather on the o5'. Ask the dealer for repair adjustment.
  • luism1luism1 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the name of the 2 selenoid like switches that are under the toyota sequoia brake master cylinder?
  • vchongvchong Posts: 1
    I am having the exact problem you described at the moment. The passenger side tire shows heavy outer wear, while the driver's side tire shows some wear on the outer side. I have already ordered new tires for the front $450.00 ouch. And plan to have an alignment done when they are installed. However I have doubts that this is going to correct the problem. I looked at the suspension and I cannot even see any place for a camber adjustment. Would really like to know what the fix for this is before I end up spending a fortune.
  • maywindmaywind Posts: 2
    I don't think there is a fix for this particular problem. I've taken my Sequoia in several times (and at different places) for alignments. No luck. If we write to Toyota, maybe they can look into it. But, with the problems they've had to deal with this past months, I seriously doubt that they will give us the time of day. I am resigned to the fact that I probably got a lemon and I can't wait to get rid of this money trap.