Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS Dealers and Service Issues

bda1bda1 Posts: 3
Has anyone experienced noisy (squeaky) brakes on the LS430? Has the problem been resolved successfully and how?

Comments

• I heard a momentary grinding sound one time when it was foggy. only once. Tony
  • Was it with the windows up or down? With the windows up, I can hardly hear anything outside. A couple times I heard some minor rattle noise from the trunk area but wasn't able to ID it.
  • mheni1mheni1 Posts: 41
    Navigation system came with my new LS430...version 2000--I believe. When will 2002 upgrade be available? Will Lexus notify ?
  • Folks, I have to confess -- I can't stand any rattles or noises in the car. That's why I am looking forward to driving a Lexus. Of course, I could probably afford only a used one, maybe 1995-1997. All cars I had until now (even new ones) literally drive me crazy with rattles, squeaks, and other noises. Lexus LS400 has a vault-quiet reputation. Is it true?
    Also, how was your dealer experience? I had awful experience with Toyota dealers, hope it's not the case with Lexus. If you can recommend a Colorado dealership I would be most grateful. Thank you.
  • stickballstickball Posts: 2
    Hi folks... I have a 94 LS400 and just love the car. Best car I ever owned. I bought it a year ago with 100K miles on it, and the previous (and only...) owner kept it in immaculate shape with full service records. Just before I bought it (like a week before...), it had a major service done, including timing belt, tires, alignment, belts, fluids, nuts & bolts, etc. I've taken it religiously to the dealer for 5k oil changes. Vehicle currently has 115k on it. Now the dealer tells me I'm gonna need a $900 service to change plugs, fluids, etc. Tell me... is it worth it? Am I being snookered here? Thanks for the input...
  • trmgatrmga Posts: 50
    Stickball--I have a 93 GS-300 with 123,000 miles on it. Bought it new. I have only taken it to the Lexus dealer once. That was for the free 5,000 mile check and oil change. Only other maintenance was at about 80,000 miles and that was to have the trunk lid struts replaced, timing belt replaced, water pump replaced--belt and pump was strictly preventative maintenance and it was done at a Toyota dealer for just about 1/2 the cost that the Lexus dealer would have charged. All oil changes have been done at the local Toyota dealership for about $20 each time. The Lexus dealerships are a huge rip off. Read the owner's manual and you will see that most everything is "check and inspect". That's BS. Change the oil regularly, keep good records and you will have no warranty problems. As the car gets older find a good, reliable, foreign car repair shop and let them do the work. Make sure you get good references however before you go to one of them. My car looks and runs like new. Zaino it once or twice a year as it gets older and it will always look new. Hope this saves you many thousands of dollars over the years. It has me.
  • stickballstickball Posts: 2
    Thanks for the informative message. I'll check around for Toyota dealers that handle Lexus oil change. Actually, I called the nearest toyota dealer once for that and was told that they couldn't get the oil filter for the vehicle. I'll try other Toyota dealers. I REALLY hate getting ripped off by dealer service shops, and I'll do almost anything to avoid them. You wouldn't know a good repair shop in Atlanta, would you...? :)

