Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2007 and earlier

Comments

• Black 4 Door 2002 OZ Rally Lancer
    2.0 SOHC 16 Valve 4cyl.
    Auto, A/C, CD, Spoiler
    MSRP $17,192 Spoiler was only option
    City 24 Hwy 30

White 4 Door was no longer on lot, but remember 5 Speed about $16,200

Yellow in locked showroom has huge spoiler, don't know price.
  • asdxereasdxere Posts: 29
    Does anyone know if the 2002 Lancer has 100k platinum plugs ?

Did ANY of the Mitsubishi vehicles switch to them
    in the past few years ?
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    Geez, that is pretty disappointing for a car of this size! And since all Lancer models have the same engine, I'm assuming the ES and LS automatics get the same mileage.
  • floridianfloridian Posts: 219
    Saw my first Lancer in person this AM. I know style is in the eye of the beholder but geez this thing is SO bland it just seems to disappear into the surrounding background. Drove past it twice before I even noticed it. At first I thought it must be a 2002 Daewoo Nubira with a throwback to the old Pontiac Le Mans (remember that one)grille work. If Mitsu thinks that they will be competetive with Ford, Honda & Hyundai in the econobox class with this puppy then they had better price it REALLY down there.

The one I saw had impressive build quality, great paint & body fit very good, but I think they have pulled a massive "[non-permissible content removed]" on the style. Why go to all the trouble to intro a "new" car (they have been sold in Europe & elsewhwere too I guess prior to coming to the US) be so plain jane. The Hyundai Elantra will blow the doors off this thing in sales I fear. Just MHO tho.

Floridian
    sorry bout that typo...
  • 29/41 (city/hwy) 5 spd
    27/39 (city/hwy) auto

according to mitsubishicars.com
  • mitsugstmitsugst Posts: 41
    Black Lancer OZ-Rally sighted at a Mitsu Dealer in Austin, TX. It was nice, for the money, but not what I am looking for. I'd still rather have the EVO.
    wow, a disappointment at best!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    It is a bit on the low side, but considering it is a 2.0 liter engine, not totally out of line. It nearly matches the mileage of the 2.0 liter Zetec in the Focus. But I still think they could have done better. 26/33 with the auto would have been more acceptable.

As far as the rest of the car is concerned, overall, it was a nice effort. I am most impressed with the interior. Very upscale looking and totally blows away the Civic and Corolla in that respect. The exterior is forgettable and bland for the most part. The front looks elegant and the doors have the classier pull type door handles you usually see on luxury cars, but the rear end has no style to it whatsoever (it just looks like a box). The options sheet completely sucks though. Mitsu only offers ABS and side airbags on the LS model which only comes with an automatic! Why is it they think people who want those safety features only want to drive an auto?? The OZ Rally edition is the nicest looking of the trio, but it lacks the wood trim of the LS model and really should have some kind of performance addition over the other models to make it stand out more. I think Mitsu could have down a much better job with this car. As it stands, it is a competent car that will most likely get lost in the compact segment.
    Being a long-time reader of various forums, I've found your observations about Hyundai products in various forums to be candidly refreshing. I haven't driven a Lancer yet, but will definitely pay attention to the interior. I think you're right about the Lancer getting lost in the compact-car segment, unless Mitsu does sound major marketing. The news on packages is disappointing...whatever happened to 'the customer is always right, give 'em what they want'?
  • rysterryster Posts: 480
    Heading to the local Mitsu dealer today to take a look at the '02 Lancer. The dealer has 10 in inventory. The OZRally is the flashiest model, but I prefer ABS on my vehicles so will look at the ABS equipped LS they have. I could always put aftermarket wheels on it...It is a very nice looking automobile in pictures. Will have to see how it is in person...
  • rysterryster Posts: 480
    Well, never got around to looking at the Lancer. Sort of lost interest after reading numerous reviews. The general consensus is that it is a wonderfully built automobile. The thing that makes me hesitant is the 120hp engine. Even 150 or 160 would be better. The Lancer is a rather heavy compact car, so there will definitely be a lack of "pep". Granted, I haven't driven the car. After what I have read, however, I have no desire to even look at them anymore.
  • I drove the Lancer LS sedan and was very impressed. It feels more like 135hp than the advertised 120hp. It has zero hesitation and revs nicely, all in a quiet interior. The steering is excellent! The steering is pleasantly light yet accurate. This car won't sell as many units as the Civic or Corolla, but IMHO it's a MUCH nicer car. Only two very minor gripes after the test drive: 1) MPG advertised on the website didn't match the EPA on the sticker --- which showed 24/30. It was advertised MUCH higher... 2) Digital clock is virtually unreadable in sunlight. No lip was placed above it to block the sun. Nitpicky I know, but when if you forget to put on your watch, you gotta put your palm on the dash to block the sunlight. This is a great car ! Salesman gave the sob story about "we only got around $900 markup in this car, I doubt you could buy it at less than full MSRP". Sheesh...
  • The Lancer is a base model, mega-large production run... Mark ups!!!??? Thats freakin crazy!!! >:|
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I just configured one on their web site and didn't look to bad. From the side with the alloy wheels and the color keyed mirrors and door handles, this car doesn't look half bad. I wonder if it will have that goodness and quality feel of my Corolla? If it does, I could be very tempted to get one when I trade my 6 year old Corolla DX next year. I really would rather buy a 2nd or 3rd year run of a new model. 1st year models sometimes have bugs in them that need to be workd out. If their model run is 5 years like Toyota and Honda, a 4th year version is when they usually make cosmetic and some minor inside changes also. Funny, if one just had all the money for one's every want...
  • The lancer has been out for a year in the rest of the world... But much can be discused about the questionable Mitsubishi quality as of late :p
  • MITSUBISHI RULES

