Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus LS Dealers and Service Issues

Comments

• jmcraneyjmcraney Posts: 19
    Permeation loss of up to 1 PSI per month is considered normal. Also a gain or loss (gain for increasing temperature and loss for decreasing temperature) of up to 1 PSI per 10 degrees Fahrenheit is normal. So, I would say that your situation is within normal expectations. That is why your tires need to be checked and air added regularly. Nitrogen has some marginally better characteristics, both permeation and temperature coefficient, but if you are having to pay very much for it, it is not worth it.

All tires have always exhibited these characteristics and many premature failures and catastrophic failures are the result of prolonged operation while they are under-inflated due to inattention. That is the main impetus for the NHTSA mandated Tire Pressure Measurement Systems that were required by law beginning with all 2008 model cars and light trucks sold in the US. While you might find it annoying to be reminded so forcefully by your car that the tires are under inflated it is for your own safety. There is no substitute for adding more air or nitrogen to your tires periodically.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Posts: 329
    Thanks jmcraney for your very informative reply. I wish the Lexus guys had been able to put it like that. They just made it sound like double-talk.

Renny
  • My mother owns a 2005 LS 430 and as it was nearing the end of its warranty period she wanted to buy a factory extended warranty. She went to Longo Lexus (El Monte, CA) and bought what she thought was a Lexus factory extended warranty from Rachel Amin Financial Svc Manager there. Three weeks later my mother discovered that she was sold a 3rd party warranty! When I saw this and told me I was in shock, I never expected a Lexus dealership, especially a large one, to take advantage of a customer like this. What a rip off!!

I went to the dealer with my mother and spoke with Rachel Amin. When I told her about her ripoff she immediately said that the reason she sold my mom the 3rd party warranty was because the Lexus factory warranty was much more expensive. At no time during the original sale did Rachel present my mom with the option to choose between the two warranties and tell her the pricing of the two. My mother asked for an extended warranty and was only presented with one which she bought assuming it was the Lexus warranty. My mother paid $2,000 for 7 yr/100K mile $50 ded warranty by "Motor Warranty Servies of North America" . The Lexus warranty 7 yr/100K mile $0 ded is $2,900 MSRP and $2,100 at Molle Toyota which my mother bought. Longo Lexus agreed to refund the purchase of the original contract.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I'm pretty sure the Lexus (Toyota) warranty can be had for less than $1000 if you shop around. NEVER buy the extended warranty from the dealer selling you the vehicle.

HUGE source of income for the dealer's "financial" manager.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 302
    I've read many simple fix/improvements on many different types of vehicles. It's interesting that the car makers didn't think of these little things while designing the cars. In this case, Lexus has the ability to come up with laser cruise control but failed to do a simple protective cover. Why? Same as those 3m headlight films. It costs very little, but will save you hundreds of dollars. I don't understand why car makes don't do those during production.
  • cargovancargovan Posts: 10
    Yes, I have four Bridgestone ER 33. I also have factory rim with tire size 245/45/18. You can't always think that once air is filled in tires at the recommeded psi, that it will stay that way for a long time without needing to check them. Experts say that tire pressure should be checked at least monthly. I check them weekly. This is good practice toward long tire life, better handling and most of all best gas mileage possible. Don't forget to rotate and balance them regularly.
    This normal with all cars whether they are Lexus or not. If you haven't check tire pressure in 5 months chances you will experience air loss. Do yourself a favor, check your tires bi weekly or even monthly. By doing so, your tires will receive longer tires, better gas mileage and improved handling.
    It all depends on how well you know these quick oil change shop. Do you have a mechanic whom you trust to do the job right? To me, it is not difficult because I do my own oil changes. If you think that the cost isn't an issue, go the the dealership for the oil change. If you trust outside repair shop to do your oil change, then go to the outside repair shop to do your oil changes. Changing your oil regularly keep your car running in peak condition.
    You may want to look into a certified pre-owned. I purchased a 2003 LS 430 in July of 2007. I am pleased with my certified pre-owned purchase. Also look at edmunds.com to further your own research on LS 430. I think that cost of maintenance work on LS 430 is less than European cars.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I think that cost of maintenance work on LS 430 is less than European cars.

