Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Second Service - 2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Acura
imageSecond Service - 2014 Acura MDX AWD Long-Term Road Test

Time to take in our long-term 2014 MDX for its second service.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

I'll never be surprised by this. $186 for basically a bunch of "checks" (which I'd hope would be done free by the dealership), oil change, tire rotation and Diff Fluid. If I can do all that (although we don't have AWD, so I didn't need to rear diff fluid), anybody can. Raise vehicle and do both tires and oil in no time flat ($25 for Mobil 1, $5 for Honda Oil Filter) and the rear diff fluid for $30. $60 in parts and $125 in labor for something that should take a qualified tech well under an hour.

• g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89

@kirkhilles1 said:
    I'll never be surprised by this. $186 for basically a bunch of "checks" (which I'd hope would be done free by the dealership), oil change, tire rotation and Diff Fluid. If I can do all that (although we don't have AWD, so I didn't need to rear diff fluid), anybody can. Raise vehicle and do both tires and oil in no time flat ($25 for Mobil 1, $5 for Honda Oil Filter) and the rear diff fluid for $30. $60 in parts and $125 in labor for something that should take a qualified tech well under an hour.

My thought exactly...I've done at least 100 oil changes on V6 Honda powertrains and 20-25 rear diff services and if I'm working casually in my garage, no more that 15-20 mins to do each of the above...$186 would leave a lot leftover cash for beer if I was doing the job...Of course, service is how dealership stay in business in most cases...

• schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

All dealership service departments have these "inspection" items on the schedule. At least Acura is one of the cheaper prices among luxury dealerships.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Notice how one-third of the items are brake-related. Hey - it's a Honda...crappy brakes and then they ding YOU to check and make sure they're not going bad.

• tirekickingtirekicking Member Posts: 30

That's how much I paid for my Mercedes oil change. I'm surprised to see Acura so expensive.

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571

Rear differential fluid gets replaced at 14,640 miles? I would have thought that would be something that gets changed every 30,000 miles or so. Kind of surprising,

• tirekickingtirekicking Member Posts: 30

I'm wondering why the noises coming from the engine weren't addressed? You mentioned them twice already. Many 2014 MDX owners are having the same trouble and more and even worse: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-new-2014-acura-mdx/66322-direct-injection-engine-unacceptable-noise-level.html

• bigbsvobigbsvo Member Posts: 1

Where can I buy mobil one for $25? It's $37 for a six pack at sams club.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mobil is always running coupon specials. Here's the current rebate.

If you know of other deals, you can post them in the Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons discussion in the Forums here.