Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Isn't the cause surface rust on the pressure plate? I think that's why it's worse on a cold, damp morning.

-juice
  • Juice, interesting. I never had this clutch shudder problem on any other car. I never noticed so much rust as on the Subaru' brakes on any other car either. Of course the rust disappears after a little use.
  • Is it me, or is it more noticeable on cold damp mornings, and especially when starting in reverse?
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    it's not rust, but yes it is high spots on the clutch lining and flywheel. and yes, sometimes scuffing can fix it if the diaphragm is still working properly.

-c
  • Thanks for the info. I learned about lightening up on the brakes after a hard stop and I do that as autmatically as I double clutch now. Usually my hard braking is highway from 70-80 to 40-50 and not to a complete stop. I try to never sit on my brakes at a stop and try to roll slowly so the pads don't sit on any one spot on the rotor. No biggie though, I'll check the lug bolts torque. thanks for the info, all.
  • Ok, I'm sitting here in the middle of a big snowstorm in eastern NY state, and wondering if anyone is driving a WRX Wagon in it, and how it's working out? And should I go out and by myself one tomorrow, because I got myself stuck 6 times on a 1 mile drive to work just now (I just love how the plows leave a monster snowbank right at the entrance to my apartment complex...).
  • Well, I actually had to drop my wife at work and pick her up on Saturday in northern NJ (7 miles each way) and my WRX wagon ploughed through like a champ, not even a skid here or there. The majority of the vehicles on the road were buses, trucks, SUVs, audis and of course, subbies. I should say, I am VERY VERY impressed. My last car had ABS and Traction control and was not even close.
  • Get snow tires, no matter what kind o car you have. They make a huge difference.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    My '96 Legacy GT Wagon is almost as bad as anything else right now. The original Potenzas were never very good foul-weather tires, I'm due for a change.
  • Ok so a WRX should be great so long as the OEM tires are replaced? I'm not one to bother with snows in the winter (mostly because I know if I do there won't be so much as a flake all winter).

Actually, this presents an interesting buying point...why bother with the 17 inch rims/tires option if you're going to replace the OEM tires anyway, right? I just need to find some good all-season rubber for it (Probably on the stock 16 inch rims...I know 17s would be better for handling, but Dutchess County's roads tend to be a little rough and patched a lot, and I'll need to save my tailbone a bit).

My 2 options right now are to do a short to mid-sized lease right now and then take a loan to take the buyout at the end, or wait until September (need to pay off a loan) and do an outright buy (timing works well on that since by next Sept the 04s should have incentives and the dealers might give better prices). I'm stretching myself as it is planning on the WRX rather than oan OBS, but somehow I don't think I'd forgive myself if I settled for an OBS (and the limited slip rear diffy should help with snow traction even more).
  • Don't do the lease & buyout - it's just like taking out a second loan. You'll be much more at ease with yourself and your WRX if you wait until your other loan is paid off. Plus, you should get a better price on an '04 in the second half of next year. There ends my lesson on personal finances :)

-Chris
  • I added a set of Prodrive mudlaps a few weeks ago. Excellent quality, and I'm very happy with the way they look. Hopefully they'll provide a little extra protection to the sides of the car this winter. Some pictures:

http://members.cox.net/redscooby/Car/103_0396_1.jpg
    http://members.cox.net/redscooby/Car/103_0398_1.jpg

-Chris
  • 1hokie1hokie Posts: 36
    I just posted on the non-wagon wrx topic here at edmunds about the east coast snow. One thing to add here - tires. The OEM's seem "fine" to me - that being said, they don't impress me, but they don't disappoint for everyday driving. Even through 10" of snow, I didn't have a problem. Winter tires would have been even better - a tempting option to get since I'm all about getting performance in all weather (hence the WRX). But then I was also thinking of getting a set of 17's for the spring/summer/fall - for better styling, and improved handling (so I can push the car like I shouldn't). But then what do I do with the OEM tires with 13k miles on them?

