Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Tesla
imageNew Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

We installed new tires on our 2013 Tesla Model S this week, but this time we decided to try the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jli585jli585 Member Posts: 8

This tire situation sounds like a nightmare. All the gas savings are being spent on rubber and alignments!

• Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156

It looks like all four tires can be loaded in the trunk area by placing them upright. Huge trunk!

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827

This hopefully means that you plan on keeping the car a little longer. As for tire life, I'm still skeptical...

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649

Man, to have to replace so many sets of tires at 23K miles...

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2014

@jli585 said:
    This tire situation sounds like a nightmare. All the gas savings are being spent on rubber and alignments!

If you can afford a car with such MSRP, there's no question you can afford tires. alignment and whatever else. Plus all the power charging stations are free so if you use them a few times a year you'll get your alignment money back and keep your car gas savings...

• Options
    bassrockerxbassrockerx Member Posts: 24

if you buy a tesla don't get 21 inch wheels unless you are prepared to buy a set of tires every year. i haven't seen any vehicle with 21 inch wheels not go thru tires fast so im not going to say this is a problem exlusive to tesla but it still bites.

looking at the choises of 245/35/21 tires if it was my money i would be buying NITTO INVOs they are girppyer than the Extreme contacts and have more steering feel while also maintaining the EXCELENT mannors of the Extreme Contacts. Ive had the extreme contacts in the past and i can see why tesla picked those tires because they are perfect for a luxury car they soak up bumps excelantly and are very very quiet and going from hard falkens it was like driving on a cloud. However the steering feel lag took a bit of getting used to and it is enough to notice when driving spiritedly. (however your typical tesla customer would never notice this.)

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649

@banhugh said:

Except that people have justified not having to buy gas as a major reason to buy the car (http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-cost-of-gas-vs-electricity.html).

Ok, so you can get your money back on alignment. What about the thousand bucks on tires every 10,000 miles? That's 10 cents a mile just on tires... That's how much you'd spend on gas on a 40mpg highway car travelling the same distance.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320

How much petroleum is used to make those tires that need replacing every 10/12k?

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    redxsageredxsage Member Posts: 21

As has been noted by others, the other vehicles in the world that use tires such as these, and have the performance to match, go through tires just as quickly -- and you still have to buy gas. So the 'savings' remains with purchasing the electric vehicle instead.