AND THEN THATS IT!!!!!!!!

CUZ I GOT A 99 LANCER WAGON(not sold in us)
    and i like it cuz it's really nice, good, no mechanicals troubles after 20.000 miles.

Just Nice.
  • In my opinion, is the worst looking car out right now. Why did they even bring this thing to the US,with the audacity not to offer a EVO/276 HP+ version. I assume that will be arriving in the next 1 or 2.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    "Road Test: 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer" has just been posted on Edmunds.com - click on the link provided in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page to check it out.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • this new 2002 mitsu lancer is pretty much garbage. i can't even believe people are considering buying this thing. just finished reading the edmunds review and all i got out of it was that it's just a big, ugly looking paperweight. just look at the numbers! 10.5 sec to 60 mph! ahhh! that's got to be slower than an '81 chevette! 17.8@77.4 for the 1/4 mi. wow. absolutely bland if not down right ugly styling, inside and out. the ONLY things i can possibly see going for this thing are the decent braking and slalom numbers. but everything else...garbage. the horrible stereo system? did anybody read the stereo review? come on now! and all this for a $17,000 car?! please, the civic, corolla, sentra (can you say spec-v?), cavalier, focus, and just about every other compact out there will beat this pansy lancer in every evaluation hands down and for thousands (!) less. save for the spec-v which will be about 18K, but will just completely demolish the lancer in every aspect, for 1-2k more! wake up people! this mitsu is an absolute waste of money! imho.
    let's just wait for the evo, ok?

by the way, this ain't no attack on anybody, so please just put the guns away. i'm just comparing facts with some opinion in the mix, just like you guys.

just my .02

peace
  • timtrantimtran Posts: 29
    de toute facon, "le chien aboie mais la caravane passe."
  • en ingles, por favor?

translation: "hello? in english, please?"
  • After I saw the commerical several weeks ago, I saw at least 2 Lancers in the Chicago area. 1 is yellow and the other one is black.

It is not a good-looking car but I will still wait for the EVO VII !
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    One bu!! ugly car! With uninspiring features and performance!

But the EVO 7 is going to be worth the wait.

Quite similar, really, to the Subaru Impreza situation. The RS (base) is and has always been ugly and a bad performer, but the Impreza WRX is a whole different animal. And people are snapping them up, despite the awful looks :-) (Even I'm considering the WRX for a future purchase in about a year!)