So, for now, and for my wallet's sake, the OEM's will do just fine.
  • I'm in Northern NJ and got my '04 WRX wagon outfitted with snow tires (Dunlop WinterSport M2's) a few days before the snow. I got home before things got dicey and stayed home through the storm. I went for a spin after digging out on Sunday and looked for unplowed side roads to play on. I couldn't get the car to break loose without driving like a maniac, which I don't do, especially through neighborhoods. The car seemed super-safe and it was lots of fun trying.

Next time I'll have to get out there while things are really bad. No worries. This is Northern NJ -- we'll get more snow!

Jim
  • My WRX wagon's wheel wells collect more ice than any other car I've ever owned. I spent twenty minutes chopping ice from the rear springs and wheel wells this morning. The coils were filled with rock hard ice. What gives?
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    My WRX wagon does that, so does my OBS and did my OB :) Putting on mudflaps did helped reduce the accumulation.

-Dave
  • any one know if mudflaps are available yet for '04 WRX wagons? I know they are for 03's, but I think the 03's won't fit on '04's because of the design change. I'm not certain about this though.

I would love to get a set on my wagon - they are a boon all year round (especially in winter) and I like the way they look.

Jim
    Wax your wheels!

Seriously, that keeps them clean and slippery, slush and ice will not stick to them.

They are painted, so just use the same wax you use on the rest of the car. It's easiest to do it when you are rotating your tires.

-juice
  • Juice, there is little to no build up on the wheels. Its the wheel wells and springs that accumulate all the ice.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Some people spray the wheelwells with oil or silicone spray, so the ice doesn't stick. I think some rally teams do as well.

My last Subaru was really good at locking the front wheels staight ahead with ice. Entertaining.
    I haven't had that problem. My Forester has mud flaps, I guess that might help. Those do get "full", so when I stop I kick off the slush that accumulates onto them.

Stuff in the wheel well won't through the wheels off balance because that is sprung weight, so it's less of a concern that ice forming on the wheels themselves.

-juice
  • Had our first decent snowfall today (I'm guessing around 4 inches) which was preceded by freezing rain just to make things nice and slick. Even with mudflaps on, I had the same problem with packed snow in the wheel wells going from the bottom of the mudflap to about 3/4 of the height of the wheel. Had to spend a few minutes on the driveway in the windchill digging it out before pulling into the garage.

On the plus side though, I was impressed with the WRX's traction from a standstill and also with the way it handled unplowed neighbourhood streets. It was fun to experience a little 'four wheel drift' on some low-speed corners when nobody was around. I'm sure the traction would be even better with winter tires instead of the OEMs.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    I used silicone spray to help with the buildup on the Outback's mudflaps. The springs had a little buildup, but I didn't even think to spray them.

Thanks for the tip, pathstar! :-)

-Dennis
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Spraying oil or silicone on the mudflaps is an idea, but on the wheel wells I'm not too eager. Mainly that the oil or silicone may be transfered to the rotors via unstuck snow/ice. Might make braking a thrilling adventure.

-Dave
  • Dave,
         Excellent point!
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    that's simply not gonna happen dave. there's no reasonable way for it to get down from the wheel well past the tire onto the rotor, for one.

two even if it did it would be an insignificant amount and it would be burned off instantly.

-Colin
  • Colin,
      Thanks, that's a relief. How about from the coils?
      While we're on the subject of ice, last winter I had to use a credit card on several occasions to open the gas filler lid due to freezing over. Anyone else have this problem?
  • OEM tires are just fine in snow. No, not as good as dedicated snow tires, but perfectly adequate. People who say the OEM's are terrible in snow are either driving way too aggresively for the conditions, or have unrealistic expectations.
  • It looks like the WRX has been left off the list for the first time. Being the mercenary I am, I'll take advantage of the situation and recommend the new and improved STi WAGON as the way to get back on.
  • I'm not ready for new tires yet, but couldn't help look at TireRack after seeing some of the recent posts (what a great site for tire research). Until I bought the Scoob, I hadn't realized there was such a bewildering choice of tires!!

Can anyone explain the huge price difference between the Pilot Sport A/S ($167) and the ContiExtremeContact ($75)? They are rated 2 and 3 in their category, with the Pilot Sport scoring slightly higher in traction/handling and the Conti scoring slightly higher on comfort/wear (but the differences are marginal).

-Chris
This discussion has been closed.