That has also been my experience......about 50% less.
  • bab55bab55 Posts: 1
    Just bought a used 2005 LS 430 fully loaded.Unable to close the trunk since yesterday.No accidents,Any ideas?
    Also the car now has 65850 miles and the red triangular light with the message "maintenance reqd" shows up. Do I have to go to a dealer?Can independent repair shops fix both problems?I live in Ocean County,NJ
  • To reset,
    Turn key to on position and push the odo/trip button to change the display to blank.
    Turn the ignition switch off.
    Turn key to on position with the trip meter reset button held down at the same time.
    Should take 5-8 seconds.
    Turn the ignition switch off,
    Problem solved
    Sorry but can't help with the trunk.
  • I'm looking for an extended warranty for my 2009 LS 430 but haven't been able to find anything for less than $1000. I found a Toyota warranty for less than $1000 but they don't cover Lexus. If you know of a good site for Lexus warranties, please let me know. Thank you!
    Strange, it's a Toyota extended warranty that Lexus always sold me.
  • try Molle Toyota in Kansas. You can buy over the tel. www.molletoyota.com It will probably be a little more than $1,000 for the factory warranty
  • Thanks! I will definitely give Molle Toyota a call. The last time I spoke to Toyota, they told me they only sell extended warranties for Toyota, not Lexus.
  • I called Molly Toyota and got a quote for 8yr/100k mi for $2,585.
  • Are you talking about a 2009 LS 460, or a 2006 LS 430? Or is it a used 430 that you are buying in 2009?
  • I have a 2006 LS 430 that I bought new 3 years ago. The original warranty has not expired yet.
  • I'm a new lexus owner and am already experiencing problems with my dealer, Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly VA.

I purchased a car last Fall and have visited this dealer for recommended service and to fix a problem with the nonfunctional SOS feature -- their version of OnStar. What I have noticed so far is that they generally ignore their customers after the sale.

I have told them repeatedly that the parking brake on the car needs adjusting so that you don't have to literally push it completely to the floor to get it to hold the car stationary (and who designs floor pedal parking brakes these days?). Both times they have failed to adjust it even though the loaner car they gave me which is identical to mine had the pedal adjusted correctly.

The SOS/OnStar issue took two months to resolve (had to take the car in twice to finally have it serviced). This meant that the 12 month access to this service that is included with a new car was shortened by the amount of time it took to fix it. I approached Mr. Scot Brewer on the issue and he copied my service form and took my contact information, telling me he'd get back to me. Of course, he didn't. I called twice only to have him dodge my calls with the standard "he's in a meeting" line they give all their customers when they want something from them.

I realize this complaint may sound trite compared to some issues others have, but if they respond so poorly for minor issues I'm wonder what a colossal failure they will present handling a major one. Overall, my initial impression of Pohanka service does not match what they would have you believe when they are trying to sell you a car. I hear good things about their competitor, Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria. At least i have a fallback position if Pohanka continues to suck so hard.
  • jbianco12jbianco12 Posts: 125
    Hi. Usually Lexus service is pretty good. However if you're having trouble, try calling the main Lexus customer service number. They are located in Torrance, CA. I'll bet your dealer will jump on your service request pronto.
  • tony1022tony1022 Posts: 5
    The information display box in my 98 ls 400 always displays " low washer fluid" even though the reservoir is full.No one has an idea what the problem might be.

Was thinking about a computer problem but it may not be that and all of you here know what happen when u take your lexus to the dealer.They want an arm and a leg.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

thanks.
  • how much transmission fluid does my 91 lexus Ls400 holds in the pan?
    Everything that the torque converter doesn't.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    edited March 2010
    The pan holds only 3.5 to 4 quarts of approximately 14 quart total capacity (the TC contains about 6 or 7 quarts, the rest is in the valve body, actutators and their pathways, plus the plumbing and transmission fluid cooler).
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,986
    The little float that measures it must be stuck. Just take the tank out and measure the switch continuity with the float up and float down and see which isn't working--the float or the switch.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited April 2010
    Hah..easy to say.. but just taking the tank out would be a big deal, let alone measuring the switch continuity with the float up and down.But i greatly appreciate your input.

tony.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,986
    Oh---the labor rate to remove that reservoir didn't look too bad. I think it was .6 of one hour. Not so bad. Courage man! :P

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• ps79ps79 Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced a failure of the USB port for MP3 use in the LS460. Lexus is saying there is no repair for the port.
    edited November 2010
    The fuses seem to be ok but the front cigarette lighter on my Lexus LS 430
    doesn't work. What could be wrong here?