I just hope I don't have to see any Lancer's on the road, after the glimpse I got at the dealership - I'm still traumatised. And they're selling them at sticker, too - imagine that!
  • Theres a dark grey metallic OZ edition at a dealer that surprizlingly looks nice (the color helps) but that rear end just looks soooo disperportionate...
  • trd4metrd4me Posts: 14
    I just read in one of the tuner/import car magazines (couldn't remember which but it has the EVO VII on the cover this month) that Mitsubishi is definitely releasing the EVO in the US late '02 or mid '03. It was announced at their latest sales conference, but supposed to be kept quiet for awhile. They did it in face of increasing demand for the Subaru WRX. So don't be mistaken, the Lancer is not the EVO in any shape or form. It's just a mirage with a different cover. Also, with the release of the EVO, expect Subaru to counter with its WRX Sti.
  • but then again, I drive an Echo!! Have seen two on the road in the past few days, a silver one (exactly like the one on the tv commercial where the dopey people are singing that stupid song), and a dark (almost navy) blue one.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I recently test drove both the manual and automatic equipped Lancer. I was shocked with how much I ended up liking the car. The interior is this car's strong point as its spacious, very comfortable, and very quiet. Rear seat passengers sit high and have amazing foot space underneath the front seats. There is also plenty of legroom. The front seats are firm, yet plush. I had no problems getting comfortable. I really liked the layout and design of the dashboard and the blue gauge lighting was cool. The fabric had a nice pattern and was of high quality, except for the cloth used on the doors which looked industrial and felt rough. The 2-tone gray scheme was very attractive. The doors closed with a solid quiet thunk. No rattles were heard during the test-drive and the whole car felt very solid. In fact, almost nothing was heard at all! This car has an amazingly quiet engine! Some road noise is heard once you get up to 60, but the engine is barely audible until you push it beyond 4K rpms. The engine is extremely smooth, willing to rev, and provides plenty of power, even with the auto. The layout under the hood is very clean and easy to service. The manual tranny had a smooth engaging clutch but the shifter wasn't the best. The auto shifted smooth and seemed willing to downshift. The ride is plush, although body lean in turns is noticeable and handling feels about average. The steering is real light and quick, which makes the Lancer feel light on its feet around town, but I wonder if its dull sense of str8 ahead and too quick action would make it more tiresome on a highway once road imperfections, high speeds, and crosswinds are taken into account. The brakes had good initial bite, but didn't feel all that powerful. The trunk is a bit on the small side and the rear end styling is still too bland. However, the front is stylish and the Lancer looks elegant in Royal Blue Pearl. One advantage to the Lancer's styling its its excellent visibility with the use of large side windows and a low trunk. Parallel parking in this car would be much easier than most newer cars with their ridiculously high wedge shape profiles that makes seeing anything directly behind you difficult if not impossible.

Overall, I liked how the Lancer drove and ended up walking away quite impressed. Its quiet, stylish, roomy, and comfortable interior, peppy engine, solid structure, and quality feel are enough to offset its dorky rear-end styling, too soft ride, and smallish trunk. This is definitely a good choice for someone who doesn't want a me-too Civic or Corolla. Anyone else driven the Lancer that would like to share their impressions?
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    but lacking substance and perceived reliability.....
  • dweezildweezil Posts: 271
    on Van Nuys Blvd. a month or so ago.
    Here's the shocker: last version of a Mitsubishi compact, the Mirage sold 32,000 units last year- 75% of them to rental agencies [AutoWeek, last week].The OZ edition on the lot was 15,800 with 1000 dollars of dealer packs and an ADDITIONAL DEALER MARKUP OF TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!! $18,800 for a vehicle that is no more than a warm version of the standard Lancer, for which there is no such demand that would justify a 2000 premium over the MSRP. These people are sooo clueless.Especially with those dopey ads.
    It's a shame, because the car is quite good looking to me. The interior is cheap looking with upholstery that looks like left over cloth from 57 DeSoto production [the Chrysler connection again?]but not enough to qualify it as "retro".Not a great leap beyond the Mirage.You can't get one without power windows,which is, to me, needless complexity and expense. Use that money to improve the upholstery, Mitsubishi.[While I like the DeSoto upholstery, I am not the ordinary buyer either:one of my cars is a 63 Valiant, but others probably won't!]
    I would really consider this as my next vehicle; but the sort of audacity and arrogance shown at this dealership, if any indicator, will scare people away from what is really a pretty neat vehicle.Do they want to sell em or DUST em???
    Over all I like it. The regular Lancer, without all that corny OZ junk on it is very handsome.Now do some DE-Contenting on it and lower the price,and they might sell a few......or have I just read the next generation Neon's future????
This discussion has been closed.