Thanks again...
  • trmgatrmga Posts: 50
    Sorry Stickball. I'm in Wiliamsburg, VA.
  • tle104tle104 Posts: 5
    It not an ad.I have 5 LS-400,(91,93,94,96 &97) all are taken care by this shop, changed oil @ 3,000 miles w/ synthetic oil ( a little bit expensive but worth for a lexus ), brake works, alternator, antenna replaced.......Because All my 400 are very reliable so no need big engine work since 96.Great place for maintenance works.The owner wife owns a LS 400- 1998, mecanician drive a Ls 400-1994.So it's a very good place to trust w/ very reasonable price.
    Name :Summit auto service, Inc.in DECATUR 404-373-7070. Japanese cars only, not german or domestic cars.
  • wgg1wgg1 Posts: 2
    I was warned by the Lexus service dept. not to use any of the quick oil change services such as Oil Express, Jiffy Lube, etc because the LS 430 is unique or difficult (? in some way) to do an oil/filter change. They told a story where the oil was not replaced properly and ruined the engine. The cost difference is about $75, not to mention the hassle. Any feedback will be appreciated
  • I just purchased this car from a single owner who maintained well at dealer all the time.
    I am getting Engine Check light. I checked all the fluids, they are OK. Should I take to dealer?
    Any suggestions? barrynj
  • Hi folks...from reading previous posts, I'm getting the impression that many of you have a low opinion of Lexus dealer service shops. Is this pretty universal?
    I've been buying used luxury cars; until a recent job change, I used to commute 50 miles each way and ended up putting on 25-30K miles per year, so my used luxury cars, if not high mileage when I bought them, ended up being high mileage.
    Currently I have a 95 Cad deVille, which was pretty reliable until I hit 150K miles, then it's $500 here and $1000 there every 6-10 weeks. I've been using a local independent shop and the dealer to make repairs. My Cad dealer service advisor is arrogant, condescending, and intimidating and I'm determined not to buy another Cad.
    The relevance here is that I'm contemplating buying a 96-97 LS 400. (I have a friend who is an independent used car dealer and can get me a good price, so I won't buy it from a Lexus dealer.) My concern is that I'm hesitant because the local Lexus dealer/service shop is owned by the same company that owns the Cad dealership. My questions:
    1) Do the BAD Lexus dealer shops outnumber the GOOD Lexus dealer service shops?
    2) Anyone have any insight to these multi-brand dealership "families"? Is there any possibility that the Lexus service shop might be managed better than the Cad shop?
    3)Is there any repair on a LS400 that can't be done by an independent shop? Do I need to have a relationship with the dealer?
    Thanks for any input--
    Regards,
    Herschel53
  • I've used both the Lexus of Alexandria and Lexus of Rockville in the DC area. Both are excellent, but expensive (Alexandria more so than Rockville). They are honest, forthright and a pleasure to deal with. Except for replacement of my GS 400 remote door device (front right), neither my wife nor I, in 12 years of Lexus, have ever had anything done to them other than the "big" check-ups. We change oil elsewhere -- and cheaper.
  • I am thinking about purchasing a new LS 430 within the next 6 months. Can someone give me some insights concerning a fair price range that was paid for a new LS 430 in 2002? Additionally, can someone give me insights on the cost of maintenance work for the LS 430?
  • at my dealership, Ray Catena in NJ. They also sell Jaguar, MB and some other brands in different stores.
    Service isn't inexpensive, but I get first class service, i.e.:
    Current year Lexus as free loaner
    Limo service to local mall or other location
    free food and beverages
    nice lounge with TV
    putting green
    computer driven virtual golf (hit ball into a screen and see where it ends up) with a series courses available. Bummer here is I don't play any better!
    and other touches.
  • Posted this in the bigger chat room (#918). A little over a year ago my digital dash failed when the outside temp was 32 degrees. It now does it below 60 degrees but once the cabin temp reaches warm, it starts flickering and finally comes on to stay. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes. I really consider it a safety factor as much as an inconvenience, i.e. no rpm, no speedometer, no gear position to name a few. Have seen this problem in the big LS400 chats, but no resolutions yet. Can you help? Facing cooler weather here now in North Carolina.
  • trmga- what is the address and phone number of this good repair shop? I will be getting a lexus soon, and if this repair shop is good then i will take it their although i live in Hampton- thanks
  • HEY GUYS, I AM SEEKING A 2000 LEXUS LS400 WHICH HAS 38,000 MILES AND IS SELLING AT $39,000, I GOT THE DEALERSHIP TO SELL IT TO ME AT $37,000. IS THAT A REAL GOOD DEAL OR DO I NEED TO PERSUADE HIM INTO LOWERING THE PRICE? WHAT IS A SUGGESTED PRICE THAT I COULD POSSIBLY GET THE DEALERSHIP INTO SELLING THE CAR TO ME? I DROVE THE CAR AND I LOVE IT, IS THERE ANY REASON I SHOULD NOT BUY THIS CAR? AND WHAT ARE SOME COMMON PROBLEMS? CAN I EXPECT TO DRIVE THIS CAR TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF? ALL ADVICE IS HELPFUL THANK YOU!
  • egomanegoman Posts: 2
    I am always amazed that people will spend thousands of dollars on a premium product and then jeopardize future enjoyment by turning it over to non-qualified technicians or possibly ending up with used/substandard parts.

Look, no one wants to throw good money away needlessly, but these type of vehicles are not disposable or simple. They are extremely sophisticated and if you truly want years of happiness, belly up to the bar, pay the piper and move on.

And no, I do not work for any automotive company. I do work for a producer of luxury jewelry and watches. The same applies here. Why spend $20k on a wristwatch and take it to someone who is not qualified or experienced and may not use appropriate parts?? This makes no sense. But hey, this is America, it is your car. Go ahead and roll the dice if you want.

Finally, I currently have a 98 MB E320, completely serviced at dealerships. While I have had no problems with the vehicle, my next car will probably be a Lexus because MB service is awful. No loaner vehicles, poor waiting areas, waiting for appointments. As anyone can see above, I will pay for premium service, but MB is not even in the game compared to Lexus.

Peace... Egoman
  • I'm a proud LS400 owner & also have 2 Toyota Cam's,which are excellent vehicles. The 92 has 205,000 miles and has been passed to my son in college & runs like a kitten. I refused to drive a Lexus until I knew I could get one as all the reading on them captivated me & I hoped..."One Day". Well I wasn't ready but drove one anyway,
    & was thinking.."New Avalon or used Lexus". This went on 4 6 months until a guy put it all in a nut shell. "The Avalon is a great car, But if U got one...evrytime U saw a Lexus...U would wish
    U had chosen that"...But in a lexus, Yuo will just smile & b glad U choose it. Best Car I have ever owned & driven. I have quickly put 80,000 trouble free miles on it & plan to drive it until I can get me the used 2001 or 2002.